Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Why should I believe in aliens?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 stargazer1000
Msg: 52
Why should I believe in aliens?Page 3 of 14    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14)
I wonder if anyone has considered the effect that Hollywood and popular media has had on this whole UFO/alien thing? After all, if you look at old dime-store comic books, etc., you see a lot of the themes of alien abduction, experimentation, etc. They've even included imagery of aliens with big heads and big eyes, or handsome nordic features.

Then there's movies like Close Encounters.

If you think of the history of life on this planet and all the various directions it could have gone, the idea that aliens on another planet would be even remotely similar to anything we would recognize. Consider the odds of everything we're talking about taken in total

A) a species surviving to the point of being able to reach a level of space travel B) that same species chancing upon our lonely little planet at just the right time to find us C) knowing what they're seeing and understanding us as what they would consider an intelligent (i.e. like them) species and D) even taking enough of an interest and E) being able to develop enough of a translation matrix to be able to understand and communicate with the few of us they might contact.

Each point is a lengthy discussion. Hey, we have reasonably intelligent species here on Earth, depending on how you define intelligence, and yet we have no idea what they're saying to each other. How can we expect the same from E.T.?
 Jiperly
Msg: 53
Why should I believe in aliens?
Posted: 3/11/2009 9:16:43 AM
>>>Actually this statement is wrong. The government admitted to creating “Project Blue Book” who’s primary goal was to debunk UFO claims not encourage them.

Uhh, no- do you honestly think having a list of potiential Secret Jet witnesses come forward and explain what they saw would somehow be something the Government wouldn't be interested in?

And wasn't over 9/10 of the sightings in Blue Book found to be hoaxes or misunderstandings? Thats your evidence- that a vast majority of claims people make over sighting alien crafts were found to be dead wrong?

>>>For those of us with personal experience, the question has already been answered.

As I've said in other threads- you aren't appealing for evidence- you don't need evidence- you have something far greater in your mind- faith. You are creating a religion around aliens.

>>>For those who claim it is impossible to travel to other planets or galaxies, I would just like to point out that a mere couple of hundred years ago it was claimed to be impossible to travel to the moon. A couple of more hundred years ago and it was claimed the world was flat and it was impossible for humans to fly. Now lets move forward in time a couple of hundred years, or thousand years, how about a million years. Do you still think it is impossible to travel to other planets or galaxies.

I'm assuming you meant "Solar Systems" and not Galaxies, as the distance between Solar Systems is immense, and the distance between Galaxies is unimaginable.

But, nonetheless, our conclusions based on whether the world was flat, whether it was impossible to fly, and whether it was impossible to reach the moon- these conclusions were not based on any actual observations- they were done on assumptions- on faith. If something happens to our understanding of the universe that explains how we can travel the universe at such a great speed, I would gladly change my view- but not before. You claim that our previous mistakes, such as believing the world is flat, is based on our methods- the scientific one- and it wasn't. We concluded that the world is flat the same way you conclude the universe has alien life in our skies;

"Why Not?"
 god_of_rock
Msg: 54
Posted: 3/11/2009 9:31:32 AM

>If they are no aliens, it's a colossal waste of space.

as you could say the Pacific and Atlantic oceans are a colossal waste ofspace on a smaller scale, on earth?

even if there ARE aliens on some planets hundreds of light-years away from us, it is still a 'colossal waste of space'..they could have been 'placed' much closer to us ?
 shmodzilla
Msg: 55
Posted: 3/11/2009 10:12:46 AM
Who is forcing you to have to believe? I would hope that nobody really cares it is your decision. Me personally i have to believe that in who knows how long. Science is not 100 percent so even though our portion of the universe might possibly hold some age as far as we know the universe never ends. With the possibillity of near infinite number of planets the chance of there being intelligent life far overcomes there not being.
 Bluesman2008
Msg: 56
Posted: 3/11/2009 12:59:02 PM

As I said, the closed minded and narrow minded will never be swayed.

This is absolutely true which is why trying is a fools errand. Ten years ago, one would say it's impossible to regrow a severed finger. Now it's been done. Who knew :). I wonder how the skeptics would react if they saw a UFO craft and saw ETs up close and personal. Would they assume they were being delusional or would they wet their pants and become believers.

f you think of the history of life on this planet and all the various directions it could have gone, the idea that aliens on another planet would be even remotely similar to anything we would recognize. Consider the odds of everything we're talking about taken in total

Why would anyone assume that the only kind of ET life would have to be anything even remotely like humanoid? I've many people say life couldn't exist on other planets because there's no oxygen, or no water, or no McDonalds. What kind of arrogance makes assumptions like that? That the ONLY kind of life that could exist, if it exists, looks acts, sounds, thinks exactly like us? Good grief.

The government admitted to creating “Project Blue Book” who’s primary goal was to debunk UFO claims not encourage them.

As was the Condon report. But then again, anyone who has studied the subject knows just how intellectually dishonest that one was LOL.

And wasn't over 9/10 of the sightings in Blue Book found to be hoaxes or misunderstandings? Thats your evidence-

No. The 1/10 that weren't hoaxes. THAT is the evidence. You really don't know what the hell you're talking about.

But as to the OP, no one really cares whether you believe it or not. No one.
 greg8001
Msg: 57
Posted: 3/12/2009 5:44:44 AM
"Each point is a lengthy discussion. Hey, we have reasonably intelligent species here on Earth, depending on how you define intelligence, and yet we have no idea what they're saying to each other. How can we expect the same from E.T.?"

I would tend to agree it is only a very remote possibility we could expect a direct encounter with an alien being, given the distances between stars and also the apparent immutability of the finite speed of light. I think though it is not too unreasonable to guess (as some astronomers such as Frank Drake have argued) that if an alien civilisation reached a certain level of development, they may well have radio technology. An advanced alien civilisation should be conversant with science and hence physics, and some mutual understanding should be possible based at least on radio transmissions encoding basic scientific principles any advanced civilisation should know. There are of course very many unknowns and advanced aliens may well be as far ahead of us as we are (in technological terms) ahead of other species here on Earth, and may well be concerned with things very far removed from what matters to humanity.

I think the best chance we have for finding life is to find planets similar to Earth with advanced space telescopes and then send interstellar probes to investigate select Earth-like worlds for life. In a couple of centuries the technology will probably be developed far enough to allow spacecraft to at least reach a small fraction of the speed of light, and detection methods should become far more powerful to the point properties of extrasolar Earth-like planets can be much better understood than today. We should probably find out in the next few centuries if we are alone, at least in this galaxy.
 Poly_Hymnia
Msg: 58
Posted: 3/24/2009 2:27:57 PM

The universe is a pretty big place, with millions of stars and planets. If they are no aliens, it's a colossal waste of space

That said it right there for me. Pretty much what I was going to respond with. There are galaxies and planets that we will never reach in our lifetime. To say that we're the only form of intelligent life is pretty ignorant in my books.
 Jiperly
Msg: 59
Posted: 3/24/2009 5:12:00 PM
>>>To say that we're the only form of intelligent life is pretty ignorant in my books.

Huh?

Why? To say that the universe MUST have a meaning, and MUST be teeming with life- why is that somehow an action one must take to not be ignorant?

The Solar System is huge, and most of it is a colossal waste of space, completely empty- is it ignorant to accept this fact? Even the parts of our solar system that have landmasses- planets and astroids- there area with life on it is the vast majority- compared to Jupiter alone, its volume can fit 1,317 Earths, and 318 times as massive, with its diameter fitting 11 earths- is it ignorant to think that it is devoid of life, because it is really, really big? And thats just one planet, in one solar system- you wish to make decrees over the entire Galatic body, without so much as a shread of evidence- just that the universe must have a meaning, because it must.

The universe has nothing to justify itself to you, and ironically its incredibly ignorant to say its ignorant to not accept there is life in the universe because its a waste of space.
 stargazer1000
Msg: 60
Posted: 3/25/2009 1:29:47 PM

Basically what you and scientists are saying is that the force of gravity is infinite , but the propogation of gravity is roughly the same as the speed of light.

First of all, gravity isn't so much of a "force" in Newtonian terms. That was one of the first findings of General Relativity. It is a consequence of mass existing in spacetime, bending spacetime around it. We aren't so much held down by gravity as we follow the natural bending of spacetime around the mass of Earth.

For that reason, gravity is proportional to the mass of an object. The sun has more mass so it curves spacetime more than Earth and Earth is more massive so it definitely curves spacetime more than you or I do. In fact, during an eclipse in the early part of the last century, astronomers were able to observe that a star behind the sun was "displaced" by its presence. The effects of Jupiter's gravity on spaceprobe signals has also been observed for the same reason. The light of the star and the signal from the probe were forced to travel a longer path than they would have otherwise.

Finally, the speed of light restriction is on everything in this universe including gravity. As a result, you can get gravity "waves" or waves of spacetime propogating outwards from particular events like supernovae. That's why two massive, rapidly rotating objects such as binary pulsars have actually been observed to be "spinning down" faster than simple Newtonian mechanics can account for. Detection of these is why they've built the Large Interferometric Gravity-wave Observatory (LIGO).

As for the gravity of a blackhole, you are talking about the concentration of matter (and, thus, gravity) into an incredibly small point, such that even light cannot escape.
 Phoebus2k9
Msg: 61
Posted: 3/26/2009 8:12:24 AM
Check this out....UFO already been to the white house lol....

http://www.informantnews.com/brief/dc52flap.html
 Beaugrand®™©
Msg: 62
view profile
History
Why shouldn't I believe in aliens?
Posted: 3/26/2009 2:16:30 PM
While I don't think that "belief" in extraterrestrial life is mandatory, it seems logical and rational to assume that there likely is life elsewhere, if we also assume, as science apparently does, that life on Earth was and is a happy accident (happy for us, that is). So for those who don't believe life was created by some deity, it's perfectly rational to assume life exists wherever it can gain a foothold- as persistent as mold on bread, life may infest whatever and wherever it can.
Extrapolating from that assumption, one might assume that ever more complex creatures might evolve over time wherever life has infested planets or other suitable "loaves of bread," and that intelligence might become a suitable survival trait on many of such infested "loaves."
We can further infer that suitable technologies may be devised by such intelligences, and that eventually we may, through some artificially-devised process, communicate with other such "beings," for the purpose of- I don't know, validating our own existence...?

With respect to interstellar travel, I can't see that as ever being an activity undertaken as casually as a trip to the Grand Canyon, for example, as, apparently, many "believers" in "UFOs"* do.
(*The term "UFO," for "Unidentified Flying Object" would, therefore, be inappropriate. An interstellar spacecraft inhabited by extraterrestrial beings would be an "Identified Flying Object, or "IFO"- or, more accurately, an "ISI," for "Interstellar Spacecraft, Inhabited," and a drone or robot craft would be an "ISU" for "Interstellar Spacecraft, Uninhabited." Don't get me started on Cylons.)

I think it's interesting that Cylons believe in God, while many astronomers don't. I personally don't believe in Cylons, but I'm willing to let a Six or an Eight try to persuade me otherwise.
 Soul Union
Msg: 63
Posted: 3/26/2009 6:46:34 PM

The universe is a pretty big place, with millions of stars and planets. If they are no aliens, it's a colossal waste of space. - Mominatrix

I'm with Mom.

There are billions of stars and galaxies, and to think that this primitive, war-torn, blood-sodden, diseased hole of a corner of space has the only life is simply burying your head in the sand. Even ostriches have the sense not to do that.

- Peter
 Beaugrand®™©
Msg: 64
view profile
History
Posted: 3/27/2009 8:27:59 AM
What we know about life is what we have observed on Earth- that life is persistent and pervasive. Living things exist from Antarctica to the Arctic, from the bottom of the Marianas Trench to the stratosphere, in boiling water in undersea vents and in volcanic calderas, in the coldest places on Earth. Some bacteria thrive in the complete lack of oxygen; it seems the only thing absolutely required for some kind of life to exist is liquid water. That really enhances the chances for life to exist elsewhere.
From all the examples we have knowledge of- Planet Earth- life arises spontaneously in the presence of water and organic compounds. From that example I think we can reasonably assume that life is not the exception, but rather the rule.
I think that's not necessarily a good thing. We would have no immunity to ET diseases, and if we ever become an interstellar spacefaring race, that's likely to be more a hazard to us than Klingon battle cruisers or Cylon base stars.
 yna6
Msg: 65
Posted: 3/27/2009 7:46:10 PM
I think we can all agree that the universe is a huge place....with millions of stars and billions of planets. The thing that would scare the crap out of me is finding out that we ARE totally alone here.
Then again...perhaps the "creator" (name it what you will, or not....) was serious when he/she said "Go forth and multiply and fill the earth and the heavens..." Talk about a long term goal....
There has been plenty of documented UFO sightings....go check 'utoob' or whatever...plenty of them there.
So, where do all these reports and pictures come from? It will only be a matter of time before we start getting photos what with everyone running around with cellphone cams and such. Within 5 years we'll be seeing more "oddities" showing up...from Loch Ness to Bigfoot to aliens.
 Beaugrand®™©
Msg: 66
view profile
History
Posted: 3/27/2009 8:53:55 PM

Yes , life seems to be very tenacious but first it has to get started which is really the crux of the matter. It only takes one spark to light a barrel of gasoline on fire and it won't be easy to extinguish. No spark means no fire though.
The "primordial soup" experiment in 1953 used simulated lightning to synthesize (create) amino acids from methane. That's your "spark," literally.

From 1995-

http://www.accessexcellence.org/WN/SUA02/primordial_soup.php

LA JOLLA- In a simulation of the days when the Earth was covered in primordial ooze, researchers at the University of California, San Diego have synthesized pantetheine, an ingredient considered essential for the development of life on the planet.

The nature of the origin of life remains one of the most intriguing questions in biology. Researchers at the University of California, San Diego's Specialized Center of Research and Training in Exobiology are approaching the question by simulating environmental conditions as they are thought to have existed in "prebiotic" times. The researchers are studying the abiotic synthesis of biomolecules to determine which ones could have been present on Earth before life arose and, thus, may have been important to the first living organisms.

The UCSD research team is led by Dr. Stanley Miller. Dr. Miller is well known for his 'primordial soup' experiment conducted in 1953. At that time he demonstrated that amino acids could be formed by passing an electric current through a flask of methane. This suggested that life could have arisen from materials and conditions present in early Earth history.

Dr. Miller believes many other chemicals in addition to amino acids would have to have been present to facilitate the transition to living organisms. In particular, the presence of pantetheine could have enhanced the transition process. Pantetheine is related to coenzyme A, an essential component for protein formation. Coenzyme A is used by every known organism to assist in a wide variety of chemical reactions and it is possible that in the very earliest organisms this role was played by pantetheine alone, notes Miller.

In their recent experiment, the UCSD scientists heated a mixture of pantoyl lactone, beta- alanine and cysteamine at 40 degrees C (105 degrees F). All three chemicals are believed to have been present on the early Earth. Among the other chemicals formed was pantetheine. This suggests pantetheine could have been created at the margins of evaporating pools of water in prebiotic times.

"These components are extremely soluble and so would have been preferentially concentrated in evaporating bodies of water, for example on beaches and at lagoon margins. Our results show that amide bonds can be formed at temperatures as low as 40 degrees C, and provide circumstantial support for the suggestion that pantetheine and coenzyme A were important in the earliest metabolic systems," noted Miller.

There are two main hypotheses regarding the prebiotic synthesis of coenzymes. One, the "RNA world" hypothesis, holds that coenzymes were part of the covalent structure of RNA, and assisted in the RNA-based metabolism. Another hypothesis suggests that the RNA world was preceded by a thioester world. According to that hypothesis, coenzyme A played an essential role in the activation of amino acids and hydroxy acids in peptide synthesis.

The research provides evidence for the presence of an important ingredient in the original soup of life. It has been demonstrated that amino acids can form abiotically in a number of ways and are used by modern organisms for the manufacture of proteins. Sugars, however, which are components of modern genetic materials such as DNA or RNA are thought to be too unstable to have been widespread on Earth before life arose. Another of the remaining "big questions" is how and when did non-living molecules turn into life forms and begin to make copies of themselves.
Yes, I really do think life is every bit as common and as persistent as bread mold.
 stargazer1000
Msg: 67
Posted: 3/28/2009 5:46:53 AM
funcuz, while I can't entirely disagree with your logic, I think it's important to point out that you've missed a factor, namely the availability of precursors for the development of life. Specifically, radio astronomers have discovered all manner of precursor chemicals including sugars, etc. They have also been found on meteorites.

Given what is known about planetary formation around stars - not necessarily sunlike but all kinds - and it's not hard to imagine a rocky world or even a moon of a gas giant that "wandered" into its life zone developing life.

Of course, the greatest probability is for the simplest of life forms. Hell, it took 4 billion years before the Cambrian explosion. However, time really is on the universe's side.

Sadly, I think you're right about the likelihood of intelligent lifeforms finding each other. Sure, it's probably happened somewhere in the universe that two nearby civilizations have discovered each other. Just not here. And I am HIGHLY skeptical of them buzzing around our atmosphere stuffing probes up our poopers.
 Beaugrand®™©
Msg: 68
view profile
History
Posted: 3/28/2009 12:55:07 PM
Okay, let's look at this from a strictly financial point of view.
Someone mentioned Australia. Well, I can visit Australia- I mean, the infrastructure exists, I can book a flight (or a cruise) there, and the cost is within my budget, if i don't buy groceries next month- uh, make that 3 months. I think the travel cost would be something like 10-20 cents a mile, so, on a cost-per-mile basis, a trip to Australia is no more expensive for me than a trip to the Grand Canyon.
Now let's compare a trip to Luna (aka "the Moon"). The cost-per-mile is actually a lot more expensive, but let's say we can do it for 20 cents a mile- that's about $95,000 for a round trip. I'll need to pick up a few sample rocks to sell on eBay to pay for the trip; that works until the market is flooded with tourist "Moon Rocks." I don't think ET is funding his Earth vacation selling cow kidneys on the ET eBay franchise.
Now, let's say that there is an interesting little inhabited planet reasonably close- say, 10 light years. Let's say GM has finally seen the light and has begun manufacturing personal starships (sort of like interstellar RVs) at affordable prices, using some of that Area 51 tech the government has been hoarding. Keeping the 20 cents per mile cost, figuring the round trip cost for 10 light years is- about 11 Trillion dollars? (Feel free to check the math, I did that in a hurry, it looks cheap to me).

Yeah, they need to be getting MUCH better mileage than my Buick.

Actually, I can see this turned into a sitcom- oh wait, they did that in the 60s with "Zorro" and "Timmy's Mom"- "Lost in Space..."
 REDDRAGON.
Msg: 69
Posted: 3/29/2009 12:42:41 AM

>>>If they are no aliens, it's a colossal waste of space.

Ah, but the Universe doesn't need to justify its existence- it merely is, and its through observing the universe that real answers will be found.

>>>The universe is so old we may not even exist within the same window of opportunity to interact

Don't forget- while the universe is ancient, it is always changing- the number of stars can quickly become irrelevant the moment you remember that, after a point, the system could become cold and dark, or be completely annihilated. Some solar systems cannot support life because they simply do not have the materials- others could be too harsh, too hot, too cold, too gaseous, too rocky, ect- Life is given a very brief moment in Galactic time to appear, and it could just as quickly be extinguished

>>> please prove to me and every one else here that they don't exist???
 FrogO_Oeyes
Msg: 70
view profile
History
Posted: 3/29/2009 2:05:35 AM

>>> please prove to me and every one else here that they don't exist???

Not required, and fallacious reasoning. Since there's no tangible evidence for their existence, and no circumstances which require their existence as an explanation, there's nothing to disprove.

The claims of tangible evidence have alternate viable explanations [or are simply false]. Most "evidence" is non-tangible and unsubstantiable anecdotes. The bulk of the rest is circular reasoning [aliens explains the lights in the sky; lights in the sky prove there are aliens].
 Beaugrand®™©
Msg: 71
view profile
History
Posted: 3/29/2009 10:52:36 AM
If there is no other life in the Universe- or no other life we could interact with in any reasonable timeframe- then that means the Universe is ours for the taking, and that all the wealth that exists out there is ours to use and enjoy. There are no rules but the ones we set for ourselves, and no one else we have to share with. That means we can strip-mine Luna ("the Moon"), terraform Mars to our liking, sequestrate the atmosphere of Venus and rearrange the Moons of Jupiter as we please, as the technologies to do these things become available. More to the point, it now becomes economically viable to develop them.
It should be possible to ravage the surface of Luna for whatever minerals we need, refining ore with solar energy. From Luna we can launch interplanetary expeditions to other planets, exploiting them as we desire, all the while enriching we humans, who have no competition anywhere in the Universe.
It's Manifest Destiny that we should own and rule the stars, because no one is there to oppose us.

HOWEVER-

We may wish to tread more lightly if we're not alone.
 Poly_Hymnia
Msg: 72
Posted: 3/29/2009 11:57:08 AM
You know, this question has been asked time and time again in these forums. The thing I have learned, is either you believe or you don't. You can't convince a non-believer. What's important, is the non-believers, voice your opinions but have respect for those that DO believe.

Arguing with a non-believer is like yelling at the sky. Pointless and a waste of energy.
 desertrhino
Msg: 73
view profile
History
Posted: 3/29/2009 12:05:59 PM

Arguing with a non-believer is like yelling at the sky. Pointless and a waste of energy.

There's no arguing required. All you have to do is produce some verifiable, even-vaguely-convincing evidence. If' that's "pointless and a waste of time" to you, then we know where the problem lies.
 FrogO_Oeyes
Msg: 74
view profile
History
Posted: 3/29/2009 12:32:27 PM
Science never showed that the Earth was flat. In fact, it showed the opposite, over 2000 years ago.

The scientific method is the only objective method of providing explanations which work. Explanations achieved through this method can be verified by anyone, because the methods, materials, conclusions, and logic are all laid out for anyone to examine and repeat. It's not feasible for any one person to verify even a tiny fraction of all science, so it's a given that it will usually be taken "on faith". However, because scientific conclusions are designed to be consistent and predictable, a single false claim can easily be discovered when 1000 more studies fail.

The first conclusion becomes an assumption for many things to follow. If the assumption is wrong, the results won't go as expected. If a manufacturer claims a shelf will hold 1000 kilograms [a scientific claim based on knowledge of the properties of the materials, and their shapes and structures], and you later create an experiment using these shelves... If they collapse at 500 kg, you will have obvious questions:
1) did I make a mistake?
2) was this coincidence? did I repeat the experiment enough times to reasonably rule out bad luck?
3) were my initial beliefs wrong?
Those are pretty standard questions for unexpected results, so trusting in scientific conclusions isn't simply a matter of faith. It's a matter of synergistic evidence.

Some of us are actually pretty good at not only reading and understanding the science, but at understanding how many fields are interdependant.

Believing in "aliens", in the sense of sapient extraterrestrial visitors to this planet, is not supported by any evidence. Believing in extraterrestrial life of ANY sort, is supported by chemistry, physics, and astronomy. The conditions and requirements for life seem to be broad and common, and life itself would seem to be an almost inevitable result of complex chemistry.
 kevlarcardhouse
Msg: 75
Posted: 3/29/2009 12:49:23 PM

Evidence published in a journal is no different from information published on Wikipedia and your school history books, it's all created by someone else, to convince you of something you haven't a clue about, you just choose to believe the scientific side of it.

It's clear you have no idea how the scientific process works to make that claim. Any reputable science journal forces a scientist to allow others to read and scrutinize all his findings, and point out any points of contention, before he even is allowed to try and present it.

Maybe aliens exist. But I know there has been no evidence so far that they do, so until then, I don't see why I should believe in it.
 JustDukky
Msg: 76
Posted: 3/29/2009 1:35:29 PM
@ Irespire

Until extraterrestrials land on the White House lawn, I shall not believe in them.

I thought it was our extraterrestrial masters who get elected & LIVE in the White House. In any event, it's best not to believe in them!javascript:smilie('')
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Why should I believe in aliens?