Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > California  > What is wrong this generation of people?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 AceOfSpace
Msg: 57
What is wrong this generation of people?Page 5 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
If what you say is true, if ditching the EPA might just be a mistake or "worse," please explain to me how the country survived at all from its birth to 1970 without the EPA.

Well, if you've ever been through the rust belt, you'd know what a pit it is. I think it was when that big river in Pennsylvania caught fire, when Love Canal made the headlines, when Three Mile Island started to melt down, and when your hero Ronnie quoth "If you've seen one Redwood you've seen 'em all," that people began to wake up to the fact that we are entirely capable of fouling our own nest and doing irreparable harm to the ecological systems that ultimately support us. Or do you think that food comes out of the ground?

Well, in fact, it currently does. Every calorie of food in the standard American diet embodies 10 calories of fossil fuel from fertilizers, pesticides, and transportation. When oil supplies run low, your kids and/or grandkids are liable to go hungry.

The only difference between kids today and us is that they rely on the electronic gagdets in the same way that we rely on internal combustion engines.
 Gogetter56
Msg: 58
What is wrong this generation of people?
Posted: 12/10/2009 12:14:41 PM
ACE, the end does not justify the means, especially when it comes to the environment as well as many other issues.

I think this current generation will do just fine once they begin to realize that yes, it does take all that and no I am not entitled to the American Dream, I am simply allowed to pursue it and I am willing to do whatever it takes, including scale down to live within my means, to survive before depending on someone else.
 matchlight
Msg: 59
view profile
History
Posted: 12/10/2009 12:40:35 PM
A couple points about that quote from Mr. Ruckelshaus:

To support his claim that "the federal role was fairly peripheral," and that "there was really no overall federal enforcement to speak of," he only mentions one federal water law and one memorable official--as if that was it. He never mentions either the Rivers and Harbors Act of 1899 or the Clean Water Act of 1948, both of which were in effect in the late '60's. Ruckelshaus was a fine lawyer--but what he says on this is misleading. (Sort of surprising, considering that he went to the same famous school as President Obama, who *never* says anything misleading.)

His "race to the bottom" claim about state laws may have been true in some states, but why was that usually anyone's business except their own? Their residents were closer than anyone else to whatever problems existed, and they evidently accepted the situation. Maybe having a job was more important to most of them than eliminating every trace of pollution. But then, why should they be able to decide for themselves? That argument also ignores the fact tourism and recreation are also important industries in many states--Hawaii, California, Florida, Washington, Oregon, Montana, Vermont, Maine, Virginia, and Arizona are obvious examples, and there are many more. Just as they do now, all those states had a strong incentive to protect their environments.

His claim that the federal government also had the responsibility to delegate back to the states the administration of the various . . . programs" is not accurate. Congress didn't make states responsible for enforcing federal laws out of any innate love of federalism, or any sense of "responsibility" for respecting their rights. If that had been the case, it never would have enacted these laws in the first place.

Congress relied on the states to enforce its environmental laws because it realized that EPA couldn't do the job itself. And that's where another type of delegation--which Mr. Ruckelshaus didn't mention--came in. To make this whole coercive scheme work without blatantly violating the 10th Amendment, Congress had to delegate its spending power to EPA . But it's highly debatable whether that delegation is constitutional, either.

Mr. Ruckelshaus claim that the "gorilla"--i.e. the federal coercion of the states he seems to approve of--was the fact EPA "could assume control if the state authorities proved too weak or inept to curb local polluters" is ridiculous. In all its history, EPA's only done that a couple times. The reason is obvious--EPA can't run these programs by itself, and its administrators know it. As I said, the real "gorilla" is the threat to cut off money from Washington.

Ruckelshaus was giving the party line in his quote. But he was a pretty benign, reasonable EPA administrator, compared to what we've seen since.
 AceOfSpace
Msg: 60
Posted: 12/10/2009 4:00:36 PM

Never seen a baby boomer walking around with an internal combustion engine strapped to their ear.

That's 'cause don't walk or take public transit. We all drive one to a car.
 AceOfSpace
Msg: 61
Posted: 12/10/2009 4:01:35 PM

I think this current generation will do just fine once they begin to realize that yes, it does take all that and no I am not entitled to the American Dream, I am simply allowed to pursue it and I am willing to do whatever it takes, including scale down to live within my means, to survive before depending on someone else.

I think so too.
 AceOfSpace
Msg: 62
Posted: 12/10/2009 7:25:32 PM
Skooch! Dude! So right on!

Could it really be that _we've_ become the older generation? Archaic and hopelessly out of touch?

Nah, never!!!!!
 forum_moderator
Msg: 63
view profile
History
Posted: 12/20/2009 6:13:30 PM
The subject has vered way off topic

This is the topic - stick to it.

Okay, I'm 21 as of this year. Is it just me, or does it feel like the generations have gotten more immature as the years go by. I'm not exactly the oldest and wisest of them all myself, but I have a surprisingly large book of wisdom located in my brain. It just baffles me at how different the people are now from 10, 20 years ago. Everything feels a lot more rushed. People back in the day grew up together, married someone they knew, and called it a life. Or met someone, befriended one another, and if were serious, usually got married and stayed together. It seems now that guys and girls alike are more prone to cheating on each other. I'm sure that if I looked up statistics, I'd find that people date more people in their lifetime now than they used to before. I feel like my generation of people is just not willing to work for their relationships, and then complain about how they can't find anyone. Stupid arguments over nothing. And when they have disagreements the first thought is, we should break up, or get divorced because we don't agree on everything. It's because they either didn't take the time out to get to know the person well enough before they started dating them, or just aren't willing to talk about things that they disagree about and come to some type of understanding about things. It makes me angry looking at the world today sometimes. But I know there's nothing I can do. But it's always been a thought on my mind, and I wanted to know other peoples opinions about it. I feel like I'm watching the world slowly drag itself down into oblivion sometimes. What are some of you Ladies and Gentlemans thoughts out there, I am VERY interested in knowing.

Thread Rolled Back

mamasboy069
Msg: 64
Posted: 3/31/2013 9:55:14 AM
i think the women r totally confused with there roles as women,an men have been beat down by the liberal attitudes,wen u get outta ca this changes somewhat,but being single in ca is a curse,because of the shortage of single women an the now gay thing goin round the cntry an of course the illegals pouring in onna daily basis,that all want the freebies,ca is overwhelmed with illegals from every where,the younger generation has been taught thru public sewer pipe schools to accept everyone an anything.......if allowed to continue all ur borders language an culture will b gone.

Happy Easter
hows that hope an change workinout 4 u
Show ALL Forums  > California  > What is wrong this generation of people?