Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Why do so few men take part in yoga.?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 ungadoodled
Msg: 201
Why do so few men take part in yoga.?Page 9 of 10    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)
I took a yoga class about 3 years ago, and i was in the back, and the teacher (male) said i would like to see one of those big muscly bodybuilders do a pose like this, im not a bodybuilder but i do alot of powerlifting. I yelled from the back, id like to see anyone here squat 700 lbs. LOL

Yoga - is a great. But you can suppliment yoga with stretching. Which should always be done before bed. Do not wake to yoga, the stretches will reduce power and elasticity in your muscle groups for the day. If its done before bed, you will recover and be fresh for the next morning.
 IdiotLuckBox
Msg: 202
view profile
History
Why do so few men take part in yoga.?
Posted: 12/15/2009 4:49:12 PM

i'm going on tuesday, hot yoga, morning (yuck), will report back on the good and bad and if i will return or not

was a great workout, has some good practical appliactions for the sports i like, hot chicks in the class certainly don't hurt either, would buy again, 10/10
 P-Willikers
Msg: 203
Posted: 1/19/2013 11:32:49 PM
Think yoga's not "manly" enough? Check this out...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pIgs03TYo4

....the "good" stuff starts around the 50 second mark....
Guruji had rediculous flexibility AND STRENGTH! Those backbends work the paraspinal muscles like nothing else!
Notice how there's not one quiver or shake during that whole sequence... tremendous muscular endurance!
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 204
view profile
History
Posted: 1/20/2013 2:34:54 AM

Its hard?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pIgs03TYo4

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Whoaaaaa He is something.

I would think that took some extraordinary discipline and time to be able to do.
Inspiring.

Notice how there's not one quiver or shake during that whole sequence... tremendous muscular endurance!

^^^^^^^^^^^
That is absolutely amazing..
 UPTOYOU65
Msg: 205
view profile
History
Posted: 1/20/2013 4:40:26 AM
I don't know why unless they think it's not a good workout. I have done yoga in the past and if you keep your form and hold your poses correctly it is without a doubt a good workout.
 Sciencetreker
Msg: 206
view profile
History
Posted: 1/20/2013 8:41:17 AM

don't think it will take long for the men in the west to catch up to the men in the east once they see what it can do for them on a very personal level.

Actually, it was like this since I started going to gyms in the early 1970's. Yoga was actually more popular then.

I've always worked out but no yoga for me but each totheir own. I get my 'clear mind', thoughts on track , etc, via physical activity...expecially running and hiking. As for stress relief,,,I don't have much stress, but feel better after a tough game of soccer or tennis....or great sex. Men are full of testosterone. I'm guessing a release of aggression in some form (no, not violence) probably soothes the beast. If I was sitting in a room full of yoga performing females, my thoughts would be focused on which ones I want to do the deed with.
 Midwest_Southwest
Msg: 207
Posted: 1/20/2013 9:16:47 AM
The guys I dated over age 45 resisted doing yoga, but it wasn’t because it wasn’t a good enough physical workout- it was resistance to the centering and mind/body element. That said, when I lived in a college town there were athletes from the university who went regularly, including some football linemen types. Pretty neat.
 sunriseguy5
Msg: 208
Posted: 1/20/2013 9:55:12 AM
i do yoga and i know some guys that do yoga too. I also do cardio via elliptical machine and body sculpting with free weights and circuit machines 5 times a week and yoga about once or twice a week. i am more of an intermediate beginner yoga practitioner. Yoga is great for the back and spine, and it improves my joint health and helps in my body sculpting and maintaining a athletic physique. who says yoga isn't manly? yoga aid in manliness because i get compliments from women about my athletic physique quite often. A nd more guys are doing yoga at my gym these days.
 Chipsss
Msg: 209
view profile
History
Posted: 1/20/2013 1:09:48 PM
I do Yoga sometimes. According to Geoffrey Devereux it also makes you physically stronger in such a way that does not involve muscle size.
 oldmannewlove
Msg: 210
Posted: 1/20/2013 4:09:59 PM
Well if I wouldn't have to be in public to do it I would probably try it, are there any books out there about men doing Yoga, can it be done in private. I need some form of exercise that is easy on me. I have known a lot of women who do yoga, I have never even heard of men doing it.
 sunriseguy5
Msg: 211
Posted: 1/20/2013 4:28:48 PM
dude, a lot of guys do yoga these days! in my gym, there are at least 10 guys on any given day. There nothing unmanly about yoga. the original yogis were dudes, dude. If you are self conscious, you could buy yoga dvds and do them at home. Rodney Yee is a famous yoga instructor and has dvds under Gaiam. Today i did yoga at home from a dvd, Tummy toners yoga with Rodney Yee and Cameron Shayne, both guy instructors, and this yoga workout is good for toning and sculpting the mid-section. That dvd runs for 45 mins if you do both Rodney and Cameron's workout back to back.

the thing about yoga, you got to take your time and don't push your yoga poses too hard or you could injure yourself. watch your pace and work within your limits because your flexibility and endurance will increase overtime.

namaste!
 Blueberryeggos
Msg: 212
Posted: 1/20/2013 9:33:11 PM
Tried a few classes. I just prefer intensity and impact. When my body is done with how I train I'll probably put more yoga in.
 LiterateHiker
Msg: 213
Posted: 1/21/2013 8:56:38 PM
Most men do not like to stretch.
 sunriseguy5
Msg: 214
Posted: 1/21/2013 9:17:03 PM
people usually have to stretch out before any workout or they may pull something or injure themselves. Most guys and gals at the gym stretch out for a few minutes before working out (me included)
 Sciencetreker
Msg: 215
view profile
History
Posted: 1/22/2013 8:34:37 AM
I never pull any muscles when running or doing weights. I never stretch. What I do is start out with moderate weights or just jog slowly then pick up the pace. Done this for decades.

The controversy on 'stretching' has been going on forever. Fewer athletes today stretch than in the past. Most today 'warm up'.

Keeping active gives us all the flexibility we need in life unless one has a medical issue. Extra flexibility is more of a performance variable neded in a specific sport, dance, etc. Even then, it can have a negtive impact on out structure in the long term.
 P-Willikers
Msg: 216
Posted: 1/22/2013 10:41:30 AM

Most men do not like to stretch.

Proper yoga is more about stability and alignment than it is about stretching. I've been in workshops where the teacher constantly points out the ex-ballerina's poses as an example of how they can be improved, because these women are TOO flexible....

Proper yoga works the deep stabilizing muscles like nothing else... and can make you exceptionally strong. In case you missed it... check out the you tube vid I posted a few posts back... if that's not inspiring to someone building their strength... that someone is f*cked up... just sayin'.

Oh and btw, "proper" yoga to me would be any studio that teaches the Iyengar method exclusively. These teachers are the best. An Iyengar studio would probably be the best choice for a man who is interested, but still might be bound by the bullshit cultural idea that "yoga's for girls"
 mikecheck44
Msg: 217
Posted: 1/22/2013 11:10:43 AM
I am more of the type inclined to be spirtually enlightened due to having some issues with separating my ego from my true inner self. Yoga and meditation is helpful for this. And I agree with the poster who says don't do it in the morning. I find myself wanting to sleep after a yoga session because I feel too relaxed to do much else.
 Coma White
Msg: 218
Posted: 1/24/2013 7:03:15 PM
I love yoga. My teacher would always say that yoga was originally designed for men.
I can understand why it doesn't appeal to some people but I'm really into meditation and I'm very patient so doing something slow like yoga really appeals to me.
 P-Willikers
Msg: 219
Posted: 1/25/2013 10:06:08 AM

What most don't seem to realize is Yoga is actually a part of Hinduism.

Where did you get that idea? I've got lots of books that talk about yogic philosophy and nowhere does it mention religion at all. Yes, some religious groups are adamantly against yoga, but it's all in their heads.... those rules are made up because people let their fear control their lives...
 BicyclingGal
Msg: 220
view profile
History
Posted: 1/25/2013 9:06:27 PM
Perhaps men think yoga is a wimpy exercise for women. I once was guilty of holding that opinion. Then one year I got into yoga and found out how much strength it takes, not to mention balance. If more men knew that their strength would be put to good use in yoga, and if they could find a class with many guys in it (not just the lone straggler in a class full of women as the OP mentioned), they might be more interested.
 jpwrnglrwmn_forumsonly
Msg: 221
Posted: 1/25/2013 11:52:02 PM
I was wondering when someone was going to mention that. .about the farting. :D One of my friends teaches yoga as a second job, and I've asked her if anyone has ever farted in her class. She said the day after I asked that, a woman in her class farted,and my friend (who was teaching the class) couldn't stop laughing. Maybe that's one of the reasons why I haven't attended a yoga class yet. I'm afraid that might be me. :D I do know that if someone did that, I wouldn't be able not to laugh. Yeah, I know everyone does it, but it's still funny. :D
 mikecheck44
Msg: 222
Posted: 1/26/2013 1:14:29 PM
lol @ the fart comment.
I remember doing a three mile run on the treadmill before doing yoga class once. It was the best yoga class I ever did, but I am certain everyone around me was a little disturbed by my sweat and stink.
 Robert122077
Msg: 223
Posted: 1/26/2013 3:15:04 PM
I'm a fan of Tony Horton's P90 routine's and he incorporates yoga into his program. The bit that I've done so far (what he calls "power yoga" right before the cardio routine) has benefited me immensely.

I think men in the U.S. are overly focused on "power" and "strength" to the determent of flexibility and endurance. I see so many guys who only lift, or power lift, who look awful and downright blubbery. Of course you do have the big "in shape" guys who don't stretch or do anything related to yoga,but they're almost always "stiff." Personally, I like to be able to pick up a dropped pen or pencil with the speed and grace of a jungle cat!
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 224
view profile
History
Posted: 1/26/2013 3:43:34 PM
That lead singer from Maroon Five..He can bring on the YOGA.

I think it's hot when a man does it and does it well.
 jpwrnglrwmn_forumsonly
Msg: 225
Posted: 1/26/2013 3:48:17 PM
Mikecheck: Well, at least you didn't let one go. :D I've never attended a yoga class before, but I imagine everyone doesn't smell like roses, especially those yoga classes where they crank up the temperature to make everyone sweat.

Robert: I've been considering trying a new exercise program. It's true, that quite a few of the weight lifting routines aren't really something you can incorporate into everyday life, unless you go around lifting boxes or heavy objects all day. Have been following the exercise programs in the Women's Health big book of exercises, but I'd like something new. . I know that diet plays a big part of seeing results, so I'm working on that even more, but was wondering how soon you saw results with Tony Horton's routine.
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Why do so few men take part in yoga.?