Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Improper English and/or Grammar?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 PirateJohn09
Msg: 139
view profile
History
Improper English and/or Grammar?Page 8 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)
I post occasionally on the IMDb forums, and my sig line on that forum reads, simply: "Spelling, punctuation, and grammar -- learn it, live it, love it"

I don't mind the occasional typos or casual grammar in writing, but it gets on my nerves when people are simply too lazy to write in a comprehensible fashion. To me, it is a sign of a lack of respect. If they don't respect me enough to write to me in a readable fashion, then I don't see why I should care what they say.
 PirateJohn09
Msg: 140
view profile
History
Improper English and/or Grammar?
Posted: 4/9/2009 10:42:21 PM

I have no idea how to use a semi colon or how to properly structure

Or how to not split infinitives...

And, of course, prepositions are something you should never end a sentence with.

Never use no double negatives, either.

When dangling, be sure to watch your participles.

And never use commas, when they are not needed.

It ain't right to use slang words, either.

And of course, be sure none of your words are mispelled.
 shipoker58
Msg: 142
Posted: 4/10/2009 8:11:50 AM

I find it amusing when people who say those who use e-text are lazy. I work with some youngin's who do more communicating in a day than those who don't use it in a week (not that volume nescesarily means, good communication). It would be just as easy for them to say that many on this thread "ARE LAZY" because they refuse to keep up with the times.

I agree...although I don't like it...I don't think it is laziness. Again, "...The Times They Are A-Changin'"...Bob Dylan. "...get out of the new one if you can't lend a hand."

I just keep my distance and CHOOSE to hang out with people who speak the way I do!

...JMO
 elles-belles
Msg: 143
view profile
History
Posted: 4/10/2009 8:12:38 AM
Text speak annoys me. I don't mind some words being shortened but it annoys me when there are no vowels in any words. I'm not fussed so much about spelling or grammar, I just want to be able to read the message, not have to fill in several letters a word.
 iilah
Msg: 144
Posted: 4/10/2009 9:41:00 AM
Sounds a little immature to me.
 PirateJohn09
Msg: 145
view profile
History
Posted: 4/10/2009 10:02:53 AM

but for me IT'S THE MESSAGE NOT THE MEDIUM.

Tell ya what, I'll send you an e-mail, but before I do, I'm going to encrypt it with a 256-bit encryption algorithm.

Hey, the message is still there, but good luck understanding it.

This is the way I often feel when I see messages that are sent in heavy text-speak. It hardly matters anymore what the message is, because I get a headache trying to figure out what it is. I agree with you that it's not necessarily laziness, but it *is* a lack of respect for the listener.
 kow626
Msg: 147
Posted: 4/11/2009 11:42:08 AM
i hav a bachelors degree in english. fully qualified 2 correct peeple on all things english. could go bak n b a teach but hav no desire 2 do so. but as u can c, i use "text-speak" or "im-speak" or wutever u wanna call it 2 communicate. yeah, my profile is all complete sentences n such but if its im, email, or text and casual, den i abbreviate. of course if i'm bein professional i'm not gonna shorten things. but i think certain peeple in a certain age group wit certain attitudes look down upon dis type of online language. not all of those peeple, but sum n dats fine.

i dont look down upon any1 dat emails me using dis language. it dont mean dat they're young n stupid or anythin like dat. dey jus know how 2 use da language n understand wut it means win dey c it. sum peeple havent taken da time 2 learn win n how 2 use it, n lissen 2 lots of society's bullshit n make judgments based on either their own inabilities or attitudes developed from other uninformed opinions.

sure, there r those dat r atrocious in their language, online n in person. u know an idiot win u hear 1 or read sumthin from dem. n let's b real, there's really no such thing as proper/improper english. grammar, punctuation, n things along those lines, yeah, there is a diff. but da base language is ever-evolving amongst all english-speaking countries. i'll bet a mill dat a lot of peeple here dat hate chat language hate slang 2.
 cannpeters
Msg: 148
Posted: 4/11/2009 3:54:26 PM
I'm okay with the textspeak in text messages, as long as I can tell what the person is saying. I don't like it in email. It also drives me crazy for people to have poor writing/spelling skills.

I understand that everyone is not a great writer (composer), but when I have to read a sentence several times to get the point, come on. Also, grammatically incorrect writing and speaking drives me crazy. A little here and there, fine. But when it's constant, I don't like it. I met a man a few months ago, and he was very nice. I was somewhat interested, but he kept speaking and writing with poor English (grammatically incorrect English). It just made me think he wasn't too smart, and I couldn't get past it.
 kow626
Msg: 149
Posted: 4/11/2009 6:55:10 PM
silentman73
as a writer, id figure uve been versed in all forms of english n dialect, from alternative writing to ebonics to prose to redneck to australian, european, n african english n all its other forms. there is no "correct" english. da 1 thing bout da english lang is dat its incredibly versatile n ever-evolving. y would u think ebonics is blatantly used, illiterate, or even slang? u should also know wut slang is as a writer. ebonics is not slang. its a dialect, sociolect or wutev u wanna refer 2 it as.

ur "natural gift" should b xpanded a lil as far as i can c. u, like many peeple versed in the english lang, mite b a lil 2 old skool. going as far as calling text lang lazy is ridiculous. wuts dat say bout ur friend. u acknowledge she uses it, jus not wit u. so wut if she did start using it wit u. wut kinda friendship would it b den? ud end it based on how she communicates wit u? datd b absurd. wouldnt even b a real friendship if sumthin dat small would b a dealbreaker.

if u dont like peeple butcherin english, dan u prolly think every1 on earth is a complete idiot n stupid cuz not a single english-speaking person on earth uses so-called proper english. mayb u should study english beyond da classroom. watch n/or read media from other english-speaking countries 2 get a new appreciation for da lang. i promise u, after watching sum british tv shows, if u haven't been xposed 2 deez things alredy, ull change ur mind bout english.

i liv in orlando. i meet peeple from all across da planet so my tolerance 4 da vernacular is pretty high. almost every1 uses diff english, even in da US in da form of regional dialect. dont hate, appreciate. embrace da lang in all its forms n mayb u wont cringe so much.
 OutMind
Msg: 150
Posted: 3/11/2013 2:09:35 PM

Ok, now I sounding like I am ranting and that is not what I meant this post to be. So, to sum up: does someone taking linguistic short cuts bother others as much as it bothers me?

Ok, now I [recast] sounding like I am ranting and that is not what I meant this post to be. So, to sum up: does someone taking linguistic short cuts bother others as much as it bothers me?

I hite bed grammer!!
 LiterateHiker
Msg: 151
Posted: 3/11/2013 5:03:08 PM
"LOL" is so lame and overused I roll my eyes into the next STATE. People who constantly write in text seem uneducated, inarticulate and dull.
 aussiesealady
Msg: 152
Posted: 3/11/2013 5:27:11 PM
It sends me insane.
Or more insane than normal.

Our collective education systems have failed far too many people.
In real life I know people who are beautifully spoken who would struggle on here as it is such a written medium.
Not everyone can type nor spell nor use ..,,: ; '" ? ! correctly.

Typing on here however has improved my knowledge of text speak.
lol, pmsl, rofl, irl as just a few examples.

I understand text messages from young people in real life (irl) a little better and only need a translation occasionally.

We really should improve the education system. How dare we graduate people with such low literacy levels.
Our bad!!!!
 I_Am_Suchafnlady
Msg: 153
view profile
History
Posted: 3/11/2013 5:55:52 PM
Did you just use "IMed" in a rant about using abreviations? Really?
It is an oximoron to expect old fashioned ways on an online dating site. Choose your battles. In the age of Blackberries, IPhones, Droids . . . abbriv's are good for initial contact. Be happy that you are getting responses at all!!!!

I think you are cutting off your nose in spite of your face. . . nit picking. . . finding excuses. Maybe this is why you are single and looking? Again, choose your battles.
 deere_rancher
Msg: 154
view profile
History
Posted: 3/11/2013 6:55:28 PM
With Word 2010... spelling and grammer , anybody can be a literary genesis.

I think writing is more personal and honest , if its not whitewashed before submitting .
 Maleman999
Msg: 155
Posted: 3/11/2013 7:34:17 PM
Does anybody remember objects like pen, pencil and writing paper? People under 20 probably have no clue what I'm talking about. I remember a time when people used to write a letter by hand, or used that advanced machine called a typewriter. Getting an electric typewriter was considered going high tech.

Anyway, my point is back then, when someone composed a letter by either method, grammar, punctuation, and spelling was considered important. There was no slang and text speak used in writing letters-before was never spelled b4, you was never spelled u, you are was never ur, and so forth. But when people peck away on a keyboard like drunk chickens, all of a sudden the brain shuts down. People who do tons of texting everyday can whip out a text message in seconds. Why is it such a difficult task to spend an extra second or two to spell words properly and use proper grammar instead of trying to convince people they are mentally retarded? I would never respond to an e-mail or text message if it looks like it was written by a 2 year old. The only thing that didn't make sense to me back then-and still doesn't make any sense to me to this day-is using x's and o's for love and kisses. Does anybody know how that came about?
 abmccray
Msg: 156
view profile
History
Posted: 3/11/2013 7:39:01 PM

How do people view messages when it's clear that the grammar is pretty bad? Not spelling errors, that's ok, we have dyslexics after all, but when the use of normal punctuation is lost on someone (full stops, apostrophes, capital letters, paragraphs and sentences, etc), does it act as a "put-off" or do you simply ignore it and brush it aside as nothing major (particularly if everything else you like).

I normally ignore them.

People that read almost always pick up a certain amount of spelling, grammar, and structure via osmosis. Their mistakes are more detailed things that an editor would catch, or obvious typos or possible rewrites of sentences without proofreading afterwards. Reading is the quickest way to get, siphon, and retain new information and concepts - someone who doesn't read is stymieing themselves by default. And therefore, not someone I'd be interested in meeting.

If you go through the threads on here - there's a high ratio of level of grammar to how well thought out someone's opinions and responses are, for instance.
 Soul Union
Msg: 157
Posted: 3/11/2013 8:53:33 PM

Does anybody remember objects like pen, pencil and writing paper? People under 20 probably have no clue what I'm talking about. I remember a time when people used to write a letter by hand, or used that advanced machine called a typewriter. Getting an electric typewriter was considered going high tech.

Anyway, my point is back then, when someone composed a letter by either method, grammar, punctuation, and spelling was considered important. There was no slang and text speak used in writing letters-before was never spelled b4, you was never spelled u, you are was never ur, and so forth. But when people peck away on a keyboard like drunk chickens, all of a sudden the brain shuts down. People who do tons of texting everyday can whip out a text message in seconds. Why is it such a difficult task to spend an extra second or two to spell words properly and use proper grammar instead of trying to convince people they are mentally retarded? I would never respond to an e-mail or text message if it looks like it was written by a 2 year old. --- maleman999

Everything is going down the toilet today, Maleman. Writing, in general, is seriously substandard, at best.

For example, here in New Zealand, where I am unfortunate enough to live, a country with the highest rate of child suicide in the world, the highest level of cannabis use in the world, where dolphins are protected but not police officers, your average child does not know how to hold a pen or a pencil. These items are obsolete, laughed at.

I was in a cafe here in Queenstown the other day and got talking to a young man who had just received his university degree, honours, by the way. He was puffed up with pride. Pleased as punch. I got talking to him. I asked him what he thought of Shakespeare. He frowned, thought for a moment and, when I smiled, replied: "Oh yeah, I've heard of that."

That?

- Peter
 MsMaureenw
Msg: 158
Posted: 3/11/2013 8:57:51 PM
It depends on the context over all. A few errors is not going to deter me from an outstanding guy. After communicating a few messages back and forth I will know if a man understands English.

However, if one uses text language and mixes in numbers within sentence structure, I won't communicate. I read documents all day in perfect English. To come home and read loose text is like putting a road block up in front of me. My mind will struggle to read the text word as a real word until it dawns on me it is a text word and numbers. The gear switch is less than a second, but that slight fraction is going to annoy me. I don't like sloppy.

Also of annoyance is the person on the phone who does not have the rhythm of the phone numbers down and jumbles the area code with the exchange instead of the melodic: tap tap tap, tap tap tap, tap tap tap tap.

Worse even, is the person who gives the letter "o" for a zero. My mind will stop as there is no letter "o" in the numbers. And yes, I realize I'm on autopilot half the time juggling so many things, but I can do that if the standard was used. It's not.

I'm now off topic. Time for bed as I'm now just rambling.
 PittsburghVixen
Msg: 159
Posted: 3/11/2013 9:19:35 PM
I am not as picky about textspeak when actually texting or using chat, as I am when reading posts, or emails, or messages. I will overlook a few shortcuts here and there, especially in a message - but I think that posts to forums, comments on blogs, posts and comments on Facebook, etc. ought to be correctly written out. JMO
 Stubidooo
Msg: 160
Posted: 3/12/2013 6:38:47 AM

However, if one uses text language and mixes in numbers within sentence structure, I won't communicate

I used to get annoyed at messages that used text speak or that were poorly formatted but with the phone app now being so widely used, I tend to be more understanding as these phones lend themselves to that form of communication and it is usually clear from the persons education and/or background that it is a choice rather than a lack of "knowing any better".

It's just another way of rolling with the times I suppose...
 MrTasherDK
Msg: 161
view profile
History
Posted: 5/24/2013 7:10:28 AM
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTU VWXYZ Æ Ø Å
The Danish Alphabet

I would like to see all the people that are so great spellers write a proper profile text in Danish, Chinese, Swedish, German and it has to be with proper grammar, punctuation and spelling.

Hell I can't even do it in Danish.

I have a sister with Dyslexia when she writes me a message I have to guess quite a few words and as far as I know she is an intelligent person.

The only thing that can bother me a bit might be SLANG.
 that_ol_lady
Msg: 162
Posted: 5/27/2013 5:36:32 PM
I dont mind text talk so to speak because i do it myself from time to time on my phone..

but if your actually trying to write a blog or thread in a forum or get a woman to interact with you..dear god at least
spell the words out fully even if it is a 2 or 3 word thrown together sentence..

i got an email the other day from a 44year old man whos actions an words made me think he was 19yr old..

he was like example "aye baby let me get yo numbr an hit u up on da fone" type s hit..

i said umm sir your older then me an your acting an talking like your 19 or 20 did you mean phone??
cherry topper was when i asked him what his name was he even misspelled that think he was trying to spell craig
but he spelled it crisag i was like huh??? then he goes back to his baby crap..

he didnt even know what a platonic friendship meant i said wow you should google that..
he was like hey baby i work for a living i was like WTF does that have to do with you misspelling your name an not knowing what the word platonic friendship means!?

that conversation did not end well with me giving him the 3rd degree had to do it!
 platypus_man
Msg: 163
view profile
History
Posted: 6/5/2013 2:01:38 AM
Sorry to remind everyone, but if you went back in time a few hundred years or so, everyone there would consider you almost incomprehensible because their english language would be so much different from yours. As far as I'm concerned, as long as I can understand someone, that's all that's necessary. Life is hard enough without being picky about how someone speaks or writes (there are enough snobs in the world who consider themselves 'above' someone based on how they speak or write). If they're a nice person, that's good enough for me.
 firefly416
Msg: 164
view profile
History
Posted: 6/16/2013 5:24:26 PM
I don't mind it too much in a txt or IM but they better be able to write real sentences with the correct word usage and tense in an email. I won't date anyone whose profile doesn't pass my check for the correct there, their, they're, your, you're, to, two and two.
 Irish Eyez
Msg: 165
Posted: 6/16/2013 5:27:13 PM
anyone whose profile doesn't pass my check for the correct there, their, they're, your, you're, to, two and two

That would be, two and too.

If someone is going to comment on grammar etc., best make sure you're squeaky clean.

I can understand some mistakes, but if a email/profile is loaded with grammar, spelling and punctuation errors, I pass by.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Improper English and/or Grammar?