Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Single Parents  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 untamed one
Msg: 3
Kids and Horror MoviesPage 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
Well i saw Dr Strangelove , when I was 10 , and it dealt with nuclear obliteration of the planet .. and yet lived , hmm murder is ok when it's packaged a little differently .. and then i saw MASH with a naked lady in the shower ...
 untamed one
Msg: 5
Kids and Horror Movies
Posted: 11/14/2008 2:33:58 PM
hmm , well you gotta mention that you saw little of early 70' and 80' tv :P , no SaMURAI deli >??? no Belushi :?? It's a little culture shock to rush into Saw 3 :)
 untamed one
Msg: 7
Kids and Horror Movies
Posted: 11/14/2008 2:52:44 PM
LOL yup pick up SNL 1975 Belushi making sandwiches with a sword ... comic genius ..
 Rustmouse2000
Msg: 8
Kids and Horror Movies
Posted: 11/14/2008 4:23:55 PM
I have to agree with Poshrat - you can't insulate your kids forever. If it's given in the context that these movies don't reflect reality in any way (no more than Alien Vs. Predator does), these 'Adult Fairy Tales' should remain just that, Fairy Tales (even the original Grimm tales were dark and macabre, for that matter)

The down side is that immunity to violence that the kids absorb along with these movies. I'm military, so this sort of violence, gore and death are part of my job - but the difference is that these things are all tempered with a hefty dose of duty, honor and responsibility. You are given the tools to wreak havoc, but you are also given the responsibility during training to restrain that havoc unless absolutely necessary.

Keeping both sides in mind, I don't have too much issue with my children (age 13 and 10) seeing some horror films "Hannibal", "Alien" etc. - but I try to make sure there's always a reality check when they do see them. Certain movies - "Saw" "Hostel" etc. are a bit over the top, however, and I don't allow them to watch movies that the senseless violence is really the core value of the movie.

The fact remains that you know your children, and you have to monitor their behavior to see if what they're watching is having a negative effect or not. You can tell if you need to stop their exposure, or if it is just the usual human thrill-seeking that they're fulfilling....
 freetime2bme
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Kids and Horror Movies
Posted: 11/15/2008 7:59:27 AM
My kids love watching horror movies. It is a big event for them every Friday night is DVD night, not all ways a horror movie, but often times it is. They love it and call it friday night family time. They look at it as scary fun, but most of all they look at it as together time. I do see them cover their eyes if it is bloody and they ask me if it is over yet, but they are smiling and joking about it at the same time.
 no_1_bby
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Kids and Horror Movies
Posted: 11/15/2008 10:41:55 AM
Every child is different, but I certainly wouldn't approve of my 11 yo watching those sorts of movies! I flipped out on the ex one time because he allowed my then 7/8 yo (the one that is now 11) to watch the Aliens series during a visitation. Aliens vs Predator freaked him out for months and it was a struggle at bedtime.

I don't think there is a reason why a child that age should be exposed to horror movies like that, altho some are more comedy then horror. I tend to not allow mine to watch the Adult rated movies, and will preview the PG13 before allowing it. Just depends on the topic of the movie too.

Some of those movies have spawned good discussions with my kids about what is real and what is movie magic and I often over-emphasize the movie magic part of things. Even then, if your child is more sensitive or not interested, why bother exposing them to such things?
 freetime2bme
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Kids and Horror Movies
Posted: 11/15/2008 1:31:29 PM
Me and my kids love South Park. Had a family down the street that use to dump there kids a lot knowing I was normaly home with my two. The mom said you let them watch South Park and I said yep. She said don't let my kids see that show again. I said fine just don't have them at my house on Friday or Saturday nights any more, that's the only time we watch it. Well about a week later she called and said she was sorry and it was okay for her kids to see South Park now. Who knew lol.
 freetime2bme
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Kids and Horror Movies
Posted: 11/15/2008 3:53:06 PM
My 13 year old is not even allowed to watch The Simpsons. WoW the other kids must have a field day with them.
 auntandy
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Kids and Horror Movies
Posted: 11/15/2008 9:43:00 PM
My children are 11 and 12 and I allowed them to watch Pan's Labrynth this year. I saw before they did so I prepared them and let them decide to close their eyes. But unlike other fearful movies, Pan's Labrynth is not excessive and vulgar like "Saw" and similiar. There's a difference. Pan's is artistic.

I also can't help what their dad watches (we're divorced). He lets them watch the Simpsons and Family Guy, listen to whatever he listens to and go to movies like Sweeney Todd.

They're both really good kids though. Not a violent bone in their body, they never cuss, not even allowed to say "shut up" or "stupid". At least I don't hear it. Never had a problem at school.

I guess we'll all find out in a few years how well we did!!!
 kart32
Msg: 25
Kids and Horror Movies
Posted: 11/16/2008 6:25:10 AM
I triedto send this direct but it said you dont want to talk .
All kids will explore and things of graphic nature are more out in open ,You as parent have to keep telling them they are movies.
The next thing is if they see your pics that is not a movieI enjoy seeing them but I bet your kids would not.Morals and stability come from parents.I am a parent of teenage boys and I am a year over your line .You are a dead bang fox you dont have to put on show like you have-----SORRY but thats the way I feel about movies
 sickofsolo
Msg: 29
Kids and Horror Movies
Posted: 11/16/2008 9:47:20 PM
I feel your pain!!!

I have 2 girls 13, 11 PG 14 is as restricted as they are allowed to go, WHY does everyone want to grow up so fast. So far we haven't had any issues with friends or school, but the girls know the rules and are really good about respecting them.

Some of the people that they know have watched more restrictive movies but we haven't had the push at home yet to allow it or encourge it!

Good Luck
 carolann0308
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Kids and Horror Movies
Posted: 12/28/2008 3:46:51 PM
I know a 6 year old that watches South Park and Adult Swim. Pretty bad parenting if you ask me.
My 10 year old reads Goosebumps and loves Nancy Drew but has never seen a Horror Flick as far as I know.
 packagedealx3
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Kids and Horror Movies
Posted: 1/15/2009 10:26:03 AM
It depends on the kid and the kind of movie. My boys watched the Jurassic Park movies when they were fairly young, it didn't bother them at all. My middle son and I both hate horror movies and a friend I think told him about a movie when he was around 8 and he still doesn't like taking a bath without one of the dogs in the bathroom and he is 13.

I have always based those decisons on the kids. When they were younger and watching anything violent I was always with them, still am most of the time. I don't think it impacts them by fostering aggressive behavior, quite the opposite I think. They have seen in movies that it is not always cops and bad guys but that violent things happen to other people and it is horrible.

My daughter was around 8 when she walked into the room and I was watching Rosewood, the part where they are beating blacks and burning their homes, and my first instinct was to send her from the room because it was so violent but then I thought, this actually happened and she needs to know about it. So we watched togethe and I spent probably two or three hours talking to her about slavery, the Civil Rights Movement, etc.

I have had similar conversations with my boys so I think that movies affect kids only as much as the kids and parents let them. My middle son knows that horror movies will freak him out so he stays away from them. My younger son will be 10 in April and he watches some stuff and others he doesn't really want to. My daughter is the only one that really likes horror movies so it is usually not even an issue.

I think I would also be more worried about the video games and am happy that mine didn't really start playing them much until about a year ago.

Your son sounds like me, probably never really going to get into the horror flicks, which is just fine, unless he meets a girl that is a horror movie junkie, lol.
Show ALL Forums  > Single Parents  >