Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Politics  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 TimPommell
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Sarah Palin's Outfits, continued. Page 2 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
Anybody else waxing nostalgic for 9th grade English Lit?

Much Ado About Nothing... not Shakespeare’s best to be sure, but still far more riveting than “you have underwear you didn’t pay for…”

Scandalous issue to be sure, fodder for the mainstream media no doubt, now they no longer have to dig through Joe the Plumber's trash cans to find their next page of scandal and sensationalism... I have to say this is some real top notch reporting. The outcome could transform the way the world views the integrity of the National Enquirer...
 bliss serendipity
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Sarah Palin's Outfits, continued.
Posted: 11/10/2008 6:18:16 PM
This from DKos today, I guess RNC wants the goods returned,

"BRITCHES TO NOWHERE: 'She spent the weekend frantically sorting through clothes'
by RobertInWisconsin
Mon Nov 10, 2008 at 0228 PM PST

The title of this diary - 'She spent the weekend frantically sorting through clothes' - comes straight out of the mouth of the father of the person who could have been Vice President-elect of the United States, a heartbeat away from being the most powerful person on Earth.

While comical - 'She spent the weekend frantically sorting through clothes' serves as a neat bookend to the anonymous 'Wasilla hillbillies looting Neiman-Marcus from coast to coast' comment from a higher-up in the McCain campaign - nonetheless the quote also raises many, many questions.

* RobertInWisconsin's diary :: ::

From the article :

Palin sorts clothes to see what belongs to the RNC

Associated Press
November 10, 2008

WASILLA, Alaska – Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin spent part of the weekend going through her clothing to determine what belongs to the Republican Party after it spent $150,000-plus on a wardrobe for the vice presidential nominee, according to Palin's father. . . . Republican National Committee lawyers are still trying to determine exactly what clothing was bought for Palin, what was returned and what has become of the rest.

Palin's father, Chuck Heath, said his daughter spent the day Saturday trying to figure out what belongs to the RNC. "She was just frantically ... trying to sort stuff out," Heath said. "That's the problem, you know, the kids lose underwear, and everything has to be accounted for.

. . . RNC lawyers have been discussing with Palin whether what's left of the clothing and accessories purchased for her on the campaign trail will go to charity, back to stores or be paid for by Palin, a McCain-Palin campaign official said Friday, speaking on condition of anonymity because the campaign hadn't authorized comment. . . .

STORY

Among the questions :

1. In past elections, has America ever heard election post-mortems from the father of a presidential or VP nominee ? ( Set aside situations when one's dad is a former president. )

2. 'She spent the weekend frantically sorting through clothes.' I thought those clothes were returned, or never left the airplane, or didn't exist ! Either the $ 150,000 + story is true or it isn't true.

3. The article makes several references to 'RNC lawyers' - this sounds serious. Has the Republican Party lawyered up to go after Palin ?

4. The silk boxers - are they 'lost' now ? Were the Palins throwing stuff out of the back of the plane on its descent to the Anchorage airport ? Is the Alaska tundra littered with high-fashion lingerie and accessories ? Does the First Gentleman need to get on his snow-machine to retrieve the items ?

Questions, questions, questions.

It's truly mind-boggling to imagine a VP nominee and current Governor of any state spending a weekend 'frantically going through clothes' - apparently under pressure of lawyers from her own party - and having her own father report this on the record to news media ( including speculating about 'lost underwear' ), but that's PRECISELY what we have here.

Sarah Palin won't be able to complain that this is some mean, unkind, nasty story from anonymous 'jerks.' This is her own father, on the record, painting a picture of Palin as a frantic Lucy Ricardo trying to eat chocolate candies as they come off an out-of-control assembly line.

Instead of going on Fox News tonight, NBC Today show tomorrow, and CNN on Wednesday, I would humbly suggest we have the makings of a Reality Trash-TV program on our hands here. Perhaps VH-1 can sign the Palin family to air their dirty laundry on a weekly basis, complete with drama, meltdowns, screaming, finger-pointing, and yelling. I suggest a title : Pallin' Around With The Palins.

Meanwhile, President-elect Obama and the next First Lady spent the day today as normal functioning adults, traveling to our nation's capital to meet with the current occupants of the White House.

UPDATE - Inspired by some of the comments in this thread, perhaps Palin can defend herself by saying, 'I told the RNC Thanks, but No Thanks to those britches to nowhere.'"

Bliss
 d0rene
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Posted: 11/10/2008 6:33:39 PM
Understand, I do not like Sara Palin. Some of the things I have heard about her stint as both mayor and govenor in Alaska really rubbed me wrong. That being said....

I feel she is being treated unfairly for this. I was outraged when I initially heard the story, however after hearing more I changed my mind. I cannot tell what the price of things are when I put them on and she did not personally go to the stores to pick them out. From what I understand, they gave a blank to a stylist to make her what the Republican party considered presentable. What happens when you give anyone a blank check? Look at the money both John and Cindy McCain have to spend on clothes..... Palin is coming from a completely different background. The GOP planned on spin doctoring Palin to appeal to what they thought of as the "blue collar" workers and the women voters who were backing Hilary Clinton. It backfired. They tried to pull the strings of something they didn't understand and it fell apart and now they are going to hang Palin for it. Even though it doesn't change my opinion of her or her policies, I do feel kind of bad for her.
 geeleebee
Msg: 28
Posted: 11/10/2008 7:01:44 PM
She is the governor of a state.
She is not stupid.
She can read the name 'Neiman Marcus' on labels--which were left on, supposedly to go back after the election.

I was not outraged when I heard about the $$$$$ spent on her; I was nauseated at the thought of this self-proclaimed 'hockey mom' wearing thousands of dollar's worth of clothing that few of her constituents could ever afford for themselves.
This isn't dress-up--this was about the very real lives of those Americans with whom she tried so hard to connect at a 'Joe Six-Pack' level.

Seriously; it's over.
 cncgandolf
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 11/10/2008 7:40:16 PM
"I was not outraged when I heard about the $$$$$ spent on her;"

You all know I supported Obama. I also work in management and business education. I've spent years dressing the part. I've posted before that I was not at all surprised at her being "dressed" by the campaign. I do absolutely agree that it was in total conflict with the "hockey mom" with "joe six pack" persona - there are wealthy hockey mom's out there who might wear executive business person clothing, but not with joe six pack.

Frankly, I am surprised to learn that there is an act about buying clothing for campaigns. However, if there is a law it needed to be followed.

I am disappointed to hear all these attacks on Palin. I strongly suspect that part of the RNC problems with her is that she didn't want to change persona and when it wasn't working to change it she was the one to insist on going back to being herself.

You don't like the deal with the clothing, attack the RNC. Aim is off if attacking Palin.
 itechman63
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 11/10/2008 8:24:44 PM
Tim, until earlier this year I watched Fox News religiously since before the invasion of Iraq. When I did get a lunch break from the office, I rushed home (formerly 2 blocks from the office) to watch Fox News. I know it very well.

I still watch it, CNN, and MSNBC equally. When it comes to reporting of the days events, no one of those networks stands apart in fairness or balance.
 MacKevinized
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 11/11/2008 3:35:01 AM

Frankly, I am surprised to learn that there is an act about buying clothing for campaigns. However, if there is a law it needed to be followed.

I am disappointed to hear all these attacks on Palin. I strongly suspect that part of the RNC problems with her is that she didn't want to change persona and when it wasn't working to change it she was the one to insist on going back to being herself.

You don't like the deal with the clothing, attack the RNC. Aim is off if attacking Palin.

It was a law written by McCain and since it was his campaign, the blame rests with him and his lack of control over his staff.

However, Palin's claim to fame is based on routing out corruption. In this case, she either read the McCain-Feingold act and knew she was accepting clothes that were illegally purchased or she was unaware of the act and not qualified to uphold the laws she was campaigning to defend.
 itechman63
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 11/11/2008 5:06:43 AM

she either read the McCain-Feingold act

She'll have to "get back to you" on what she reads.
 cotter
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 11/11/2008 6:48:47 AM

Attacking Sarah Palin for something she had no control over is stupid.
Ahhhh but she did have control over it. She didn't have to take one blouse, or skirt from the RNC.

She could have just said, "No sirree ... I will wear my own clothes and that will be that. Yer darn tootin' I'll be the "Plain Jane" you all want me to be ... that's right ... I represent someone down-to-earth and so that's how I'm gonna dress."

The fact is Sarah Palin has given the clothing to charity
I don't know that it was her place to do that (if she really did do that). Technically, it occurs to me that the clothes are the property of the RNC and only they can determine what should be done with them ... returned, given to charity, whatever.

If in fact they were no longer in Palin's possession, why would her father say she spent the day sorting through clothes? Is he a liar now?
 geeleebee
Msg: 35
Posted: 11/11/2008 8:21:11 AM

Wow...we are getteing reliable info from the Daily KOS now? Left wing rag...
I see the left is still attacking the Right...nice. You would think that after their savior won, they would be a bit nicer. I guess not. Hate is hate..I say good riddance to you and your hate.
Attacking Sarah Palin for something she had no control over is stupid. Just more lefty sewer verbiage. The fact is Sarah Palin has given the clothing to charity...thought you on the left would like something like this...something good from something not so bad...

Umm...that would be 'Savior', with a capital 'S'. Like, 'Superman'.
 MacKevinized
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Posted: 11/11/2008 10:18:21 AM

Has anyone seen the reciepts?

I cannot seem to find a site with any real proof of the money spent.

I also cannot find anyone that heard her say Africa was a state.... that is what she said?

Obviously you haven't looked too hard for proof. Go back and see the link provided in this thread.

Newsweek knows who heard her say Africa was a country and she didn't know the countries in NAFTA.

THey probably wish to remain anonymous because they are looking for work now and need McCain as a reference.
 cncgandolf
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 11/11/2008 10:30:48 AM
"she either read the McCain-Feingold act and knew she was accepting clothes that were illegally purchased or she was unaware of the act and not qualified to uphold the laws she was campaigning to defend."

Or she was being a "good soldier" and following the orders of the RNC.

Let those who have never ever followed a bosses orders without disagreeing with them cast the first stone. I restate: She disagreed; said she disagreed; was out voted on the decision by the RNC.

Remember, I am not a Palin fan. I do not think she was qualified for the job. However, I don't think that disagreeing with the RNC and complying with them is a basis that will win any credence. "Good soldier" is often considered a quality.
 itechman63
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 11/11/2008 11:27:09 AM
Can we let this woman take her rightful place among political trivia questions for future generations?

She was fun while she lasted. Her future Presidential aspirations are met with two possible outcomes. 1, she embodies the very things about the GOP of which people are weary and the best she could do is to acquire at best the same margin of defeat as this year or 2, the GOP recognizes the people are weary of them and they remake themselves in an image that does not include the likes of Sarah Palin. She could remain a Governor and maybe even find herself in the Senate and retain popularity and significance, but she will never be as close to sniffing the Oval Office as she was last week.
 SteelCity1981
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 11/11/2008 4:24:37 PM
Obviously you haven't looked too hard for proof. Go back and see the link provided in this thread.

Newsweek knows who heard her say Africa was a country and she didn't know the countries in NAFTA.

Oh yes, is that why Steve Schmidt, the campaign's chief strategist, for the McCain camp went on the record by saying that this claim was utterly bogus......
 MacKevinized
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Posted: 11/12/2008 11:46:27 AM

Oh yes, is that why Steve Schmidt, the campaign's chief strategist, for the McCain camp went on the record by saying that this claim was utterly bogus......

Being that Schmidt was with the McCain entourage and the unnamed sources were with the Palin entourage, How could he possibly know what was said by unnamed sources or who they were?
 kabiosile
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Posted: 11/13/2008 12:51:47 AM
There is a very old saying "Do not throw stones while living in a glass house."

She threw plenty of stones and when it came back on her she plays the sexist card. I do not feel sorry for her one bit.

caribou Barbie we will miss laughing at you.
 SteelCity1981
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Posted: 11/13/2008 8:41:26 AM

How could he possibly know what was said by unnamed sources or who they were?

Gee i don't know maybe because he was McCains' top chief strategist in which he was able to over see a lot of the operations going around in the McCain camp.
 flawedbutfun
Msg: 48
Posted: 11/13/2008 8:46:03 AM
I don't think the issue now is about how much was spent, or how it compares to the amount the campaigns spent on this election...it's about the legality. The election is over and ti issue will be looked at by campaign strategist and taken into consideration in future campaigns.

The legality of the purchases is something no one will know until the RNC and the McCain campaign file their final reports, and Palin files her taxes. Then this may or not be an issue. By then we will be knee deep in opinions on how Obama is handling the economy and Iraq etc. It probably won't even register on the news. If she did something wrong she will get slapped for it, pay a fine, and deal with the ramifications in future election campaigns.

The perception of being a 'joe sixpack' 'hockey mom' was tarnished by her wearing the clothes. And remember, no one forced her to wear then, and remember how quickly after the news about this came out, she started to wear her own clothes and point that out to the media.
 flawedbutfun
Msg: 50
Posted: 11/14/2008 11:01:17 AM

Can we let this woman take her rightful place among political trivia questions for future generations?

I chuckle everytime I read that and hope that is all she ever becomes. It's embarrassing how America shunned away from intelligence in a Presidential candidate in 2000 and 2004 - I am glad that we elected one in 2008.

Palin's handling of the clothes issue is just one of many telling shortcomings she demonstrated in the election that makes her a less then desirable candidate for 2012. If she runs in 2012, and does well, that will speak volumes about the republican party...they just don't get it. You can't keep stirring up fear of the Democrats so you can push your neocon, christian agenda.
 TimPommell
Msg: 51
view profile
History
Posted: 11/14/2008 12:19:30 PM

I chuckle everytime I read that and hope that is all she ever becomes. It's embarrassing how America shunned away from intelligence in a Presidential candidate in 2000 and 2004 - I am glad that we elected one in 2008.

Palin's handling of the clothes issue is just one of many telling shortcomings she demonstrated in the election that makes her a less then desirable candidate for 2012. If she runs in 2012, and does well, that will speak volumes about the republican party...they just don't get it. You can't keep stirring up fear of the Democrats so you can push your neocon, christian agenda.

I chuckle every time I think about how dismissive some pseudo intellectuals are, because you don’t subscribe to their limited perspective and adhere to their political philosophy it’s construed as an indication of the absence of intelligence. Take this election for example, they BARELY squeak out a victory over someone who ran a half-assed campaign at best and somehow they feel as though they have been anointed as all knowing. It's this very smugness that has cost them in the past and will cost them yet again in the future.
Politics and political direction is cycular in nature. Most people get it, that’s why they don’t spend their day gloating over something that peaks every 2-4-6-8-12 years, that being a change in the electorate winds. Without fail, both reigning parties get a little too big for their britches after being in power for an extended period and the electorate takes them down a peg, just as Pelosi and Reid will discover in 2010 when they lose their positions as House and Senate Majority Leaders.
The frequency of that change is directly attributable to the smugness of those in power. Clinton lost the confidence of the electorate when he tapped his completely unqualified wife to head up the healthcare issue. It was perceived by the masses that he felt, by virtue of being around him, that her total lack of experience in the arenas of both the legislative process AND healthcare itself was a non-issue, and that she would automatically be granted “all knowing” status and by doing so would guide her subjects to the correct position on all his policies… we all know just how successful that was, he lost the supermajority AND control of both the House and the Senate in the very first midterm election. He didn’t lose it because people no longer cared about the issue, but because they felt he no longer took the issue seriously and put forth someone to spearhead the effort who couldn’t even muster enough support within his own party to move the issue forward.

I chuckle every time the term “neocon” is thrown around, particularly when the person using it has no idea what the term actually means. Absolutely no idea that the term was first coined as an insult to Democrats who began to favor the fiscal and socially conservative philosophies promoted by the Reagan administration. I think today they refer to them as “Blue Dog” Democrats. The only insult to Republicans in being called a “neocon” is the inference that at one time the person’s philosophy was actually in line with the liberal agenda.
As for the insistence that Democrats are being put upon by the “Christian agenda” it takes only a few minutes on Google to discover that the majority of registered voters of Evangelical Christian faith actually voted for democrats, not republicans in the last two national elections.

As the contest between the Maverick and the Newbie comes together, many expect boundaries between red and blue to be redrawn and alliances to shift. For the first time in many years, the allegiance of evangelicals and values voters-- one of George Bush's strongest constituencies-- may fall to the Left. Not surprisingly, the New York Times reports today that John McCain's campaign has gone into triage mode to alleviate "a continued wariness toward him among evangelicals and other Christian conservatives, a critical voting bloc for Republicans that could stay home in the fall or at least be decidedly unenthusiastic in their efforts to get out the vote."

Reverend Jim Wallis, whose book The Great Awakening: Reviving Faith and Politics in a Post-Religious America came out in January-- is one of many who argue that the evangelical vote will not be "decidedly unenthusiastic" this year, but rather refocused on a broader, more progressive agenda. "Many evangelical and Pentecostal Christians are leaving the Religious Right while retaining their commitment to live out their faith in the world," Wallis writes. As evangelicals begin to see the Iraq war and economic hardships as moral imperatives even more pressing than the sanctity of marriage, more and more are voting Democratic. The evidence of this political shift has already started accumulating-- and by Wallis' assessment, the time is right for Democrats to fully embrace their religious constituents.
More white evangelicals voted for Democrats in House races in 2006 than in 2004… Fewer evangelicals voted for Republicans in 2006 than for Bush in 2004.
The 2006 Congressional elections showed that Christians, much like the rest of the country, are growing weary of the current brand of Republicanism. Exit polls showed that 6 percent more Catholics and 5 percent more white evangelicals voted for Democrats in House races in 2006 than in 2004. Eight percent fewer evangelicals voted for Republicans in 2006 than for Bush in 2004. Some have questioned whether it was wise for John McCain to reject the endorsements of evangelical leaders such as the controversial Rev. John Hagee and Rev. Rod Parsley, but Wallis would argue the influence of such men is fading. In The Great Awakening, Wallis shares the anecdotal evidence of a rally he took part in at Bethel University in Minnesota that drew a larger crowd than the "moral values" rally James Dobson held in the area two weeks prior.

One would think the correct lesson to take from this change in political wind is that abandoning ones base is detrimental to ones future in the political spectrum. Clinton thought he had a mandate, clearly he was wrong. Bush thought he had one, clearly he was wrong. The only mandate given when someone is elected to office is to do as promised during the campaign; nothing less … adding to that agenda is quite simply playing Russian roulette with only one empty chamber.
 MacKevinized
Msg: 52
view profile
History
Posted: 11/14/2008 2:06:58 PM

I chuckle every time I think about how dismissive some pseudo intellectuals are, because you don’t subscribe to their limited perspective and adhere to their political philosophy it’s construed as an indication of the absence of intelligence.

And we should think you're the intellectual because you're good at tossing long winded insults?

Besides quoting someone that stayed on topic, nothing else you say is on topic

Do you expect us to think that's intellectual?
Like Palin, you sure can toss out a lot of words that don't address the issue but that's not intellect.

itechman63
Msg: 53
view profile
History
Posted: 11/14/2008 4:31:25 PM

I chuckle every time the term “neocon” is thrown around, particularly when the person using it has no idea what the term actually means.

Go figure Tim. They hijacked the word too so you can file your Wikipedia outdated definitions in the bottom drawer. I mean the NeoCons by the now expanded definition sure as hell don't mind that they refer to themselves as Conservative obviously not knowing what the word means.

Words are added to the dictionary every year and more definitions are added to expand the word. Neo = New. NeoCon now means the "New Conservatives" that label themselves Conservatives when they really are overbearing, hateful, Phobic maniacs that give Conservatives and the Republican Party a bad name.
 TimPommell
Msg: 54
view profile
History
Posted: 11/15/2008 10:47:55 AM
Go figure Tim. They hijacked the word too so you can file your Wikipedia outdated definitions in the bottom drawer. I mean the NeoCons by the now expanded definition sure as hell don't mind that they refer to themselves as Conservative obviously not knowing what the word means.
Actually the Wikipedia definition pretty much follows the current application; although it does give a somewhat accurate history of the evolution of the term, its present loose application to traditional conservatives is far less accurate than to the conservative leaning current and former democrats. In short, it’s still more of an accurate description of blue moderates who lean right on issues of foreign policy as well as fiscal and social impact.

Words are added to the dictionary every year and more definitions are added to expand the word. Neo = New. NeoCon now means the "New Conservatives" that label themselves Conservatives when they really are overbearing, hateful, Phobic maniacs that give Conservatives and the Republican Party a bad name.
I have no objection to any category label when properly applied. If I were a Liberal, I would have no objection to being categorized as such, nor would I if I were a NeoCon, but the simple fact is, I have been a Conservative my entire adult life, so there is nothing "new" about my personal political philosophy, and nothing “new” about the premise of personal accountability, responsibility and success through hard work. There is nothing "new" about conservatives advocating basic Judeo-Christian morality as a tenet of social behavior. As a matter of fact, our judicial system is predicated on laws derived directly from the Ten Commandments … can you tell me how that equates to “new”?

If you ask me, it’s the group who redefine terms in an effort to demonize any opposition to their narrow philosophies that are the overbearing, hateful and phobic maniacs. Correct me if I’m wrong, but haven’t there been significant political philosophies in history with a similar approach to socio-economic policies whose survival depended on wiping out all philosophical opposition?
In the past 40 years we have had GOP leadership for all but 12 years, yet we have seen an end to school prayer, the specific banning of any Judeo-Christian religious displays on public property, loss of property rights, redistribution of wealth through ineffective social programs and the loss of the God given right to discipline our children in a manner consistent with our beliefs … please do take the time to explain to me how the religious right, the alleged fanatical overbearing, hateful, Phobic maniacal base of the Republican Party is exerting its will over the electorate through elected officials.

PS. Some of those outfits Ms. Palin was wearing were HOT!
 geeleebee
Msg: 55
Posted: 11/15/2008 11:03:33 AM

Obama fans are not also fans of Hillary
whatever made you think that?
if anything,, they have shown great contempt for her...

As an Obama fan, I can tell you that I am also a great admirer of Hillary Clinton, and have never shown contempt for her--even when she stood by her adulterous husband, as so many others did.

Not sure where the poster got their information, but it is incorrect.
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 56
Posted: 1/8/2015 3:19:43 PM
Governor Sarah Palin looked absolutely great in a flattering leather jacket on the news the other day.
One thing she took away from the media crush of the 2008 VP campaign was how to select quality garments.

She was illustrating how her son Trig was pictured with his service dog Jill in recent news.
Ellen DeGeneres had earlier shown her similar photo of a young owner playfully shown atop her pet.
Show ALL Forums  > Politics  >