Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 rdcnorm
Msg: 138
Is dressing for comfort instead of style and fashion really a crime?Page 2 of 17    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17)

As to the comments about sexy? I would rather be called sensual than sexy any day. Sexy is an act and sensual is an attitude.

It's interesting you say that, I too,, agree, sensuality flows from within, (not flaunting)what is really nice about that, is, it is the true woman I see, not the cloths she is wearing, or her attempt to be sexy, (attempting is so unattractive) yet her sexuality is expressed as a sensual aura,,

Therefore saying to my lady, when she dresses for me lets say, or in a pair of jeans, I already know she is sensual just buy her unpretentious attitude., but I'd say to her,, babe, you look hot, or sexy. She would know what I meant, and not be viewed as an object, but rather the woman that she is..
 kilgoretrout103
Msg: 139
view profile
History
Is dressing for comfort instead of style and fashion really a crime?
Posted: 12/17/2008 6:45:01 AM
I would guess that there are as many answers to this as there are people and, judging from the posts so far, it looks like that's true. In my opinion, there are so many variations - depending on local culture, climate, even finances - that it's hard to say what "dressed to the nines" even is. I live in Maine, where khakis and Bean Boots qualify as "office casual," so I take all of this with a grain of salt anyway. Shouldn't dress be apropriate to context (event, venue, season, weather) rather than what some magazine says "style" is? Mostly, I want to be looking at someone who's comfortable and happy. Now, that's attractive.

On the related note of dressing sexy, that spans a broad spectrum of personal taste as well. Someone once told me that the one thing she got out of high school Latin was concocting the phrase, "e disgustibus non disputatum," which she loosely translated as, "there's no accounting for taste." True that. Personally, I've never understood the fascination with lingerie, for example, although I know it represents the quintessence of sexual stimulation for some folks. Being an old hippie, I get most turned on by knowing she's got nothing on under that long skirt. Of course, his and hers birthday suits are the absolute best.
 rustytraveler
Msg: 140
view profile
History
Posted: 12/17/2008 9:25:03 AM
Vonnegut lover ......thanks for gettin' the drift.
I mean, that was the point... are they wanting to hook up with clothing, hairdos and cleavage..... or people =-/?
 whytwater
Msg: 141
Posted: 12/17/2008 9:37:03 AM

[" pique is not the correct response."]
Excuse me whytwater.....but just where did you find the pique in anything I said???? Am I misunderstanding here?

Wasn't directing the pique comment your way, Rusty. Just that I usually applaud things that work, whether it's a post on the forum pages, or a woman who presents well IRL. My accollades are not designed to conquer, just to say "Well Done!" But on too many occasions, I've gotten a snarl in reply. Sigh. Maybe I'm still stubbornly trying to make that lead-by-example technique the Navy taught me work. Didn't work on my daughters either. Lol.
 rustytraveler
Msg: 142
view profile
History
Posted: 12/17/2008 9:52:00 AM
Didn't hear any "Well Done" there, quite the opposite... and I 'was' leading by example and you didn't follow either.... ..... you also know full well everyone has a different type of tea that they prefer in their cup.
No heels and comfortable does not necessarily mean dumpy and frumpy, it's not that hard to be stylish and comfy these days.
Maybe you loved Donna Reeds pearls and little frilly apron that went along with her heels?
 whytwater
Msg: 143
Posted: 12/17/2008 9:57:33 AM
^^^^^^^^^ Wait! Wait! Don't spank me for something I haven't done! Lol.

Maybe you loved Donna Reeds pearls and little frilly apron that went along with her heels?

Hmm, Donna Reed never moved me, but the apron in heels, accessorized by pearls and nothing more would impress the hell out me! Lol. I answer the door in jeans and a sweatshirt (legs/sleeves cut off when it's warm). Barefooted. I add footwear to go out. Yep. Bush dress/mufti. Complements my jeep. I encourage comfort in all things. If your outfitted anything like I am, we WILL be havin' some fun.
Btw, Well Done!
 rustytraveler
Msg: 144
view profile
History
Posted: 12/17/2008 10:02:53 AM
[Maybe you loved Donna Reeds pearls and little frilly apron that went along with her heels?]
He he he ...gotta keep a handle on your words bud, eyes are always watching .
 SRQManaMan
Msg: 150
Posted: 12/17/2008 11:19:44 AM
Contrary to current belief, 'clothes [can] do make the man [woman]'

It remains a viable societal component on how we successfully (or not) matriculate
in a civil society.

Societal norms are set by many factors...culture, religion, 'peer pressure', and even the climate.

There still exists a thing called 'appropriateness' in even how we present outserves outwardly to others, or the 'group'.....to ignore that is indeed sophomoric.

No responsible parent wants her 15 year old daughter standing at the school bustop wearing a lingerie top, a micro-mini skirt, and 4 inch heels, while waiting on the school bus...or attending class..........of course I've seen just that.

Similarly, there are those women 45-50 who think that buying clothes in the juniors or preteens department, or wearing midriff tops, micro-minis with five inch spike heels, sporting a newly-minted butt tattoo, is 'de riguer' and appropriate also.

Clearly some dressers don't have a clue....others are a 'slave to fashion'.....and still others don't accept the 'age component' in what is truly 'fashionable' and appropriate.

For example, fat women simply can't get away with wearing bare midriff halter tops, mid-thigh micros, hip-huggin jeans all the while punishing a delicate sphaghetti strapped pair of mules.............but again, I've seen such foolishness....again, the women are oblivious to the facts about, 'comfort', 'style', 'appropriateness', and 'fashion'.

A mature stylish woman knows better than to adopt the immaturity of a 22 year old in dress...........or at least she SHOULD.

Many women on here even obviously do not own a full-length mirror, and some don't have a sense of timing OR fashion combined with 'comfort'.
 SRQManaMan
Msg: 153
Posted: 12/17/2008 11:50:19 AM
it seems perfectly clear that many women, in fact, don't care about much of anything

in the way of self-presentation........or what others in society 'think'......therein lies

the crux of the entire problem.....

looking around me constantly, that attitude is obviously shared by more than

what I would choose to think possible......

Exposure, education, standards, and guidelines.....even 'rules' .....exist for those

you truly understand an ethical, fair, and intelligent yet developing society.

All 'change' (even in standards of dress) is not necessarily 'good'.....not only not

good for a particular woman, but for even all women as a defined group within

a culture.

"Dress" and culture seem inextricably tied........I suspect it shall always be that way.

It appears that when 'culture' disintegrates, 'dress' is soon to follow........the first

place we witness that seems to be in the home.....with mothers first....then their

female children.....again. simply look around.

The constant exercise of common sense and intelligence seem to be the pillars of 'true fashion'....................at least for a truly 'thinking' woman.
 SRQManaMan
Msg: 154
Posted: 12/17/2008 11:58:13 AM
""Sorry, I haven't seen the "matronly" department in a while. There's not much difference between Juniors and Misses except for cut."""

^^^^

Therein lies the basis of a greater societal problem. "Dress" should connote more than just "style"

No thirteen year old should adopt the physical trappings of a thirty year old grown woman.....just like a forty-five year old woman should not wear pigtails, berrets, and ribbons...

Even a year possesses 'seasons', the moon, 'phases'
 rdcnorm
Msg: 157
Posted: 12/17/2008 12:19:56 PM
Geeze,, The way men and women dress should be a personal choice, what society deems normal, should not take away someones right to individulality,,their right to choose. Sure some dress in poor taste, but that would just be my opinion, where as another may like that style,

Personally I can't stand the fact, that we need rules, or opinions opposed by the masses to make choices for the the one who what to rebellious,.and do their own thing,,their is no harm in that, of course unless it's the intent to harm others,

In my younger days, I used to think if I went to a wake, I needed /wanted to wear a suit,, I still do, what changed my mind on appropriate dress with this,, I couldn't go home and shower, put on a suit, embarrassed as I was. I went to the wake, apologized to my friend for my work cloths, my friend said, we respect you, and you coming here to show your respects..

It's not the cloths that make the person,, it's their values that make the person...

My opinion, dress to what makes you feel good about your self, who cares what other think....... I don't...
 Brownlady1953
Msg: 160
Posted: 12/17/2008 3:02:26 PM
I am 4'11", and have never, and will never wear high heels...

I'm a "tall" enough woman without them! And my feet love me for it!
 fancynanci
Msg: 161
view profile
History
Posted: 12/17/2008 4:11:53 PM
I wear my silk and lace in the cold of winter - I just wear a warm coat when I go outside.
 rdcnorm
Msg: 163
Posted: 12/17/2008 5:11:01 PM

I wear my silk and lace in the cold of winter - I just wear a warm coat when I go outside.

knock knock,, is that you at my door,,

Comfort is going commando, when I'm not working,,,
 SRQManaMan
Msg: 169
Posted: 12/18/2008 9:43:02 AM
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own set of facts...

Facts are there are reasonable societal 'rules' about 'dress' whether you choose to be flip about it or not. That's what civilized societies DO.....we establish common mores, common accepted practices.........ergo laws. Admittedly there are no firm 'rules of fashion' to be sure......

But, to be sure, there exists many 'rules' of 'dress. Among them in our current society is the 'accepted rule' is that you don't walk around in public nude. Although certainly not encassed in Bibical 'stone', that seems to be a 'rule' indeed.

Another perhaps might be that in our current society, reasonable and civilized women, don't wear see-through garments...........this is quite different from the fashion 'idiot' they may choose to wear a plaid shirt with a striped tie with orange socks.....(which is his business alone)..............Society does impose standards and its will, much to the chagrin of people who are so hellbent on 'being selfish' that they actually believe that their own 'individuality' trumps the standard of the overall 'good' of the 'collective'.....................I assure you it does not most times....

It seems sopohomoric to suggest that we don't establish, and LIVE by 'rules'....'rules' of 'dress', or 'demeanor', even 'rules of conduct'.........even courts themselves establish 'rules of conduct'......some formal, some less formal................for example, in many court jurisdictions, RULES are established in PRINT about how officers of the court are to be 'dressed' during hearings and other activities of the court in PUBLIC, and even in private.

Sometimes there is a fine line between committing 'fashion faux pas', and complete and utter disregard for community standards which are shaped by many many reasonable and fair considerations. We do not live 'alone'.....our society is a collective made from individuals............our collective sanity is measured on how well we 'adapt'.

Individual expressions of 'liberty', 'freedom' etc are most times a good thing. Clearly we have no need for 'fashion police'..........but again, let's be careful about confusing 'fashion', with established (community) standards of 'behvior through dress'.

It can, however, become a very very slippery slope. For example........for me I find it inappropriate for anyone to show up in any house of worship, wearing jean cutoffs, a tank top, 'wife-beater', and flip-flops............but yes, I have seen that too........I've seen women show up with halter tops as well.......................these are the same people who proclaim that "God" doesn't look at what they wear to church or temple, and that "God" is only 'looking at their soul'..............frankly I can't speak for 'God', but these attendees are the same people who would not dare show up to their friends' wedding dressed like clowns, in the same church or house of worship...................without societal 'rules' with concern for the collective, some careless and irresponsible, fringe individuals can actually damage, even ruin civil sociceties..........................I suppose an argument could be made about the advent of some genres of 'rap music' as well in re the 'affectation' or proliferation of the concern of the 'individual', sans the collective.

Society, en masse, does not beneift from the dismantling of reasonable 'rules'......even in female 'dress'. In my view, there is nothing redemptive about having your teenage daughter dress like Brtiney Spears, or to see a mature and thoughful woman well over
40, attempt to adopt the trappings of a 22 year-old college coed........butt tattoo and all.

The 'objective' for a "Mom" perhaps should be developing the 'wisdom' that perhaps there was, and is a reason why Mom's pants [jeans] were developed in the first place

There are many reasons why 'rules' exist.....and most of them exist for the good of the 'collective'.....otherwise anarchy prevails..............I would submit that once anarchy takes hold in one segment of society, other areas will soon come under assault..............."Dress" within a culture, seems no different, and it obviously is at
risk..............just look around you, or in you own closet........lingerie tops worn as everyday streetwear ??

Les jeux sont fais.............
 rdcnorm
Msg: 172
Posted: 12/18/2008 10:39:01 AM
srg
I would say this forum was and is about, dressing for comfort or style, Not about whether an man or a woman dresses inopportunely in some one else's view.

It's not about God or the courts or society as a rule, and if it were, there would be censorship as we speak by our governments telling the designers what style off clothing is approaite for society. As for society, if society were not buying those cloths you suggest, then the designers would stop designing that style of clothing. But that is not the case..

Appropriate dress I agree, as well as most men and women in this forum would agree. I also would suggest most of us know the differace,

Dress code is another issue, that in not about our style or comfort as this forum is about. However, those dress codes are established by companies, Church's, schools and other social gathering places etc... I believe most of us know the difference..

Now for the ones that don't know, or refuse to conform, the will be rejected by the above mentioned.

your opinion on church I respect, mine differs,,

for me I find it inappropriate for anyone to show up in any house of worship, wearing jean cutoffs, a tank top, 'wife-beater', and flip-flops............but yes, I have seen that too.

I don't dress like you mentioned, but if I did, and I was standing outside and felt I had the need to visit my God in his so called home. I should feel uncomfortable because of the way I dressed,, I think not,, my understanding is, all are welcome. I would also suggest the poor, or less fortunate my have no other choice, than to where their style of clothing. I my self will not speak for God. Yet I feel you have judged for him what is approitate dress for church,, I wonder if a family of six prying in there run down home, little food or clothing, will be turned away by God, Yet,, Our society disregards them on a daily basic,,, While they attending their social gathering dressed to the nines.. Or while or government bails out the auto companies and banks, all while the society as a whole is suffers. But of a select few, who are dressed appropriately while they steal and take advantage of the common worker,.. all this is off topic, yet I guess now we have moved from comfort to what a social society is,, shakes head...

I dress for what works for me..
 SRQManaMan
Msg: 175
Posted: 12/18/2008 10:54:06 AM
""It chaps my butt when men give women fashion advice!""

^^^^^^^^^^^^

Most reasonably educated women certainly already know that many

if not most of the top designers of women's clothes, have been in fact

men......

"Fashion advice" is not the exclusive domain of one gender. It is revealing
indeed for any alleged exposed (no pun intended) woman to remotely suggest
such a clearly specious notion......but as stated earlier everyone has their own narrow opinion.

Memphis ?..... I see......

Happy Holidays
 rustytraveler
Msg: 176
view profile
History
Posted: 12/18/2008 11:02:05 AM
To each his own..... even I sometimes wish my toes didn't all scrunch down and maul each other and that my arches didn't hurt if I wear heels for a half hour and I've always wanted to be 3" taller... then again you haven't seen me walk in 'em either.... scary.
But I do always paint my toenails a discrete shade of corral when in my designer flip flops, does that count?
 GeneralizingNow
Msg: 180
Posted: 12/18/2008 11:50:08 AM
I'm sorry, but if your wardrobe includes butt chaps, it IS a crime.
 SRQManaMan
Msg: 184
Posted: 12/18/2008 6:38:12 PM
Amazing stuff....scary , but still amazing.....

Memphis still sux as I said in a private email.....

and if you actually think as you said, Sarasota is just full of double wide trailers,

then clearly you don't have a clue not only about fashion, but nothing about

Sarasota, FL......methinks I'll choose living here, than in freekin Memphis, TN

truly odd stuff.......throw your rocks, then block.......revealing stuff MsMemphis

so much for intelligent discourse from MammFiss
 SRQManaMan
Msg: 185
Posted: 12/18/2008 6:48:26 PM
a quote from you:

""" What I recall of Sarasota is double-wide trailers full of seniors. I'm originally from New England and find your pretentiousness appalling.'''''

obviously, you Ms Memphis, know nothing about Sarasota, Florida, and of course nothing about me or the divergent point of view that was being offered.......

we don't have to think the same......discourse is a good thing, for thinking and mature people.

Happy Holidays !!
 rdcnorm
Msg: 189
Posted: 12/19/2008 3:09:46 PM
lighting
I'm not sure what your saying to me,,
I did say this, as it relates to church and a comment to another poster..

I would also suggest the poor, or less fortunate my have no other choice, than to wear their style of clothing. "

I do agree with a few of the thing you mentioned,, however I was relating my comment to society -dress code, and why it should not apply to church..I agree with we learn from our parents,, yet there are many, many , men and women who can raise above any misfortunes that they many have experience as a child... this so far off topic..I just wanted to comment...
 SRQManaMan
Msg: 190
Posted: 12/19/2008 6:37:15 PM
the salient point it seems is that community codes..including dress exist for a reason............

no one blames some one that is poor...who enters a house of worship....they in fact

have a rational 'reason' for their dress in a house of worship......lazy, arrogant or

indifferent people deserve more srcutiny.....and the psuedo-religious that hold

that 'respect' of community values, standards and 'custom' flies in the face of

piety........even the pious have responsibilities to evoke 'piety'.....even false piety....

"Dress" is a very important component of civilized societies.......'civilized' being the

operative word...................blatant disregard or disdain for societal 'norms' viz

'dress' and presentation, shows a primitive yet callous interpretation of accepted

behavior within the context of 'community'.

No rational female should walk into a house of worship...in the act of 'worshipping'

naked, or dressed in a fashion that is anti-community 'standard'...unless of course

the comunity standard IS in fact, arriving NAKeD..........or similar......again, the

collective seems to dictate the community norm.....................

But of course, I've seen all kinds of indifferent, aberrant, "individual" behavior ............

and some, don't seem to have common sense that God gave them......and surely

they are exercising freedom, but they fail to understand the precepts and underlying

principles of what holds a society together.....which doesn't make them ignorant....

but stupid.
 SRQManaMan
Msg: 200
Posted: 12/20/2008 8:26:20 PM
It seems convenietly simplistic to offer up shallow and feeble reasoning not to

accept certain axioms of established society, and its dictates.

Simplistic reasoning is...well.....simplistic.

Society holds, and develops complex values....steeped no only in 'tradition', but in 'moral' thought held by the majority.......

Although the 'minority' is free to exercise 'freedom' in re "dress".....the majority reserves the ability to establish stated 'norms' and 'implied' norms.....to ignore this reality seems to fly in the face of wisdom and common sense.

"Dress"....traditionally....has NEVER been a component of 'individualism' in a civil society.....the opposite is quite true........if there is an element of that now, I would submit that is a fairly new phenonmenon, with certainly no roots in older established , and stable societies.

Social 'order' is certainly not a function of "dress"........"dress" however can, and does sometimes reflect "social order"......in many cultures worldwide........The United States of America is not yet in a 'position' from a historical perspective and 'seasoning' to offer up a cohesive , traditional 'framework' for contemplation on these things......................we are too preoccupied it seems with a willynilly laissez-faire perception and acceptance of what is 'right' and what is 'wrong', ergo we have no
standards......and worse yet, we are fearful to accept (even reject) those standards that have come before us..............this does not seem to be emblematic of a truly thinking society........................especially one that seems obviously reliant on the leadership of our mothers, our wives, our sisters, and our daughters.

"Dressing for comfort" in lieu of fashion is certainly not a crime..........

Dressing with no respect to common sense, and societal norms perhaps SHOULD be a "'crime"...........

In my view, women should set the example for families and society.....and for the most part, that 'duty' is performed well.......but look around you.......there is some evidence of the job not well done.......for our female children......especially...........

Again....look around you.....women have more of an obligation to teach....to lead....to maintain the sanctity of the family....it is the crux of our civilization......

Every woman already knows that any man is "visual"...........that is factual. It remains incumbent on the leaders of this 'society of man' to fully understand how to preserve, and yes, 'shape' our culture, in an overt effort not to debase it.......through deed, or through 'image'. Image counts..........just ask your daughter.
 *mae* flowers
Msg: 201
Posted: 12/20/2008 8:37:02 PM

In my view, women should set the example for families and society.....and for the most part, that 'duty' is performed well.......but look around you.......there is some evidence of the job not well done.......for our female children......especially...........

Again....look around you.....women have more of an obligation to teach....to lead....to maintain the sanctity of the family....it is the crux of our civilization......

...If that fails....just watch "What Not To Wear" on TLC Friday nights

...maeflowers
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  >