Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Why should I believe in aliens?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 looking4her2335
Msg: 226
Why should I believe in aliens?Page 10 of 14    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14)
Mark,

I re-read my post, and never did I intend to call them liars. Are they purposfully spreading misinformation? Now that's not something I had thought of before, but surely I'm not calling them liars. Could they be under some misapprehension...yeah they sure could. Again, eyewitness testimony, however intense, is to me rather unreliable. Sure they may have seen "something" but was it an alien spacecraft? Doubt it.

Just because a bunch of people saw "something" doesnt make it a valid representation of what they actually saw...I'm going to guess that you find that lacking as an explanation, but why should I believe them? Because they are pilots? Because a buch of people saw it...nope. Sorry, that's just unconvincing to me.

Again, liars...maybe? Doubt it.
 Soul Union
Msg: 227
Why should I believe in aliens?
Posted: 3/6/2013 5:38:32 PM
lookingforher...............you sidestepped numerous pilots, like hundreds of them clearly stating they saw these ufos do things and fly in a fashion that we dont have the ability to do. Why so many of them? Air traffic controllers told not to talk about what they saw on radar. Years back there was a ufo over Chicago O Hare. Delta employees, air traffic people and the public all saw the ufo shoot straight and a puncture a hole in the clouds. It made national news and the Chicago local news. I guess all those people are liars also. --- mark777771

Among the many documentaries I have at home, Tony Dodd (deceased), a British police sergeant, speaks about his 1978 encounter with a UFO on the Yorkshire Moors in northern England. One has only to have even a scant knowledge of body language to know that this person is telling the truth. There were too many factors working against him - silent ridicule, family shame, his children being scoffed at by other children, etc - for him to make such a public declaration. We are talking about a British police sergeant here, not some drugged-up fantasist. Whenever Tony speaks, whatever he says, is said with extreme clarity and credibility. In whatever documentary I see him, whether in England or the USA or wherever, in a relaxed or 'official' setting, like a large conference, Tony's sincerity simply blows me away. He is the antithesis of the cunning, lying, deceptive White House official, who will say anything for profit.

But then again, as looking4her2335 pointed out above, maybe Sergeant Dodd doesn't 'actually' know what he saw, or what he thought he saw, or what he may have seen, or what time of day it was, or who was with him in the police car, or . . . even, who Sergeant Dodd thought Sergeant Dodd was.

The incident occurred on the frosty winter morning of December 12, 1978, not
far from Skipton in North Yorkshire. At 4:30 am, a lonely police patrol car was
driving on a remote country road along the Cononley Moor. In the car were
Sgt Anthony Dodd and Constable Alan Dale, who operated the radio. It was
very dark and the road was lit only by the headlights of the car, the silence
broken only by the noise of the motor and the occasional messages over the
radio. Dodd loved that kind of mysterious stillness in the middle of a bare and
unspoiled countryside, with dark houses snuggling up against the low hills as if
seeking shelter from the cold winds, and the stone walls that divided the
meadows from time immemorial.

Suddenly, a loud static noise, hissing and rustling, tore Sgt Dodd out of his
reverie. They were just then driving into a curve when, to the right, a bright
white light seemed to be diving towards them in a glide. They thought it was a
burning airplane, so they drove to the side and stopped the car to see what
was happening and where it would land, in case help was required. It was,
however, no airplane but a big shining disc, which flew over their heads at a
speed of about 40 mph. At its closest, it was hardly 100 feet away from them,
so that they could see a number of details.

When I interviewed Dodd in 1991 for my documentary film UFOs: The Secret
Evidence
, he explained: "It had a dome with ports all around it. The bottom was
surrounded by coloured lights like neon lights in blue, red, green and white
which blinked in a sequence as if they were rotating, and in the middle there
were three spheres or hemispheres. It was a huge thing, about 100 feet in
diameter, and it made no noise whatsoever. What fascinated me even more
was that the object was enveloped in a kind of halo which made its entire
metallic structure glow white. It flew slowly over our heads and seemed to land
at a place behind a group of trees. But we couldn't see or check that out
because at that point it was too far away and in the middle of the moor." "What
on earth was that?" asked Constable Dale, breaking the silence, brought back
to reality by the penetrating cold. Sgt Dodd's answer came minutes after that.

"I don't know, but it was wonderful."

From that day onwards Dodd started collecting all the information about UFOs
that he could get, including, of course, the book Flying Saucers Have Landed
by Desmond Leslie and George Adamski. His personal encounter with a
saucer that resembled Adamski's saucer like a twin had convinced Dodd that
Adamski must indeed have had an encounter with a UFO. Since retiring in
1988, Dodd has dedicated himself fully to his "cosmic hobby" as he calls it, and
is today one of Britain's leading UFO researchers.

Tony Dodd died in 2009. Here are some comments from writer David Clayton
in the United Kingdom:

This morning, 25th March, 2009, I received the not unexpected dreaded
telephone call from Tony's wife, Pauline, to tell me the sad news of Tony's peaceful
passing just about midnight yesterday. He had been looked after at home by
Pauline and family, coupled with professional nursing care, since last August
when he was diagnosed with a terminal brain tumour.

For those wishing to know of the funeral arrangements, it will take place next
Tuesday, the 31st of March at 12.45 at the Parish Church of Linton, which is
close by Grassington, near Skipton, North Yorkshire.

Pauline and the family request no flowers please but instead donations to
either, Brain Cancer Research or the RSPCA in Tony's memory. Pauline tells
me he was very fond of his animals.

I am so sorry to notify such sad news. I was one of Tony's Quest International
UFO Investigators for some years from 1993. Over very many years, Tony
had made a great contribution to the whole UFO business with his own
investigations, magazine articles and most of all, his popular lectures and talks
on conference and meeting platforms all over the world.

He was so well liked and respected by everybody for his patience and humility
and willingness to talk at length to anybody on UFO topics. He doggedly stuck
to finding and reporting the truth of the reality of extraterrestrial presence,
even at the expense of seriously damaging his police career prospects.

Over the past years we have shared many private phone chats, pondering the
meaning of it all and debating the various risks and rights and wrongs of
''blowing the lid off'' aspects of the UFO business.

Certain mind-blowing dreadful evidence, that he knew the authorities were
desperate to 'keep the lid on', had come his way from particular official
sources, had concerned him, but Tony's loyalty to his country and the certain
'authorities' prevailed. 'Blowing the lid off' was a favourite line of Tony's which
we chuckled about many a time. He and Pauline had put up with threats from
the authorities from time to time, mainly in the USA, but he carried on doing
what he was meant to do, exercising constraint and responsibility.
Perhaps 25 years of exemplary service with the rank of sergeant in the West &
North Yorkshire Police Forces had something to do with his loyal attitude.

The late Sergeant Tony Dodd is just one official who witnessed strange craft and who
made it his business to talk to people about his sighting. There are many others. Again,
they are not drugged-up fantasists, but decent, hard-working, educated men and women
with something to tell humanity.

Please, if you have some time, check this video out:

- Peter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycJmBeaAltI
 looking4her2335
Msg: 228
Posted: 3/6/2013 6:23:02 PM
So basically, some guy in England saw what he thought was a strange craft, at 4:30 in the morning, on a dark and desolate road...and because he seems to be legit, he seems to be an honest person, I should just...accept his account as an accurate representation of what he saw? I mean, I don't know how else to put it...anecdotal evidence, heck it could be coming from my best friend, claiming he saw a UFO...I'd be skeptical. Photos can be doctored, people can be mistaken, I'm credulous enough to believe someones claim to have seen a UFO at face value, doesnt matter if its a cop, a president, the pope, my mother, whoever...why should I believe it? I'm still confused.

You say he's reliable...why? Because of body language? Do I think the guy is intentionally being misleading...well if, as you say he went on to become a prominent UFOlogist (whatever that means lol) it'd take alot of effort to be lying the entire time, but I really would not put it past anyone to do such things. Making wild accusations about the paranormal, and doing it over and over can become quite a lucritive venture, reguardless of the social stigma to someones family. I guess all I can say is what I have been saying man, stories, however compelling they make you feel, bodly language however genuine it may appear...don't add up to proof that UFO's are traversing the earth's airspace. What he saw could have been a myriad of things, least of all a hallucination...heck the guy was driving around on a unlit backroad at 4 in the morning...you can "see" lots of things that way. I'm not calling the guy a liar, as I stated before, I'm sure he did have an experience, but was it the real mccoy? My jury is out.
 Soul Union
Msg: 229
Posted: 3/6/2013 7:31:39 PM
So basically, some guy in England saw what he thought was a strange craft, at 4:30 in the morning, on a dark and desolate road...and because he seems to be legit, he seems to be an honest person, I should just...accept his account --- looking4her

No one is asking you to do anything. Frankly, I couldn't care less if you even remember to breathe.

What he saw could have been a myriad of things.

No. Let's rule that word out straight away, and let's get the grammar right before we use it.

myriad noun It comes from the Greek, meaning "ten thousand." We talk about "myriad stars in the night sky, thousands upon thousands of objects, not what Sergeant Tony Dodd saw from his police vehicle that morning. You're saying that you know what this man did not see. Mmm? You're saying the poor man is confused, and that what he and his partner saw early that morning could have been one of thousands upon thousands of things. Mmm?

And he's not "some guy in England." He was, by all accounts, a gentleman, a sincere, altruistic and uplifting human being, worth a hundred lying, rotten-mouthed White House officials who will say anything for personal gain.

There is another account I have on DVD, a difficult documentary to get your hands on, which contains a talk given by a former Danish Air Force commander. He describes how about a dozen objects came within ten miles or so of the airfield. Two of them were travelling at "18,000 miles an hour," according to radar. This is a very 'serious'-looking man, a former high-ranking officer, with nothing to gain by reflecting on his memories, memories of the incident which happened "back when I was only a captain at the time."

Again, I couldn't care less what anyone thinks. I am not here to convince anyone, influence anyone or ask anyone to do or be or think anything about anything in this universe. I don't even ask for the time of day. I'll find it myself, just like I do my own research.

The late Tony Dodd can be seen and heard here, amongst other places:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGLxPciCLOA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDOsZXyqOGA

- Peter
 3ffervescent
Msg: 230
view profile
History
Posted: 3/6/2013 7:41:43 PM

Photos can be doctored, people can be mistaken, I'm credulous enough to believe someones claim to have seen a UFO at face value, doesnt matter if its a cop, a president, the pope, my mother, whoever...why should I believe it? I'm still confused.

What if it came from Russel Crowe?????

Yes, Russel Crowe... The Aussie actor that can't sing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W63K--xUg6o&feature=player_embedded
 Luthion
Msg: 231
view profile
History
Posted: 3/6/2013 7:57:55 PM
There's nothing wrong with believing in the potential of alien *life*. Science supports the possibility.

Just don't assume they've visited us. Their chances of leaving their own solar system and actually managing to find our world amongst the almost incomprehensible vastness of space are about as high as our own - nearly impossible, and incredibly improbable.

The American government couldn't even hide when their president gets a blow job. Most of its military war crimes have been blown open in recent years. Do you really think if aliens had actually visited our planet that anyone would have been able to keep it a secret for more than five minutes?
 mark777771
Msg: 232
view profile
History
Posted: 3/7/2013 2:59:17 AM
Luthian that was funny about the president, and a great way to make a point. While I have mixed feelings as to whether we have been visited by aliens, it is interesting that so many people of all walks of life have forward and risked a lot to share what they saw,
 looking4her2335
Msg: 233
Posted: 3/7/2013 10:41:11 AM

No. Let's rule that word out straight away, and let's get the grammar right before we use it.
myriad noun It comes from the Greek, meaning "ten thousand."

Whoa whoa whoa guy, take it easy, I was not aware, that I was going to awake the grammar nazi in you. By myriad, I mean, many things. Just...take it easy.

And he's not "some guy in England." He was, by all accounts, a gentleman, a sincere, altruistic and uplifting human being, worth a hundred lying, rotten-mouthed White House officials who will say anything for personal gain

No, seriously, beyond all the claims you've made about his personality, such as a "gentleman, sincere, altruistic ect...he's just a guy who claimed to see something odd. That's it. Him being a gentleman, or so you say, has no bearing on whether I believe his claim or not. Furthermore, whats with all these references to "white house officials"...I sense a great disdain for the white house, and people who work in said building...alot from you no less.
 RussArtLover
Msg: 234
view profile
History
Posted: 3/7/2013 11:40:31 AM
Any of you guys ever actually been to Washington DC? lol
I had occasion to in my 30s. Took advantage and drove around all over it, people watching, soaking up the culture. Was great, EXCEPT when I drove into certain areas. I experienced AWE for the first time. Like they were watching me watch them. I wouldn't call them enemies, more like how we feel toward puppies chewing on the furniture. Some years later I saw ships multiple times. It's simply an experience you'll have to interpret yourself when/if you seem them. I felt privileged. :)
 Albvs
Msg: 235
Posted: 3/7/2013 3:48:13 PM

... it flickers up like a flame, and then it burns out and disappears.

Sounds like it wasn't a star.

It could have been a meteor burning up in the atmosphere and the positioning was such that it was coming in a direction toward your viewpoint. You might try to pinpoint the night(s) when this happened and then research the recurring meteor showers that pelt the Earth for when they arrive. I've watched some (like the Leonids) from my own viewpoint in North America and they put on a great show.
 Albvs
Msg: 236
Posted: 3/7/2013 3:53:22 PM

Any of you guys ever actually been to Washington DC? lol

As I mentioned before in one of these threads, I worked there.

Like they were watching me watch them. I wouldn't call them enemies, more like how we feel toward puppies chewing on the furniture. Some years later I saw ships multiple times.

July 12th, 1952
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTZ7O9cfpPQ

Yeah, D.C. used to have more than their fair share of flying saucer sitings for a while there.
 Albvs
Msg: 237
Posted: 3/7/2013 3:59:10 PM

Do you really think if aliens had actually visited our planet that anyone would have been able to keep it a secret for more than five minutes?

Yes I do. The military does a pretty good job of indoctrination. It's very selective about who gets access to sensitive information.

But look at this forum. Here I am, a veteran who worked at the Pentagon, and I'm trying to relate things and all I get is ridicule from people who couldn't/wouldn't ever believe anything like this. What good does it do to even try to communicate anything? You're not open to it. You suggest that the problem is that people can't keep a good secret. Here I am trying to do just that and you refuse to listen. Ironic?
 Luthion
Msg: 238
view profile
History
Posted: 3/7/2013 4:02:23 PM
I don't believe for a second that you worked at the Pentagon, frankly. 99% of the stuff you've posted on these forums is utterly drivel pseudo-science without any thought for actual real science and a complete lack of understandings of how the whole concept of scientific evidence works.

If it exists, why aren't you out proving it? Go contact Wikileaks or something.

I'm open to anything. That can actually be supported by reliable sources and proven. Show me actual empirical evidence and I will believe you in a hearbeat. Almost everything you post is constructed of abysmal pseudo-science and half baked theorising. None of it holds any weight.
 Albvs
Msg: 239
Posted: 3/7/2013 4:15:49 PM

well I used to be the head of NASA , but I really can't talk about that, before I ran the disinformation program at the U.N., where I had Carte-Blanche access at the Pentagon as well as at the White House, 10 Downing Street, and the French Piscine, the Kremlin and the Soviet DoD, plus was the exchange officer with China and North Korea (all subject to confidentiality restrictions, ALAS!) and was the go-to consultant for the top billionaires of the world,. but I signed a non-disclosure statement so really I can't say anything except I know that aliens exist, I met several and even had them over for Sunday brunch..but I can't say anything about that!!

of course you should believe me given my credentials, however I could not wear my uniform as Supreme Earth Commander in my profile photo, because it is against the terms of my employment contract!

Awe... you're such a comedian.

Oh look, it's a photo of me in the Air Force...
http://i50.tinypic.com/2cscfas.jpg

Handsome, wasn't I? I worked in the 7th Communications Group. As I recall one of my offices was BD926. (Go ahead and Google that.) If you knew anything about office designations in the Pentagon you'd know that to find BD926 you start on the basement level, go to the D ring, 9th spoke and then look for office 26 down that corridor.

I had two top-secret security clearances: TS-TK/Gamma and TS-SCI. Google that, too. Do a little research and find out what your government paid to vet me for those. We provided secure communications for the Joint Chiefs of Staff and the White House and lots of other nameless sites in the Pentagon.

Honestly, the food in the food court was total crap. Whoever had won that contract to supply food for us should be shot. It felt like a mile walk to my car in the parking lot each way and I'm not exaggerating.

------------

The billionaire angel investor: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Rudd
 RussArtLover
Msg: 240
view profile
History
Posted: 3/7/2013 4:19:20 PM
For what it's worth ...I sold a computer to a guy once. He told me his job was personally visiting people scaring the crap out of them so they would stfu about sightings :)
I guess I just have that effect on people "in person". Some people don't have to try to be cool. I guess I don't have to try to be the anti-christ.

boo
 Luthion
Msg: 241
view profile
History
Posted: 3/7/2013 4:20:03 PM
Then you should have empirical evidence.

Otherwise you're just blowing your own trumpet.

"Oooooh, I have to keep it a secret, but alien really do exists! Don't tell anyone! You just have to take my word for it!"
 mark777771
Msg: 242
view profile
History
Posted: 3/7/2013 4:26:52 PM
albvs I believe you worked at the Pentagon. The problem is at these sites anybody can say anything, be whatever they want to be, etc. I am a vet also and had clearance, a very high one and left after one tour of duty. Its a bold statement to say we are not alone. Due to the large number of nutcases on the net and in life people are leary. You and I know that the Government can keep huge secrets for long periods of time. I cant unequivocably say I know aliens exist or we are being visited. You are suggesting they do exist and are here. What do you think is the single best evidence that they do exist?
 RussArtLover
Msg: 243
view profile
History
Posted: 3/7/2013 4:33:33 PM
Thing is, I think if I drove through Washington now they would have cleared out some time ago. Whatever they wanted they got, now they aren't interested in us. So if you do happen to see a ship or something maybe that's a good sign.
 Albvs
Msg: 244
Posted: 3/7/2013 4:45:30 PM

I don't believe for a second that you worked at the Pentagon, frankly. 99% of the stuff you've posted on these forums is utterly drivel pseudo-science without any thought for actual real science and a complete lack of understandings of how the whole concept of scientific evidence works.

If it exists, why aren't you out proving it? Go contact Wikileaks or something.

I'm open to anything. That can actually be supported by reliable sources and proven. Show me actual empirical evidence and I will believe you in a hearbeat. Almost everything you post is constructed of abysmal pseudo-science and half baked theorising. None of it holds any weight.

:opening up my folder:
I have my DD-214; my military ID; my dogtags; here's a photo of me looking cool in a leather jacket and there's the comm group logo in the background (must have been around Halloween because there are all kinds of cheesy decorations hung up); a blood donor card (Form 11) from Wilford Hall USAF Medical Center (Lackland); photo of me as a buck sergeant fixing a Teletype; variety of photos of my co-workers; photo of me getting my sergeant rank in a ceremony of some kind; my membership card for Mensa; hella-cool photo of me in Hawaii; me waterskiing...; my passport issued in Washington, D.C.; my volksmarch cards from Germany... Any of this interest you?

Form DD-214 "Certificate of Release or Discharge From Active Duty"
Line 7 (Last Duty Assignment and Major Command) says... "7 CG (AFCC)
Line 8 (Station where separated) says... "THE PENTAGON, WASHINGTON DC"

If I provide a scan of that document (redacted to hide my name, SSN, DOB and Mailing Address) would you be satisfied? I'm guessing you wouldn't. You don't WANT me to be real. You want me to be a fake so that you can be right.
 Luthion
Msg: 245
view profile
History
Posted: 3/7/2013 4:47:22 PM
Does this document actually show *proof* of aliens? I honestly couldn't care where you worked anyway if you can't even prove a single claim you're making.

Why were you discharged?

I never said you weren't real. I simply said you're a hack. Show me actual empirical evidence of your wild, ludicrous, pseudo-scientific assumptions and I will happily believe you.
 mark777771
Msg: 246
view profile
History
Posted: 3/7/2013 5:05:39 PM
sts 48 is fascinating. Of course Nasa explained it away as ice particles being blown away by the engines of the craft. lol Interesting ice particles huh?
 OutofControlMan
Msg: 247
Posted: 3/7/2013 5:15:35 PM
what does any of that prove, other than someone can use Google ?.. hundreds of thousands of people have "worked at the Pentagon" _ I bet lots wouldn't think there are aliens. it might be better to try to impress/wow people in real life than on the internet? (though it may be somewhat more difficult) just a friendly tip, better for mental health & social life

"Google it" what a challenge, maybe you just reverse-Googled to give those numbers/forms/rankings?

my bud:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_gates

a copy of the application form I used when joining the Israeli Shin Bet security force: (details blanked out for security reasons)

http://www.shabak.gov.il/SiteCollectionImages/%D7%93%D7%A8%D7%95%D7%A9%D7%99%D7%9D/forms/security-matching.pdf

Cdn. one, ditto:

http://www.tbs-sct.gc.ca/tbsf-fsct/330-60-eng.pdf

I've met so many BS artists in my life.
 Albvs
Msg: 248
Posted: 3/7/2013 5:19:27 PM

albvs I believe you worked at the Pentagon.

Coolness.

The problem is at these sites anybody can say anything, be whatever they want to be, etc.

Yep. And as they say, "the guilty dog barks the loudest". It's usually the guys who heckle the worst who carry guilt because they're lying in their own profiles, for example. They probably reason that if they routinely lie then others do as well.

I am a vet also and had clearance, a very high one and left after one tour of duty.

I signed up for six and got my two stripes out of Basic Training. Same here, I left after one enlistment.

Its a bold statement to say we are not alone. Due to the large number of nutcases on the net and in life people are leary. You and I know that the Government can keep huge secrets for long periods of time.

I totally agree. Anonymity makes people say things and feel like they can get away with almost anything. So what is our take-away lesson? We have to weigh what we're hearing against our own internal bullshit detectors. Most of the time we just dismiss what we're hearing and move on. And then once in a while you get some clown like me on the Internet who is undaunted by criticism. He simply plods on and provides additional information. It doesn't bother me that people don't want to believe someone on the Internet--it's human nature.

I cant unequivocably say I know aliens exist or we are being visited. You are suggesting they do exist and are here. What do you think is the single best evidence that they do exist?

Hm... I'm thinking about that. I'd like to dredge up something compelling...

The most compelling evidence is something you can hold in your hands or see with your own eyes. Once in your hands you'd have to be free to completely evaluate it, perhaps with a microscope. I don't have anything like that with respect to aliens.

Perhaps the worst evidence is anecdotal, something that someone else claims to have held in their hands or seen with their own eyes. Although this might work to alter my own belief system, I couldn't use that to convince you.

I made an argument earlier based upon statistics but I'd have to track down that earlier thread. If there are a quintillion planets out there and several billions of years' of progress BEFORE our planet was created then it stands to reason that we're not the only intelligent ones around nor are we the smartest.

Imagine if we were to have a meeting with a collection of people from : 100 years ago, 500 years ago, 1000 years ago and 10,000 years ago. What's the minimum separation in years before we would start to seem like gods to our predecessors? Can you even wrap your mind around how much more advanced someone would be if they got a billion-year jump on us evolution-wise? If we pulled out a cellphone and started having a conversation wouldn't the person from 500 years ago assume that we're in league with the devil, perhaps?

So I think perhaps the best tactic would be to use statistics and to suggest that the time scale alone almost demands that there be aliens.
 Luthion
Msg: 249
view profile
History
Posted: 3/7/2013 5:25:15 PM
I'll take that as a no.

He simply plods on and provides additional information. It doesn't bother me that people don't want to believe someone on the Internet.

We will happily believe you when you can actually provide even the most basic amount of proof to your claims.
 Albvs
Msg: 250
Posted: 3/7/2013 5:27:19 PM

sts 48 is fascinating.

That's pretty cool.
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Why should I believe in aliens?