Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 rustytraveler
Msg: 316
Is dressing for comfort instead of style and fashion really a crime?Page 5 of 17    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17)
"Definition of Debate;
To discuss the pros and cons of an issue
A discussion in which reasons are advanced for and against some proposition or proposal.
The purpose of Discussion is to interpret your results, that is, to explain, analyze, and compare them."

You've voiced an opinion Srq in the forums which had nothing to do with the opening question...yet rebuttal to your issues have been offered, for the most part in the majority, but you have shown yourself to be petty and close minded and incapable of discussion of the ISSUES by bringing up superfluous personal insults that have nothing to do with the topic and then whine that 'we're' making it personal Frankly I think your manners are deplorable, which is why people are finding fault with your weak defenses... because they are just that, weak. Having a personal pet peeve is not a position.

You argue like a back alley cat (because 'I' said so), not as the intelligent barrister you claim to be, who should know how to research and defend a position as no one else here among the masses of John and Jane Doe's ....and frankly you haven't done your homework and can't even 'win' here with the filthy rabble, how on earth are you making it with your apparently rarified clientele ...... ahh..maybe by how you dress and the appropriate boot licking to a lifestyle that's all about self aggrandizement and rationalization of privilege? Too sad really.... all this show and so little substance.
 Brownlady1953
Msg: 317
Is dressing for comfort instead of style and fashion really a crime?
Posted: 12/28/2008 6:01:47 AM
Growing up as a little black (they called us "colored" back then) girl in the 1950's and 1960's, I loved watching my aunts and other ladies "dress up" to go out on the town, and couldn't wait until I was old enough to do so, too. And the men, in their fine suits and hats.....ooh lala!

Trouble is, by the time I became "old enough", folks thought "dressing up" meant that you ironed your jeans......

Yep, I wear 'em, (jeans) but I LOVE glamour and being dressing in a feminine manner.......and I never make the "mistake" of calling them "dressy".....
 Brownlady1953
Msg: 318
Posted: 12/28/2008 6:03:53 AM
Some of the clothes that folks wear now and call "dressy" -- well, I wouldn't wear that crap to scrub the kitchen floor in...

And they pay "good money" for those rags, too..
 SRQManaMan
Msg: 323
Posted: 12/28/2008 7:55:19 AM
~on topic

no crime, but meshuggenehs probably don't know the difference....

Looking around, I see a lot of 'trash' cleverly cloaked as 'comfort'....

really, just look around......absolute trash...or they

buy their clothes at Acme Tent and Awning
 SRQManaMan
Msg: 326
Posted: 12/28/2008 9:20:14 AM
hmmm

There are high profile people who are meshuggenehs as well.....

hillbillies, rednecks, gangsta rap stars, the list is endless
 rdcnorm
Msg: 328
Posted: 12/28/2008 10:02:12 AM

Looking around, I see a lot of 'trash' cleverly cloaked as 'comfort'....

really, just look around......absolute trash

Now I have looked around, I don't see what your looking at,, unless it's you in the mirror that you see,, You do nothing but trash people who do not agree with your righteous attitude. I would suggest many so called Kings have fallen because they loose the common sense to appreciate the kingdom and the people around them.. It must be awful for you,, to see the world as you think you know it, slip to a state of disgust in your view. But you would rather defend yourself, righteous views, not by listening to others, but rather you feeble attempt to belittle the common men and women by their style of dress,,

I don't know if I were rich if my style of dress would change, but your suggesting many who do not have the access to wealth, even a higher education, are not worthy of eating in a five star restaurant, attending church. It is people like you who resist change, even though the masses are suggesting, comfort is more important than style, although most have said, they dress appropriately for the occasion,, that you so disrespectfully disapprove of,,

You have suggest, women should were heals when they get dresses up, even if they are a tall, basically the should just gut it up and look good according to your standards, Have you considered, that some women may not wear heals because of leg issues, or should they get a doctors excuse from you first. But I think not,, because it's really none of your business why or why not someone chooses to wear heals,,

Lets talk about me, have you never consider I wear cowboy boots because I have a weak ankle, and not only would I get support form the ace bandage, but from boot it's self,, no I don't have that issues, but I have worn ace bandages with work boots for support when I used to climb telephone poles......

Again your the first to criticize on grammar and the English language..yet you your self have failed, as you suggest those of use who didn't attend collage are less of a person than you...collage nay not have been in their future,, for many reasons that don't need to be discussed.

Again have you ever consider some one may have a learning disability,
Such as dyslexic, add that to a speech impediment,, and there could be some issues in sounding out words, then to write those word,, I'd say that would be challenge..but I really don't know..

None of what I wrote has any importance, because I'm talking about the a low minority,, But it's because of the minority, you seem so quick to judge, without considering them as a person first. By generalizing with your disrespectful statements,

You may have traveled the world, but you are not aware it exists out side your mirror that you look into,, I would suggest you have experienced much in your life, but failed to learn about people and how to treat them respect,

It takes a better man, you don't have to accept someones views, but rather to accept they are not your views, therefore it would be better to respect their views not as your own, Now I do accept and respect your views, the problem I do have is, I can't accept the condescending tone and remarks that you are better than the rest,,, while you attempt to belittle people..while suggesting their is something wrong with us,

If you believe anything you wrote, you mentioned rules, society, community, majority,etc..

If that is true, here in this forum, it apparent that the community is right as the majority rules, as it has been shown in the real world we are correct in the way we dress,, it's our choice,,,, I' d say concede,, as I once offered the white flag..wouldn't life be so much better..
 kbodley
Msg: 329
view profile
History
Posted: 12/28/2008 11:01:27 AM
Couldn't agree with you more, "Norm!"

As my grandma used to remind us, "Children, the true sign of class is that you learn how in include everyone, and exclude no one - unless they are showing a decided lack of class - then you have your uncles throw them out in the barnyard and send them on their way!"

By the way, my grandma never attended church without her hat, her heels, her purse and her gloves. I have many pictures of grandma flipping pancakes over the campfires in the Flathead Lake country, wearing a clean apron, a nicely pressed housedress, and flannel lined jeans under her skirt! She and her sisters were raised as proper ladies, and they expected good manners from all of their children and grandchildren! Those manner would never have allowed anyone to be put down, or excluded, for what they were wearing - but bigots and narrow minded idiots were quickly put in their place!
 rustytraveler
Msg: 330
Posted: 12/28/2008 11:08:30 AM
Well put Norm and kbodley .
 rdcnorm
Msg: 333
Posted: 12/28/2008 11:30:43 AM
thank you,, ladies,,
I appreciate the fact you made it through my spelling and grammar errors.. nothing to be proud of but I do my best...
 rustytraveler
Msg: 335
Posted: 12/28/2008 11:35:05 AM
We don't mind spelling errors.....because a gentleman is a gentleman, no matter where he goes or what he wears .
 kbodley
Msg: 342
view profile
History
Posted: 12/28/2008 1:10:52 PM
In my 20's I wore no less than 4" heels at all times, trying to achieve enough height so that the men I worked with would look me in the eyes instead of over my head or down at my boobs (even in my teens they entered the room two seconds ahead of the rest of my body)!

After developing several foot problems, I surrendered to a more realistic heel height, but have to admit that on those certain nights when I want to feel like I'm the center of attention, I still long for those good ole fashioned high rise heels!

That being the case, I think that the manner that you dress expresses who you are - and anyone can be beautifully and appropriately dressed on any budget, with any body shape, for any situation. The key is love yourself and the body you have. Dress for the occasion as you feel comortable and appropriate. Be considerate and accommodate the sensibilities of those whose opinions you care about! (If I knew that my date was uncomfortable with extremely suggestive dress, I would tone it down. By the same token, I used to date someone that loved to know that when he walked into a club, every man in the place was wishing he could trade places! I did my best to accommodate his ego - because we both knew that at the end of the evening, I only had eyes for him!)

As for me, while a man in a well fitting (note the well fitting) pair of jeans and a good pair of cowboy boots will certainly raise my temperature, I would hope that he possesses a pair of dress Tony Lamas, and a well fitting dress shirt with pearl buttons for those events which require a more polished white hat!
 rdcnorm
Msg: 343
Posted: 12/28/2008 1:25:33 PM

Show her that you can be the best parent for your child and that you do not expect her to do any work. Prove it to her; she will stay.

with the exception of the white hat and the pearls buttons,, I'll trade the the dress shirt for a light pink, as for the other dress pants, no clue, but I do own some nice pants,, however, I have no issues with my lady buying me cloths, she would like me to wear..
 rdcnorm
Msg: 344
Posted: 12/28/2008 1:27:19 PM
opps on my last post,, wrong forum..

As for me, while a man in a well fitting (note the well fitting) pair of jeans and a good pair of cowboy boots will certainly raise my temperature, I would hope that he possesses a pair of dress Tony Lamas, and a well fitting dress shirt with pearl buttons for those events which require a more polished white hat!

with the exception of the white hat and the pearls buttons,, I'll trade the the dress shirt for a light pink, as for the other dress pants, no clue, but I do own some nice pants,, however, I have no issues with my lady buying me cloths, she would like me to wear..
 ankkka
Msg: 351
Posted: 12/28/2008 6:15:12 PM
A jacket...or a tent...
Sometimes bra looks like a tent...just for comfort...not for style.
 Soulsister47
Msg: 353
view profile
History
Posted: 12/29/2008 6:24:04 AM
I can say that I know what kind of heels look good with the dress Im wearing. You are just not going to catch me wearing a 5" fm shoe. Thats just not me. Im definitely not appologizing for my height. I love being tall, is one of the things that makes me who I am. I use to be a model, back in the day so I know a little bit about what looks good and is fashionable, but thanks very much for the great advise that has been given in this thread. I love to dress up and to me there is nothing more elegant thatn a woman in a nice elegant black dress. No woman can go wrong with that. Wishing everyone a Happy New Year!!!
 SRQManaMan
Msg: 354
Posted: 12/29/2008 11:28:13 AM
Ted/moon

Ted, that's the point indeed....there is a TIME and place for everything..that

should seem inarguable...perhaps not to those women (or men) who are simply

hellbent , on violating common sense..................and you would 'think' that maturing

women, especially those well over 45, would know this by mid-life.....but no, there

are those that are in denial....about occasion, about appropriateness, about fashion

and about what 'works on them, and not on the dumb manequin' ( and manequins of

course have no 'age'....that's why it may look good on the manequins)... But some

women and men, simply can't let go over 45....I mean letting 'go' of styles, fashions,

cuts, 'do's' that are CLEARLY meant for a woman one-half her age.........it only

works 'in her head', or with other women in the same 'era' looking on because it

reinforces their own terrbile mistakes which they commit.....they can say " Look,

she looks good in that", knowing all the while she really doesn't.....but it's a 'mutual

admiration society' of poor judgment.............

MOON~

Yes yes, there is something wonderful about a simple black dress...or even a
not-s0- simple one........but stay away from 'metal'....any metal...and never those
awful exposed metal zippers on.... any clothing.....unless of course you ride with
the Hell's Angels ....then of course you may have other more pressing issues.

mich/ANN~

your comments deserve some attention indeed, I like the profile
 Soulsister47
Msg: 356
view profile
History
Posted: 12/29/2008 11:57:12 AM
MOON~

Yes yes, there is something wonderful about a simple black dress...or even a
not-s0- simple one........but stay away from 'metal'....any metal...and never those
awful exposed metal zippers on.... any clothing.....unless of course you ride with
the Hell's Angels ....then of course you may have other more pressing issues.

I find your comments hilariouss SQR...First of all I love riding motorcycles. It gives me a great feeling/sensation to have the wind in my face and I get this awesome feeling of serenity, peace and freedom. I am a very simple lady and dress moderately conservative. You would never catch me wearing metal or metal zippers. And I don't know any members that belong to the Hells Angels, that I know of. So no worries about more pressing issues.
 rdcnorm
Msg: 359
Posted: 12/29/2008 12:56:52 PM
I agree there is a time and place for everything.. but you don't have to lose comfort to look good..
As for me looking good while giving up comfort, not going to happen
I know I can look good without giving up comfort..
I would rather have my lady be comfortable, she will always look good to me..
Then we have those who might judge us, like I'm going to respect them for being judgement,,all that is saying is I'm hanging out in the wrong crown of people...

Sorry, but the way you look and carry yourself reflect who you are

Isn't that so true,, so why change who we are so you can be accepted by others..
If I were to do that, I wouldn't be comfortable with who I am,, so I would rather dress in comfort and look good and be accepted for who I/we are ...
Not what others think of me/us, by dressing to meet their style I would be giving up who I/we are to appease the need of others to be accepted by them,, then they will see us as something we are not........So I would say if your going to judge us for who we are,, at least that would be a real judgement... rather that a false one// they will see me/us as who we are, nothing more and nothing less..they can judge us an that if they care too...

just my opinion,,
 rdcnorm
Msg: 361
Posted: 12/29/2008 1:24:25 PM
are you sure SQR don't write that,,,
sounds like we should be planning our funeral real soon,,,
 rustytraveler
Msg: 362
Posted: 12/29/2008 1:26:29 PM
I'm confused too...tho I think I dress pretty well for my age and European not American, no one can tag me as an American unless I open my mouth and then a lot of times they think I'm German.

Guess it depends on your body type and best and worst features....and taste of course ( but I hate saying that out loud when sqr might be around)
 kbodley
Msg: 363
view profile
History
Posted: 12/29/2008 7:10:32 PM
Okay folks, I'm over 50, have a chest the size of Minnesots, probably need to lose at least 30 lbs (or more, but please don't bother to point this out) and have inherited my father's family double chin (which along with my boobs arrived around the age of 15 and has just continued to grow)! So - from a fashion standpoint, I have the world's worst body to try and dress - because frankly it doesn't meet anyone's fashion criteria.

By the same token, when this subject arises among my friends, co-workers, and they guys who do notice such things - I am known as being fairly well dressed!

For me, the bottom line is that when I get dressed for any occasion I take a couple minutes and look in the mirror and assess whether or not I look the best I can for my intended destination. And - before anyone thinks that I am hung up on hair, makeup, etc. when I head to the beach for the weekend the only cosmetics that go with me are toothpaste and shampoo - and if the potential loves of my life can't handle that - well then they weren't intended for me! By the same token, when I am dressing for a night on the town - out comes the red leather blazer, high heels, and the best looking pair of jeans I can afford! Or - the sexiest top I own! Complete with makeup, earrings, and a great hairdo!

Again - it doesn't matter what your age, income, body size, shape, etc. Dress for the occasion and audience and top it all off with a confident smile and you'll look great!
 SRQManaMan
Msg: 365
Posted: 12/29/2008 7:31:16 PM
msg 343
"Disclosure: I wear short skirts sometimes. And tight black jeans with black, heeled boots. And tight tops. And I've worn them out to 5-star restaurants. My bad. But they're really nice...really!"

at 52 years of age, if you think you can get away with that, God Bless....

tight Black jeans
heeled boots
and tight tops

at 52
but they're really nice.....really
 SRQManaMan
Msg: 372
Posted: 12/30/2008 9:51:55 AM
Brooks ~

^^^^^^^^^^^^We certainly don't have to agree on anything

even though there seem to be those who bristle with divergent back-slapping

self-aggrandizing points of view...

Your points are solid, mature and well-reasoned in toto..........largely

better than snide, nasty and parochial retorts than seem to be founded

in visceral , and emotive agenda.....

As I said no one must agree...and that's a good thing.....

Clearly you may be in touch with yourself better than many many women

your stated age...
 SRQManaMan
Msg: 374
Posted: 1/2/2009 8:07:12 PM
hmmmm..........................................................................................
 joiseyboyjoe
Msg: 377
Posted: 1/3/2009 8:39:07 AM
Here's a thought why not dress for who you are not for what others want you to be! Obviously you won't take someone to dinner in cut off shorts but just be you.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  >