Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Life on Other Planets? YES????      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 swamp_dude
Msg: 107
view profile
History
Life on Other Planets? YES????Page 6 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
^^^^^ boing .[ back to reality]..... again .... as stated on the top of this page [message ... life 101] and in the OP ..... this is not about contact with life .... and the UFO thing .... this is about bacteria and building blocks of life ....
 stargazer1000
Msg: 108
Life on Other Planets? YES????
Posted: 7/22/2011 6:54:43 PM

Is a virus alive? A prion?

Well, I'm not a biologist so I only have an enthusiastic amateur's level of learning to go with.

Prions, I don't have nearly enough information to offer a remotely informed opinion, so I won't address it.

Viruses, however, are interesting. They are made of RNA. They are mobile. They reproduce, albeit by taking over the normal functioning of a cell. They consume resources. They are subject to natural selection. Sounds "alive" to me.
 CheshireCatalyst
Msg: 109
view profile
History
Posted: 7/22/2011 7:34:59 PM
Strictly speaking, viruses are not alive, at least when you consider that the characteristics of biological life are the use of energy, evidence of growth, reproduction, homeostatis, and the presence of cells. To be alive, it is accepted that you must have a true cell and be constituted of cells. Viruses don’t have cells. They have a small number of genes, but not enough to allow them to grow, divide, expel waste, or defend against hot/cold. They also don’t carry their own repair enzymes that can fix errors. They are very sloppy about copying their DNA so if they were composed of thousands of genes, they'd be quickly wiped out.

Viruses don’t have enough genes that can do anything beyond make new viruses, so they're generally not considered to be alive.
 stargazer1000
Msg: 110
Posted: 7/22/2011 8:48:00 PM

Viruses don’t have enough genes that can do anything beyond make new viruses, so they're generally not considered to be alive.

Does "biological" work as a definition, versus "non-biological?"
 CheshireCatalyst
Msg: 111
view profile
History
Posted: 7/22/2011 9:52:02 PM
Viruses are definitely biological and have their own taxonomy, and they share characteristics with parasites that use host cells to reproduce their genomes. They just don't fit well with the definition of a living organism.

By comparison, I'd say that a non-biological virus would be something that infects your PC.
 Hibernian1960
Msg: 112
view profile
History
Posted: 7/25/2011 3:55:03 AM
Life as we know it.

Prokaryotic, eukaryotic, exhibiting bilateral symmetry or radial symmetry, reproducing sexually and/or asexually...Covers a lot, doesn't it?
 DevinRD
Msg: 113
Posted: 8/2/2011 2:46:21 AM
Isn't it a mathematical certainty that life exists on other planets?

I think the only feasible defense for a theory that life exists on Earth alone and no where else in the UNIVERSE would HAVE to be based on religion particularly creationism.

"God made us on Earth and didn't make anyone else on any other planet."

For anyone and everyone, religious or not who believes that life evolved naturally rather than being placed here literally by the hand of God, I think it goes without saying that its impossible for there NOT to be life that evolved naturally on many other planets throuought the universe.
 Earthpuppy
Msg: 114
view profile
History
Posted: 8/2/2011 4:26:46 AM
Even the gods have their home planets. This was probably a vacation planet for them, us being the ants they could screw with during a picnic.
 swamp_dude
Msg: 115
view profile
History
Posted: 8/3/2011 10:02:52 PM
friendly .... lol .... why would anyone think other life would be friendly ... when most other life is just surviving in a reproductive/consumption cycle that pays little heed to anything outside of that cycle.
 swamp_dude
Msg: 116
view profile
History
Posted: 8/4/2011 8:14:25 AM
Oh ... Hollywood ... I'm prone to thinking this Alien abduction thing is no different than ...Trolls living under bridges and stealing children ... just fits our modern times better.

Got to admit, the cattle mutilation stories are pretty bizarre though and I'm really not that sure what to make of it. ... Cults, Military, Alien, Dimensional? or Insurance fraud.
 Earthpuppy
Msg: 117
view profile
History
Posted: 8/4/2011 6:13:05 PM
One need only look at how humans treat their own planetmates to extrapolate how other species would view us in context. The slaughter of dolphins, whales, elephants, other bipeds,fellow mammels, amphibians, pollinators, and all sorts of interdependent species, shows that we are not truly from this place that give us life, allows us to continue to thrive and survive, and the failure to link that we are inter-dependent on thousands to millions of of other earthlings to be allowed to live on this rare blue ball of life in a big and expanding universe. We ignore the canaries in the coal mine of our brief existence at our own peril.
 R_O_U_S
Msg: 118
Posted: 8/10/2011 7:26:48 PM
as life developed from blue green algea X _Y_Y its been published as more of the question as to where did it come from... if the nitrogen froze from planet x and a rock having grater mass took years to hit from planet x causing the divergency between X_Y in mitochodric similaities in what alien system was this first established and what chatasrophe brought galaxy x to an end. Probably a collapse of a sun or supernovae nearby in the milkyway.. its prbably happening relitivity (X) quantumly hidden in a wide scale in dark matter. i opine lol.
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Life on Other Planets? YES????