Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 rdcnorm
Msg: 361
Is dressing for comfort instead of style and fashion really a crime?Page 15 of 17    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17)
are you sure SQR don't write that,,,
sounds like we should be planning our funeral real soon,,,
 rustytraveler
Msg: 362
view profile
History
Is dressing for comfort instead of style and fashion really a crime?
Posted: 12/29/2008 1:26:29 PM
I'm confused too...tho I think I dress pretty well for my age and European not American, no one can tag me as an American unless I open my mouth and then a lot of times they think I'm German.

Guess it depends on your body type and best and worst features....and taste of course ( but I hate saying that out loud when sqr might be around)
 kbodley
Msg: 363
view profile
History
Posted: 12/29/2008 7:10:32 PM
Okay folks, I'm over 50, have a chest the size of Minnesots, probably need to lose at least 30 lbs (or more, but please don't bother to point this out) and have inherited my father's family double chin (which along with my boobs arrived around the age of 15 and has just continued to grow)! So - from a fashion standpoint, I have the world's worst body to try and dress - because frankly it doesn't meet anyone's fashion criteria.

By the same token, when this subject arises among my friends, co-workers, and they guys who do notice such things - I am known as being fairly well dressed!

For me, the bottom line is that when I get dressed for any occasion I take a couple minutes and look in the mirror and assess whether or not I look the best I can for my intended destination. And - before anyone thinks that I am hung up on hair, makeup, etc. when I head to the beach for the weekend the only cosmetics that go with me are toothpaste and shampoo - and if the potential loves of my life can't handle that - well then they weren't intended for me! By the same token, when I am dressing for a night on the town - out comes the red leather blazer, high heels, and the best looking pair of jeans I can afford! Or - the sexiest top I own! Complete with makeup, earrings, and a great hairdo!

Again - it doesn't matter what your age, income, body size, shape, etc. Dress for the occasion and audience and top it all off with a confident smile and you'll look great!
 SRQManaMan
Msg: 365
Posted: 12/29/2008 7:31:16 PM
msg 343
"Disclosure: I wear short skirts sometimes. And tight black jeans with black, heeled boots. And tight tops. And I've worn them out to 5-star restaurants. My bad. But they're really nice...really!"

at 52 years of age, if you think you can get away with that, God Bless....

tight Black jeans
heeled boots
and tight tops

at 52
but they're really nice.....really
 SRQManaMan
Msg: 372
Posted: 12/30/2008 9:51:55 AM
Brooks ~

^^^^^^^^^^^^We certainly don't have to agree on anything

even though there seem to be those who bristle with divergent back-slapping

self-aggrandizing points of view...

Your points are solid, mature and well-reasoned in toto..........largely

better than snide, nasty and parochial retorts than seem to be founded

in visceral , and emotive agenda.....

As I said no one must agree...and that's a good thing.....

Clearly you may be in touch with yourself better than many many women

your stated age...
 SRQManaMan
Msg: 374
Posted: 1/2/2009 8:07:12 PM
hmmmm..........................................................................................
 joiseyboyjoe
Msg: 377
Posted: 1/3/2009 8:39:07 AM
Here's a thought why not dress for who you are not for what others want you to be! Obviously you won't take someone to dinner in cut off shorts but just be you.
 SRQManaMan
Msg: 378
Posted: 1/3/2009 9:41:33 AM
hmm

Dressing for comfort, doesn't mean looking 'sleazy'

A woman can dress comfortably, without appearing inappropriate

just as she can dress 'stylishly' without looking like trash....but

again, just look around, and there are perfect examples of stupid

dress.....and some of it is frankly horrific, and is compounded by

shopping in the Juniors' department when you're over 45.....

"Sexiness" is not a requisite either...that doesn't translate into

desirability, or even 'fashion'

Sloppiness is never the equivalent of comfort either.....especially in

public.....at home a woman can be as sloppy, or as trashy as she

wishes to dress....but the public need not be victimized and punished

due to lack of exercise of good judgment, and appropriateness.
 kbodley
Msg: 380
view profile
History
Posted: 1/3/2009 12:22:59 PM
SQ, not that you probably care, but has it ever occured to you that your consistent direction of this thread toward women is completely and totally sexist!

Both men and women should take pride in their appearance!

Both men and women should strive to respect themselves and their companions enough to dress in appropriate attire for the occasion!

Both men and women should make an effort to make sure that they don't look trashy and/or unkept!

I recently met a man who seemed to think that his hair covered bare chest, complete with a plethora of cheap gold chains, equated to "hot" and "sexy!" NOT!

So - please let's quit point the fashion finger at just the femine!
 rdcnorm
Msg: 381
Posted: 1/3/2009 1:46:34 PM

So - please let's quit point the fashion finger at just the femine!

It's funny, even though SQ, seems to point more fingers at women, he has not failed at accusing men ,, such as my self for dressing poorly.... I'm not sure if he is sexiest, but rather in a time warp,, or to rigid in his own belief, while unwilling to accept or embrace others..

I'm still,, wearing cowboy boots, jeans, and a collared shirt,,no gold chains hanging around my neck by the way,,

Kbodley,, I tried posting this in another tread, in response to drooping jeans on men, it's seems I reached my limit there..
I was going to tell you some us men kegel while we climb ladder to keep our butts in shape.. LOL I can't stand drooping jeans..........
 rdcnorm
Msg: 383
Posted: 1/3/2009 2:05:54 PM
Controlling ejaculation is a huge issue for many men, one that they are often too embarrassed to bring up. How do I control myself? How can I last longer, be firmer and do better? The answer is working out your pubococcygeus muscles (PC) muscles, by doing Kegel exercises for men.

PC muscles control the flow of semen and urine, the firmness of your penis during erection and the shooting power of your ejaculation. They are important, and if kept very strong, will see you into your golden years with a fantastical hard on. The great thing about Kegel exercises for men is that you can do them anywhere, anytime -- and nobody will know the difference.

You will be able to better control your orgasms and ejaculations, and last for longer, plus you may get the added kudos of being able to hold up a wet towel with your erection if you practice these Kegel exercises for men.

How do I know where my PC muscles are?
The easiest way to find them is to stop your flow of urine next time you go to the bathroom. Another way to isolate them is to put your finger inside your anus; when you contract the right muscles, your anus will tighten. However you decide to find them, once they are found you need to practice feeling exactly where they are located -- it is easy to overcompensate for weak muscles by using the abdominals, buttocks or thighs. These must all stay relaxed when doing Kegel exercises for men.

Now, on to the daily Kegel exercises for men.

Note: These exercises are done hands-free. You do not “squeeze” anything with your hands as they are all done with your PC muscles.
 rdcnorm
Msg: 385
Posted: 1/3/2009 2:24:48 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^ LMAO,, I'm not sure,, but with all my years of practice I could make one,,, But I would fail the dress code, that is implied that I need to wear,, I'm not sure it a my towel, is in style yet,,LOL

kbodley
Msg: 386
view profile
History
Posted: 1/3/2009 3:00:10 PM
Norm! I think I am somewhat happy that you live on the opposite coast! But - if you do make a video, please post the link so that we west coast women can refer our mates to your site for instruction purposes!!!!
 SRQManaMan
Msg: 388
Posted: 1/3/2009 6:07:07 PM
^^ low rent, low brow and hardly on topic....

but expected given some profiles
 rdcnorm
Msg: 389
Posted: 1/3/2009 6:24:05 PM
^^ no personality,highly critical,self absorbed,,hardly on topic

but expected from what you have written thus far.........
 SRQManaMan
Msg: 393
Posted: 1/3/2009 6:46:06 PM
Don't feed cyberquatters......

what's with the needless personal attacks ? if you don't like posts, the intelligent

thing to do (most times) is practically IGNORE them.....which I'm not doing in this

case because you apparently believe you have license to criticize in a low rent fashion

what you merely don't 'like'..............or can't 'control'
 Moonchild51
Msg: 399
view profile
History
Posted: 1/4/2009 2:22:04 PM
Wow! What a lot of mudslinging in this thread. And to be honest? I think you all missread the entire point of the question. It wasn't "Define Fashion". It was dressing for comfort vs fashion? Have I misread the OP'S intent or are we really all that desperate to get our points across, we missed it?
 SRQManaMan
Msg: 403
Posted: 1/5/2009 6:23:42 PM
hmm

the MidSouth always had lack of class.....

whew....
 browneyesboo
Msg: 406
Posted: 1/6/2009 1:14:04 PM
wow..i can't believe this topic went on this long.
When I first read it...I thought of the people that constantly walk around
in sweat pants and tshirts (you know who you are)...and while people are
certainly comfortable...I don't know when it became okei to walk around
like that. I also understand the point about older people dressing way too
young. I think people took things too personally...and as usual the thread
turned into a way to toot one's own horn. Why do people take this so
personally? SOME people do dress like crap when they go out...I don't
care...but you will be noticed. SOME people do overdress when they go
out...again I don't care...but you will be noticed. SOME people LOVE to
get dressed up when they go out...just because it makes them feel good...
so what? Is dressing for comfort instead of style and fashion really a crime?
Yes it is...depending on what your comfort level is. Dressing is like anything
else...you can do what you want...just don't expect people to NOT comment
on it.
I suspect SRQmanman or whatever his name was...is from a time when people
loved to dress up when they went out...and wouldn't be caught dead wearing
their pajamas outside. I wear them sometimes...but i usually tell people its
because I lost a bet. If that makes me snobby or an elitist or whatever...so be it
there is a time and a place for everything.
 Brownlady1953
Msg: 407
Posted: 1/6/2009 5:32:40 PM
"Just because you can get your butt into those jeans doen't mean they are the right ones for your body type."

AMEN, AMEN, AMEN, AMEN, AMEN, AMEN, AMEN, AMEN, AMEN, AMEN!!!!!!
 screenangel
Msg: 408
view profile
History
Posted: 1/6/2009 5:40:49 PM
Gee...I don't know....!? If I'm going to be "comfortable",then, I'm probably going to be stylishly and fashionably dressed! I'm VERY uncomfortable when I'm not well dressed!
 kbodley
Msg: 410
view profile
History
Posted: 1/6/2009 9:11:43 PM
I agree, LastPariah! I am reminded of the time that my great aunt Maude arrived at our house in Montana for a visit! At the ripe old age of 16, I was under the impression that I need not get "dressed up" for Aunt Maude's visit - after all she was my grandmother's sister - an old lady - and not really up there on my scale of someone I would get dressed up for!

Aunt Maude arrived and when I ran out of the house to greet her as she got out of the car, she gave me a lovely hug and whispered in my ear, "That's all right dear, I'm sure that you must have been cleaning house and lost track of the time. I'll just make myself comfortable while you clean up and get presentable." With a quick hug, she patted me on the head and proceeded into the house - after very politely putting me right into my place! Needless to say, I went directly to my room, shed the cutoffs and T-shirt before I returned to the living room to enjoy my visit!

If you want to show someone (even yourself) respect and courtesy - the easiest way to do so is to show them you cared enough to spend more than five minutes dressing for their company!
 rdcnorm
Msg: 411
Posted: 1/6/2009 9:19:14 PM
^^^^ young lady,"with respect", you just crack me up,, I love reading your stories,,,
 Moonchild51
Msg: 412
view profile
History
Posted: 1/6/2009 9:48:37 PM

If you want to show someone (even yourself) respect and courtesy - the easiest way to do so is to show them you cared enough to spend more than five minutes dressing for their company!

^^And therein lies the entire thought process behind this thread! Thank you for that darlin!
 A Moment in Time
Msg: 415
Posted: 1/7/2009 5:14:41 PM
You can buy shoes and clothes that are comfortable but still very sexy and attractive. I enjoy dressing up when i go out it makes me feel good about myself and its nice when people notice.

If you are going on a long trip you can get clothese that are comfortable but also look good on you, or as someone else suggested bring a change of clothes and change, freshen up before you go on the date, I love a man who is clean, smells good and has put some effort in getting ready to go out. That can be jeans and a nice shirt.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  >