Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 WorldTraveler74
Msg: 153
Death Metal and Dating... Page 4 of 11    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11)
Sadly I usually vastly dislike anyone into the things I'm into. (Black Metal, Death Metal, Hard core punk from the 80s etc). They almost exclusively like it for entirely different reasons than me.
 512sean
Msg: 154
Death Metal and Dating...
Posted: 1/9/2012 7:53:37 PM
yeah I'm new on this website and noticed in texas that there isn't any metalhead chicks. If there is, they are scene kids. Like for example, I read this female's profile and she said she doesn't like brutal death metal. She gave two examples, slayer and pantera. iflmao. That's heavy metal and thrash. Get it correct.

As for me it's hard for me to find chicks that like black metal or brutal death. I've listened to heavy stuff since I was 7 years old. Played in bands for 11 years now. I know I limit myself but the more heavy, evil and weird, the better.
 Life_Is_Dynamics
Msg: 155
Posted: 1/9/2012 11:47:26 PM
This is an interesting topic. I've played guitar since high school, and am involved in two metal-related projects (a full band, and a two-person studio project), and have been a listener predominantly of metal (though, it's HARDLY the only music I listen to) since my teens. I think, as a form of music, it gets a largely undeserved bad rap, especially here in the United States... and I'm pretty sure that when the boys and girls in high school got separated in the gymnasium for "the talk", all the girls were told that all metal is crap and never to go near it or anyone listening to it.

I never really thought of it from the dating perspective. On here I've gone back and forth so far as mentioning the bands/music I like, and the fact that I play music/metal. On one hand, some women are attracted to men who play music, on the other there's the stereotype that it rules our lives, runs us broke, and ONLY works with hard boozing, copious drugs, and promiscuous sex. Same as musical tastes go, while shared tastes in bands and/or styles can be a conversational point, women seem to be very much into the "deal-breaker" mindset and I really worry about both the "partyboy musician" archetype being unfairly applied, and whatever it is that makes women hate guys who listen to metal. After all, I'm mostly on here because my social-type activities, metal shows and non-redneck forms of motorsport, are complete sausage festivals.

That said, like a lot of metal guys, MOST of the girls I've dated were not much, if at all, into any form of heavy metal, and when it was, it was stuff like Guns 'n' Roses, not Meshuggah. Granted, not everything I listen to is metal, I listen to all sorts of classic and modern prog, some types of electronica (glitch hop, IDM, ambient, crossover stuff like The Prodigy or Ulver), underground hip hop (Aesop Rock, EL-P, dälek), instrumental rock, blues, world music, jazz and fusion... some genres in far less frequency than others, but overall, a diverse set of acts that never seem to have a female fanbase despite the genre.

I often wonder if people/women can tell, though. I'm not one for wearing all-black all-the-time, in fact I seek out band shirts in colors other than black when available (not that 99% of women know Hacride or Mnemic are even bands to begin with), and I quite often wear dress shirts... more prep than anything. Perhaps it's the hair. I actually never grew it out to be "metal" to begin with, I just like it long and think it looks good on me. I do get the, "Are you a musician/guitarist/in-a-rock/metal" band a lot. Apparently, all dudes without a supercut are in bands.
 Metalgrrl37
Msg: 156
Posted: 1/18/2012 7:57:36 AM
While I'm a big fan of "Metal" in all of it's wondrous and varied forms...I tend to like the kinds with clean understandable vocals the best. I've noticed that a lot of "Death Metal" fans seem to think clean vocals does not metal make. I beg to differ!! That being said, Yes I would absolutely date a death metal guy... u won't scare me! Long as you could put up with a hard rock/heavy metal girl!
 Life_Is_Dynamics
Msg: 157
Posted: 1/18/2012 9:41:52 AM
While I'm a big fan of "Metal" in all of it's wondrous and varied forms...I tend to like the kinds with clean understandable vocals the best. I've noticed that a lot of "Death Metal" fans seem to think clean vocals does not metal make. I beg to differ!! That being said, Yes I would absolutely date a death metal guy... u won't scare me! Long as you could put up with a hard rock/heavy metal girl!

As someone still involved in the scene a good bit, I'm going to disagree that there are a lot of extreme metal ('death metal' is really the wrong term here, as we're referring a number of the more abrasive sub-genres of metal, and death metal isn't a proper catch-all term for all of them) are all that avoidant of forms of metal with clean vocal styles. While there is a certain contingent of guys who are "all into the br00talz for the sake of the br00talz" for sure, I have NOT experienced that being the typical case. In fact, far too much of modern metal (extreme or otherwise) has crossed into the clean/dirty dualism so far as vocals go to say that there's little appreciation for both styles, IMO.

I think where things tend to get crossed-up, is a lot of old-school hard rock and metal fans, particularly those who passed through the heart of the '80s (and we're not talking about Possessed / Venom / Celtic Frost '80s here) and never could get on with the changing of the guard in the '90s / '00s tend NOT to be on the same level with WHICH clean-vocal'd bands we're appreciating. In that context, it's more of a distaste for a certain level of cheese (not that there's NOT a cheese factor in some DM, BM, etc. LOL, just a certain kind of manufactured cheese that was really popular for while) that the aforementioned era-specific fans TEND towards liking. Basically, just because extreme metal fans hate buttrock, doesn't mean it's a "clean vocals" thing. I could listen to Karnivool all day long, they're not even metal, but I will make faces if someone puts on Poison... if you know what I mean. You can extend that to a modern context as well, you're not going to find a whole lot of extreme metal aficionados who like Five Finger Death Punch, either. It's not the vocal style that they dislike, trust me.
 Proteaus
Msg: 158
Posted: 6/8/2013 4:11:01 AM
Especially in my age bracket it is very tough to find a hard rocker woman. I grew up on Sabbath and Priest and have added many other bands like Trivium and Rammstein etc. etc . Seems all the women my age have been pacified .Either they listen to oldies or country.
 bamagrl68
Msg: 159
Posted: 6/17/2013 3:57:21 PM
HArrenhal- I like some metal music: Metallica, ac/dc, Guns and Roses, Queensryche, a few others, in my opinion Lemmy Kilmister is a musical guineas (watch the special about him on VH1, Behind the music, mind blowing stuff).
Technically, death metal is a sub genre of heavy metal, similar yet different.
I don't care for most death metal because the drum beat and vocals are too frenzied to enjoy (I know, the very thing it's fans love).
Since you are so open minded and all, if I listen to death metal, will you give equal listening time to one of my favorites, the blues?
Taste in music is personal, to each their own. You are asking not to be judged, yet judging at the same time.
I've suggested this before when this same subject has come up, but it seems common sense to me that if you want to meet people who share your taste in music, go to concerts in the genre's you like!
 in-longing-spirit
Msg: 160
Posted: 6/18/2013 11:20:53 PM
"4. Most of my outlook on the world ties into the music I listen to, that is why I clicked so much with black metal, so if they can't understand it I feel like they can't understand me."

This is an issue for me as well. Black metal in particular seems born of a spirit that transcends the typical modern mindset. A mindset that, by the way, tends to be blind to the insanity that began to envelope the masses with the advent of technology, and consequent shift in our lifestyle.

The best I hope is that whoever I end up with can tolerate the fact that I enjoy this music. I tend to expect fans of extreme metal to at least be tolerant of my world view, and at best to share a similar one.

For people who understand metal, there can be a kind of bond with each other.

I write in my profile that I listen to metal, and this will hopefully prevent an awkward situation if I become involved with someone from the site.

An ah yes... the devil-worshipping question. LOL
 Dan_Bender
Msg: 161
Posted: 6/24/2013 1:30:08 PM
I literally cant find an ugly one, let alone a decent catch. Thats probably just my shitty town, though
 shine1274
Msg: 162
Posted: 7/1/2013 2:11:05 PM
My musical preferences are part of MY identity. I never felt a need to share that with a partner.
 MythicCreature
Msg: 163
Posted: 7/5/2013 12:08:41 PM
Where I live, it is extremely difficult. It used to be easier when I was younger. The fact I have both long hair and like metal is like being being down 2 strikes in baseball, ha ha.

But I think that those not giving me a chance are missing out. Just because I have long hair and like metal doesn't mean I am an unintelligent moron. But they will get pissed off when they see I am smarter than they realize, or in fact smarter than they are.

It is just unfortunate they are closed minded by it when I have all kinds of other interests and also like many forms of other music.

But it is their loss they let an opportunity of what could be the relationship they are looking for to pass them by.

I am not always rejected, but when they do reject me, it is because of the hair and choice of music, which is just so stupid.
 bamagrl68
Msg: 164
Posted: 7/10/2013 1:28:23 PM
mythicCreature- It's too bad you are being judged because of your hair and your taste in music.
Personally, I could care less if a man has long hair or is bald.
As far as the music issue, if you have different tastes in music, it's obvious to me the key would be compromise and being open minded to give each others music a chance.
What I would say to you and all the others here who have women turn them down over such banal things, is that someone like that isn't worth your time anyway.
Don't give up, there are many women in the world like me with a "to each their own" mind set.
 once_here
Msg: 165
Posted: 7/18/2013 9:41:00 PM
mainstream music needs covers like this :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d42twRGjzyE
 poker_fan_in_nyc
Msg: 166
Posted: 10/19/2013 12:14:23 PM
Not into "death" metal but I love metal...

I am taking my 13-year-old daughter to see Slayer next month (yeah I know it's only 1/2 the original band but will still be an experience for her)...mom & daughter, should be interesting :D

I really have nothing else to add at the moment, just wanted to add to the discussion some how \m/
 poker_fan_in_nyc
Msg: 167
Posted: 10/26/2013 1:52:14 PM

Both you and she have great taste! Slayer are bloody magnificent.

Why thank you...yes they are :D

I wanted to take her to see the Big4 back in Sept 2011 here in NYC but tickets were too expensive...I have seen them all so many times before but would have been a fun experience for her...
 Skathi
Msg: 168
view profile
History
Posted: 10/29/2013 1:10:48 PM
I'm a fan of Death Metal, Black Metal, Folk Metal etc I love everything, Even run a Metal forum & radio :D
 heilshevanel
Msg: 169
Posted: 1/7/2014 11:34:09 PM
This has always been a problem for me. I mean, I listen to some mainstream stuff, but I mostly identify with very heavy and progressive death metal. Any time I want to listen to something like "Arsonists get all the girls" or "Rings of Saturn" with a partner they go running for the hills. Yet, I am supposed to tolerate what is, for the most part, radio pop garbage.
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 170
Posted: 1/8/2014 12:04:09 AM
\m/\m/

What a great thread to discover some of other nearby POF metal people. Love it!
Always eager to attend fantastic shows in the NJ, NY, PA, CT area.

\m/\m/
 poker_fan_in_nyc
Msg: 171
Posted: 3/22/2014 12:48:03 PM

eric_summit: What a great thread to discover some of other nearby POF metal people. Love it!
Always eager to attend fantastic shows in the NJ, NY, PA, CT area.

Yeah we are very lucky to live in an area where lots of great musicians come...
I mainly go to shows in NYC, Philly and AC

Last month I had tickets to a taping of That Metal Show...but my son got sick that day and I couldn't go (they tape on Tuesdays at 5pm in Harlem)
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 172
Posted: 3/24/2014 9:55:48 AM
I think my next scheduled concert is Linkin Park later this summer.
Been trying to find some decent seats for the Motley Crue farewell tour this autumn.
My last show attended was the great Cheap Trick just a few towns over.
Have seen two fantastic Slayer shows and both were beyond great!
 CSM9
Msg: 173
view profile
History
Posted: 4/3/2014 5:42:20 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHBTVzRreSY

I listen to this song a regular basis. I consider myself a normal person. Probably not a good thing to mention on a first date though, unless I knew she was into that kind of music.
 ICantDoBackflipsAnyway
Msg: 174
Posted: 4/27/2014 7:23:05 AM
Metal is art.
Art is misunderstood.
If Metal bands started to sell millions of records again, no one would think you're crazy.

People are dumb.
 Somedude847
Msg: 175
Posted: 5/18/2014 6:56:58 AM
I've always seen attractive girls at metal shows. But then again, I see more genuine down to earth looking girls at hardcore shows. Dating someone who's into the exact same music as me isn't really a preference. I'm not sure I'd want a future girl friend to come with and watch me mosh or nearly get into a fight. It seems kinda odd.
 basilisk123
Msg: 176
view profile
History
Posted: 10/27/2014 7:03:51 PM
This thread is old as dirt, but I will offer a advice to future browsers. The best thing to do is have a range of music you like. That way you can switch out music as the situation warrants. By no means hide your love of death metal, but be open about it. Music is a mood setter, an emotional and psychological tuning fork. Learn to use it well and doors and opportunities will present themselves.

For instance, I have a collection of jazz, alternative, goth industrial ambient, techno, heavy metal, death metal. A selection for every mood I could be in and some to set the mood for myself and others. Explore other genres and you might surprise yourself.
 Demidar
Msg: 177
Posted: 10/30/2014 7:17:02 AM
Last relations ship the gf was always telling me to turn it down or off . I will not pick what I want to listen to just to please a woman . From my stand point some one will have to fit in with what I enjoy , not the other way around . Listening to Ain Elohim by Celtic Frost at the moment :)
Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  >