Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Why should I believe in aliens?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 jed456
Msg: 276
view profile
History
Why should I believe in aliens?Page 12 of 14    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14)

We need more posters like this, rather than the abundance of defensive, destructive, cynical, claw-your-way-to-the-top, anything-to-stroke-my-ego outbursts designed to humiliate and ridicule other people.

Like calling people who don't accept your words as fact sheeple?I visited David Icke's site you provided. IMO anyone who takes him seriously has problems just my opinion.Do I believe intelligent life is somewhere in the Universe? I do.

Can all Unidentified Flying objects be explained away,No they can't be.Science is discovering new planet's all the time.
But when it comes to Alien shape shifter's I am going to refute it until you provide evidence.I can claim I saw Bigfoot but without providing any proof it is a claim nothing more.

And here is the 1978 sighting that was seen around the world are they alien spacecraft no idea but something very strange is going on here.

http://fliiby.com/file/134288/y6ontlt5c1.html
 Soul Union
Msg: 277
Why should I believe in aliens?
Posted: 3/15/2013 9:25:17 PM
Nothing wrong with calling people out on their thinking. However, I question whether people actually try to see the other person's point of view and give it any creedence at all. And as far as the grammar police go, well give me a ticket. --- mark77771

disclosure [noun] The act or process of revealing or uncovering; freeing from secrecy or ignorance.

"It's one of these currents of history that won't be denied. The truth is going to come out. And when it does it's going to be explosive." -- Richard Doland [Historian and author]

"So once we get that 'out,' we will go back and completely reassemble the 20th century, rewrite it in a way, and may have to even go back and rewrite a significant portion of the last 12,000 years." -- Steve Bassett [Political activist]

"This is the greatest story in human history. And the reason it is the greatest story in human history is because it is the greatest story of human history." [Retired US Army Command Sergeant-Major with Cosmic Top Secret clearance while in the Military; UFOlogist; professional UFO researcher; Lecturer and Speaker]

"We already have the means to travel among the stars, but these technologies are locked up in black projects, and it would take an act of God to ever get them out to benefit humanity. Anything you can imagine, we already know how to do." -- Ben Rich [Former Director of the Lockheed Skunkworks (1975-1991) just prior to his death in 1995]

"At no time when the astronauts were in space were they alone. There was a constant surveillance of UFOs." -- Astronaut Scott Carpenter [Photographed a UFO while in orbit on May 24, 1962. NASA has still not released the photograph]

"I've been asked about UFOs, and I've said publicly I thought they were somebody else, some other civilization." -- Commander Eugene Cernan [Commander of the Apollo 17 mission]

"I can assure you that flying saucers, given that they exist, are not constructed by any power on Earth." -- President Harry S Truman [1950]

On August 20, 1949, Dr Clyde W Tombaugh observed a UFO that appeared as a geometrically arranged group of six to eight rectangles of light, window-like in appearance and yellowish-green in colour, which moved from north-west to south-east over Las Cruces, New Mexico. Dr Clyde W Tombaugh [American astronomer who discovered the planet Pluto]

- Peter
 whippedboi
Msg: 278
Posted: 3/16/2013 12:09:26 PM
^^

'appeal to authority figures' is hardly the highest form of debate. because a few politicians (among others) believe or say they believe, everyone else should?

recall, politicians lie for a living ,as part of their training , and as a way to advance in their careers.

A bit odd how many of the same people who believe in 'aliens', ghosts, 'spirits' etc. , without a shred of proof, also believe the NASA moon landings of 1969, with massive evidence produced, were 'faked' ?

One can believe what they want to it appears.

BTW I know there are millions of 'aliens', in the USA, primarily in southern states. many originally from Mexico.
 Rheostatic
Msg: 279
Posted: 3/16/2013 1:19:31 PM
^^

FYI, believing that life exists elsewhere in the universe outside of our "pale blue dot" (aliens) is a perfectly reasonable assumption to make. Believing these aliens have visited our "pale blue dot", infiltrated our governments, mutilated our cattle, abducted our citizens, played "boogeyman" to our pilots, is quite another thing entirely.
 Albvs
Msg: 280
Posted: 3/16/2013 4:52:56 PM

To repeat this process multiple times as advocated by Alvs would require lines of communication and supply chains on an interstellar level.

If we went back into time and spoke with a science professor from about 200 years ago we'd probably have a similar discussion. Mr. 1813 would argue just like you're doing. He would assume that to travel from Boston to San Francisco it would need to be using the same methods that he's familiar with. He'd be incapable of abandoning the concept of rail travel and would state adamantly that in the future it would be impossible to travel between those two cities within the span of one business day. No way.

To Mr. 1813 there are restrictions to the speed of travel. And you, sir, suffer the same way. You believe Albert Einstein.

Do you really REALLY think that an alien race a billion years more advanced than ourselves hasn't moved past the Einstein interpretation of travel? Do you REALLY think that Earth's circa-1900 science is the ultimate definition of what happens around us?

It's just arrogant to think that we understand the power required to zip around the universe based upon our infantile level of understanding. It's arrogant to think that Einstein got it right.

Clarke's Three Laws are three "laws" of prediction formulated by the British writer Arthur C. Clarke. They are:
1) When a distinguished but elderly scientist states that something is possible, he is almost certainly right. When he states that something is impossible, he is very probably wrong. (See Einstein's speed-of-light restriction on speed.)
2) The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible.
3) Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. (See how flying saucers can make right-angle turns at Mach 12+.)
 Soul Union
Msg: 281
Posted: 3/16/2013 8:42:02 PM
If we went back into time and spoke with a science professor from about 200 years ago, we'd probably have a similar discussion. Mr 1813 would argue just like you're doing. -- Albvs

You're right on the money, Albvs. For instance:

"Radio has no future, heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible, and these X-rays will prove to be a hoax." -- William Thomson (Lord Kelvin) [British scientist, 1899]

"In my mind, there is no question that they are out there. My career is well established. My textbooks are required reading in all the major capitals. If you want to become a physicist to learn about the unified field theory, you read my books. Therefore, I'm in a position to say -- yes, most likely they're out there, perhaps even visited, perhaps on our moon." -- Professor Michio Kaku [Author of Theoretical Physics UNY]

"I've been convinced for a long time that flying saucers are real and interplanetary. In other words, we are being watched by beings from outer space." -- Albert M Chop [Deputy Public Relations Director, National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) and former United States Air Force spokesman for Project Blue Book]

"When the long-awaited solution to the UFO problem comes, I believe that it will prove to be not merely the next small step in the march of science, but a mighty and totally unexpected quantum leap. We had a job to do, whether right or wrong, to keep the public from getting excited." -- Dr J Allen Hynek [Director US Air Force's Project Blue Book as a scientific consultant, astronomer, investigator and analyst]

"Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the universe without a doubt does exist. In the vastness of the universe we are not alone." -- [The Bible According to Albert Einstein]

"It is my thesis that flying saucers are real and that they are spaceships from another solar system. There is no doubt in my mind that these objects are interplanetary craft of some sort. I and my colleagues are confident that they do not originate in our solar system." -- Dr Hermann Oberth [The father of modern rocketry]

"I am completely convinced that UFOs have an out-of-world basis." -- Dr Walther Riedel [Once Chief Designer and Research Director at the German Rocket Centre in Peenemunde]

"The possibility of reduced-time interstellar travel either by advanced extraterrestrial civilizations at present or ourselves in the future is not fundamentally constrained by physical principles." -- Dr Harold Puthoff [Director, Institute for Advanced Studies at Austin, Author of Fundamentals of Quantum Electronics]

“The least improbable explanation is that these things are artificial and controlled. My opinion for some time has been that they have an extraterrestrial origin." -- Dr Maurice Biot [Leading aerodynamicist and mathematical physicist]

"Extraterrestrial contact is a real phenomenon. The Vatican is receiving much information about extraterrestrials and their contacts with humans from its embassies in various countries, such as Mexico, Chile and Venezuela." -- Monsignor Corrado Balducci [(As stated five different times on Italian TV), Vatican theologian and insider close to the Pope, Monsignor Balducci said that he is on a Vatican commission looking into extraterrestrial encounters and how to cope with the emerging general realization of extraterrestrial contact.]

"We must insist upon full access to disks recovered. For instance, in the LA case the Army grabbed it and would not let us have it for cursory examination." -- J Edgar Hoover

"I am convinced that these objects do exist and that they are not manufactured by any nations on Earth." -- Air Chief Marshal Lord Dowding [Commander-in-Chief, Royal Air Force Fighter Command]

"The UFO phenomenon being reported is something real and not visionary or fictitious" -- General Nathan Twining [Chairman, Joint Chiefs-of-Staff, 1955-1958]

"With control of the universe at stake, a crash programme is imperative. We produced the A-bomb, under the huge Manhattan Project, in an amazingly short time. The urgency today is even greater. The Air Force should end UFO secrecy, give the facts to scientists, the public, to Congress. Once the people realize the truth, they will back, even demand, a crash programme. For this is one race we dare not lose." -- Major Donald E Keyhoe [USMC, Director NICAP 1953]

"Unknown objects are operating under intelligent control, It is imperative that we learn where UFOs come from and what their purpose is. I can tell you, behind the scenes, high-ranking military officers are soberly concerned about the UFOs." -- Admiral Roscoe Hillenkoetter [Former Director of the Central Intelligence Agency]

"The possibility of reduced-time interstellar travel by advanced extraterrestrial civilizations at present or ourselves in the future is not fundamentally constrained by physical principles." Dr Harold Puthoff [Director, Institute for Advanced Studies at Austin, Author of Fundamentals of Quantum Electronics]

"I feel that the Air Force has not been giving out all the available information on the Unidentified Flying Objects. You cannot disregard so many unimpeachable sources." John W McCormack [Speaker of the House of Representatives of the United States, January 1965]

"I certainly believe in aliens in space, and that they are indeed visiting our planet. They may not look like us, but I have very strong feelings that they have advanced beyond our mental capabilities." -- Senator Barry Goldwater [1965]

"I don't laugh at people any more when they say they've seen UFOs. I've seen one myself." -- President Jimmy Carter [1976]

"I looked out the window and saw this white light. It was zigzagging around. I went up to the pilot and said: 'Have you ever seen anything like that?' He was shocked and said: 'Nope.' And I said to him: 'Let's follow it!' We followed it for several minutes. It was a bright white light.We followed it to Bakersfield, and all of a sudden to our utter amazement it went straight up into the heavens. When I got off the plane I told Nancy all about it." -- President Ronald Reagan [Describing his 1974 UFO encounter to veteran newsman Norman C Miller, then Washington Bureau Chief for the Wall Street Journal]

"The phenomenon of UFOs does exist, and it must be treated seriously." -- Mikhail Gorbachev

"I'm not at liberty to discuss the government's knowledge of extraterrestrial UFOs at this time. I am still personally being briefed on the subject." -- President Richard M Nixon

“I believe, and I scientifically am certain, that there are endless other living forms out there, including intelligent sentient beings. I do know that there are entire universes of living forms out there." Dr Story Musgrave [NASA scientist-astronaut]

"I believe that these extraterrestrial vehicles and their crews are visiting this planet from other planets which obviously are a little more technically advanced than we are here on Earth." -- Colonel L Gordon Cooper [Mercury 9, Gemini-5 astronaut]

"Mission control, we have a UFO pacing our position, request instructions." -- Astronaut Cady Coleman [NASA transmission, shuttle mission STS-73]

"We have contact with alien cultures." -- Astronaut Dr Brian O'Leary

"In my official status, I cannot comment on ET contact. However, personally, I can assure you, we are not alone!" -- Charles J Camarda, PhD [NASA astronaut]

We all know that UFOs are real. All we need to ask is where do they come from, and what do they want?" -- Captain Edgar Mitchell [Apollo 14 astronaut]

"All Apollo and Gemini flights were followed, both at a distance and sometimes also quite closely, by space vehicles of extraterrestrial origin - flying saucers, or UFOs, if you want to call them by that name. Every time it occurred, the astronauts informed Mission Control, who then ordered absolute silence." -- Maurice Chatelain [Former Chief of NASA Communications Systems]

On May 11, 1962 NASA pilot Joseph Walker said that one of his tasks was to detect UFOs during his X-15 flights. He had filmed five or six UFOs during his record-breaking fifty-mile-high flight in April, 1962. It was the second time he had filmed UFOs in flight. To date none of those films has been released to the public for viewing. During a lecture at the Second National Conference on the Peaceful Uses of Space Research in Seattle, Washington, he stated: "I don't feel like speculating about them. All I know is what appeared on the film which was developed after the flight." NASA Pilot Joseph A Walker

"I was testing a P-51 fighter in Minneapolis when I spotted this object. I was at about 10,000 ft on a nice, bright, sunny afternoon. I thought the object was a kite, then I realized that no kite is gonna fly that high. As I got closer it looked like a weather balloon, grey and about three feet in diameter. But as soon as I got behind the darn thing it didn't look like a balloon anymore. It looked like a saucer, a disk. About the same time, I realized that it was suddenly going away from me -- and there I was, running at about 300 miles per hour. I tracked it for a little way, and then all of a sudden the damn thing just took off. It pulled about a 45-degree climbing turn and accelerated and just flat disappeared." Mercury Astronaut Captain Donald Slayton

"Let there be no doubt. Alien technology harvested from the infamous saucer crash in Roswell, New Mexico in July 1947 led directly to the development of the integrated circuit chip, laser and fiber optic technologies, Particle beams, Electromagnetic propulsion systems, Depleted uranium projectiles, Stealth capabilities, and many others. How do I know? I was in charge. (A matter of public record.) I think the kids on this planet are wise to the truth, and I think we ought to give it to them. I think they deserve it." -- Colonel Philip Corso [Army Intelligence Officer, former Head of the Foreign Technology at the US Army's Research and Development Department at the Pentagon, four years Director of Intelligence on President Eisenhower's White House National Security Staff]

- Peter
 Albvs
Msg: 282
Posted: 3/17/2013 4:13:53 PM

"I looked out the window and saw this white light. It was zigzagging around. I went up to the pilot and said: 'Have you ever seen anything like that?' He was shocked and said: 'Nope.' And I said to him: 'Let's follow it!' We followed it for several minutes. It was a bright white light.We followed it to Bakersfield, and all of a sudden to our utter amazement it went straight up into the heavens. When I got off the plane I told Nancy all about it." -- President Ronald Reagan [Describing his 1974 UFO encounter to veteran newsman Norman C Miller, then Washington Bureau Chief for the Wall Street Journal]

Ohhhhh... well that explains a lot. They stopped briefing U.S. presidents about aliens at some point. I'd guess that it was after JFK.*

But then Reagan started referring to aliens in his speeches**, combined with his Star Wars Initiative***, I couldn't reconcile this if they'd stopped disclosing all this to presidents. At least it makes sense now, he saw a UFO himself.

* http://www.thepowerhour.com/news3/jfk_speech_transcript.htm
** http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ag44dRO8LEA
*** http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strategic_Defense_Initiative
 Albvs
Msg: 283
Posted: 3/17/2013 4:22:28 PM
Yeah, but Peter, you can't believe a bunch of Colonels, Captains, astronauts, former U.S. presidents, NASA pilots, employees of NASA, heads of state, etc, etc. We all know that they're just a bunch of tinfoil-hat wearing loonies. How could they possibly have information that we don't? I mean, if there were flying saucers and aliens then Fox News would tell us about it.

Nicely done, btw.
 Rheostatic
Msg: 284
Posted: 3/17/2013 5:09:40 PM
Yeah, but Peter, you can't believe a bunch of Colonels, Captains, astronauts, former U.S. presidents, NASA pilots, employees of NASA, heads of state, etc, etc. We all know that they're just a bunch of tinfoil-hat wearing loonies. How could they possibly have information that we don't? I mean, if there were flying saucers and aliens then Fox News would tell us about it.

Nicely done, btw.

You mean, the exact same people who are supposedly lying to us about landing on the moon?

It's almost as if I should only believe them when I have a pre-conceived belief about what they are supposedly telling the truth about?

Ugh, this is getting awfully confusing. How do you conspiracy theorists keep up with it all?
 Albvs
Msg: 285
Posted: 3/17/2013 5:46:29 PM

You mean, the exact same people who are supposedly lying to us about landing on the moon?

So... you didn't read Peter's post? Or... you didn't respond to it because you had no way of ridiculing it?
 Rheostatic
Msg: 286
Posted: 3/17/2013 6:17:47 PM
So... you didn't read Peter's post? Or... you didn't respond to it because you had no way of ridiculing it?

Which post, exactly? The one citing anecdotal evidence or the one citing anecdotal evidence?

I can ridicule anything, just give me a topic.

*points to profile*
 Soul Union
Msg: 287
Posted: 3/17/2013 6:20:38 PM
Sorry brother, I'm going to trust science and logic over some anecdotal crap some random mental nutcase posts on a forum and nothing you could possibly say would change my mind about that. --- Petraeus

Science? Logic? Oh you mean those two impostors before whom the world still kneels? Ah well, each to his own.
How does science or logic explain this event?

Some time during 1996-1997, a British Airways pilot, a captain, had just come back from a flight from Glasgow to the Western Isles. He was walking along a corridor at Glasgow Airport when he decided, just for a change, to take a different route on his way to the bus to get to the hotel after the flight.

“And as I deviated,” he said thoughtfully, “I saw with the corner of my eye this friend of mine coming towards me.” He described the man as being “a colleague, someone I’ve flown with to and from the Western Isles, Shetland, Orkney, up and down and over the years. We stayed at the same hotels, we flew the same planes, et cetera, et cetera.”

The captain, “Bob,” continued: “I stopped, put my bags down, and waited for him to come over. I noticed he’d lost a lot of weight. He looked very thin. I put my hand out to shake his, but he didn’t respond, which I found a bit odd. We spoke fairly briefly, how’re you doing and all the usual rubbish that people talk, and then he [the other pilot, the ‘colleague’] said: ‘I’ve got to go now.’ So I said: ‘Fair enough,’ picked up my bags and legged it to catch the bus to get back into town.

“Next day I’m in the pub, where we all meet, and a friend of mine taps me on the shoulder. ‘Just a minute,’ he said. The friend then goes to the paper rack, brings back The Scotsman, opens it to the Obituaries, and points to a particular passing. And to my absolute astonishment, it’s the same person I was talking to the day before.”

As a life-long student of non-verbal language, I have watched Captain Bob many times on the DVD I have at home. It is one of a set of documentaries about strange occurrences across the world. I have studied the pilot’s non-verbal language repeatedly, and I am convinced he is telling the truth. He continues:

“Now, if you want to call me a nut, you can call me a nut, but I can assure you that, as an ex-airline pilot, ex-fighter pilot, ex-naval officer, I don’t . . . [he hesitated and groped for an appropriate word] I don’t make up these silly stories.”

It transpired that the other pilot had died unexpectedly, at a fairly young age, and had lost a lot of weight. It was eight months since Captain Bob had last seen the man before talking to him at the airport.

Captain Bob had nothing to gain -- not one iota of profit of any kind -- by going public with this encounter. In fact, he had everything to lose.

Scottish astronomer and psychic investigator, the late Professor Archie Roy, Professor Emeritus at Glasgow University, Fellow of the Royal Society of Edinburgh, past President of the Society of Psychical Research who conducted research in astrodynamics, celestial mechanics, archaeoastronomy, psychical research, and neural networks, took up the case and he, too, was convinced of the pilot’s sincerity. He mentioned the case in many of his lectures, adding: “This encounter has made a tremendous difference to the life of the pilot and to how he sees the world around him.” Apparently the incident had a profound effect on Captain Bob.

Nah, you can’t beat Science and Logic. These two guys explain everything with a shrug of their shoulders and a casual brush of their hand. Nice one, boys.

- Peter

PS "Brother," you might want to curb that unsavoury arrogance of yours and open your mind to alternative possibilities. The world is not what it appears to be.

"What we see and what we seem are but a dream,
a dream within a dream."

-- Edgar Allan Poe
 Soul Union
Msg: 288
Posted: 3/17/2013 9:09:06 PM
Captain Bob discusses his once-in-a-lifetime encounter, from 5min 50secs on this documentary, if anyone is interested in hearing him speak.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpdO1RneWKA

- Peter
 Soul Union
Msg: 289
Posted: 3/18/2013 8:53:53 PM
Dr Edgar Dean Mitchell, PhD, ScD, is an American pilot and a retired Captain in the United States Navy and a NASA astronaut.

As the Lunar module pilot of Apollo 14, he spent nine hours working on the lunar surface in the Fra Mauro Highlands region, making him the sixth person to walk on the moon.

Mitchell has publicly expressed his opinions that he is "90 per cent sure that many of the thousands of unidentified flying objects, or UFOs, recorded since the 1940s, belong to visitors from other planets."

Dr Mitchell has also claimed that the Roswell crash was real and that aliens have contacted human beings several times but that governments have hidden the truth for 60 years, stating:

"I happen to be privileged enough to be in on the fact that we've been visited on this planet and that the UFO phenomenon is real."

"We are just barely out of the trees, even though we think we are sophisticated."
Dr Edgar Dean Mitchell, PhD, ScD

- Peter
 Trailsman5
Msg: 290
Posted: 3/19/2013 12:18:01 AM

Dr Edgar Dean Mitchell, PhD, ScD, is an American pilot and a retired Captain in the United States Navy and a NASA astronaut

George W. Bush was President of the United States and was also an idiot. Titles do not impress me.

Mitchell has publicly expressed his opinions that he is "90 per cent sure that many of the thousands of unidentified flying objects, or UFOs, recorded since the 1940s, belong to visitors from other planets."

Why isn't he 100% sure? Is it because his evidence is that a few nutcases told him it was true? Did he see lights in the sky and decided they seemed "alien-y"? If you make bold statements like that, give us the evidence and let us decide for ourselves. Not rumours, not innuendo, not conspiracy theories... evidence.

Dateline NBC conducted an interview with Mitchell on April 19, 1996, during which he discussed meeting with officials from three countries who claimed to have had personal encounters with extraterrestrials. He offered his opinion that the evidence for such "alien" contact was "very strong" and "classified" by governments, who were covering up visitations and the existence of alien beings' bodies in places such as Roswell, New Mexico.

Ah, once again there is good evidence but it has been hidden by the same people who couldn't keep Watergate under wraps, or diplomatic cables from reaching Wikileaks.

If Dr. Mitchell truly does believe there are alien vessels reaching Earth, how does he explain the fact that their technology always reflects the science fiction tropes of the time of the report?

http://www.o4sr.org/publications/pf_v3n4/UFOs.htm
 Albvs
Msg: 291
Posted: 3/19/2013 4:49:52 PM

I can ridicule anything, just give me a topic.

Okay: "the image in your mirror".
 Albvs
Msg: 292
Posted: 3/19/2013 4:52:03 PM

Titles do not impress me.

Yes, but apparently the status quo and 20th century physics do. You're as curious as a caveman and half as bold.
 Trailsman5
Msg: 293
Posted: 3/19/2013 11:51:22 PM

Yes, but apparently the status quo and 20th century physics do. You're as curious as a caveman and half as bold.

First of all, physics are the same no matter what century we're in. Secondly, I am VERY curious. However, the answer as to why you believe something for which there is no evidence can be found in psychology, not astronomy or physics.

Honestly, of all the BS things out there, Alien visitation is the one I kind of wish were true. Sadly, it is not and to beleive otherwise would make me no better than a 7 yr old girl hoping for a unicorn for her birthday.
 Soul Union
Msg: 294
Posted: 3/20/2013 7:07:31 PM
. . . the answer . . . can be found in psychology, not astronomy or physics. -- Trailsman5

Or how about psychiatry?

Try reading Psychiatry: The Science of Lies by Dr Stephen Szasz, Professor Emeritus of Psychiatry at the State University of New York's Upstate Medical University in Syracuse, New York. His books include Law, Liberty, and Psychiatry; The Manufacture of Madness, Ideology, and Insanity; Ceremonial Chemistry: The Myth of Psychotherapy, all published by Syracuse University Press.

A review on Amazon:

Szasz provides a fascinating, brilliantly researched look at the historic origins of psychiatry's efforts to invent a medical role for itself. Examining the letters and papers of Freud, Charcot and many other late 19th-century psychopathologists, up to the present, Szasz makes compelling arguments that psychiatry has been reassigning social nonconformity to the role of disease.

Individuals whose behaviours were once considered sinful, unconventional or otherwise unwanted, can now be forced to undergo a "cure." In its role as "doctor," psychiatry functions to exert social control and dominance over its "patients," many of whom are coerced and destroyed by what psychiatry pretends will heal them.

In a blackly humorous way, by its own standards of mental illness, psychiatry has arguably become a disease in itself. Its practitioners are marked by symptoms of grandiosity, narcissism and excessive controlling behaviours to the point of psychotic obsession and delusions of power over other lives. One suspects that beneath the grandiosity lies an essential mediocrity and an overwhelming need to reduce others to a lowest common denominator so as to assert the superiority of the psychiatrists and thus overcome their own innate insecurities at having been so ordinary. To compensate for this insecurity, they punish what is different, and plough seeds of self-doubt into the consciousness of their targets.

Psychology? Don't waste my time. When I think of the likes of drug addict Sigmund Freud, riddled with insecurities, who cheated on his wife, who admitted his 'latent homosexuality' to his colleague Wilhelm Fliess, I can think of better things to think about. Psychology, in my view, is nothing more than modern-day witchcraft.

Best wishes.

- Peter
 Albvs
Msg: 295
Posted: 3/20/2013 8:13:12 PM
However, the answer as to why you believe something for which there is no evidence can be found in psychology, not astronomy or physics.

Personally, I have no evidence that you're a guy. Should I laugh at you for believing in your willy since I have no evidence of it? No. I have no reason to doubt your belief in your own manliness merely because I have no evidence of same. There is no transitive property of belief systems.

And that's what you want to do. You don't recognize that my lifetime of experiences is greatly different from your own. You didn't work with me in the Air Force. You didn't see the things that I did. I don't expect you to accept the things that I accept, I get that. But don't think that I'm a nutter when you didn't see with your eyes the things that I saw with mine. What IS crazy is to think that everyone else on the planet has the same set of experiences that you've had. You've had no access to these places, no security clearances. So what makes you think that you're fit to make judgement on things you've not been privy to?

That's like a poor guy in Miami suggesting that hot chicks don't routinely dance without their panties in the VIP room of some club. He's never witnessed same so he can't imagine that this kind of activity happens. He laughs at anyone who suggests that they do.

The VIP room in this case is the many really interesting places the military maintains. You're the poor guy and you'll never have access to that room. So "claim" anything you want to. Until the bouncer lets you in then you'll never meet the hot chicks and you'll never know one way or the other what's what. But don't doubt the credibility or the sanity of the dude with the $300 shirt who walks past you and into the club.
 Sweeter2
Msg: 296
view profile
History
Posted: 3/20/2013 11:23:54 PM
Did you ever see the Movie 1492 Conquest of Paradise

Those Conquistadors-Spanish men were Aliens to this continent. In fact if you have non native ancestry. So are you.
Remember,in the movie. When,they took some of the natives back to Spain to show the royals who lives here. Thats historically documented alien abduction.
 fixxxer100
Msg: 297
view profile
History
Posted: 3/20/2013 11:33:13 PM
Sometimes I think the surest sign of intelligent life on other planets is that none of it has tried to contact us.
 Trailsman5
Msg: 298
Posted: 3/20/2013 11:55:47 PM
Personally, I have no evidence that you're a guy.

It is not an assertion I've mde and not the subject of this thread.

I don't expect you to accept the things that I accept, I get that. But don't think that I'm a nutter when you didn't see with your eyes the things that I saw with mine.

Oh I believe you saw some wierd stuff... possibly with the help of hallucinogens.

You've had no access to these places, no security clearances. So what makes you think that you're fit to make judgement on things you've not been privy to?

Maybe it's because I HAVE had security clearances, and worked with people with clearance much higher than my own. I can tell you that if you were the kind of guy that could be trusted with secrets, you wouldn't be blabbing them over the internet. You wouldn't make extraordinary claims without evidence, and you wouldn't ask us to believe that generations of Americans have kept evidence of this secret out of the public sphere when they couldn't keep diplomatic cables out of Wikileaks. To be honest, I can't decide which of your claims goes furthest into batsh!t territory.

That's like a poor guy in Miami suggesting that hot chicks don't routinely dance without their panties in the VIP room of some club. He's never witnessed same so he can't imagine that this kind of activity happens. He laughs at anyone who suggests that they do.

The VIP room in this case is the many really interesting places the military maintains. You're the poor guy and you'll never have access to that room. So "claim" anything you want to. Until the bouncer lets you in then you'll never meet the hot chicks and you'll never know one way or the other what's what. But don't doubt the credibility or the sanity of the dude with the $300 shirt who walks past you and into the club.

How about the dude who wears the $300 shirt to impress the girls, even though he's only there to clean the washrooms? CUZ HE'S A PHONEY!
 Rheostatic
Msg: 299
Posted: 3/21/2013 11:53:18 AM

Okay: "the image in your mirror".

You missed the part where I "pointed to my profile". Keep trying.
 whippedboi
Msg: 300
Posted: 3/21/2013 2:12:14 PM

But don't doubt the credibility or the sanity of the dude with the $300 shirt who walks past you and into the club. <

I do doubt those for the 'average" guy who blows $300 on a shirt to "impress" people (women?) for a shirt that does what a $ 20 shirt would do about as well..
and who collects old photos to 'prove' his high-level Pentagon clearance and brags about spilling top-level secrets to improve his 'status' on a (FREE) online dating site (violating confidentiality agreements out the ying-yang)

not unlike the secretaries & receptionists I see who blow at least 2 week's wages on a "Coach" or "Hermes", or "D&G" product because they are brainwashed by advertising and think they deserve to have a least ONE item of the same brand that supermodels use, that costs more than the rest of their wardrobe.. or > $1000 for a pair of Christian Loubotin shoes that are very painful & kill their feet, but impress people with the red out-soles...haha
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Why should I believe in aliens?