Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Xavery
Msg: 58
Assisted suicide - the right to die with dignityPage 2 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
^ I agree. I do not think it will take centuries for it be be legalized in North America though. I think perhaps a couple decades - if that.

I also agree that while I would not want to use such an exit strategy, there is some comfort in knowing that there is one. I suppose most people have thought: I would not want to live if X, Y or Z happened to me. For many of us, you could say that we are only in the world conditionally.
 mrchicken
Msg: 62
Assisted suicide - the right to die with dignity
Posted: 3/13/2009 10:31:18 PM
Halo, I only need to know one thing, and I might be able to die satisfied.
If necessary, would you be willing to nurish me as in "The Grapes of Wrath"?
 rockondon
Msg: 65
view profile
History
Posted: 11/16/2009 2:16:26 PM
The last episode of House touched on this issue too.
At one time I felt that health care workers should try to save everybody. More and more I realize how barbaric that is in some cases - I am often horrified at the long, slow, tortuous agony that some patients endure - their bodies kept alive by chemicals and machines which reduces the human experience to little more than inflicting pain and removing dignity.
 mcalgary
Msg: 66
view profile
History
Posted: 11/29/2009 1:32:36 AM
The problem with legalizing this is that it opens a pandora's box. As with Same sex marriage laws have made it hard to prosecute polygamy, allowing assisted suicide makes too many other things open. If the law was very specific and outlined exactly what ailments would qualify and at what point, then I am all for it but if it only says non curable diseases I am not.
 TheAngelGabriel
Msg: 67
view profile
History
Posted: 12/2/2009 9:40:28 PM
Society wants to control every instance of our lives right down to our very existence. I believe that we should all be given the right to choose life or death at ANY point during our existence. People will argue that suicide is wrong but who are people to make that decision for me? They weren't there when I was born, or when I had to suffer, so why is there decision when I get to go?

I am in favour of assisted suicide and although many doctors won't admit it, so are they.
 mcalgary
Msg: 69
view profile
History
Posted: 12/4/2009 11:39:52 PM
One problem with all this comes up with a situation where the medical costs or other financial matters are adding up and people either start to feel an obligation to there families to reduce costs or are even pressured or talked into suicide. Don't tell me this wouldn't happen. It definantly would. How do you prevent it is the question. You must realize that many young woman are pressured into an abortion. I personally know 2 friends of mine when I was 19 who were pressured (one by her parents and the other by the family medical clinic). And assisted suicide is very much like abortion. This post has nothing to do with abortion, I am only using it as a similar example. I am totally pro-choice so please don't try and twist it.
 TheAngelGabriel
Msg: 70
view profile
History
Posted: 12/5/2009 9:23:05 PM
Good point mcalgary, perhaps there would need to be some criteria or process in place to avoid this from happening.
 Walts
Msg: 71
Posted: 12/6/2009 8:35:02 AM
As soon as the medical community decided to start "extending" lives with new and improved ways,,,they started phucking with the natural circle of life. Therefore,,,if the medical profession can "extend" life because of their discoveries,,,would not the other choice be for those that want,,,,, end OUR life when WE decide????

Personally, I have a distaste for the "extension of life" just because "we can". Most of the time,,,,philosphicaly speaking,,,,,"it is not suppose to be". We have been putting a "value" on life,,,,or what some perceive to be as "life", that gives some the belief that they can continually tell people how to live,,,and what is good or not so good for them. I know I don't think I would enjoy waking up and looking at a suitcase of pills that I would have to take during the day,,,,just to get thru it,,,,let alone laying in a bed everyday with tubes and other items protuding from parts of my body that I didn't know I had,,,,just so that I could "live". Not really my definition of "living".

Society wants to control every instance of our lives right down to our very existence. I believe that we should all be given the right to choose life or death at ANY point during our existence. People will argue that suicide is wrong but who are people to make that decision for me? They weren't there when I was born, or when I had to suffer, so why is there decision when I get to go?

Humerous in a wierd sorta way, coming from someone that is trying to get others to "help" those that he(or society) believes "needs" our "help",,,,no????? Question is,,,when should "we" step in,,,,and "who" gets to decide this,when and if this time arrives????? The other question here,,,and that other topic,,, is,,,,,what "help" is required and needed,,,,and when should we be letting things just "be"??????

I am totally pro-choice

If this is true for anyone,,,then at no point should you question "assisted suicide". If we give women the choice,,,,we should be giving all HUMANS the same choice when it comes to their OWN lives,,,,no????? Doesn't matter the reasons for an abortion theoreticaly,,,,,so theoreticaly,,,,the reasons for request of assisted suicide shouldn't matter,,,,,theoreticaly????

Personally,,,,I don't really care who makes up what laws concerning this. When my time comes,,,,,, I will go. And I can promise,,,yep promise,,,,,it will not be lying in a bed,,,unless of course there is a somebody under/beside/over me at that time.
 mcalgary
Msg: 72
view profile
History
Posted: 12/6/2009 2:57:45 PM

If this is true for anyone,,,then at no point should you question "assisted suicide". If we give women the choice,,,,we should be giving all HUMANS the same choice when it comes to their OWN lives,,,,no????? Doesn't matter the reasons for an abortion theoreticaly,,,,,so theoreticaly,,,,the reasons for request of assisted suicide shouldn't matter,,,,,theoreticaly????

Did you read the entire post?? The reason being that someone else talked them into it?? I am sorry but that is not acceptable for someone being talked into suicide.
 Walts
Msg: 73
Posted: 12/7/2009 5:47:58 AM

Did you read the entire post?? The reason being that someone else talked them into it?? I am sorry but that is not acceptable for someone being talked into suicide.

My comment had nothing to do with the strength(or weakness) of the women that were "talked" into anything. (Just so ya know,,,if those girls were "talked" into anything,,,they probably were never mature enough to handle the "other" chose THEY had,,,,but that is a completely different topic)
It was a comparison,,,relating to the fact that as a society we give certain "rights" to a female and her body,,,,but we don't to the same to an individual(male or female) when it comes down to chosing how their chose to end their own story.
 rockondon
Msg: 76
view profile
History
Posted: 3/9/2010 11:58:24 PM

We do not have the right
to choose when to end our life.
God as the Creator chose to give earthly life, and only He has the
right to take it back at His chosen time.
It is after reading crap like this that the merits of suicide are the most apparent.

So He chooses does He? Today's life expectancy is around 80yrs old, a century ago it was about 50yrs old, and a millenia ago it was about 30yrs old. How coincidental that God 'chooses' to take lives later and later as scientific achievement advances.

In a health care setting, the result of this kind of thinking are people who are typically unaware that prolonging life can prolong suffering, people who demand a natural death for their mom (as though sustaining her on life support is 'natural') while mom lingers on in confusion, in fear, in indignity, and in horrible pain - all thanks to the fact that as her downward spiral makes her too confused to make her own decisions and the ones who decide for her care more about some ancient book filled with dogma than they care about mom herself.

Life is precious but I still feel that people should have the right to die with dignity and on their own terms.
 Walts
Msg: 78
Posted: 3/10/2010 4:31:27 AM

We do not have the right
to choose when to end our life.

Yet,,,,we do extend it. Does that "fit" in God's plan????? If he has a plan,,,the question from me is then why can people use medical reasons/practises to extend,,,,yet look down upon how we can so call "shorten" life ???????

Why put the "fear of God" into a choice that some could use to emiminate pain and suffering???? Why, oh why????
 rockondon
Msg: 79
view profile
History
Posted: 3/10/2010 7:47:48 AM

And calling my opinion 'crap'
You've been giving opinions? Where? All I see from you is statements. If it was an opinion it would be qualified with things like "I believe that..." "I think that..." or "in my opinion..." When you present your opinions as though they are facts, that's 'crap.' (in my opinion )

When one does not have faith, then there is no peaceful welcoming
warmth of a greater love. Or understanding.
Therein lies the sorrow of truly dying alone.
Do you have evidence to support this statement? No? - surprise surprise. It can go back to the orifice from which it came, then.

Not everyone wants the 'welcoming warmth' of the celestial thug who wreaks death and destruction throughout the Old Testament. Considering the people I've met who feel certain they are going to heaven, it makes hell look like a much better place.

Regardless of one's beliefs in the afterlife, I would find far more comfort knowing that a lived a good life and if there is more to existence after death - wonderful - if not, I will be content knowing that I enjoyed life to its fullest.
 Snotsure
Msg: 83
Posted: 3/11/2010 5:25:18 AM
We can kill ourselves with fatty food, unprotected sex, smoking, alcohol, drugs, daredevil activities.... so the right to take ones life by suicide is just the same. YOUR CHOICE.
 rockondon
Msg: 85
view profile
History
Posted: 3/12/2010 12:08:00 PM
I told my gf that I don't want to be stuck in a vegetative state dependent on some machine...
...so she took my laptop away.
Msg: 87
Posted: 11/28/2010 9:34:05 AM
I think if someone wants to die it is their right.How dare anyone tell another person that they have to endure horrible suffering just so they can feel better about themselves.People who have suffered no more then a flu or cold in their lives have no freaking idea just how horrible it is to be ill,truly ill,not some minor thing.
Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  >