Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > She's/He's been on PoF for 2 years..! It that a red-herring? Run or S      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Ferruginous
Msg: 51
She's/He's been on PoF for 2 years..! It that a red-herring? Run or Stay?Page 3 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
I'd rather get to know someone who's been on POF for quite awhile, and is being very selective about choosing a relationship;
Rather than the person who settles for a relationship with the 1st person they can find.
 MY OH MY
Msg: 52
She's/He's been on PoF for 2 years..! It that a red-herring? Run or Stay?
Posted: 10/6/2008 8:35:00 AM
Well that is just it then. I will have to take my sign down that tells everyone exactly how many dates I have been on and how long my longest relationship lasted. Geez...
No wait, I will only go out with married men, because they are the ones that know how to find their love. Yeah right...

OP I think you have a major insecurity complex, paranoid, and who knows what all. You could have just ended something before it began that could have been a good match because YOU JUDGED HER! You didn't meet her and decide that she has an amazing personality, is full of life, and a beautiful person to be with. You looked at her past dating experiences and kicked anything that could happen to the curb. Obviously you aren't the right one for her. I hope she finds someone wonderful for her. I hope you work on yourself.
 msflis
Msg: 53
Posted: 10/6/2008 9:01:20 AM
Anybody else wondering if the OP also would have disqualified this woman if her number of bedmates wasn't the "right" one?

A while back I started corresponding with a man on another site. When we first talked on the phone, he asked me how long I'd been there. I told him, and he replied, half-seriously, "Geez, you may as well have your own parking spot!" Turns out he'd been there three years LONGER.

My opinion: The length of the search, or the stay on any dating site, means almost nothing. What's important is how that person treats you and whether you're compatible.

--Ms. Flis
 Rachelle~C
Msg: 54
Posted: 10/6/2008 10:19:09 AM
1. she has been actively dating (not forums) for the 2 years.

And?

2. According to her, she's been on "26 dates during this period and dated only 6 of the men...the longest lasting 3 months" - her own words.

And?

3. She is 35 years.

And? You are 40 with the hindrance and baggage of kids and an ex or two ex wives. Your baggage would send me running faster then someone who intelligently decided not to marry the wrong person and not to have kids with the wrong person.Yes by all means leave this person in peace so she can find someone without your truck load of burdensome baggage.
 screenangel
Msg: 55
view profile
History
Posted: 10/6/2008 10:52:15 AM
2 yrs, 5yrs, 10yrs......who cares how long? This site and dating is supposed to be an enjoyable pastime, at least, it is for me. I'm not so desperate to find someone, although it would be nice to meet a special man. In the meantime, I'm not dropping in and out of numerous "relationships" in a pressured attempt to "close the deal" on love and romance. Taking one's time to find the right person is NOT time wasted. One divorce was enough for me!
 LaMediaNaranja
Msg: 56
Posted: 10/6/2008 10:59:32 AM
OP: Yes, some can be serial daters, serial players or just seriously not found "the one". Dont' assume anything about anyone.

Allow yourself the opportunity to know them and then you'll know if they are for you or not.

trukinbiker
Msg: 57
view profile
History
Posted: 10/6/2008 12:20:04 PM
Dating is different for everyone. Assuming that one size fits all is way to judgemental in my opinion. For example, in my case, I am a truck driver who is on the road for three weeks of the month most of the time. I can only spend so much time getting to know someone online, deciding to meet and then actually doing it. My life is lived in the short spurts of time I have at home. I don't always date each time I come home. I try to, but it does not always happen. So, if you add up my actual time off, minus the times at home I don't date, what would appear to be two years to most is actually more like three or four months to me. So...does my being a member on here, (and some other sites), for more than two years make me some kind of bad person who is not willing to commit, or someone who is taking advantage of the system? I don't think so. I am an optimistic person who sincerely hopes to find that one person to settle down with, but...I also am not willing to just jump into a committed relationship. I firmly believe in getting to know someone well before committing, which in my case takes much longer than usual. So, no, I don't think any amount of time being in the dating scene whether it is online or in the real world is a reason to dismiss someone a a potential date.
 rtpguy
Msg: 58
view profile
History
Posted: 10/6/2008 1:59:06 PM
It depends on the context. If she's really been 'active' and dating off POF for the entire time, and always something 'doesn't work out,' well..maybe.

There may also be something about *who* she dates - some people want to meet after nearly a single email or message, others take their time.

I think I've had my profile on POF for around 2 years, maybe 3, with 75%+ of that time being 'idle'/not logging in, as I was in an LTR for a while, then just not into it. The 'lots of dates' comment - yeah, I can see where you're coming from, but I'd at least hear a bit more from her before condemning/judging based on that alone.
 MY OH MY
Msg: 59
Posted: 10/6/2008 9:49:35 PM

I don't know of anyone who has found a satisfactory long term relationship from an Internet dating site.

My cousin met his wife on line (I don't remember which dating site). They have been married for about 5 years now.

I am coming up on a year on here. (Do people celebrate their divorce anniversary?)
 Halokitty™
Msg: 60
Posted: 10/6/2008 9:59:13 PM
I've been here so long I remember when there was a chat room.
Guess I'm REALLY unlucky, eh?
 Vintage Bike Guy
Msg: 61
Posted: 10/7/2008 4:50:01 AM
Why would it MATTER how long someone has been on POF or any other Dating web-site???

Just because you don't know, dose not mean or translate into, the rest of us are DUCKS, Quack,Quack,Quack.......

Sorry Bub, but the older we get the harder it is to find someone compatible, there are Millions of us, on thousands of Dating web-sites, The only key that I have found is to STOP LOOKING...

Just be yourself and be open to whatever comes up...
 Blu_byu
Msg: 62
Posted: 10/7/2008 5:31:47 AM
OP-- loosen up. You cannot apply your expectations for longevity to any other person. If the chemistry isn't there, then there is no point in delaying the inevitable. And most women seem to have a better handle on doing that than most men. Enjoy the fishing--when you finally meet the one woman that has decided that YOU are the man for her---you'll know it. Now, just pray that you feel the same when it happens.

Honestly, more people should live by the axiom of "I will not lower my standards in order to raise yours".

Best of luck to you.

cheers~~
 veryordinary
Msg: 63
Posted: 10/7/2008 9:43:39 AM
I think you are being too paranoid. I have been on here for two years and of the guys I met, they truly were not the ones for me for various reasons. I get many emails from people who are totally incompatible with me or they smoke. I lived for 35-years with someone I was totally incompatible with and I will be very cautious not to make that mistake again. This woman you are talking about may feel the same way. It takes time to know if you are really compatible. Give it time.
 veryordinary
Msg: 64
Posted: 10/7/2008 9:44:53 AM
Also, my niece who was 50, met 86 men for coffee before she finally met Mr. Right and they have been married for 6-years now.
 Brandie46
Msg: 65
Posted: 10/7/2008 10:58:34 AM
Yes you are being too paranoid. I'd be more concerned if she/he were one of those people who kept closing and reopening profiles under different IDs every few months.

Now that would make me paranoid!

Brandie46
 veryordinary
Msg: 66
Posted: 10/7/2008 11:19:50 AM
I do not think deleting and making a new profile makes one a "risk". I have become very discouraged and deleted my profile before but came back. I also had a guy I met once follow everything I did and kept commenting on me without using my ID in the forums. I felt he was a stalker and I would change my ID. You cannot use your same ID a second time and have to pick a new one but everything else on my profile always remains the same so I do not really think I am trying to trick anyone. I get disgusted with POF off and on and will delete my profile and come back after awhile. I also hide it often when I just want to be left alone. It does not mean I have a hidden agenda of some sort.
 arwen52
Msg: 67
view profile
History
Posted: 10/8/2008 5:36:01 PM
I don't think it's a problem at all. I've been casually dating for over four years and just recently finally found someone interesting enough to get past the third date. I'm looking for a good match, not just a warm body in my life. It's not easy. I've met lots of guys - here, two other sites, and just moving through life. Many of them are very nice but we just aren't a great match for each other. It's not easy to find a good match. It can take time and meeting lots of people. How long they've been looking is of no concern to me. What I'm interested in finding out is how well do we hit it off. Do I find them interesting? That's what I care about. Maybe the reason they've been looking for so long is that they haven't met *me* yet! Maybe the reason I've been looking for so long is that I haven't met *them* yet!
 dave1234
Msg: 68
view profile
History
Posted: 10/8/2008 6:14:27 PM
Perhaps the main concern is not that one is being picky or wanting a perfect match. The question becomes what happens if one of the things on the "must have" list changes. The longer the list of requirements the more likely something will change over time, whether it be the person who is picky changes their "must have" list or their partner undergoes changes.

That, IMO, is why some people avoid those who have a lengthy list of requirements. While it's natural to want to find that "perfect" someone what are the chances they will remain "perfect" or what constitutes "perfect" wil remain the same? What is the prognosis for a long term relationship?
 JulietJuliet
Msg: 69
Posted: 10/9/2008 6:28:51 AM

How do you tell if a profile is hidden rather than deleted?
For starters ALL profiles are visible at the forums....hidden or not (with exception for deleted ones).
To see if a profile is hidden/deleted type in the user name under user search. If deleted it will say so and when, if hidden it will blink a blank space back at you. (Mine is currently hidden)
I know this cause I have been here for more than 3 years!
Whilst on this hidden topic who is to say OP that this woman has never hidden her profile at some stage during her 2 years here.
When you consider the amount of people using this site you must also consider the amount of 'normal' people using this site. Perhaps she was just unlucky.
 guyonline101
Msg: 70
Posted: 10/16/2008 9:31:10 PM
If I see a woman here for so many years it makes me wonder wtf why cant they find somone? It's not THAT hard is it? If I dont find somone online within a few months, I am positive I would be able to find one in REAL life very quickly, especially if I was actually looking to have a partner... Sometimes I feel like the woman are being unrealistic in what they are looking for...
 Fifi47
Msg: 71
Posted: 10/16/2008 10:19:45 PM
Depends on where the person lives, and if she is what most men seem to be seeking. I have found that most men on POF seem to be seeking "the norm" as far as women go, and some of us who are atypical women in many ways seem to be SOL most of the time as far as men on POF are concerned. I love the forums, and once in a while encounter a man who is atypical and intriguing, etc.
 starfun77
Msg: 72
Posted: 2/27/2009 8:46:07 AM
Definitely too picky and more likely a serial dater...or a perfectionist, in which case the relationship wont last even is she picked one.
 brown_eyed_woman
Msg: 73
Posted: 2/27/2009 9:12:38 AM
I would rather meet somone who has been here awhile and did not run off and marry and have kids with the first person they met. Only to come back here 2 years later, starting over again.

I actually run into the ones more often who have just opened an account and are still like a kid in the candy store...I prefer the ones who have been looking for awhile. They are typically patient and understand that Online is not as easy as everyone thinks, and they are realistic.

I look at my dating profile as just a line in the water. I have maybe met 11 men for a coffee in the two years I have been online. Only 2 of those coffee meetings netted to an actual date.

At the end of the day, what does it matter? This is a total crap shoot, just because there may be 1000 men in my area who are single does not mean I am going to be romatically interested in any of them...or them me. Perhaps the one I would be interested in is dating someone right now and is not ready to date me yet. We just dont know whats around any given corner-and there is no expiration date on finding "the one".
 Beaugrand®™©
Msg: 74
view profile
History
Posted: 2/27/2009 1:05:15 PM
Mostly here for the forums.
I don't believe in deadlines for finding an appropriate date, and I don't have a schedule for finding "her."
I've accepted that I'm likely to be here awhile.

I think the lady with the insatiable appetite for Milk Duds was the red herring.
 ~addy01~
Msg: 75
Posted: 2/27/2009 1:27:33 PM
Don't all the fairy tales say you have to kiss a lot of frogs in the hope one will turn into the handsome Prince?
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > She's/He's been on PoF for 2 years..! It that a red-herring? Run or Stay?