Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Why should I believe in aliens?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Albvs
Msg: 237
Why should I believe in aliens?Page 12 of 14    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14)

You mean, the exact same people who are supposedly lying to us about landing on the moon?

So... you didn't read Peter's post? Or... you didn't respond to it because you had no way of ridiculing it?
 Rheostatic
Msg: 238
Why should I believe in aliens?
Posted: 3/17/2013 6:17:47 PM
So... you didn't read Peter's post? Or... you didn't respond to it because you had no way of ridiculing it?

Which post, exactly? The one citing anecdotal evidence or the one citing anecdotal evidence?

I can ridicule anything, just give me a topic.

*points to profile*
 Soul Union
Msg: 239
Posted: 3/17/2013 6:20:38 PM
Sorry brother, I'm going to trust science and logic over some anecdotal crap some random mental nutcase posts on a forum and nothing you could possibly say would change my mind about that. --- Petraeus

Science? Logic? Oh you mean those two impostors before whom the world still kneels? Ah well, each to his own.
How does science or logic explain this event?

Some time during 1996-1997, a British Airways pilot, a captain, had just come back from a flight from Glasgow to the Western Isles. He was walking along a corridor at Glasgow Airport when he decided, just for a change, to take a different route on his way to the bus to get to the hotel after the flight.

“And as I deviated,” he said thoughtfully, “I saw with the corner of my eye this friend of mine coming towards me.” He described the man as being “a colleague, someone I’ve flown with to and from the Western Isles, Shetland, Orkney, up and down and over the years. We stayed at the same hotels, we flew the same planes, et cetera, et cetera.”

The captain, “Bob,” continued: “I stopped, put my bags down, and waited for him to come over. I noticed he’d lost a lot of weight. He looked very thin. I put my hand out to shake his, but he didn’t respond, which I found a bit odd. We spoke fairly briefly, how’re you doing and all the usual rubbish that people talk, and then he [the other pilot, the ‘colleague’] said: ‘I’ve got to go now.’ So I said: ‘Fair enough,’ picked up my bags and legged it to catch the bus to get back into town.

“Next day I’m in the pub, where we all meet, and a friend of mine taps me on the shoulder. ‘Just a minute,’ he said. The friend then goes to the paper rack, brings back The Scotsman, opens it to the Obituaries, and points to a particular passing. And to my absolute astonishment, it’s the same person I was talking to the day before.”

As a life-long student of non-verbal language, I have watched Captain Bob many times on the DVD I have at home. It is one of a set of documentaries about strange occurrences across the world. I have studied the pilot’s non-verbal language repeatedly, and I am convinced he is telling the truth. He continues:

“Now, if you want to call me a nut, you can call me a nut, but I can assure you that, as an ex-airline pilot, ex-fighter pilot, ex-naval officer, I don’t . . . [he hesitated and groped for an appropriate word] I don’t make up these silly stories.”

It transpired that the other pilot had died unexpectedly, at a fairly young age, and had lost a lot of weight. It was eight months since Captain Bob had last seen the man before talking to him at the airport.

Captain Bob had nothing to gain -- not one iota of profit of any kind -- by going public with this encounter. In fact, he had everything to lose.

Scottish astronomer and psychic investigator, the late Professor Archie Roy, Professor Emeritus at Glasgow University, Fellow of the Royal Society of Edinburgh, past President of the Society of Psychical Research who conducted research in astrodynamics, celestial mechanics, archaeoastronomy, psychical research, and neural networks, took up the case and he, too, was convinced of the pilot’s sincerity. He mentioned the case in many of his lectures, adding: “This encounter has made a tremendous difference to the life of the pilot and to how he sees the world around him.” Apparently the incident had a profound effect on Captain Bob.

Nah, you can’t beat Science and Logic. These two guys explain everything with a shrug of their shoulders and a casual brush of their hand. Nice one, boys.

- Peter

PS "Brother," you might want to curb that unsavoury arrogance of yours and open your mind to alternative possibilities. The world is not what it appears to be.

"What we see and what we seem are but a dream,
a dream within a dream."

-- Edgar Allan Poe
 Soul Union
Msg: 240
Posted: 3/17/2013 9:09:06 PM
Captain Bob discusses his once-in-a-lifetime encounter, from 5min 50secs on this documentary, if anyone is interested in hearing him speak.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpdO1RneWKA

- Peter
 Soul Union
Msg: 241
Posted: 3/18/2013 8:53:53 PM
Dr Edgar Dean Mitchell, PhD, ScD, is an American pilot and a retired Captain in the United States Navy and a NASA astronaut.

As the Lunar module pilot of Apollo 14, he spent nine hours working on the lunar surface in the Fra Mauro Highlands region, making him the sixth person to walk on the moon.

Mitchell has publicly expressed his opinions that he is "90 per cent sure that many of the thousands of unidentified flying objects, or UFOs, recorded since the 1940s, belong to visitors from other planets."

Dr Mitchell has also claimed that the Roswell crash was real and that aliens have contacted human beings several times but that governments have hidden the truth for 60 years, stating:

"I happen to be privileged enough to be in on the fact that we've been visited on this planet and that the UFO phenomenon is real."

"We are just barely out of the trees, even though we think we are sophisticated."
Dr Edgar Dean Mitchell, PhD, ScD

- Peter
 Albvs
Msg: 242
Posted: 3/19/2013 4:49:52 PM

I can ridicule anything, just give me a topic.

Okay: "the image in your mirror".
 Albvs
Msg: 243
Posted: 3/19/2013 4:52:03 PM

Titles do not impress me.

Yes, but apparently the status quo and 20th century physics do. You're as curious as a caveman and half as bold.
 Soul Union
Msg: 244
Posted: 3/20/2013 7:07:31 PM
. . . the answer . . . can be found in psychology, not astronomy or physics. -- Trailsman5

Or how about psychiatry?

Try reading Psychiatry: The Science of Lies by Dr Stephen Szasz, Professor Emeritus of Psychiatry at the State University of New York's Upstate Medical University in Syracuse, New York. His books include Law, Liberty, and Psychiatry; The Manufacture of Madness, Ideology, and Insanity; Ceremonial Chemistry: The Myth of Psychotherapy, all published by Syracuse University Press.

A review on Amazon:

Szasz provides a fascinating, brilliantly researched look at the historic origins of psychiatry's efforts to invent a medical role for itself. Examining the letters and papers of Freud, Charcot and many other late 19th-century psychopathologists, up to the present, Szasz makes compelling arguments that psychiatry has been reassigning social nonconformity to the role of disease.

Individuals whose behaviours were once considered sinful, unconventional or otherwise unwanted, can now be forced to undergo a "cure." In its role as "doctor," psychiatry functions to exert social control and dominance over its "patients," many of whom are coerced and destroyed by what psychiatry pretends will heal them.

In a blackly humorous way, by its own standards of mental illness, psychiatry has arguably become a disease in itself. Its practitioners are marked by symptoms of grandiosity, narcissism and excessive controlling behaviours to the point of psychotic obsession and delusions of power over other lives. One suspects that beneath the grandiosity lies an essential mediocrity and an overwhelming need to reduce others to a lowest common denominator so as to assert the superiority of the psychiatrists and thus overcome their own innate insecurities at having been so ordinary. To compensate for this insecurity, they punish what is different, and plough seeds of self-doubt into the consciousness of their targets.

Psychology? Don't waste my time. When I think of the likes of drug addict Sigmund Freud, riddled with insecurities, who cheated on his wife, who admitted his 'latent homosexuality' to his colleague Wilhelm Fliess, I can think of better things to think about. Psychology, in my view, is nothing more than modern-day witchcraft.

Best wishes.

- Peter
 Albvs
Msg: 245
Posted: 3/20/2013 8:13:12 PM
However, the answer as to why you believe something for which there is no evidence can be found in psychology, not astronomy or physics.

Personally, I have no evidence that you're a guy. Should I laugh at you for believing in your willy since I have no evidence of it? No. I have no reason to doubt your belief in your own manliness merely because I have no evidence of same. There is no transitive property of belief systems.

And that's what you want to do. You don't recognize that my lifetime of experiences is greatly different from your own. You didn't work with me in the Air Force. You didn't see the things that I did. I don't expect you to accept the things that I accept, I get that. But don't think that I'm a nutter when you didn't see with your eyes the things that I saw with mine. What IS crazy is to think that everyone else on the planet has the same set of experiences that you've had. You've had no access to these places, no security clearances. So what makes you think that you're fit to make judgement on things you've not been privy to?

That's like a poor guy in Miami suggesting that hot chicks don't routinely dance without their panties in the VIP room of some club. He's never witnessed same so he can't imagine that this kind of activity happens. He laughs at anyone who suggests that they do.

The VIP room in this case is the many really interesting places the military maintains. You're the poor guy and you'll never have access to that room. So "claim" anything you want to. Until the bouncer lets you in then you'll never meet the hot chicks and you'll never know one way or the other what's what. But don't doubt the credibility or the sanity of the dude with the $300 shirt who walks past you and into the club.
 Rheostatic
Msg: 246
Posted: 3/21/2013 11:53:18 AM

Okay: "the image in your mirror".

You missed the part where I "pointed to my profile". Keep trying.
 whippedboi
Msg: 247
Posted: 3/21/2013 2:12:14 PM

But don't doubt the credibility or the sanity of the dude with the $300 shirt who walks past you and into the club. <

I do doubt those for the 'average" guy who blows $300 on a shirt to "impress" people (women?) for a shirt that does what a $ 20 shirt would do about as well..
and who collects old photos to 'prove' his high-level Pentagon clearance and brags about spilling top-level secrets to improve his 'status' on a (FREE) online dating site (violating confidentiality agreements out the ying-yang)

not unlike the secretaries & receptionists I see who blow at least 2 week's wages on a "Coach" or "Hermes", or "D&G" product because they are brainwashed by advertising and think they deserve to have a least ONE item of the same brand that supermodels use, that costs more than the rest of their wardrobe.. or > $1000 for a pair of Christian Loubotin shoes that are very painful & kill their feet, but impress people with the red out-soles...haha
 looking4her2335
Msg: 248
Posted: 3/21/2013 2:31:03 PM

Psychology? Don't waste my time. When I think of the likes of drug addict Sigmund Freud, riddled with insecurities, who cheated on his wife, who admitted his 'latent homosexuality' to his colleague Wilhelm Fliess, I can think of better things to think about.

Tee hee hee.

I'm confused as to how him possibly being a homosexual, or a drug addict, or a cheater has any bearing on the theories or ideas he put forward. Whether they are right or wrong, how does him possibly being gay have any bearing? If he cheated on his wife, does that have anything to do with the validity of his claims?

Not to stray too far from the far fetched claims of nefarious alien control, but do you have a problem with Psychology or Psychiatry?
 whippedboi
Msg: 249
Posted: 3/21/2013 2:35:21 PM
^^

Freud was a drug addict precisely BECAUSE he was abducted and brainwashed by aliens, and needed a little sumpin' sumpin' to cope with the experience of being anally probed while flying at Warp 89 (89 times the speed of light) around the known Universe
\
well scratch that, everyone knows that Freud was an alien invader himself., I can point you to several high-level witnesses who said so.

"yes, of course Frued was an alien" - Joseph M. Bloggs, MD, DSC, OBE
 Albvs
Msg: 250
Posted: 3/21/2013 7:18:23 PM

It is not an assertion I've mde and not the subject of this thread.

Actually, you asserted it by the selection of your username.

Oh I believe you saw some wierd stuff... possibly with the help of hallucinogens.

And by "hallucinogens" I'll take that to mean "security clearances". I'm glad we're finally on the same page.

Maybe it's because I HAVE had security clearances,

If I were you I'd start chanting "extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof" with my fingertips stuck in my ears. But fortunately, I'm not you.

How about the dude who wears the $300 shirt to impress the girls, even though he's only there to clean the washrooms? CUZ HE'S A PHONEY!

Dudes who clean washrooms don't wear Ermenegildo Zegna or so I'd guess.

It boils down to this, you were never invited into places where you'd see anything interesting. It's the story of the sour grapes by Aesop. You'd rather just deny everything rather than to admit that nobody wanted you to know.
 Albvs
Msg: 251
Posted: 3/21/2013 7:21:14 PM

Nice rant, but you pretty much just admitted you are clueless. Being a 45yr old nutcase posting on forums DOESN'T make you an air force pilot, nasa commander, cia black ops or whatever your fancy of the day is.

WE can tell when people are bullshitting on forums, and you sir have been IDENTIFIED.

I already offered a redacted copy of my DD-214 but maybe you were sleeping during that portion of the thread.

And your credentials and experience are...? Oh that's right, nothing. But it takes no credentials to be a critic or naysayer, right?
 Soul Union
Msg: 252
Posted: 3/21/2013 10:03:16 PM
As an astrologer of 30 years' experience, someone who has read literally hundreds of books on the subject, from the basic to the most advanced, including the works of early astrologers, like John Dee, Cornelius Agrippa, and William Lilly, all the way up to contemporary astrologers, like the American master Noel Tyl, I can say with some confidence that something 'big' is about to occur.

I feel, from what I see in my research, that something that has been in the collective groove for many years, something we have taken for granted, is about to fall off the turntable. It won't be accidental. It will be by design, by consent.

I keep getting something to do with a royal family, probably the British Royal Family. I am inclined to say, although I shouldn't stick my neck out so specifically, that the Queen is about to stand down as monarch. It will be something of that magnitude and import.

“Astrology is assured of recognition from psychology, without further restrictions,
because astrology represents the summation of all the psychological knowledge of antiquity.”

Carl Gustav Jung (Swiss sage, thinker, author)

- Peter

Friday, March 22, 2013
Queenstown, New Zealand.
 whippedboi
Msg: 253
Posted: 3/22/2013 5:48:37 AM
{quote] I keep getting something to do with a royal family, probably the British Royal Family. I am inclined to say, although I shouldn't stick my neck out so specifically, that the Queen is about to stand down as monarch. It will be something of that magnitude and import.

oooh, what a wild stick-the-neck out guess

she will be 87 years old in one month (April 21) and was recently hospitalized ( March 3) for severe illness (stomach infection)

ohhh, I'm getting a "tingling"-- a sensation, feeling that MAYBE (but I don't want to stick my neck out)

an 87 -year old sick woman MIGHT step down after 60 years as Queen.. she has already lived longer than the average person of her generation
 whippedboi
Msg: 254
Posted: 3/22/2013 5:50:39 AM

I keep getting something to do with a royal family, probably the British Royal Family. I am inclined to say, although I shouldn't stick my neck out so specifically, that the Queen is about to stand down as monarch. It will be something of that magnitude and import.

oooh, what a wild stick-the-neck out guess

she will be 87 years old in one month (April 21) and was recently hospitalized ( March 3) for severe illness (stomach infection)

ohhh, I'm getting a "tingling"-- a sensation, feeling that MAYBE (but I don't want to stick my neck out)

an 87 -year old sick woman MIGHT step down after 60 years as Queen.. she has already lived longer than the average person of her generation
 jed456
Msg: 255
view profile
History
Posted: 3/27/2013 9:42:28 AM

"There were giants in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare children to them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown."

[Genesis 6:4]

The Cardiff Giant, 1869

The Cardiff Giant on display in the Farmer's Museum, Cooperstown, New York.
The Cardiff Giant, a gigantic ten-foot tall stone man, emerged out of the ground and into American life on October 16, 1869, when he was discovered by some workers digging a well behind the barn of William C. "Stub" Newell in Cardiff, New York. Word of his presence quickly spread, and soon thousands of people were making the journey out to Stub Newell's farm to see the colossus. Even when Newell began charging fifty cents a head to have a look at it, people still kept coming.

Speculation ran rampant over what the giant might be. The central debate was between those who thought it was a petrified man and those who believed it to be an ancient statue. The 'petrifactionists' theorized that it was one of the giants mentioned in the Bible, Genesis 6:4, where it says, "There were giants in the earth in those days." Those who promoted the statue theory followed the lead of Dr. John F. Boynton, who speculated that a Jesuit missionary had carved it sometime during the seventeenth century to impress the local indians.

A sketch of the Giant made in 1869 as it lay on display in Cardiff, New York.
The truth was somewhat more prosaic. It was actually the creation of an enterprising New York tobacconist named George Hull. The idea of burying a stone giant in the ground occurred to him after he got into an argument with a methodist Reverend about whether the Bible should be taken literally. Hull, an atheist, didn't think it should. But the Reverend disagreed. The Reverend insisted that even the passage where it says 'there were giants in the earth in those days' should be read as a literal fact. According to Hull, after this discussion he immediately "thought of making a stone, and passing it off as a petrified man." He figured he could not only use the fake giant to poke fun at Biblical literalists, but also make some money.
 whippedboi
Msg: 256
Posted: 4/2/2013 3:38:19 AM
^^

it would be more a 'play on words' , since a pun typically involves 2 words that rhyme or sound very similar, not the identical word used in the sense of another meaning..used sardonically
 whippedboi
Msg: 257
Posted: 4/2/2013 3:41:41 AM

As an astrologer of 30 years' experience, someone who has read literally hundreds of books on the subject,

as though 'astrologer' were an actual profession or academic discipline

I am a phrenologer. As a phrenologer of some years' experience, someone who has read literally hundreds of books on the subject, I can predict which posters' heads will explode in the next year based on the shape of their skulls from their profile photos.
I may also consult with my futurologist friend who divines from chicken entrails
 jed456
Msg: 258
view profile
History
Posted: 4/2/2013 7:34:04 AM

During the time when Reagan was our president, that was the age of the talk of aliens. Videos of goverment scientice working on alien bodies, but during one of his speeches when someone asked "do you believe that their is any proof of aliens" reagan reply was "Personally I don't know, but as soon as I heard about you will too" a week later he dies.

The films turned out to be a hoax Britain's Manchester Evening News (April 6, 2006) termed it a hoax that "fooled the world." Well, not exactly: Skeptical Inquirer magazine was on to the 1995 "Alien Autopsy" film from the outset. But now the reputed creator of the fake extraterrestrial corpse used for the "autopsy" has publicly confessed.

The film—purporting to depict the post mortem of an extraterrestrial who died in a UFO crash at Roswell, New Mexico, in 1947—was part of a "documentary" that aired on the Fox television network. Skeptics and many UFOlogists quickly branded the affair a hoax.

Among numerous observations, they noted that the film bore a bogus, non-military codemark, that the injuries sustained by the extraterrestrial were inconsistent with an air crash, and that the person performing the autopsy held the scissors like a tailor rather than a pathologist (who is trained to place his middle or ring finger in the bottom of the scissors hole and use his forefinger to steady the blades).

So with Reagan your saying he was murdered?
 Bloke_up_North
Msg: 259
view profile
History
Posted: 4/5/2013 1:54:34 PM

I can say with some confidence that something 'big' is about to occur.

I feel, from what I see in my research, that something that has been in the collective groove for many years, something we have taken for granted, is about to fall off the turntable. It won't be accidental. It will be by design, by consent.

- Peter
Friday, March 22, 2013
Queenstown, New Zealand.

You were nearly right Peter.
It was the pope that stood down, not the queen. You'll be able to read about it when the mailboat turns up at whichever planet you live on.
 SaltLG13
Msg: 260
Posted: 4/5/2013 6:56:10 PM

I rather believe in Aliens then in USA government & God . They both prove not do care about humanity.
But interesting comments here.
 Soul Union
Msg: 261
Posted: 4/5/2013 7:12:30 PM
You'll be able to read about it when the mailboat turns up at whichever planet you live on. --- Bloke_up_North

That would be planet Earth -- the same disease-ridden, blood-soaked, crime-infested, war-ravaged, rogue-government-controlled, poisoned and polluted trash hole of a rock that you live on.

"When a great genius appears in the world you may know him
by this sign -- that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."
-- Jonathan Swift [Thoughts on Various Subjects]

- Peter
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Why should I believe in aliens?