Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 34
Have a good life in a breakup e-mailPage 3 of 3    (1, 2, 3)

I think the phrase "have a good life" is a bit passive/aggressive.

I completely agree. I didn't get broken-up with via email ~ a month post-trauma I did receive an email which said "have a good life, ______" There is no doubt in my mind is was definitely passive/aggressive. The irony? He was the one who wanted out until he noticed I was gone and NOT going back. That brings me to an infamous cliche: Be careful what you wish for.
 ComplekCity
Msg: 35
Have a good life in a breakup e-mail
Posted: 2/18/2011 3:30:02 PM
When Joe says it he means it, but when Fred says it he's being sarcastic.

But , you can usually tell by the way they type it.

Either way, much worse can be said sarcastic or not.
 VacationGuy234
Msg: 36
Posted: 2/18/2011 4:27:50 PM
OK, I will clue you in: It means not one thing more or less than, "wishing you all the best" or "Please don't write to me again, or I will block your address."
 Walts
Msg: 39
Posted: 2/19/2011 5:00:48 AM
Ask YOURself why you would care what others say or think????? Maybe you should take and learn how to recieve a couple of shots here and there. It will help you to toughen up a bit. Ya know,for the real world.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 40
Posted: 2/19/2011 12:17:31 PM
Obviously it's going to mean something different depending on who says it. However, if it's over - does it matter?
 forumfishie
Msg: 41
Posted: 2/19/2011 1:16:35 PM
I have a male friend who finds it really insulting
and sarcastic when a woman he breaks up with says or writes "take care"

To him is like a F-U for Cristmas like Eminem says

I guess for some people anything that is not a "I would love to continue seeing you"
sounds like an insult
 JRodriguez81
Msg: 42
Posted: 2/19/2011 2:49:23 PM

When I end a goodbye email I will say something sincere like "wishing you all the best" or "Please don't write to me again, or I will block your address." (Hey - ya gotta admit, that's sincere!)

So give me a clue, someone. Is "have a good life" always sarky, or should it be read on a case-by-case basis?

I'd hate to receive someone's sarcasm and not be suitably stung by it!

Why do you care about it either way?
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 43
Posted: 2/19/2011 4:00:28 PM

I guess for some people anything that is not a "I would love to continue seeing you" sounds like an insult

+1
 duecesrwild5432
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Posted: 4/29/2013 12:17:43 AM
I never used those words in an e-mail. Only in person as they were used previously in my direction. Basically it means, I'll never talk to you again; get out of my life. My heart is shut off for good.
 charliesmom21
Msg: 46
Posted: 4/29/2013 4:42:00 AM
^^ Good one! I personally think the best revenge is to go on and live a happy life. I would not focus too much on what someone ends a "dear John" letter with. Most times people are just expressing their reasons why the relationship has to end. What you do after that is what counts. I say go live a great life as some people come into our lives just to teach us what we don't need or a lesson. JMHO
 SimpleCltMan
Msg: 47
Posted: 4/29/2013 11:38:25 AM
There are better ways of letting someone down. "have a good life" does sound juvenile". I use a subtler approach to it as saying, that I don't think we are compatible. I wish the person all the best, list all of their good points and if it was just that we couldn't date and got along, I would offer friendship. Most of the women I have met and it didn't work, we are still friends. I even celebrate when they find someone that is compatible. I don't expect it back from women and have been told the following... (top 3 "Dear John" letters)

- I think I deserve better and I am settling for you. Don't bother writing me back.
- You are a nice guy and I am not ready to date someone right now. (two days later, I saw her at a Starbucks with another man. She saw me and then apologized saying she didn't know what to do as this guy was a hotter and her friends said to dump me... her exact words)
- Just to let you know I am looking for a hero, not a zero. Kick rocks simplecltman and don't write me again. (that was her words to me after one date where she didn't get a steak dinner)

There have been a few more, but oh well. It is all a part of online dating.
 reboot1010
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Posted: 4/29/2013 12:57:28 PM
Really?

Is this what it has come to?

An analysis of the reply to a "thanks but no thanks" message.

You, and anybody who replied sincerely to this, are crazy.
 Maleman999
Msg: 49
Posted: 4/29/2013 2:45:42 PM

Really?

Uh-oh. You opened up another can of worms. Now we must have a minimum of 3 pages of responses analyzing the phrase "thanks but no thanks" and the psychological effect that phrase has on people. It's no wonder people on POF are not datable and forever single. If you were to say the sky is blue, people here will spend 6 months to a year psycho-analyzing the phrase, looking for hidden secret messages and will come up with a detailed psychological profile of the person who said it along with another POF specialty: psycho-analyzing the people who respond.
 msright78
Msg: 50
Posted: 4/29/2013 5:00:14 PM
OMG did that happen to u too? LOL

I think i wrote something similar like that to my ex bf once and I said it out of anger. So I'm assuming the person who said it to U, said it out of anger. I wouldn't read too much into it to be honest. We say things when we are angry.
 SimpleCltMan
Msg: 51
Posted: 4/30/2013 8:28:37 AM

Really?

You, and anybody who replied sincerely to this, are crazy.

Yeah really. Sometimes a person need closure to move on. Some slam the door, some gently close the door, but either way a person may feel hurt by it. We are dealing with the hurt here. More like a support group. So yes sometimes you need someone to help you look at a "thanks but no thanks" message just to move on from it.

"And I hope that you are Having the time of your life
But think twice That's my only advice
Come on now, who do you Who do you, who do you, who do you think you are?
Ha ha ha, bless your soul You really think you're in control?
Well, I think you're crazy
I think you're crazy
I think you're crazy
Just like me"

GNARLS BARKLEY - CRAZY
 Stray__Cat
Msg: 52
Posted: 4/30/2013 4:51:13 PM
I have had that blessing bestowed upon me....
with a not so nice intent once.

silly me.
I just went ahead and had a good life.

HAPPINESS!
the
ultimate
retort.
 VacationGuy234
Msg: 53
Posted: 6/6/2013 7:13:39 PM
They are probably a little hurt, but, really, what do you want them to say? The relationship has for all purposes ended. You are never going to see that person. And, that person doesn't owe you anything.

You might not want their sarcasm, but, by the same token, they don't want your rejection. It's a fair trade if not an eloquent one.
 VacationGuy234
Msg: 54
Posted: 6/7/2013 6:18:38 AM

But after you live together and get told this, outta the blue

That is a totally different ball game and not in the original post. It is way beyond the level of dating. In that case, the person deserves more than an email. It still might end immediately, but there needs to be communication in that situation.
 NinerV
Msg: 55
Posted: 6/7/2013 12:28:12 PM
Hmmm... could the OP be asking this question because that's what she does and wants to see how others thinks it's taken?
 35brock
Msg: 56
Posted: 6/14/2013 12:03:28 PM
I don't think people should overanalyze this. A person can say a lot worse things on an email such as calling you "ugly" or "b!tch". Or they can send "why not?" emails and keep begging you to give them another chance.
 RyanohRyan
Msg: 57
Posted: 6/24/2013 1:40:02 PM
It means that they plan on not seeing you again, and they wish you the best with the rest of your life. Plain and simple.
 jfwayne
Msg: 58
Posted: 9/17/2013 1:11:50 PM
It doesn't matter. just forget it!
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >