Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 jonash2007
Msg: 212
Very High IQPage 7 of 13    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13)
I would think talking to their parents would be a good start. And reminders that they won't get far in life if they don't follow at least some rules. I had to learn that over time and I still don't like to follow the rules.
 10of6
Msg: 215
Very High IQ
Posted: 1/9/2009 4:26:22 PM
I really enjoyed the John Travolta movie, "Phenomenon."
 hurricane hanna
Msg: 217
view profile
History
Very High IQ
Posted: 1/11/2009 6:36:14 AM
I don't agree with you. Usually, a little tweaking of posts will allow them to stay onboard, and people will understand your meaning and benefit from hearing your point of view. Please don't be pressured into not posting.

Every bulletin board has different rules and different moderators. Some may have stricter ideas about what's allowed than others. It's just a matter of trying to figure out how to play on each web site.

Internet bulletin boards have technical problems from time to time too. If a whole page disappears, it's not always because a moderator intentionally removed it. Working with computers, I know it's often very common to be noodling along, doing maintenance tasks on the computer, and suddenly think, 'oh no, did I just hit that key, did I really do that?' and not being able to undo it. Too, web sites just lose saved information from time to time.

And ah...with myself, I often find...PLBKAC...problem lies between keyboard and chair...if I can't find something, I may not be looking for it correctly. I try not to get too fussed about any of it. If I look out my back door I know why everything in my yard is there, LOL, that all ends in the world of computers, LOL!
 hurricane hanna
Msg: 219
view profile
History
Very High IQ
Posted: 1/11/2009 10:21:02 AM
Quite true, but if it is some censorship, I hope that rather than being turned off about commenting, that you'd just find a way to squeak past censorship. The sad thing about internet bulletin boards is they often wind up being a collection of 'people who agree with eachother' who just reinforce eachother's beliefs, rather than finding out how many different points of view there are out there and learning to coexist with them.
 fly_boy1
Msg: 220
Very High IQ
Posted: 1/17/2009 12:58:44 AM
I happen to be one of those "gifted" people you speak of... I never graduated high school. To tell you the truth my writing ability sucks and I don’t think I could spell Mississippi without spell check... lol I always excelled at math science and history. I failed my 6th 7th and most of my 8th grade year. I was VERY active in knowledge bowl until I started playing football in the 10th grade. I even missed my 8th grade graduation in order to call a professor from UW. I was trying to disprove the theory of evolution after I came up with a real conservative number of dinosaurs that lived and died on the earth over the millions of years they claim to have lived. I couldn’t figure out why there weren’t tons more fossils around because 1000 dinosaurs roamed the earth for every square inch of land mass or something like that.

I eventually dropped out of high school when I was 17. I am now 24, a private pilot and a small business owner... don’t know for how much longer though :( ... I have worked on and am currently working on science projects that would make Bill Nye run to the hills in fear. Although a degree in physics or engineering would help me out tremendously.

Here is the problem I faced when I went to school, why do I have to do it? At the age of 14 I had more skills than 90% of the kids graduating high school and I knew it. So why for the life of me should I waste my time going through a mind numbing curriculum??? No matter how smart you are everyone gets the same degree. Even mentally retarded kids! A degree isn’t a bearing of intelligence, do a little test. Take a blank map of the world out and start asking graduates where Israel is… Or Vietnam for that matter. ;)

I now know that I have completely screwed up my chances to attend college now that I am further in life. To tell you the truth now that I am older I would love to go but to get into a good school it would take years of work being broke. I am just not going to make the commitment. Regaurdless...

The system is flawed... No matter how bad you might feel for some kids, some kids are only good for driving rail road spikes. Period! No matter how much work you put into them they lack the capacity to think a certain way. Not saying that is a bad thing, some people are great at stacking wood, landscaping yards, and moving dirt. WE NEED THEM TO MAKE OUR ECONOMIC WHEELS TURN!!! Now the students that you have that are like me are a little difficult. The education system needs to pick these kids up and LET them focus on things that INTREST THEM!!!

Think Tanks
College Courses
On the job training...

Vahn Brauhn isnt going to enjoy slicing apart Romeo and Juliet or other "great literary works of art" He might even say screw it and quit...Even if you put the kid through a repetitive science class he might fail because he doesn’t need to learn basic laws of physics 4 years in twelve. But you put a young Vauhn Brauhn in a think tank for rocket design and the next thing you know you have a kid who is capable of GREAT things. Also he is learning the best way one can, through research, trial and error.

You can’t force someone to like something... A smart kid knows the consequences for his actions, if he thinks juice is worth the squeeze he will pull the trigger and there is no turning back. No matter if the choice was better for him or not. If you want them to succeed find something that interests them, take them up to your level and challenge them to create new ideas. Don’t “teach them” theory’s they already know DISCUSS THINGS WITH THEM that no one knows…

-Jim
 bleeptwo
Msg: 221
Very High IQ
Posted: 1/17/2009 3:42:14 AM
cool post and I personaly take offense to some silly rules on posting that some moderators over use there POF given powers. Sometimes people with High IQ I mean very high are so out there we can not relate. hell at 136 to 145 as I have been tested at I sometimes get lost talking to someone of less intel but then again smarter people get lost talking to me.
 bleeptwo
Msg: 222
Very High IQ
Posted: 1/17/2009 3:43:07 AM
Yes true to who they do that sometimes. Absolute power corrupts absolutely
 compleat_man
Msg: 223
Very High IQ
Posted: 1/17/2009 8:39:34 AM
my IQ has been tested at 569

I can't even relate to any of these posts.

LMFAO
 Tomosama
Msg: 227
view profile
History
Very High IQ
Posted: 1/17/2009 4:48:07 PM
Yeah, you are trying to inspire them to learn, not teach them facts.

The idea is to sell them on learning, make it fun or somehow engaging. I had one teacher that really grabbed my attention by involving us in class projects that were more "hands-on".

This worked because when I was younger I could care less about high school, but I was bored as hell. The classes where there was something moderately entertaining or that had something I found interesting was the class I participated in.

It really depends on what sort of subject you teach....?
 Tomosama
Msg: 229
view profile
History
Very High IQ
Posted: 1/17/2009 8:50:58 PM
Also there is a considerable discussion concerning the efficacy of I.Q. tests. The very nature of Intelligence is assumed and that's something we simply don't understand.

I also have to disagree with vakyxclone....these are teenagers. You can't reason with them like they are rational human beings. These are fleshy bags of hormonal rebellion under incarceration assailed on all sides by things they don't care to know as they are immersed amongst individuals who reward behavior that is more rebellious and apathetic than their own. They are barely human at this point - and as figures in authority you can't relate to them without diminishing the very authority which can be used to compel them to listen.

Compulsory education is terrible and only serves to devalue the currency that a diploma would give you. This is the problem when you have compulsory education, the students that want to learn can never be given the attention they deserve because the students that have the most potential have to be engaged. Only in a society where education is valued due to scarcity or demand will you have both.

So yeah, don't reason with them, just try to trick them into wanting to learn to avoid boredom. Offer them two alternatives, they can either copy something over and over 20 times before the period is over or they can do this activity. Either way, if they don't turn in something at the end of the day they have to stay after school for detention for an hour...while you watch them copy something over 40 times over and over.

*shrugs* I bet you they'll do the activity.
 10of6
Msg: 232
Very High IQ
Posted: 1/18/2009 7:35:15 AM
^^^^^^ I am forming the "UberMegaMensa Club," in which I am the sole member, and the only one good enough, smart enough and doggone it loved by all enough to be a member.
 FoshFish
Msg: 236
Very High IQ
Posted: 10/26/2010 4:15:16 PM
It's not how high your IQ is, but how big your points of IQ are.
 Ubiquitous.
Msg: 237
view profile
History
Very High IQ
Posted: 10/26/2010 4:20:10 PM
Just popping in to say that manipulative, arrogant, presumptuous folks like the OP make institutions like public schooling so freaking awful sometimes.

Efforts to force children to conform to your values is both corrupt and morally bankrupt. Especially when such values are as arbitrary as "homework" and "getting into college".

If these kids don't value wasting time doing busywork at home that does absolutely nothing to stimulate them or expand their minds, then they aren't going to do it. If you want them to do things that you think are more intellectually beneficial, you are going to have to do two things: Respect them and their desire to act upon their values and get creative by finding things that interest them and are mind-expanding. Perhaps after-school projects or assignments specifically tailored to them/their abilities.

Those always worked for me.
 Ubiquitous.
Msg: 238
view profile
History
Very High IQ
Posted: 10/27/2010 1:46:53 AM
I... can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. I'm thinking yes.
 hungry_joe
Msg: 239
view profile
History
Very High IQ
Posted: 11/4/2010 3:15:26 PM
As an areospace professional I second the above remarks. Sloppy is not tolerated. You don't go to school necessarily to "learn" things but to show that you have the drive to start something then finish it. This is why he would've gotten promoted. But it also shows your potential to learn and potential to lead, because you're willing to see a task to the end.

Gadget-doc out.
 sexyisback!
Msg: 240
Very High IQ
Posted: 11/5/2010 11:31:43 AM
I think that every single psoter on POF forums has an IQ > 150 .

at least according to their own evaluation..
 hungry_joe
Msg: 241
view profile
History
Very High IQ
Posted: 11/5/2010 2:15:46 PM
I doubt I have one greater then 150 or even at 150. I'm bright I know that but not a genious by any account.
 hungry_joe
Msg: 242
view profile
History
Very High IQ
Posted: 11/5/2010 2:17:39 PM
Doubts that I have and IQ greater then 150 or even at 150, though I am bright. Now off to go pack so I can destroy some brain cells at my Alma Maters home comming game.
 Twilightslove
Msg: 243
view profile
History
Very High IQ
Posted: 11/6/2010 11:29:46 PM
I was searching for something earlier and came across this article. It made me wonder if these boys had very many friends themselves and how they got a long with others in general.

The article that I found stated that people with high intellectual IQ's sometimes have low emotional IQ's. Here's the article:

There are a number of things you can do. A lot of kids don't have natural social skills. Being intellectually bright is not the same thing as being emotionally intelligent. In fact, quite a number of people with high I.Q. happen to have very low E.Q. (emotional intelligence). However, E.Q. can be raised. Your son may need to improve a number of social skills. Ask yourself (and him!) these questions:

* Does he like his peers, or does he find them to be "beneath" him, immature, or otherwise deficient? People who like people are people-magnets. Their warm and accepting thoughts and feelings are communicated loudly and clearly to everyone around. Since everyone enjoys being swaddled in the warm embrace of positive regard, they enjoy being around people-lovers. If your son feels disdain or any other rejecting attitude toward his peers, give him some books about Jewish sages like the Baal Shem Tov, who sincerely and deeply loved every simple Jew. In the Baal Shem Tov's generation, intellectual genius was highly regarded and those who were illiterate, uneducated or unable to learn were held in very low esteem. The Baal Shem Tov made every person aware of his or her greatness as a child of G‑d, and, because of his loving attitude, became the beloved leader of the masses.
* Is he on the same page as his peers, or is he on a different plane? People spend time with others with whom they have things in common. Are his classmates into sports, certain books, games or other pastimes? If he can join them on the playing field, he becomes a "team player"—one of the guys. Otherwise, he's out in left field alone. It may be worth it to hire a "sports tutor" or whatever is needed in order for your son to be able to join the party. Similarly, he should study how his peers are dressing and grooming themselves and do the same (whether or not he likes the prevalent style). He should be sure to be clean and fresh as far as his appearance goes. Kids who are unkempt or look different are often shunned.
* Does your son know how to join a conversation, joke around, make people feel relaxed? Does he know how to pick up the phone and invite someone over? Let him use his brains to study the behavior of his peers. The popular business coach Tony Robbins was an overweight, unaccomplished, lonely man who wanted more in his life. He started to study – really study – the behavior of successful people. When he wanted to know what enabled someone to have friends, he would carefully analyze the behavior of popular people. He wanted to know how they stood, how they spoke, what they said, what they did. He would then copy what he saw and he discovered it worked just as well for him as it worked for these other people. Your son can use his advanced brain to make a scientific study of the behavior of the kids around him to see how they interact with each other and how they build and maintain friendships. He can then apply what he learns to his own behavior.
* Is your son likeable? Much has been written in the business world about "people skills." Being likeable is an important key to success in the world—in fact, it is a more powerful determinant of success than being smart. You might be able to find some appropriate reading materials in the self-help business section of your library or bookstore.
* Is your son willing to learn? There are social skills board games. These have been designed by professionals to help young people break down the skills they will need in order to be able to make a few good friends.
* Is your son willing to try everything? A mental health professional specializing in child and adolescent psychology might be able to provide assessment and counseling that can help your son build practical skills and emotional resilience.

Although it may turn out that your son never becomes super popular, by taking advantage of some of the strategies above, he should be able to make a friend or two. This can make an important positive difference to his life.
http://www.chabad.org/blogs/blog_cdo/aid/836582/jewish/My-Child-Has-No-Friends.htm

At 16 years of age most boys and girls are getting very interested in those of the opposite sex. Perhaps the work is less challenging to them. And perhaps they are having trouble establishing personal relationships on a friend level and trouble meeting girls.

More than anything I would think that they need to understand that doing the work even when it seems boring is important in establishing and maintaining good relationships.
 Twilightslove
Msg: 244
view profile
History
Very High IQ
Posted: 11/7/2010 2:33:52 PM

Many a "popular" kid has gone on to working at Palmer's Feed Store.

So you've been to San Angelo Krebby?

Truthfully I have a family full of high IQ individuals who are having trouble with socializing and while I have the ability to socialize fairly well I do not always show that. Sorely, that has made my family members less capable of making friends. I was looking for articles and websites that might help them develop those skills a bit more without trying to teach them directly. The problem with our lot is that you cannot tell anyone anything or you are trying to be critical. As I've matured and aged I don't take things as critically as I use to and the social skills came a little easier for me as my father had to be extremely social able since he owned his own business.

It is hard watching loved ones go through the aches and pains of growing without wanting to help out. My father use to send me articles in the mail of things he thought I would appreciate learning. Now with computers I do the same with emails.
 Jan Sobieski
Msg: 245
view profile
History
Very High IQ
Posted: 11/8/2010 5:17:57 AM
If we speak of someones 'emotional intelligence', are we not in danger of simply conflating the term 'intelligence' with 'talent'?

...........................................................................................................
 hungry_joe
Msg: 246
view profile
History
Very High IQ
Posted: 11/8/2010 5:18:34 PM
EI is great if your using a particular skill like sales, marketing, or anything else where you're dealing with people.

IQ Intelligence Quotiant, well that means how well you learn things, (esp. if your a French school child).

The truely successful melt the two together. Think of a high powered business man the uses his skills to build a product, then sell it. Ahem, still building residental wind turbines in the backyard. :)
 hungry_joe
Msg: 247
view profile
History
Very High IQ
Posted: 11/9/2010 2:55:37 PM
Ah Krebb it is all a matter of circumstance. I am sure the same deep thinking Professor is also quiet social at the faculity parties. Who knows he could even have the Beiver Fear and jammin to him on his i-pod into work.
 nated012
Msg: 248
Very High IQ
Posted: 11/12/2010 5:33:09 AM
"I think that every single psoter on POF forums has an IQ > 150 ."

narcissists taking web based iq test...
I would imagine most people have never had a real IQ test. I have not, don't really care.
 FoshFish
Msg: 249
Very High IQ
Posted: 11/12/2010 7:01:29 PM
"The article that I found stated that people with high intellectual IQ's sometimes have low emotional IQ's. Here's the article... etc."

Bingo.

Everything happens sometimes. Sometimes that something can happen is a lot of the times, at other times, it is a very few times, but sometimes is an expression that covers both "a lot of the times" and "very few times".

In fact, you stick that "sometimes" in there, and every claim becomes true.

Except for sometimes, when a claim does not become true even with sometimes. Like a claim that claims, "sometimes every claim that uses the conditional qualifyer of "sometimes" is a valid claim."

Please keep an ear pealed for hearing "sometimes". You know that the claim it applies to is diluted to near-meaninglessness.

Most girls in beauty pageants start their speeches and pepper it generously with the use of the word -- you guessed it -- "sometimes". There is a reason for that. It gives the claim the power of truth, while not taking away from its power of credibility.
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  >