Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Flowers on the first date?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 lakeman14
Msg: 26
Flowers on the first date?Page 2 of 9    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)
maria, ty ty, and your as cute as a button!!
 Ticketoride
Msg: 27
Flowers on the first date?
Posted: 6/20/2005 2:55:24 AM
I consider a single Flower, usually a Rose, at least as a Gesture, that one is taking the first Date seriously, whether one is interested in the other Person or not.

Its all about Attitude, Courtesy, and the Manner and Style one is dealing with Dating Activity.

No Flower, or other suitable similar Gesture on the first Date is generally a Sign and Undertone that one is kinda taking the Date a bit for 'Granted', sort of with a 'Grain of Salt'.

Perhaps is best summarized by stating its 'The complete Respect that is missing from the Scenario'.
 UlaLume
Msg: 28
Posted: 6/20/2005 8:03:46 AM
I don't know. If in conversations that would need to occurr before the date would happen, I mention that I dislike flowers and he brings me one, there is proof he doesn't listen or just doesn't care.

Not respectful.
 MARIA27
Msg: 29
Posted: 6/20/2005 10:55:33 AM
NO, THANK YOU Lakeman 14.......you are a cutie......THANK YOU FOR spending part of your day with us!!! Hugs
 Canadian_Hottie_30
Msg: 30
Posted: 6/20/2005 11:08:10 AM
I had someone bring me a tulip once....I thought that was very sweet........BUT I also think it can go the other way around. I had a date once where he offered to cook dinner at his house. I knew that he had 2 young puppies.....so I brought a bottle of wine and treats for his dogs. I think the treats went over really well! I end up falling in love with the puppies, but not their owner lol....
 MARIA27
Msg: 31
Posted: 6/20/2005 12:15:44 PM
don't you just hate when that happens.....!!!!!!
 GirlRacer
Msg: 32
Posted: 6/20/2005 12:47:52 PM
it depends on the woman i suppose i dont really like flowers to much as someone sles said why spend that much money on something tha tis going to die but i definatly would act like a bi*** because he got me one espically if he didnt know i dont like flowers i would thank him and tell him it was very sweet or what ever
 biziedizie
Msg: 33
Posted: 6/20/2005 12:51:35 PM
Flowers die......but tulips look good on an organ.
 gentlespirit
Msg: 34
Posted: 6/20/2005 4:17:18 PM
Biz,

'nuff said...
 biziedizie
Msg: 35
Posted: 6/20/2005 4:49:08 PM
gentlespirit well it's true right! lol! I was going to say something else BUT no I thought twice!
 Lusty Kitty2
Msg: 36
Posted: 6/20/2005 5:29:20 PM
I think that roses are overrated and hate it when a man gives me roses. Do something original, not that a single flower isnt a good idea, and the thought is very sweet.
Biz you are a naughty boy.
 Draetor
Msg: 37
Posted: 6/20/2005 6:25:16 PM
As you can see from this post, every woman has a difference in opinion, and not only on this matter, of course. I would be scared to get flowers or a rose ona first date for what others have already posted, you might come off like you want something in return already.

Women always ruin things for their own kind, in my opinion.
 undercover blonde
Msg: 38
Posted: 6/20/2005 6:55:28 PM
A single flower is a lovely, and non threatening, gesture. But not a red rose on a 1st date.
 luvinlittleyellowjacket
Msg: 39
Posted: 6/20/2005 8:02:41 PM
Absolute beautiful thought,.,,
but on a first date make it a yellow rose
not red.... yellow signifies friendship....
red signifies love....

or even a pretty tulip or daisy is nice.
 daisysbwild
Msg: 40
Posted: 6/21/2005 2:31:55 AM
A sweet thought. But not a rose. Daisys. Even sweeter, the fact u took the time to pick them.
 undercover blonde
Msg: 41
Posted: 6/21/2005 12:31:19 PM
You know, I just remembered this. I had a gentleman give me a cookie on a stick shaped like a rose at our first meeting ..... talk about unique! (Good cookie too)
 Wild Artist
Msg: 42
Posted: 7/2/2005 5:17:19 AM
Hopefully by the first date you would have a basic idea of what the woman likes and be able to act accordingly. I personally enjoy a small token, but would never want to make a man feel it was a necessary item to make the date go well. Also, as mentioned above, you have to think about where it will be during the date. A dead flower isn't always able to be preserved after it has baked in a car, or been carried around all day.
 cosmos_411
Msg: 43
Posted: 7/2/2005 6:55:30 AM
I wouldn't go so far as to say that. Why is it bringing a flower to the first date is considered 'buying your approval" when dropping considerably more than that on dinner isn't. It's not the money it's the gesture. And as far as being generic is concerned .. check out this site: http://marriage.about.com/od/flowers/a/flowermean.htm Flowers are FAR from generic. They carry more meaning than you realize.
 cosmos_411
Msg: 44
Posted: 7/2/2005 6:57:38 AM
oops .. my previous msg was meant to be a response to Al Paulchino's post.
 Lost_Soul
Msg: 45
Posted: 7/2/2005 7:29:31 AM
To me this is the ultimate romantic gesture.

I don't see the implication of getting laid because of being presented a single rose. I see it as the opposite. To me that's a gentleman's way of saying "hi, nice to meet you".

Only one guy has presented me with a rose which I still look fondly upon. (Its fake so its still around) I ended up moving in with him within a week (long story - didn't have to do with the rose though LOL) and now we're platonic friends and roommates.

I guess if you want to find out if a woman is interested in receiving a flower at the first meet then talk about how she feels about receiving flowers during the chats that lead up to the first date. I'm sure they'll let you know if they have allergies or something.
 Al Paulchino
Msg: 46
Posted: 7/2/2005 8:32:20 AM
@ Cosmos:
Don't forget we're talking about first dates...I wouldn't drop a lot of money on a girl I don't even know...what if you don't hit it off? Spending money on a first date doesn't always mean that you're buying her approval, but if you go full out with flowers, dinner, and the whole nine yards when you don't even know the girl, you may be projecting that mentality.

Why not do something fun that doesn't cost a dime...now that's original!
 Montreal_Guy
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Posted: 7/2/2005 2:02:22 PM
I typically do that, with few exceptions.

I remember one great date where I met this woman in front of a coffeeshop. She looked great, and I said " Wait a minute, something is missing. Turn around slowly...."

As she slowly turned, I took out the peach coloured rose I had hidden under my winter jacket and presented it to her as I said " Now you are perfect."

The expression in her eyes was amazing.

Another woman once emailed me after a date. She wrote " Your rose is still alive ( it was about 2 weeks later) you must have the deepest soul of anyone I know.

I wrote back " You couldn't see that when I was sitting across the table talking to you ? "
 meg23
Msg: 48
Posted: 7/2/2005 7:06:01 PM
A single rose is sweet, more than that comes across too strong. Actually, I'm more likely to appreciate roses on the first date than later. I'm not a big fan of roses and later on in a relationship would except a guy to know that.

If you've talked to someone a lot, pick a gesture based on something he/she has told you. Like if you know they like daisies go with that instead.
 Quiet1
Msg: 49
Posted: 7/2/2005 7:07:32 PM
Yes, yes, yes! Flowers are good! and shows thought and interest! I don't understand why you would feel indebted by a flower? So what's the sexual equivalent? Kiss on the cheek? Eye contact for more than 10 seconds? Maybe everyone would date more people and perhaps more enjoyably if we all stopped looking for the hidden meaning in simple gestures. Just a flower people!!
 Belladona
Msg: 50
Posted: 7/2/2005 8:33:45 PM
That's a really nice thing to do, and I'd love it.

Bella
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Flowers on the first date?