Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > New Profile Field.      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 compleat_man
Msg: 31
New Profile Field.Page 4 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
"Can it be multiple choice???? As in, pick more than one?"

for people with MPD??
 daynadaze
Msg: 32
view profile
History
New Profile Field.
Posted: 10/30/2008 5:31:20 PM
Oh there's no way I'm checking and changing my moods everyday. I am way to lazy too even think about having a daily mood much less posting it.
 UnzippedPassion
Msg: 33
view profile
History
New Profile Field.
Posted: 10/31/2008 6:46:01 AM
I could come up with several that are missing but IF I were limited to listing ONE instead of being about to choose as many as I wanted to (and that means that all would be displayed at the same time) ...I'd have to put
.Prefer not to say.

I believe I have several listed on my "about me" which is a perfect place anyone can describe themselves.

As for that list..I sure hope some were only written on the same line and don't actually go together.
Religious/Spiritual..yes
but
Sexy, Sweet, Agressive, Dark,
Dominant, Friendly,
Emotional, Laidback,
no way.....lol

Soooo how would it be set up? Would we have to choose one or could we pick multiple traits? (of course this is all how we feel about ourselves and not necessarily how others see us : )

Maybe it would be more fun to have a page that states our habits instead to see how well we match up with others. You know like....
night owl (don't want to miss a thing) lol
early to bed (need my beauty rest)
sleeps late (I'm a Hollywood baby)
early to rise (want to get the most out of my day)
can't start my day or function without coffee........HA!
eats healthy
loves those fast food places..(yea for Mickey D's)
exercises daily without fail
considers waking up an exercise!
etc

Now that would be fun to read...............
 YingKissesYang
Msg: 34
view profile
History
New Profile Field.
Posted: 11/7/2008 7:15:48 AM
""""If you're considering options how about adding: Trying to quit under the smoking option. Also how about adding an option for eye color""""

Good idea. But, I'm more interested in your breasts than eye color. What do you guys think?

Don't forget "Rank the Priorities" in those check boxes. If your profile says "Going to Hawaii" or "Muddin" and you've only done that once in your life, but you wrote it first, then some of us get led astray. If you rent DVD's every nite, then that might be #1 on the list compared to "sexy beach getaways".
 bucsgirl
Msg: 35
view profile
History
New Profile Field.
Posted: 11/29/2008 1:51:32 PM
C'mon, have to have an "all of the above and then some".
 GlindaTheGoodWitch
Msg: 36
view profile
History
New Profile Field.
Posted: 11/29/2008 3:54:48 PM
Maybe the person should write in their own?

I also think that the body type field could have "other" as a choice and let you explain yourself there.
 mysteriosa
Msg: 37
view profile
History
New Profile Field.
Posted: 11/29/2008 5:32:48 PM
How about having a pick-list of suggestions, like you've already given, and also give people the option to put in a phrase of their own? I know this could be risky, given what some might put there, but that's their loss.
 strollinbella
Msg: 38
New Profile Field.
Posted: 11/29/2008 6:54:17 PM
While I tend to agree with fishin15 re
the profile says it all"
, I sometimes find that a man's profile actually gives me a totally wrong first impression. For example, sometimes a man's rather inappropriate attempt at humor in his profile has left me thinking he is probably a jerk, and then I meet him at a POF function and discover that he is actually a person worth knowing.

So, truth be told, if I am reading his profile and see that he has categorized himself by using a term that doesn't appeal to me, such as overly confident or c*cky, I could be giving a quality guy a thumbs down without ever even getting to the email stage.
 tcv
Msg: 39
New Profile Field.
Posted: 12/15/2008 9:36:17 PM
I agree that MBTI is very helpful. It limits the infinity of personality-relevant adjectives enumerated in this thread to a generalized minimum number of dimensions which have strong predictive leverage on people's general types of responses to most situations.

Self-rating could be implemented through a pull-down menu with numbers -3 to +3 for each of the four dimensions of extroversion (E/I), data source (N/S), head/heart balance (T/F), and decision time (P/J), iff the description of each of the four fields is adequate. I could try to draft one for you.

A personality survey with 4-8 questions on each dimension randomized with a form-processor to count the outputs would of course be the standard MBTI approach. I haven't concocted such a survey myself, but it should be four one-hour work sessions to produce a useful draft.

I recommend you and anyone read Keirsey's book, Please Understand Me (II), if you haven't, to understand personality in general and the MBTI in particular in historical context of theories about human personality.

Those who consider MBTI useless are both ignorant of it and also ascribe to a Tabula Rasa theory of human psychology, which attests to their lack of empirical study and intellectual engagement with the problem. The answers to four binary questions lead to an enormous number of detailed, surprising, superficially unrelated predictions about personality characteristics which, in my ten years or so of doing MBTI in my head on most people I spend significant time with, have been uncannily accurate. Browse chapters in Keirsey and you'll see the type of predictions I mean.

The right way to understand the dimensions is as continua; people can be balanced between the poles, or more or less extreme. If you're in the middle on all, then the MBTI system doesn't predict much about you. But a large majority of people seem to be clearly in some particular type.

Self-consistency is high, too. Re-take the test after months or years and usually results are very similar. So the characteristics being detected are long-term.

Most important according to Keirsey, and I agree with him based on my own experience of thinking about people that I have met, is the decision tree asking first about data source (N/S) then if N (data source is more internal) asking about the head/heart dimension (T for head/F for heart) but if S (data source is external), asking about preferred decision time (P for later/J for already). Two questions for any given person usually identifies them in one of four primary types, SJ Guardians, SP Artisans, NT Rationals, and NF Idealists (Keirsey's terms). It's usually pretty easy to figure this much out, and it tells you most of what you need to know about a person to predict generally how they will interact and see the world. The final two questions for any person flesh out the picture, but the first two are really enough to get the basic world-view of the person.

Actually the most important is the data source dimension. N is 20-25% of the population, and they are truly relationship-incompatible with the majority that are S; they live in different worlds (the inner world of idea and intuition, versus the outer world of reality). A dating service that doesn't try to tease out that primary dimension in its users is putting incompatibles together; a disservice.

A NLP system could be written to infer the four primary types from a profile: do they write abstractly or poetically or do they write concretely; do they discuss feelings or ideas; do they emphasize exploration or safety/control/understandability. Extroversion/introversion cannot be precisely detected through an automatic analysis of profiles, I expect, although verbosity is somewhat correlated to that dimension in at least many clear cases.

To develop an automatic text classifier, it would be useful to have people take the survey and then study the correlations with survey results as you develop the classifier; it will aid in validation and development.

Email me if you want to discuss things further.

Best,

Tom
(PhD, Linguistics)
 YingKissesYang
Msg: 40
view profile
History
New Profile Field.
Posted: 12/17/2008 8:56:31 AM
Personality

AverageShyStrong Silent TypeOutgoingVery Out GoingIntellectualAdventurerArtsy/CreativeReligious/Spiritual
WorkaholicOptimistic, Funny,Spontaneous, Frugal, Carefree,
Sexy, Sweet, Agressive, Dark,Dominant, Friendly,
Conscientious ,Emotional, Laidback,
Pessimistic, Cynical,Pragmatic, Cold, Competitive,
Patient,Relaxed,Easy-going

If there is room LET US RANK THEM say even 4 or more of them
 sparklingGEM
Msg: 41
view profile
History
New Profile Field.
Posted: 1/5/2009 5:47:58 AM
"Allowing users to individually describe themselves, provides a greater glimse into their personality; than just letting them select options from drop-down menus."

I couldn't agree more. If people can't describe themselves properly in their profile, how are they going to carry out any meaningful conversation in a face-to-face meeting? I feel a dull profile usually equates to a dull person. I am attracted most to profiles where men have taken the time to detail their interests and personalities instead of simply saying "ask me what you want to know". The only exception is some of these guys find it very cumbersome to type. For them, I can see the purpose of a drop down, but agree with as others have stated, people will choose what is socially acceptable. I think a combination of both....a dropdown but space for people to explain their answers and still express their individuality.
 Merrylass
Msg: 42
view profile
History
New Profile Field.
Posted: 1/5/2009 12:00:30 PM
Or you could do a lengthy test that ends up giving you a personality profile based upon which your matches are made.

Think anybody's thought of that yet?
 PlatinumFish
Msg: 43
view profile
History
New Profile Field.
Posted: 1/15/2009 10:38:03 PM
I think that your favorites should pick what your personality type is. Allow them to select 3 adjectives that describe you and then the 3 (not necessarily all from the same person) will be entered into your profile.
 867love
Msg: 44
New Profile Field.
Posted: 1/16/2009 6:53:17 PM
why not! -i'll try anything at least once, -three, four or a dozen times if it was fun or i didn't get it right the first time
 sequoyah61
Msg: 45
New Profile Field.
Posted: 1/16/2009 7:27:52 PM
Markus:

First of all, let me say that I truly enjoy this site and the fact that it's free. The forums are a hoot and give me hours of entertainment. Kudos to you!

I also appreciate your intent to make improvements. It shows that you believe in taking care of your creation. However, I truly believe in the old trite (and true) saying: If it ain't broke, don't fix it! (and yes, I meant "trite," it was not a typo.)

Peace and love,

A content fishie
 Crimson_Angelix
Msg: 46
New Profile Field.
Posted: 3/11/2009 2:09:22 AM
If you keep it as something people can keep commenting on and improving I think it could work. I also think that if people can only choose one then you're gonna have them changed at least once a day if not people leaving it blank due to hassle. I having it where you can check off all that apply would be a nice additive to profiles. Could help narrow someone's search if they're honest in filling them out.
 nipoleon
Msg: 47
view profile
History
New Profile Field.
Posted: 3/11/2009 5:36:54 AM
It's really not much of a good idea.

However, I've never been a big fan of rating people based on their profile picture.
A really unique idea would be to rate people based upon their forum entries and contact experiences.

Mean spirited
Grouchy
Aloof
Inarticulate
Intellectual
Pleasant
Good Humored
Fun

You should have a top 500 personalities list.
 TheTime4us
Msg: 48
New Profile Field.
Posted: 3/11/2009 10:35:20 AM

I'm thinking of adding a new field called personality to the profile... Here are the options i've come up with so far, any others needed?

How about a personality field where one can write in their own description of themselves instead of having to choose one?

And as an aside... how about a field to ask if one is willing to relocate?

C..
 StarliteKisses
Msg: 49
view profile
History
New Profile Field.
Posted: 3/11/2009 11:36:22 AM
I think these extra choices that you are considering.......are TOTALLY UNNECESSARY!! Please don't do it!

Please use the "KISS" method......(Keep It Simple Stupid) LOL
 flowerforce
Msg: 50
New Profile Field.
Posted: 3/11/2009 1:37:53 PM
I do not give a FF about any new profile fields. I am annoyed that I was not given a Free serious member gold button. Who are you to determine my state of seriousness? put it where the sun don't shine
 flowerforce
Msg: 51
New Profile Field.
Posted: 3/11/2009 1:49:55 PM
Msg#91
Yes E-Harmony thought about it. Unfortunately I never got any matches from them. Now I have to be a SERIOUS (read paying) Member on A FREE dating site to have a chance at being matched?
 SLAFFA
Msg: 52
New Profile Field.
Posted: 3/11/2009 2:03:55 PM
REALIST!

Maybe you COULD post a thread simply asking WHAT new things people might like to see? What could it hurt? I can assure you that there would be MANY men and maybe women too, who would be willing to pay for LARGER/better quality pics. The reality here is that folks DO live and die by their pics for the most part.
 strollinbella
Msg: 53
New Profile Field.
Posted: 3/12/2009 5:04:08 AM
If I were to put religious/spiritual...even though that is a big part of who I am, it would scare most men away.

I am also:
funny
compassionate
giving
kindhearted
loving.....and so much more.

I do not think that this personality area should limit us to one option, as each of us are multifaceted and complex.
 RenaissanceMan1950
Msg: 54
New Profile Field.
Posted: 3/21/2009 8:07:21 AM
Admin, I was involved, for a time, with a woman who I eventually came to discover has borderline personality disorder. In other words, crazy, with massive mood swings.

I recently came across her profile on another site, and saw her self-description as being "warm" and "sensitive".

I wouldn't place much value in self-descriptions of personality types, to be honest.
 GoneSailinBabe
Msg: 55
New Profile Field.
Posted: 3/21/2009 8:30:21 AM
^^^^^^^ only issue with this is the inability of the individual to actually see things as they REALLY are...

"Really baby it IS 6"!"

(only if you give it to me 3 times!)
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > New Profile Field.