Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > the 48 laws of power      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 decaturisgreater
Msg: 28
the 48 laws of powerPage 3 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
I prefer Twain.

A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.
 tattooeditalian
Msg: 29
the 48 laws of power
Posted: 11/6/2008 7:27:07 AM
the laws have been used since the dawn of man and they work even today.because even though we strive to think we are unlike the animals ,we are not. and these rules are just a civilized version of basic animal instinct.kill or be killed,survival of the fittest.use them and you should grow material wealth but that is all.
 Candra
Msg: 30
the 48 laws of power
Posted: 11/6/2008 9:38:36 AM
Ouch! OP, you've so thoroughly described a boss I had once (or maybe more than one)...he followed this strategy so closely that I'm certain he must have read this very book and decided to make it his bible for negotiating the corporate world...And, yes, he was and is a full-blown psychopath/sociopath (and alcoholic), and made the work place a misery for everyone...Eventually, it was the CUSTOMERS who took him down, the group of people he'd completely overlooked and under-estimated in his game of climbing the corporate ladder... I must say, however, unfortunately the corporate management world really IS this way, whether most of us want to believe/acknowledge it or not. I actually read statistics (from a psychology of management course I took a few years ago) that the corporate management field is more weighted with psycho/socio-pathic personalities than even the prisons. Think of the corporate leaders exposed in the Enron scandal, the mining disaster in Indonesia, and the current bank failures, to name just a few...self interest gone WILD.
 brewswain
Msg: 31
the 48 laws of power
Posted: 11/16/2008 8:16:25 AM
Its interesting to note that O'bama follows these guidelines. Notice laws numbered, 3,4,6,7,12,17,20,25,28,29,31,45, and 38 and take special note of numbers 27,32, 34 and 37.
 Scarlett_156
Msg: 32
the 48 laws of power
Posted: 11/16/2008 1:32:26 PM
This was very entertaining--thanks for sharing it. I never seek reading material like this out, so it's unlikely that I would have found it otherwise. Thanks again! :)

~~~ yours in Chaos, Scarlett
 monalee1
Msg: 33
the 48 laws of power
Posted: 9/21/2009 6:53:13 PM
hi... True Power is found in Love, Honesty and Respect not in deception, hate and fear...... blessings
 Verzen
Msg: 34
the 48 laws of power
Posted: 9/21/2009 7:07:42 PM
Mona - Religion is built off of deception, hate, and fear.

Deception - You are a bad person and unless you follow us and do what we say you will be condemned to hell for all eternity.

Hate - Those who think differently from you, you should kill!

Fear - If you don't obey our religion than you are doomed to be tormented and tortured for ALL eternity.

And yet, religion has complete control over you... hmm...
 JustDukky
Msg: 35
the 48 laws of power
Posted: 12/26/2009 4:54:53 PM
Why do I get the impression that Dogbert & Wally came up with these laws?
 acuddler
Msg: 36
the 48 laws of power
Posted: 12/27/2009 4:42:05 PM
What a joke. The only law that matters is The Golden Rule..."he who has the gold makes the rules". If you have enough money, the rest takes care of itself, and it won't matter how you think, or behave, or such.
 Con Ten Ted
Msg: 37
the 48 laws of power
Posted: 12/28/2009 2:28:00 AM
..... Oh great ... a list of rules on "how to fvck over your fellow man ..."
The question beckons .... what if the other guy has read the list too ....??
Whatever happened to honesty and sincerity ??
 Bluesman2008
Msg: 41
the 48 laws of power
Posted: 12/28/2009 4:28:00 PM
It sounds like****Cheney's playbook - how to make enemies and control people. LOL. Thanks but no thanks.
 so_capTivating
Msg: 42
the 48 laws of power
Posted: 2/8/2010 6:03:23 PM
hey there ian.....u seem to be quite close minded and seem to hav not been thru alot.....MOSTLY aLL these lawz are VERY practical...there mostly symbolic and metaphoricaL and to be used at yor discretion........u trust your friendz ian??...thatz good to heaR.........u seem as tho yor only hearin one side of tha story hear........trust NOBODY!...do u believe wat everybody tells? u seem that type aswell.....im not intending on poutting u down......but more of a realization!......have u ev er had a friend (like a GOOD friend) that betrayed u??.....u would then lose trust right?......but ian//i thot he was a good friend?.........ever hav a friend hav sexual intimacy with a spouse?..EVERYONE has, and 80% of tha time we dont even find out!.....tha world is full of deceit....u must accept that........and itz not telling u to NOT trust yor friendz...fight fire with fire!!.....listen to tupac "me against the world"/he'll tell u....sure he was a loud motherfuker that smoke and drank...but he was wise!...he'z a poet!.......but u probly wouldnt listen to this advice anyway......these are jus guidelines!!! to prevent any harmful act worked against u!....sure u can trust!!..but only to an extent!!....this is hell on earth!! jus witout tha fire!.....u'd be a FooL if u trusted yor friendz........but idunno...maybe itz tha way i was raised..............and remember "if u cant spot tha fool in a group in five minutes, then Your tha fool"......................ian.....take care!..i hope u all tha best in yor journey thru life..maybe u will realize one dayy....i just hope i broadened yor horizion and increased yor AWARENESS of shyt that goes onn in life that we dont even kno about..........and alos.!..there is alwayz a balance!!...positive, negative!...up, down!..hiigh, sober,!...right, wrong!...GOOD, and EVIL....angelz and demonz!.....itz a never ending battle my friend.....and using tha cat'z Paw LaW?....it doesnt literally mean to make a cat get something with their paw out of tha fire......conceal yor intentionz LaW?.. doesnt mean conceal yor intentionz to exlpoit evillness......u can use it in a good wayy aswell....like concealing yor intetion to give yor gf flowerz....yor not just going to tell her yor going to give her flowerz then gibe it!..it would just ruin it......it could be used in good or evil wayzz....jus dependz on how far u can expand yor mind!.....plz feel free to ask any other examplz of tha lawz provided in which u highly disagree with....i can try to give a an example of what they are trying to sayy....i jus read with book a month ago so itz still fresh in my mind...i enjoyed typing this, but im gonna go mack on some ****ez now! lol...god bLess!
 Uncle Fist
Msg: 43
the 48 laws of power
Posted: 2/9/2010 7:13:47 PM
It seems that a lot of people are offended by these laws. The thing you have to realize is that many people around you are applying these everyday on a social level. Some consciously, some unconsciously. But they are timeless principles that have been used forever and will continue to be used in the future because they work. They're not evil or immoral. They're simply amoral. Meaning not concerned with morality. They're not necessarily intentionally malicious. In fact, someone who masters these laws can use them consistently and never really seem malevolent to anyone.

Robert Greene is an amazing author. His other books, the 33 Strategies of War and the Art of Seduction, are equally effective. I recommend them to anyone that enjoyed the 48 Laws of Power.
 Devilsfan58
Msg: 44
view profile
History
the 48 laws of power
Posted: 2/19/2010 7:35:50 AM
I like this book for the way the author sets up the law and then uses a whole lot of historical events to explain the law. The way it looks based only on the laws it looks like a antisocial psycho wrote it. When you actually read his history precedents behind the law it actually bring sense to his mindset.

Sadly this book should be on the top of everyones reading list, as it so well explains the psychology and makeup of alot of todays modern workforce.

Alot of the laws are founded in solid footing.

Protect your reputation at all cost comes to mind. Do I really need to explain this?

Plan all the way to the end. Unfortunately I blame alot of our politicians for never completing this step.

This author also wrote a book titled "The Art of Seduction." I have never seen it, but would like to find it to see if the mindset is the same.

By the way the Dale Carnegie "How to win friends and influence people" is highest on my list of books to read...which I have and highly recommend.

Seriously this book has alot of value if nothing else for the sidenotes and history.
 Alchemist 23
Msg: 45
the 48 laws of power
Posted: 2/19/2010 12:47:27 PM
I'm a librarian and this is one of the books that people consistently steal. The people who come looking for it think they will find some secret knowledge, but they usually can't figure out how the online catalog works.

So, I see how it could make someone justify being a jerk as many people here have commented.
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > the 48 laws of power