Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Improper English and/or Grammar?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Soul Union
Msg: 51
Improper English and/or Grammar?Page 3 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)

First of all, you have several grammar mistakes in your comment, too!
I am an English teacher, and I appreciate good grammar and punctuation . . . ~ drumsafrican

Judith, you might want to look at your profile, because there is a spelling error there, one I am sure you would want to correct. You write: ". . . not just emersing [sic] myself in a romantic relationship."

The word should, as you know, be immersing.

Good luck with the drums, Judith.

~ Peter
 softy63
Msg: 52
Improper English and/or Grammar?
Posted: 11/9/2008 7:45:45 PM
I cant believe this thread is still going.
What a stupid subject. Who cares about text speak?
We all know we dont actually talk like that in face to face conversation, so whats the big deal?
 softy63
Msg: 53
Posted: 11/9/2008 8:06:00 PM
Only you and me now!
 GGarbo
Msg: 54
Posted: 11/22/2008 8:55:43 PM
It bothers me that it bothers others so bad. I'm pretty good at english/grammar myself but am not easily distracted by things like spelling mistakes. So as I'm trying to move along with an idea, they are acting like a dog who holds up a walk by needing to pee on every tree.

Then I think of people like my niece who is brilliant but dyslexic. Then I start getting really miffed off over how particular people are about it.

People who are really particular about this type of thing made her withdrawal from sharing her ideas for a long time because she was always worried she'd do it wrong and they'd jump all over her with criticism.
 Alkalineprincess
Msg: 55
Posted: 11/22/2008 9:47:04 PM
I loathe poor grammar and any abbreviation other than lol. I get about 60 or so messages a day and the ones that use said short cuts are often deleted.

In my defense, writing is a big part of how I sustain my income so I am less tolerant than most when it comes to this issue.
 GGarbo
Msg: 56
Posted: 11/25/2008 7:43:11 AM

On the other hand, to utilize bad grammer and/or mispellings/abbreviations of utterly simplistic three letter words just because one is lazy... No, I'm sorry. I can't have much sympathy, nor tolerance there. One must at least attempt to provide a comprehendable form of english when first addressing someone they don't know online. If a person does not, it will always cast a harsh shadow over them as proof that "they just don't care" enough to be socially appropriate or they just barely intelligent enough to operate a "text-messaging" device.

Wow, talk about jumping to assumptions with absolutely no proof. Spelling and Grammar have nothing to do with a person's ability to comprehend. Perhaps they are not from the same social background as you, English is their second language, or a whole list of other possible reasons. That does not make them unintelligent or uncaring. Maybe not compatible but you don't have to demean them.

I make spelling mistakes all the time when I'm not concentrating on English and grammar. That is not to say I'm not highly focused on the idea behind it. Thank heavens for spell check. I only worry about this stuff because there are people who will get so distracted by a spelling/grammar mistake that they will completely ignore what you are saying. They'd be more willing to hear a bad idea provided it used correct grammar than a good one with poor grammar. I'm more interested in the idea than how it's dressed.

I'm taking longer with this post because I'm worried the spelling Nazis will get me.
 CMonster
Msg: 57
Posted: 12/5/2008 5:47:28 PM
The one I can't get past is "prolly"

"Prolly" is the only non-word worse than "irregardless."

Thought I was going to say "worse then 'irregardless'" didn't 'ya?
 ISLANDER1089
Msg: 58
Posted: 2/1/2009 7:45:00 AM
Metalvixxn, I couldn't agree more. Sadly this writing style has even become the norm for some older people who should know better. I think to some extent that the whole texting thing is most common with young people who can't afford the phone call but it's infiltrating into the business world where for now at least it's completely inappropriate. The other observation is that it seems to be somewhat cultural because I notice it more in the United Kingdom than in North American messages. I also think that some people actually think that it's "cool" to use a text messaging style of communication. I am totally turned off by it myself and assume the author of the message is either mentally challenged or illiterate. I think I'll scream if I see one more "LOL". I have never needed to have someone tell me when I should be laughing. I only laugh if there's humor.
 spitfire6844
Msg: 59
view profile
History
Posted: 2/1/2009 8:16:34 AM

I couldn't resist, even though I have no idea how to use a semi colon or how to properly structure (most of) my sentences. English is my second language and I only began to speak and write it later in life.

OldSoul brings up a very good point here. Many intelligent people don't write well in English because English is not their native language. Living in California, I know many very smart folks for whom that's the case. It's foolhardy to criticize someone's writing when English may be that person's second or third language. "Textspeak" is easier to learn, so many novice English speakers and writers gravitate toward that. Only ignorant snobs would prejudge someone based solely on that person's writing style on a dating site.
 abelian
Msg: 60
Posted: 2/2/2009 6:57:01 AM
Actually, I'd like to encourage the guys to continue to be lazy and write poorly. I recently contacted a woman and told her that one reason she should reply is that a contact message containing complete sentences and proper punctuation is a novelty. I did get a reply, so keep up the good work guys.
 jm0405
Msg: 61
Posted: 2/16/2009 10:07:34 PM
I don't communicate with people who cannot type proper English, use correct grammar and avoid initial abbreviations. Might be cold, but I figure if they speak like they type or have stunted intellectual growth like their writing skills demonstrate, we won't have anything in common anyway so it's best to ignore them or simply move on.
 evrybdy
Msg: 62
view profile
History
Posted: 4/9/2009 10:12:59 PM
Knowing a bunch of Prince fans, I got used to 4 U instead of for you or any other ways of lingo that he and his fans shared, and I would get enormous emails from a friend with all kinds of letters and numbers and would have to take an hour to read something that should have taken a few minutes. It literally burns the eyes! But I am pretty lenient since I do use some textspeak in emails and writing, mainly LOL. I should try and clean it up a bit at times, but I think I am doing pretty good with the sentence structure. For me, if it looks too ghetto and I know they are not a Prince fan, I might not know how to write back, or I might just say yo, yo, yo! I getz youz yo!

M
 PirateJohn09
Msg: 63
view profile
History
Posted: 4/9/2009 10:39:07 PM
I post occasionally on the IMDb forums, and my sig line on that forum reads, simply: "Spelling, punctuation, and grammar -- learn it, live it, love it"

I don't mind the occasional typos or casual grammar in writing, but it gets on my nerves when people are simply too lazy to write in a comprehensible fashion. To me, it is a sign of a lack of respect. If they don't respect me enough to write to me in a readable fashion, then I don't see why I should care what they say.
 PirateJohn09
Msg: 64
view profile
History
Posted: 4/9/2009 10:42:21 PM

I have no idea how to use a semi colon or how to properly structure

Or how to not split infinitives...

And, of course, prepositions are something you should never end a sentence with.

Never use no double negatives, either.

When dangling, be sure to watch your participles.

And never use commas, when they are not needed.

It ain't right to use slang words, either.

And of course, be sure none of your words are mispelled.
 elles-belles
Msg: 65
view profile
History
Posted: 4/10/2009 8:12:38 AM
Text speak annoys me. I don't mind some words being shortened but it annoys me when there are no vowels in any words. I'm not fussed so much about spelling or grammar, I just want to be able to read the message, not have to fill in several letters a word.
 PirateJohn09
Msg: 66
view profile
History
Posted: 4/10/2009 10:02:53 AM

but for me IT'S THE MESSAGE NOT THE MEDIUM.

Tell ya what, I'll send you an e-mail, but before I do, I'm going to encrypt it with a 256-bit encryption algorithm.

Hey, the message is still there, but good luck understanding it.

This is the way I often feel when I see messages that are sent in heavy text-speak. It hardly matters anymore what the message is, because I get a headache trying to figure out what it is. I agree with you that it's not necessarily laziness, but it *is* a lack of respect for the listener.
 cannpeters
Msg: 67
Posted: 4/11/2009 3:54:26 PM
I'm okay with the textspeak in text messages, as long as I can tell what the person is saying. I don't like it in email. It also drives me crazy for people to have poor writing/spelling skills.

I understand that everyone is not a great writer (composer), but when I have to read a sentence several times to get the point, come on. Also, grammatically incorrect writing and speaking drives me crazy. A little here and there, fine. But when it's constant, I don't like it. I met a man a few months ago, and he was very nice. I was somewhat interested, but he kept speaking and writing with poor English (grammatically incorrect English). It just made me think he wasn't too smart, and I couldn't get past it.
 OutMind
Msg: 68
Posted: 3/11/2013 2:09:35 PM

Ok, now I sounding like I am ranting and that is not what I meant this post to be. So, to sum up: does someone taking linguistic short cuts bother others as much as it bothers me?

Ok, now I [recast] sounding like I am ranting and that is not what I meant this post to be. So, to sum up: does someone taking linguistic short cuts bother others as much as it bothers me?

I hite bed grammer!!
 LiterateHiker
Msg: 69
Posted: 3/11/2013 5:03:08 PM
"LOL" is so lame and overused I roll my eyes into the next STATE. People who constantly write in text seem uneducated, inarticulate and dull.
 aussiesealady
Msg: 70
Posted: 3/11/2013 5:27:11 PM
It sends me insane.
Or more insane than normal.

Our collective education systems have failed far too many people.
In real life I know people who are beautifully spoken who would struggle on here as it is such a written medium.
Not everyone can type nor spell nor use ..,,: ; '" ? ! correctly.

Typing on here however has improved my knowledge of text speak.
lol, pmsl, rofl, irl as just a few examples.

I understand text messages from young people in real life (irl) a little better and only need a translation occasionally.

We really should improve the education system. How dare we graduate people with such low literacy levels.
Our bad!!!!
 I_Am_Suchafnlady
Msg: 71
view profile
History
Posted: 3/11/2013 5:55:52 PM
Did you just use "IMed" in a rant about using abreviations? Really?
It is an oximoron to expect old fashioned ways on an online dating site. Choose your battles. In the age of Blackberries, IPhones, Droids . . . abbriv's are good for initial contact. Be happy that you are getting responses at all!!!!

I think you are cutting off your nose in spite of your face. . . nit picking. . . finding excuses. Maybe this is why you are single and looking? Again, choose your battles.
 deere_rancher
Msg: 72
view profile
History
Posted: 3/11/2013 6:55:28 PM
With Word 2010... spelling and grammer , anybody can be a literary genesis.

I think writing is more personal and honest , if its not whitewashed before submitting .
 Maleman999
Msg: 73
Posted: 3/11/2013 7:34:17 PM
Does anybody remember objects like pen, pencil and writing paper? People under 20 probably have no clue what I'm talking about. I remember a time when people used to write a letter by hand, or used that advanced machine called a typewriter. Getting an electric typewriter was considered going high tech.

Anyway, my point is back then, when someone composed a letter by either method, grammar, punctuation, and spelling was considered important. There was no slang and text speak used in writing letters-before was never spelled b4, you was never spelled u, you are was never ur, and so forth. But when people peck away on a keyboard like drunk chickens, all of a sudden the brain shuts down. People who do tons of texting everyday can whip out a text message in seconds. Why is it such a difficult task to spend an extra second or two to spell words properly and use proper grammar instead of trying to convince people they are mentally retarded? I would never respond to an e-mail or text message if it looks like it was written by a 2 year old. The only thing that didn't make sense to me back then-and still doesn't make any sense to me to this day-is using x's and o's for love and kisses. Does anybody know how that came about?
 abmccray
Msg: 74
view profile
History
Posted: 3/11/2013 7:39:01 PM

How do people view messages when it's clear that the grammar is pretty bad? Not spelling errors, that's ok, we have dyslexics after all, but when the use of normal punctuation is lost on someone (full stops, apostrophes, capital letters, paragraphs and sentences, etc), does it act as a "put-off" or do you simply ignore it and brush it aside as nothing major (particularly if everything else you like).

I normally ignore them.

People that read almost always pick up a certain amount of spelling, grammar, and structure via osmosis. Their mistakes are more detailed things that an editor would catch, or obvious typos or possible rewrites of sentences without proofreading afterwards. Reading is the quickest way to get, siphon, and retain new information and concepts - someone who doesn't read is stymieing themselves by default. And therefore, not someone I'd be interested in meeting.

If you go through the threads on here - there's a high ratio of level of grammar to how well thought out someone's opinions and responses are, for instance.
 Soul Union
Msg: 75
Posted: 3/11/2013 8:53:33 PM

Does anybody remember objects like pen, pencil and writing paper? People under 20 probably have no clue what I'm talking about. I remember a time when people used to write a letter by hand, or used that advanced machine called a typewriter. Getting an electric typewriter was considered going high tech.

Anyway, my point is back then, when someone composed a letter by either method, grammar, punctuation, and spelling was considered important. There was no slang and text speak used in writing letters-before was never spelled b4, you was never spelled u, you are was never ur, and so forth. But when people peck away on a keyboard like drunk chickens, all of a sudden the brain shuts down. People who do tons of texting everyday can whip out a text message in seconds. Why is it such a difficult task to spend an extra second or two to spell words properly and use proper grammar instead of trying to convince people they are mentally retarded? I would never respond to an e-mail or text message if it looks like it was written by a 2 year old. --- maleman999

Everything is going down the toilet today, Maleman. Writing, in general, is seriously substandard, at best.

For example, here in New Zealand, where I am unfortunate enough to live, a country with the highest rate of child suicide in the world, the highest level of cannabis use in the world, where dolphins are protected but not police officers, your average child does not know how to hold a pen or a pencil. These items are obsolete, laughed at.

I was in a cafe here in Queenstown the other day and got talking to a young man who had just received his university degree, honours, by the way. He was puffed up with pride. Pleased as punch. I got talking to him. I asked him what he thought of Shakespeare. He frowned, thought for a moment and, when I smiled, replied: "Oh yeah, I've heard of that."

That?

- Peter
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Improper English and/or Grammar?