Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > What do "you" consider social drinking??      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 cowtrucker
Msg: 51
view profile
History
What do you consider social drinking??Page 3 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
To me 'social' drinking is just that... Socially... Now that can vary as well. Take me for example. I might go to the bar once every 4-6 months, and usually the only time I'll drink, is when I'm out at the bar with my friends, and I have 1-2 beers.

Otherwise, when I'm home, I very rarely drink. Maybe 1 glass of wine at home with a good supper, every 2-3 months, or if I remember to buy some...

To some others, drinking socially is an every night occurance. Some people live a life where they go out and frequent bars, tailgate parties, or other types of social gathering where there is alcohol.

I do agree with some of the other members, that "socially" can be vague. Perhaps in the narrative if you have a problem with someone who drinks very little, or a lot, you can state that, so you won't be misled...

CowTrucker
Chapman, Kansas
 Diva77
Msg: 52
What do you consider social drinking??
Posted: 12/8/2008 12:16:34 PM
I haven't read the other posts or responses, so sorry if this is repeating ... to me social drinking is going out with friends, having a drink or two. I'm not a heavy drinker, never really have been. My friends have learned I have a weakness for wine so they bring over a bottle when they come over for dinner or a visit. I'll have the odd glass of wine on my own if I'm composing or in a really pensive mood. I think if you are drinking more than three nights a week, that's more than a social drinker. BUT I hear having a glass of wine with your dinner isn't exactly bad for your health. It's all about moderation ...
 hbessette
Msg: 53
Posted: 12/15/2008 5:58:48 PM
There's people that drink, and people that shouldn't. And if you 'need' to have a few to 'unwind' and 'relax' then you've got bigger issues to deal with. Just sayin....
 Tuff Enuff 481
Msg: 54
Posted: 12/15/2008 6:39:11 PM
After reading through everyone's posts, I have decided to change my preference to "Prefer Not To Say." That may not be a perfect answer, either, as it may look as though I am hiding something, but I will have a drink with dinner once or twice a week, or wine with popcorn and a movie on the weekends. I do like to party it up once in a while, but that's in a social setting with a group of friends. Getting buzzed by yourself sucks!
 techgirl27
Msg: 55
view profile
History
Posted: 12/17/2008 6:02:11 PM
You can drink more than 3x a week without being drunk or "a" drunk. Some people have a glass of wine every day.

You can also be a drunk doing it less than 3x a week.

Social means in social situations. It, to me anyway, says and means very little about how often.
 DLo!
Msg: 56
view profile
History
Posted: 12/17/2008 8:41:25 PM
2 nights a week max is social drinking imo
 ticatsleafsjaysfan
Msg: 57
view profile
History
Posted: 1/10/2009 3:50:17 PM
I think social drinking is having a drink at a social event, but never drinking enough to get drunk.
 SuperFunGuy
Msg: 58
Posted: 1/10/2009 8:33:09 PM
Umm someone who likes ice cold beer!
 crystwitch1
Msg: 59
view profile
History
Posted: 1/10/2009 8:45:35 PM
LMAO... just look at all the colorful answers! I think social drinkers drink to be "social" with others. I think a few of these self proclaimed social drinkers fit better into the "binger" catagory. There is nothing social about drinking until you puke, pass-out or God forbid, wake up in a less than desirable place...much less position. I go out once or twice a month, take in a concert or other event, have a few drinks and I remember every minute. I have had occaision to overdo it though...usually, it is the Superbowl that does me in...well, what do ya know? It is almost time!
 tallshag
Msg: 60
Posted: 1/10/2009 10:29:49 PM
I interpreted the 'social' drinking selection literally, as in, do you drink alone? But I wonder how many other POFers read it that way. It's true that drinking can be a problem whether done alone or with others, but I thought drinking alone was spoken to fairly well by the George Thorogood song, "I Drink Alone."

On one hand, I agree that there ought to be more selections here when it comes to describing one's drinking...but even if there were more, their utility would still be limited to how honestly a person builds up their profile. The way a person drinks is really something you can only find out once you get to know them. So on the other hand, the drinking question could be just as well-served with "yes" or "no."
 filli1
Msg: 61
Posted: 1/11/2009 9:23:43 AM
I think it should be a yes or no question. That is the only answer that is objective; whether someone indulges too much is all a matter of opinion and to the person who overindulges, of course it is always "social" drinking.
 streetmatetbay
Msg: 62
Posted: 1/12/2009 7:16:52 AM
I think social drinking can be more than 3, 4 or even 5 times a week. But for me prsonally to consider myself a social drinker I look at the situation. I think you have to drink with people in a social setting. Social settings mean not at a bar where you can not hear yourself much less the person beside you. Secondly you have to be able to maintain composure, if you are drinking to the point of stumbling around you can't really be very social. I can't recall the last time I had a drink alone, but I would guess it was about 7 years ago, It rarely happens. And I would be lying to say I never have drinks at a bar but aside for a birthday a couple years ago I don't tend to drink to any excess. But for a while I would have dinner with people on almost a daily basis with wine. Even now if I drink it's usualy part of some board games or a social get together, or a couple rum and cokes at a bar. I would definately consider myself a social brinker because of that.
 TxBluEyes74
Msg: 63
Posted: 1/12/2009 8:51:54 AM
Well I'm a social drinker. And what mean by that, I never drink unless I'm out and about at a social gathering. I have not had any alcohol since New Year's eve. Most times I got a month or two with out alcohol, I just never been a drinker (not my thing) but I will drink at social gatherings; thus I'm a social drinker.

*~*Royal Majesty*~*
Msg: 64
Posted: 1/12/2009 10:59:06 AM
When the choice of consuming alcoholic drinks becomes an absolute necessity in order to "relax", to have fun & to "feel normal" or to get that "buzz", then there's a problem.
 Scrappinbee
Msg: 65
view profile
History
Posted: 1/12/2009 8:04:59 PM
well when I drink I only drink every once in a while and it is usually in a social setting like a party, picnic that sort of thing
 cyb0rg
Msg: 66
Posted: 1/12/2009 8:10:22 PM
getting shitfaced, getting in a fight, waking up in a gutter with jizz and piss all over myself.
 whatagirlwants9
Msg: 67
Posted: 1/12/2009 8:45:01 PM
It's like everything else that can be stretched to it's limits....
It's based on one's perception of what fits within the definition or is deemed acceptable among their peers.

To me it's an occasional , once in a great while drink or two in a social sitiaution.
 MissKittyValentine
Msg: 68
Posted: 1/12/2009 9:12:23 PM
an occasional glass of wine during the week and the weekends when you're among friend, etc.
But that doesn't equate to getting sloshed. That's just immature.
We aren't in our early 20s any longer.
 wicked smile
Msg: 69
Posted: 1/13/2009 1:09:01 AM
This is funny...

Where I live we have fun.
During the summer, it can be every night for weeks. It's very social, in fact based on our social network, which is large and multi-generational. We drink, we don't fall down, we rarely slur, we take care of each other, we have alot of fun.
Once summer is over the real drinker come to the forefront, they keep drinking, year round, pretty much daily, it's sad.

The rest of us, get together socially on occasion, we have pre-dinner****ails, wine with dinner and enjoy fine after dinner coffee drinks. Again, everyone in control, very funny and safe.

I consider this social drinking.

It's all perspective. I don't drink alone. I go weeks without a drink. Sometimes I drink three times in a week; a dinner, watching the game with friends, our bi-weekly "Sweet Thursday" community social.

I think it comes down to three things: do you have to drink? can you have just a couple drinks if that what the social occasion calls for? do you have to get loaded to have a good time?
 i like cats
Msg: 70
Posted: 1/13/2009 2:23:05 AM
It doesn't matter because there are as many definitions of "social drinking" as there are people. It can be twisted and turned into all contexts. It's too subjective of a descriptor for a site like this.
Rationalized to avoid the "Often" (POFs meaning >3 times per week)....etc..etc...

What really matters are the consequences of one's drinking and how a drink impacts their life.
 wicked smile
Msg: 71
Posted: 1/13/2009 11:56:36 AM
Exactly, I like cats...

Great call. If drinking is a major factor in your life, instead of something you do in certain "social situations". Take note.

One of the main considerations in A.A. is, what has drinking cost you in your life? Not just financially, but mostly in terms of relationships...
 compleat_man
Msg: 72
Posted: 1/15/2009 9:37:07 AM
yeah, well, hard-core alcoholics often press friends & acquaintances into drinking with them..

so you can't really necessarily say that 'social' drinkers have no problem, or have it under control....alkies often seek out acquaintances they KNOW will have a drink or 2 with them..

that makes them feel better at least in their own minds..have a string of 5-10 people like that so they never have to 'drink alone' and face the fact they have a problem..

Alkie: "you have one,..so that will justify ME having ten.."

always drinking with someone else (socially) is not definitive proof that you don't have an 'alcohol problem'..

occasionally drinking alone? I don't know..always or often drinking alone..would strike me as a bit scary..

bit artificial to separate 'often' and 'social' as on POF

some people drink socially--often!
 fancynanci
Msg: 73
view profile
History
Posted: 1/15/2009 11:37:08 AM
I have a glass (sometimes 2) of a good red cabernet with a meal...to me that is social drinking.
 100ideas
Msg: 74
Posted: 1/15/2009 1:44:03 PM
A case of beer (or more) a week is NOT social drinking. That's a drinking problem in my opinion. To me, social drinking is drinking at social events (but not to the point of getting drunk) or a glass of wine or a drink here and there.
Basically, if you can't live without your weekly case of beer, you have a problem.
 ml456
Msg: 75
Posted: 1/15/2009 2:09:39 PM

A case of beer (or more) a week is NOT social drinking. That's a drinking problem in my opinion.

I think this depends on a few factors. The exact beer case size, the type of beer, a person's general tolerance level etc. There is a difference between drinking a 6 pack of light beer in a week vs drinking a 24-30 pack of hard liquor in a week.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > What do "you" consider social drinking??