Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Vancer
Msg: 15
Total darknessPage 2 of 2    (1, 2)
The tanks contain a perfect water/salt ratio that allows you to float with only your face and feet exposed (ears are under water.) The temperature is the same temperature as your body. So, there is absolutely no sensation. At first, your mind struggles to keep time/space awareness. Then, fleeting thoughts come and go. Eventually, you just let go and relax into pure consciousness. One or two sessions can result in the kind of experience that people who have meditated for years have. Plus, the huge amount of salt used in these tanks are very detoxifying and beneficial to the skin.

It was developed by the military to be used as a torture device (how nice.) What the researchers were discovering was that people who came out of it had incredible epiphanies and feelings of joy.

Last time I had a lucid dream I felt similiar to that. I wouldn't be surprised if it's like that, but a lot more potent.
I think it's better allowing most or all of the brain's components to better focus on identifying its data frequency patterns and then super defragging, compressing, and indexing all of it.
It's just my lame guess though.

But after that lucid dream, the entire next day, I felt like I was 'in the zone', 'in the pipe' or 'in the flow'.
There's a lot of different terms for how it felt.
 Leeanne
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Total darkness
Posted: 11/1/2008 6:35:12 AM
I have never experienced it - to my knowledge! I say that because of the following..... I don't think I could handle it because I am claustrophobic. I simply think I would experience what english lass describes -

there was nothing, just black stillness, almost suffocating

it was quite frightening and discombobulating...kinda like being underwater and confused as to what was up and down, but without the aid of air bubbles...
 chrono1985
Msg: 17
Total darkness
Posted: 11/2/2008 3:30:51 AM

Last time I had a lucid dream I felt similiar to that. I wouldn't be surprised if it's like that, but a lot more potent.

I've been through sensory deprivation before, and a lot of lucid dreams (separately). It's nothing like, but the degree of unadulterated freedom you feel is the same, both are very very powerful experiences that I think everyone who wants to gain a better understanding of what reality actually is should experience.
 selfsong
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Total darkness
Posted: 11/2/2008 7:41:56 AM
You might want to look up sensory deprivation box, built one in 73 and it did block most input except feeling.
 GeneralizingNow
Msg: 19
Total darkness
Posted: 11/6/2008 8:53:04 AM
I've been in one of these tanks--the smell of salt or iodine or whatever was so overwhelming that I didn't have hallaucinations or anything. It felt great though--I hate noise, and I LOVED LOVED LOVED the silence. You can still feel vibration, though, so mine was at a spa and I could feel bumps and things from them working around the tank, which also was distracting me from my total aloneness experience.
 CureCurious
Msg: 20
Total darkness
Posted: 4/4/2013 1:13:10 AM
People often think that bein blind means seeing just black.

Seeing black is still seeing something you know.

I've got an artificial glass eye, so no nerves are attached to an organic eyeball. I sense nothing, not even blackness from that side of my face.

I was acually wondering how cool it would be if someone designed a video game with absolutely NO graphics. I mean, usually, most games these days are complimented and reviewed based on the GUI, and 3D animation or realness' etc. Imagine a video game which had a blank screen or no screen... and you had to use other senses like sound, smell, touch, n possibly taste too. :)
Total darkness
Posted: 4/5/2013 6:32:29 AM
When I've experienced total darkness is when I experienced my ability to see a little bit into the infra-red, night vision, which all humans have, on average (if you get enough vitamin A/beta-carotene - all red, orange, and yellow vegetables and fruits). That was more cool than the total darkness.
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  >