Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Profile Reviews  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 teamgreen
Msg: 2
Spelling! Pet peeve!Page 2 of 2    (1, 2)
i dont fink yous is! yous very perrdy also! wanna chitty chatty witha me? i wuv you very mucho
 wattafind
Msg: 5
Spelling! Pet peeve!
Posted: 6/16/2005 12:07:37 PM
While we're at it, let's get rid of all those Canadians with their goofy English-style spelling. There is no "U" in color!!
 teamgreen
Msg: 7
Spelling! Pet peeve!
Posted: 6/16/2005 1:18:19 PM
and you crazy american's should know it's pronounced "roof" not "ruf" even though it's spelt the same way
 airplane_geek
Msg: 8
Spelling! Pet peeve!
Posted: 6/16/2005 1:35:20 PM
While I think deleting an e-mail due to poor spelling is a little harsh, I think people should take the time to spell correctly. Granted, I'm not the best speller, it is a reflection on a person's education level, intellect (in most cases), and their attention to detail. Attention to detail (in my mind, anyhow) helps to determine if a person is a slob or not. Just something to think about next time you write a thread, e-mail or profile!
 airplane_geek
Msg: 12
Spelling! Pet peeve!
Posted: 6/16/2005 4:51:50 PM
No, it's not ment to be discriminitory at all. It's an insight into the person you are dealing with.
 NSpectr3
Msg: 17
Spelling: When to curb your pet peeve
Posted: 6/19/2005 8:46:42 PM
Y'know, Rogue, I'm the toughest spelling and grammar cop I know, and there are plenty of places where zero tolerance is a good thing, such as when evaluating a business proposal, storefront signage, party invitations, job postings, and such situations where a clear message is paramount. Dating sites are almost but not quite in that category.

There was a time when an online forum guaranteed a certain level of education and economic status. Now it increasingly reflects a broader constituency. I will grant you that faulty use of language often indicates carelessness or ineptitude. If it bugs you enough, use the fools' errors as a barometer of their worth in pursuit. You might consider, though, that now and again someone offers content compelling enough to transcend broken form.

Also understand that the most we get on these things is still pictures and text. We don't get auditory, gestural, or tactile stimuli ..... the other learning modes educators have identified. Some people with strengths in the latter group are thus at a disadvantage here.

Can you say with total confidence that your favorite radio jock "sounds ugly"? Does the theater box office girl have foot odor? Does the author of the book on your nightstand scratch himself a lot? Betcha just don't know. Your collected data is incomplete.

Oh, and guess what? Albert Einstein could never recall his own phone number. This to him was a waste of neural storage. Would you pass him by as a doddering clod if you never saw his physics notes?
 who_the_fox
Msg: 24
Spelling! Pet peeve!
Posted: 6/21/2005 4:12:47 PM
Back in the "dark ages" when I went to school, there was a distinct effort to preserve Canadian spelling. I believe that all changed sometime in the early to mid 80s as it didn't seem to be stressed when my kids were in school. As I am as old as dirt, I cling to spelling colour and neighbour and cheque the way I always have....
 who_the_fox
Msg: 30
Spelling! Pet peeve!
Posted: 6/21/2005 7:33:43 PM
A profile or an email gives a first impression. When someone doesn't take the time to proofread what they have written I take it to mean they aren't really interested or serious.
 HAHANOW
Msg: 31
Spelling! Pet peeve!
Posted: 6/21/2005 10:39:45 PM
wat I jest dont git it
Show ALL Forums  > Profile Reviews  >