Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Single Parents  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 flcntrygirl80
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Going back to school as a single parent?Page 2 of 2    (1, 2)
I went back to school full time in August as a single mom. I was laid off from my decent job in February and decided that I was gonna jump in with both feet instead of wasting the time until I find a job (which is proving nearly impossible). I find myself spending a lot of late nights studying and doing homework, but I know that in another 4 semesters or less, I will be done and be able to get a really good job that I will love. I do my school work at night, because my daughter is 6 and is a hellion at times and that is the only time I have to myself. I am not sure how old your kids are, but you make the time to do your studies. (I made the choice to go with 5 classes in the spring OMg what was I thinkng) Nothing says you have to go fulltime, even 1 or 2 classes a semester is better than not at all. I also work on my homework while we work on hers. I think it sets a good example for her to see mommy doing her homework too. Good luck!
 myshadowandme
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Going back to school as a single parent?
Posted: 11/17/2008 9:57:06 PM
I am wondering the same things. I really want to go back to school but I feel if go back to school I won't have the time to spend w/ my daughter that she needs and wants at 4 years old. I work 4 10's a week and feel like I am neglecting her as it is.

I have a family that is willing to help, but my daughter has abandonment issues b/c of her father....(which is a different story all together). I feel that going back to school would show my daughter to stay in school and go back and finish what you start. My concern is the risk of losing that time with her that I can't get back.

HELP ME!!!!!!
 flcntrygirl80
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 11/19/2008 10:40:40 AM
I don't know how financing works in Canada, I am in florida, but I know that as a single mom I qualified for a federal grant for school. and I took out student loans this time aroudn to help fill in where the grant left off. Please please please don't wait until your oldest graduates! Then you will keep finding reasons/excuses for not going back. Go for the 2 year program first, then make sure you transfer to the RN program. My mom is an RN and has been for over 30 years and loves it. Go for it. The little one is little enough that you will be able to study and do your work while they sleep. The older one will understand what you are trying to achieve and will probably be a huge help to you with the younger one. I hope you go for it and know you will achieve your goal. Just make sure you keep your goal in sight when times get rough, because they will.

Good luck!
 Alabamamam
Msg: 17
Posted: 11/19/2008 6:07:43 PM
There are a bunch of on line degrees in nursing.
 philrook
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 11/19/2008 7:10:44 PM
Just keep your priorities in perspective. The first most important priority you have in life is your kids and their well being. You have 4 years until your oldest goes off to school himself so your first priority is to make sure that he can go.

Quitting your current job and taking up school full time is irresponsible for your family and you shouldn't even consider it. Taking courses part time at university is a great idea ... and you can claim your tuitition expenses against your income and save the tax money.
 ABCGIRLZ
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Posted: 12/1/2008 11:17:48 AM
I am a single mom of two girls. I went back to school in 2004 when my youngest was about a yr. I have roughly 2 more years left for my teaching license. I have been in for 4 yrs now. Yes it is hard but worth it in the long run.
Show ALL Forums  > Single Parents  >