Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Flowers on the first date?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 1frantastic
Msg: 98
view profile
History
Flowers on the first date?Page 6 of 9    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)
I agree with squirrly.....even flowers from the grocery store means...here these are for you...I hope you like them...I was thinking romantically anyway.....like in the old days when guys brought flowers to the one they were"courting".....and if it's not a "courtship"....don't bother.... you are not on the "Bacholar" giving one red rose to consider the next round....and I am not to be on your list to wait and see if I get a red rose....thanks for the flowers..."next man please"...
 Sweet_Sexy_Sassy79
Msg: 99
view profile
History
Flowers on the first date?
Posted: 11/3/2007 6:36:25 PM
I think it would be much more special if it had thought into it instead of just the traditional rose. I mean, if he knew I liked a certain colour or knew a flower had a certain significance to me and gave me one of those...I would appreciate it all that much. Anyone can buy a rose just to score points...there's no real thought in that...unless u know it is special to her.

However, I'd still be flattered/pleased rose or other flower...but I'd be MORE impressed if it was a flower/colour special to me.

Kimberly
 multiangel
Msg: 100
Posted: 11/3/2007 6:47:02 PM
Adorable....one rose is perfect ....not too much....It's extremely sweet....
 *buzz*
Msg: 101
view profile
History
Posted: 12/2/2007 10:39:06 AM
Yep, it did happen and it felt g r e a t!
 Dumpling-Girl
Msg: 102
view profile
History
Posted: 12/2/2007 10:49:20 AM

But please, do not waste your money on strangers you barely know.....

Why does it make you angry that other people do nice things for people they don't know? Does that mean you get angry when people give to charity. Or show a little kindness to someone in public, like in the grocery store line-up? I think a lot of the people who give flowers on a first date are people who just like to make other people happy. We're all human, and if people just showed a bit more kindness to their fellow human beings without asking for anything in return directly, then this would be a much more pleasant place to live in.

I was thinking about how easy it is in a big city to feel disconnected to people, and it's really sad. Road rage and internet dating are great examples of where it just takes a small barrier to make you feel disconnected to people as people. In nasty driving behaviour, it's just a layer of metal and glass that makes you forget to empathize with people. With internet, some people will write the rudest things in an IM to someone, that they would never say to someone's face.

I say, bring a flower if you want to. It's a nice thing to do. And if bitter, angry people don't appreciate it, pity them, but don't become them.
 AussieChill
Msg: 103
Posted: 3/2/2009 11:59:16 PM
cosmos, you are absolutely correct... roses convey significance by their color. other flowers are supposedly appropriate for differing occasions, not certain what they are though. - well never give a woman Lilies, they're for funerals. I'm usually one to take the cautious approach and give a single, non-rose flower; a small potted flowering plant is generally well received, especially if a card with a pleasant, non-stalker sentiment is attached :)
 Czech Roma
Msg: 104
Posted: 10/14/2009 9:04:21 PM
Yes, I always appreciated roses on the 1st date. One time I got a dozen roses on a 1st dtae. One guy I dated for 5 yrs bought me roses almost every day, and a dozen roses once a month!
 mermaid140
Msg: 105
Posted: 10/15/2009 12:50:50 PM
Yes,
A flower or flowers on a date is will always put a smile on my face... :)
 Sassysouthernbelle762
Msg: 106
view profile
History
Posted: 10/19/2009 6:34:55 AM
I had a date a few months ago.......this man gave me 2 dozen long stem red roses......geez....and he kept doing it for almost every date. We had 10 dates then I found out he was a stalker type guy and had to let him go BUT I sure do miss those beautiful red roses, lol
 ep4friend
Msg: 107
Posted: 10/20/2009 2:03:35 AM
On a first date, I suggest you only bring your great sense of humour LOL. Try to just be yourself, bring her nothing and see if she sticks around. If she does, she is worth it. If she doesn't then she is materialistic.
If you want to be romantic, there is plenty of time left for that when you enter into a relationship.
 Confident-Realist
Msg: 108
Posted: 10/8/2013 1:36:30 PM

I was wondering how you would feel if a date gave you 1 single rose on your first date? Would it be something that you would appreciate or not?

I think most women would appreciate it and think positively of it, in and of itself. I've looked around online and men & women's perspectives and it's definitely a mixed bag.

It depends on:
(a) What she's like (traditional and/or likes a guy to take care of her)
(b) Whether or not she's wanting/looking only for a relationship
(c) How she feels about you & how you landed the 1st date

If you Know she's solidly (a), then go for it.

If she's (b) and it's clear that she likes you and it wasn't difficult getting her #, etc -- then sure, go for it.

If she seems to have so-so interest, and agreed to a date, while not really seen as a traditional girl or one who wants a guy to cater to her -- don't do it.

In the end, IMO, it's not something you do by default as they can be appreciative of it but think there's too much too quick if things are up in the air and it's just a (first) date. IMO, you'd need more than just-a-first-date to feed off of, to run that route.
 Theme_Pack
Msg: 109
Posted: 10/8/2013 4:59:15 PM
My dates are usually walks.....so along the way I will pick something up...anything, a rock, a stick....hand it to them /her and say this is to remind you of our first date....Its funny to find out that the relationships I had made on here two that lasted 3 years each kept those silly rocks....Yes all admit I have a few acorns put away....

I think there's a time and place for a rose you know like on the Bachelor...

I usually tell my dates once they are abut to leave.....the next flower you see on the side of the road is from me to you....as long as its not winter....they think its cute. Use your imagination people its a great gift don't waste it....
 April1963
Msg: 110
Posted: 10/8/2013 7:15:52 PM

I was wondering how you would feel if a date gave you 1 single rose on your first date?

I would feel flattered and grateful of that chivalrous gesture.

Yes,please bring One single White Rose on our first date....White Roses are my favorite!!!!
 sandytm
Msg: 111
Posted: 10/9/2013 7:31:52 AM
If I liked cut flowers, the color wouldn't matter. If I had to take a train home from the city, I wouldn't want a rose in my hand.
 Theme_Pack
Msg: 112
Posted: 10/13/2013 4:20:21 AM
I have also received flower/s on a first date....I don't over think this stuff.
 drivingharmony2
Msg: 113
Posted: 10/13/2013 4:30:35 AM
Once I receive a single rose on a first date, which I thought was very sweet, but odd at the same time. Luckily, it was during the winter months, so the rose was ok in the car while we were on the date. I would hate to see if it was a warm/hot day or evening where the poor rose whittled away in the car (I definitely do not want to carry a flower around, with me on the date.) Overall, I think it's best not to do any flower(s) on any first date. I think it could be an awkward moment.
 elmuchoburrito
Msg: 114
Posted: 10/13/2013 3:14:37 PM
First date - no.

First meeting after trading notes and photos on social media for years
Sure
but that wasn't a date - and we both knew it.
 Fleuron
Msg: 115
Posted: 10/13/2013 4:06:38 PM

Hey ladies...:).. I was wondering how you would feel if a date gave you 1 single rose on your first date? Would it be something that you would appreciate or not?

Absolutely….I’d appreciate it even more if he gave me my favorite flower. Personally I’d rather have a small bouquet of wildflowers he took the time to think of me and act on it, than handing me a dollar rose wrapped in cellophane from the gas station.

Some guys think “roses” are part of some magic formula with women; I can’t stand that.

Theme_Pack, you sweet sentimental thing. :)
 kj521
Msg: 116
Posted: 10/13/2013 4:37:11 PM
" Absolutely….I’d appreciate it even more if he gave me my favorite flower. Personally I’d rather have a small bouquet of wildflowers he took the time to think of me and act on it, than handing me a dollar rose wrapped in cellophane from the gas station. "

+1 Fleuron

I think that it is incredibly sweet for a man to present a woman with a flower on a first date.....and even more special when he has taken the time and initiative to discover her favorite kind. For although it is the thought behind a gift that counts, some of us women really dislike certain kinds. For instance, I really dislike roses for personal reasons....
 Confident-Realist
Msg: 117
Posted: 10/13/2013 9:10:34 PM
I think that it is incredibly sweet for a man to present a woman with a flower on a first date.....

Well, if he's traveling 1,000 miles, I would certainly hope so! :)
 nyceguy85
Msg: 118
Posted: 10/14/2013 9:22:35 AM
Save the flowers until there is a committed relationship established. If you give her flowers on the first date, she will expect you to shell out top dollars on restaurants and gifts. Dont do it.
 Confident-Realist
Msg: 119
Posted: 10/14/2013 10:39:06 AM
Once I receive a single rose on a first date, which I thought was very sweet, but odd at the same time.

I think that's the reason why most guys, who are into chivalry, wisely don't think about doing it in most circumstances. You're not anti-chivalry, right?

I think the best question would be (to a gal): If you haven't recently had to emotionally deal with guys being too anti-romantic, and those thoughts are not in your mind... and the guy you're going to go out on a 1st date with you're sorta-interested in (not ga-ga about) -- would you Want him to bring flower(s) -- or would it be best for a better time when things started to get off the ground between you two?

I think instinctually in some people's minds, a "Yes" pops up if the question is "Are flowers good for a date?" ... Due to never having had that in a long time, too many anti-romantic boyfriends, a yearning for chivalry, etc -- or just the concept by itself, ignoring what the situation may be and what it commonly entails surrounding it.
 Maleman999
Msg: 120
Posted: 10/14/2013 11:22:21 AM
Is there a way of preserving picked dandelions in the non-summer months? I get the occasional dandelion on my lawn, but my neighbors have tons of them, and I'm sure they wouldn't mind if I took some to make a dandelion bouquet. If dandelions didn't have such a bad reputation, everybody would love them. Seriously though, I'm with the crowd that says flowers, trinkets, and gifts should wait until you know for sure you're interested in the person and start the dating segment of the mating ritual.
 Fleuron
Msg: 121
Posted: 10/14/2013 1:36:32 PM

For although it is the thought behind a gift that counts, some of us women really dislike certain kinds. For instance, I really dislike roses for personal reasons....

That’s odd…me too. I think a thoughtful gesture like flowers (that aren’t roses) on a first date would make some women more inclined to agree to a second date. :)

If dandelions didn't have such a bad reputation, everybody would love them.

No no no….it depends on the giver. When my son was little he used to bring me dandelion bouquets, and I loved them very much. :)

Plus they can reveal whether or not you like butter. :)

….start the dating segment of the mating ritual

Yeesh. My heart’s all fluttery over talk like that.
 kj521
Msg: 122
Posted: 10/14/2013 4:40:41 PM
"That’s odd…me too. I think a thoughtful gesture like flowers (that aren’t roses) on a first date would make some women more inclined to agree to a second date. :)"

You know what they say about great minds.....lol

But honestly it really is about the thought and feeling behind it. I once had a guy give me a mechanical pencil on a first date (there is a story behind it)!

"No no no….it depends on the giver. When my son was little he used to bring me dandelion bouquets, and I loved them very much. :) "

That is sweet Fleuron! Children give the best gifts because they are pure in heart!
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Flowers on the first date?