Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Why conflicting clichés?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 7
Why conflicting clichés?Page 3 of 3    (1, 2, 3)

But more importantly, although it could usually be better, it could ALWAYS be worse, so therefore it's all good.

It is NOT all good--give me a break.

Suffering or dying of a major disease such as cancer is not all good.

Going hungry is not all good.

Being oppressed is not all good.

Yes, it might be worse to fall down and break your back rather than spraining a finger, but that doesn't mean the finger is "all good."

That is an either/or fallacy when there are hundreds of gradients. So, if I am living in poverty, hungry and cold, I should not even strive to do better because someone is worse off and it's "all good"?

Pablum for the masses--accept your lot.
 ladyc4
Msg: 8
Why conflicting clichés?
Posted: 11/8/2008 9:04:40 AM

there wouldn't be so many people desperately single.

Now THAT'S an interesting phrase; "desperately" single. I bet if every person here stopped and thought about it a minute, they'd realize that there are people out there "desperately coupled."
Does anybody ever stopped to think that maybe they are in fact one of those for which there isn't "someone", and you aren't gonna KNOW that until the coroner is calling your time of death? I'm not suggesting that every single person develop a defeatist or "resigned to it" mindset. I just tell people who lay a tale of woe and/or frustration on me "I'm sorry that you got hurt( or that you're lonely/frustrated/whatever.) The Universe wants you to be happy and have a good life whether you have a partner or you have single blessedness. "
Cindy O
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 9
Why conflicting clichés?
Posted: 11/8/2008 12:59:15 PM

So I rolled my dad's truck and broke my arm. It could've been better (the accident didn't happen or even certain factors to change the outcome), but it could've been a lot worse (I could've easily died or been much more seriously injured), so it's all good.

And what do you say to the person who lost a child to a drunk driver? It could have been worse? It's all good?

I am not usually pessimistic; I accept the bad along with the good, but to say anything is "all" good, or bad, is a misnomer.

However, this is a digression and is off topic from the OP's posting asking if there is someone for everyone.

Blankets don't cover everyone and everything--someone's ass will be uncovered.

And I still maintain--if everything is all good, why change it?
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 10
Why conflicting clichés?
Posted: 11/8/2008 4:12:29 PM

Well, if we are tearing down cliches,

That cliche is coupled with "every dog has its day".
Uggh...

Down with cliches! Avoid them like the plague! Give the devil his due! Out with the old, in with the new! Burn 'em, I say!

Then, perhaps, I will not ever have to write on another student's paper, "Cliche--try something more original and creative."
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 11
Why conflicting clichés?
Posted: 11/8/2008 8:38:23 PM

Many of what you call cliches often have a deeper meaning.

And stereotypes are applicable to SOME of the people whom they lump together.

If you can't find a partner out that bunch then you are too damn hard to please.

There is a difference between being with someone merely to be with someone and being with someone who is a kindred spirit.
 Xcen
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Why conflicting clichés?
Posted: 11/8/2008 8:57:16 PM
It is quite simple: Cliches are built around facts, stereotypes are built around facts but one has to temper that knowledge (and application of cliches and stereotypes) with the fact that a broken clock is correct (factual) twice a day.
 VivaciousVixen2010
Msg: 13
Why conflicting clichés?
Posted: 11/8/2008 9:30:03 PM
I Love the word OXYMORON~ it means saying one thing BUT meaning another which is quite a dichotomy ~~~~~~~DICHOTOMY~which means~ of the one and the many

and of course as the ODD Couple says........ don't assume otherwise you will make an as s of u and me
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 14
Why conflicting clichés?
Posted: 11/9/2008 6:45:22 AM

Cliches are built around facts

Cliches are built around facts?

Facts can be proven by empirical evidence. Cliches are all encompassing, blanket statements. Let's take "Look before you leap," which is highly applicable if you are crossing a busy street. However, if you are in a pasture with a bull and your friend shouts, "Jump, now!" perhaps you should consider following that advice instead of checking out the location of the bull. It can also apply more metaphorically--i.e. not taking chances. But how many people have gone on blind intuition and been successful? Even if there are only a few, it belies the truism of the cliche.

A cliche such as "all is good," again, is highly optimistic but delusional. We can climb out of the tar pits of our lives and if we are wise, take lessons to avoid future pits, but that doesn't mean the experiences was "all good."

stereotypes are built around facts

So, white supremacists are right and non-Caucasians really are inferior? This is a long standing stereotype--which "fact" is it built upon? It was a long held stereotype that women are also inferior to men--which fact is that based on? When we, as a culture, finally move toward discarding stereotypes, does that mean "facts" have changed?

Women are also stereotyped as having no logic--snort.
 ladyc4
Msg: 15
Why conflicting clichés?
Posted: 11/9/2008 9:01:20 AM

Do people who say "There's someone out there for everyone." actually believe it? Have you ever said it? Do you really believe it?

Well, what do you WANT them to say? "Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in awhile?"
Cindy O
 MyFunIsAnArtForm
Msg: 16
Why conflicting clichés?
Posted: 11/9/2008 10:36:57 AM
It seems that if the person you have been looking at on the dating site has been there for 10 years then most likely there going to be there 100 more years. There internet dating junkies and will stay in that track forever most likely. If they find someone then that's great and I happy for them.
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 17
Why conflicting clichés?
Posted: 11/9/2008 6:23:36 PM

I suppose I wouldn't have done it if Gwendolyn didn't know who I was, but she does...

I would have done it even if I didn't know myself. And actually, the comment would have been amusing even if a man had said it. I would have assumed he was being satirical.

Why would you be proud of those scores because you are a women? What's being a woman got to do with it?

Apt question! By declaring pride over scores because one is a woman is a form of sexism; it assumes that other women wouldn't do as well.
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 18
Why conflicting clichés?
Posted: 11/9/2008 7:38:36 PM

Of course I should've known it would come off as bragging and set me up for scorn and ridicule... but for what, we can all tell who's got any brains around here or not.

It wasn't that your statement came across as bragging; rather, it seemed strange for you to chastise ismene for making an obvious joke about the ability of women to think yet in the next breath, say that you are proud to get high scores because you are a woman. It insinuated that you shouldn't have done as well because you are a woman.

It has nothing to do with being a woman,

Then why point out that you are a woman who got high scores? It seems that you desired to prove that a woman could be logical.

As ismene pointed out, shouldn't you have just been proud--femininity aside? Shouldn't a man who had as good a score be just as proud?
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Why conflicting clichés?