Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Jiperly
Msg: 966
Humans created by Aliens: Plausible theory?Page 22 of 53    (13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53)
>>>And guess where it started, in a few french and spanish caves 35-40,000 years ago.

It started long before that- but I suppose that really depends on what "it" is- where what started? Art? Science? Intelligence? Civilization?

It seems to be your trademark to be as vague as possible.

>>>No science or logic.

And it wasn't until science and logic appeared on the scene that we started to understand basic truths- like how spitting on wounds doesn't cure them.

>>>Yet this is what ignited the curiosity of the human species to ALLOW for science and it's disiplines to exist.

Some finger paintings on a wall caused science to appear 39,000 years later? How does that make sense?

>>>Science would be nothing without the creative curiousity which our ancestors raised through their questioning of the world they occupied.

And this curiousity was fed for thousands of years, on the backs of slaves and dying children, by people claiming they know something with no real reason or purpose behind them knowing- people didn't understand lightning, so they concluded that Zeus did it. They didn't understand the seasons, so they claimed it was the actions of Odin. And people don't understand what every light in the sky is- so they concluded that they witnessed aliens.

The mind can be a powerful thing, and can certainly delude people. People can be lonely, desparate, and can feel insignificant. Some people, just like thousands of years ago, make up stories to explain things and situations they cannot explain, often as a way to feel important, significant, and unique.

The only difference is we know better now- we've developed a method of confirming peoples claims and realities- because of this, we have lightbulbs, cars, power, the internet, drywall, and millions of other modern conveniences that, had we of followed the creed you are promoting, we would not ever have, instead spending our days in small huts, trying to sustain off what meagre standard they can get, being completely and utterly bonded and enslaved to the beings who defy all logic.
 Jiperly
Msg: 969
Humans created by Aliens: Plausible theory?
Posted: 4/24/2009 11:46:50 AM
>>>all the most significant advances in technology came about in and around the Roswell times and after. Superchargers, turbo chargers, first ideas of the computer, microwaves, satelites, nuclear fission, major advances in chemical technology, TVs, lasers, fuel injection.

Uh.....no.

Microwaves were invented before Roswell. So were Televisions.

Personally, I find your conclusion to be rather insulting- you are literally saying we could invent the car, electricity, trains, TV's and a handful of other objects- but we need aliens to build our satalites and fuel injectors. Why?
 stargazer1000
Msg: 970
Posted: 4/24/2009 1:37:31 PM
"For millennia, man lived just like the animals.
And then, one day, something happened to spark the power of his imagination.
He learned to talk."

---Stephen Hawking, intro to Pink Floyd's Keep Talking, album: The Division Bell

Sounds as reasonable an explanation as anything. No aliens needed.
 stargazer1000
Msg: 972
Posted: 4/24/2009 2:10:23 PM

Do you never find it odd that the most new concepts dreamed up, rapid advances and creation of new technology was achieved in a 20 year period between the mid thirtys and fiftys?

There were lots of advances around WW I and II. Nothing brings out mankind's ingenuity like the desire to kill one another in the most efficient means possible.

NASA is actually working on a saucer like craft, take a wild shot in the dark where that idea may have come from??? I highly doubt they'd opt to spend money on a flying disk while they allready have a highly successfull shuttle program that they've poured billions into

Well, the "success" of the shuttle program is certainly debatable. However, the U.S. airforce also experimented with a disk-shaped hovercraft years ago. In fact, it was tested up here in Ontario. It didn't go very far, then, either.

Actually, they really seem to have put the pedal to the metal on the Ares program. I wonder if they're planning on stepping up plans to get humans to the moon. Frankly, I hope they make it an international crew, next time.
 nexthyme
Msg: 973
view profile
History
Posted: 4/24/2009 2:19:39 PM
I have to say the "disk" shaped "alien" craft idea seems a lot weird to me... Really it doesn't seem all that efficient in stability and or travel, tip the thing up just a little, and it has major drag on the design...

Really thinking about it, any design has its flaws, the space shuttle wouldn't be to bad, if it weren't for o rings, and tiles that come off... that has been a real bummer for a couple of shuttles, and I say this with the UT MOST RESPECT...

There are a lot of theories and ideals that fly in the face of logic... Bumble bees are a perfect example of defying aerodynamics... So it is hard to say what shape would be logical and what wouldn't...

We have a LOT of science, and then there is nature that can defy the logic of nature...
 Jiperly
Msg: 974
Posted: 4/24/2009 4:27:24 PM
>>>For starters it's just a thought to ponder, its not necessarily a statement of fact or firm belief.

Granted, but you are casting aside the hardwork and ingenuity of tens of thousands if not hundreds of thousands of people, all of whom worked hard to improve the lives of their fellowman, all because you don't think we could possibly be smart enough to come up with it ourselves.

And you're wondering why I find such a claim insulting?

>>>Second it's the 5-10 years before and after roswell that I refer to.

Why before? If Roswell was "the incident" that caused us to develop advanced tech cause of aliens, how did we get the tech before they sent it? Isn't that a contradiction?

>>>Do you never find it odd that the most new concepts dreamed up, rapid advances and creation of new technology was achieved in a 20 year period between the mid thirtys and fiftys?

Do you ever find it odd that tech like Electricity, Discovery of Evolution, Trains, Lightbulbs, Steel, Discovery of Radition, Telephones and Telegraphs- all of these monumental achievements were invented in the 19th Century?

Did aliens invent trains?

>>>NASA is actually working on a saucer like craft, take a wild shot in the dark where that idea may have come from???

Pop Culture?
 desertrhino
Msg: 975
view profile
History
Posted: 4/24/2009 5:16:24 PM
Silly Jiperly... Once you've discarded all scientific principles in favor of alien-ism, tossing causal relationships into the dustbin is trivial. Effects can CLEARLY precede cause.
 Bluesman2008
Msg: 977
Posted: 4/25/2009 2:48:31 AM
if you applied this method of problem solving to daily life

You're right. But the very last thing in the world we're talking about is "daily life". Those rules, those concepts just don't apply here.

Most people today are completely ignorant of basic engineering principles

And most basic engineers are completely ignorant of basic string theory.

So what? That only proves that people (as the man said) only "rise to the level of their own competence". That's not necessarily a bad thing. But simply because a person has a title and/or a degree doesn't mean that there is no further truth beyond that which only HE can explain.

Here's something I find really odd and I'd love to hear some speculation from the scientifically inclined.

Here's the scenario (based of course on fact): sometime in the late 40's, "something" crash landed on a ranch owned by Max Brazle (sp??). The nearby military installation, having found out about it, obviously went to the crash site (the first of two) and scooped everything up that they found there and took it back to the base where the commanding general is briefed on their "find". We all agree so far?

NO ONE IN THIS FORUM CAN DISAGREE WITH ANYTHING ABOVE...so far, right? These facts are indisputable. (Remember I hypothesized "something" was found. I never suggested "what"...(yet).

Now, keep in mind this is not just any commanding general. He is the commanding general of what was then one of the most top secret army air bases capable of and training to deliver "the" bomb over Japan.

THIS general was briefed by his top security officer (obviously no dummy) and after this, quicky issues a press release stating categorically that an alien craft had landed and the military has possession of the debris.

That's pretty much what there is of Roswell (until of course the subsequent press release with the balloon bullshit story).

Now. You tell me. Where is the plausibility in the notion that THIS general, briefed by this security chief both MISTOOK a balloon for a UFO when he's got his hands on it? Do you seriously believe that a general, or a top security officer or any damned fool on the street couldn't tell the difference between UFO debris and a spy balloon?

So why the instant retraction? The ONLY answer, the obvious answer is the most plausible and if you don't think so, with what all the people FROM Roswell have said in interviews over the years, well, it's patently obvious you really have no desire to know. To question. To find out. Fortunately for the rest of us who still have questions, there is more to know. Can you imagine the conversation that took place when that general picked up the red phone and was told by his superior (in military terms, of course) that that press release was a tad premature. You get my drift.

Nothing brings out mankind's ingenuity like the desire to kill one another in the most efficient means possible.

Although I can't say that "I know", I'm betting alien sentient beings now realize that we've gotten that concept down to an art form. But the problem now is that we're bringing that mentality into THEIR turf whereas before, it's only been in and on our own little playground. Now we're going to want to pollute outer space the same way we've polluted and raped this planet. I doubt they want emply pepsi bottles littering their streets just yet. I think that's one of many reasons they're here as they have been for some time.
 nexthyme
Msg: 980
view profile
History
Posted: 4/25/2009 10:15:49 AM
Thanks Thorb, well now that is interesting...

Of course of of the shapes I have seen drawn make perfect sense , however some of the other, not so much...

Yes, dark matter, that has been an odd yet new discovery...

Anyone want to speculate on the NEW Mexican swine virus???

A mixture of swine, for pigs only, bird, for bird only and human flu virus combined into one...

Sounds like a really great hybrid mix for killing a heck of a lot of people, and only those getting the needed vaccine... Hmmmm, what is this planet coming too...
 FrogO_Oeyes
Msg: 984
view profile
History
Posted: 4/25/2009 9:10:48 PM

A mixture of swine, for pigs only, bird, for bird only and human flu virus combined into one...

They're all the same, more or less. That's why flu pandemics tend to originate in places like Asia - billions of chickens, billions of pigs, billions of humans. Influenza has no shortage of hosts to infect and evolve in and when a nasty new strain develops, it freely jumps between species. This happens mainly where there is a large, crowded population to infect. It's called swine flu or bird flu because that's where it originates, but influenza is NOT restricted to one or another. Part of the evolutionary process for viruses is the copying errors in which the virus accidentally gains a piece of host DNA or loses a piece of its own. This speeds things up, and also allows species to gain interesting new traits from unrelated organisms.

That's become a method of genetic engineering, as viruses can be used to pick up a trait and move it elsewhere. Infect the source organism with a fairly innocuous virus which is prone to copying errors. Collect infected fluids and test for presence of virii with desired genes. Purify the virus as much as possible, then re-infect the target species and test for prescence of desired genes and absence of undesired ones. Works great for plants and bacteria, where you can produce vast numbers of test specimens, and destroy everything that doesn't work out.

More on the abundance of logical fallacies in this thread, and WHY they are not valid arguments, later.
 nexthyme
Msg: 985
view profile
History
Posted: 4/25/2009 11:18:53 PM
Ok Frog eyes, I am a little confused about the 2nd part of your thread, because you are talking about genetic engineering... Which is my "concern", this mix seems rather high bred of a mix, that is originating from Mexico...

There is no ALIEN suggestion here... However it seems like an extremely ODD mix, especially one that jumps species, between bird and swine are a lot different species... Pigs and people, not so much, and THAT isn't intended as insulting...

Perhaps this is earths way of balancing over population out, or some science lab accident, or on purpose...

I don't think it is ignorant to question something that I don't understand, and or have a means to research properly... Someone as yourself are closer to research sources, so I can only ask the question...

Media hype is too convoluted to believe what is true and what is bs...

I am sure people want to think all of this stuff is natural, and nobody in a lab would create such a nitemare, however biological warfare is not anything new, and has been used against populations since ancient times...
 FrogO_Oeyes
Msg: 986
view profile
History
Posted: 4/25/2009 11:52:38 PM
Virii don't work quite the way life works. They attach to cells with the aid of chemical markers, inject their genetic material, and the host cell replicates it with the rest of the DNA. A great many species can share markers which are similar enough for the same virus to attach.

It's NORMAL for influenza to hop between birds, pigs and humans. I suspect it hops between pretty much ANY warm-blooded creature. Why these three? Because we have some 7 billion humans on Earth, often in dense populations which are marvelous for infectious diseases to spread and evolve. Because pigs and chickens in particular are ALSO kept in vast, dense populations, AND usually near large numbers of humans. I *think* flu typically incubates and evolves in non-human [mainly chicken and pig] hosts, probably migrating back and forth until suddenly a new variant appears which is nasty enough to be noticed when it reaches humans. It quite likely has infected humans over and over before this, but has been ignored because it's mild or too similar to previous strains to get past the immune system. Odds are, pretty much every strain of flu has incubated for some period of time in non-humans. It's a question of which other species are densely populated and in close contact with us.
 desertrhino
Msg: 987
view profile
History
Posted: 4/26/2009 6:36:42 AM
Frog, there are a few errors in your premises, but they're not really critical. I'll just elaborate a bit, and see if we can't clear this up. (we can't but we can at least try)

Influenza is (are, since there are many, many types and strains within those types) fairly species-specific, due to the specificity of the nucleoproteins the virus uses to enter the cell. The "big 3" that are involved in human pandemics are humans, pigs, and ducks.

Human-specific influenza A infects humans, and is easily passed between humans. It also infects pigs. Now, there are Influenza A strains that generally stay in the pig populations, and although they are technically human-specific influenza, they generally do not infect humans. We'll get back to that in a moment.

Avian-specific influenza A infects various bird species, but particularly it infects ducks. It also infects pigs. Weird, huh? This is important. Pigs are able to be infected by both human- and duck-specific influenza.

When you talk about human influenza, what you are generally talking about is a strain of influenza virus that is passed around between humans. It is closely related to the influenza you got last year, or the year before. You have antibodies that are somewhat effective at fighting it off, once your immune system reacts and fires up production. You also generate new, VERY effective and specific antibodies to the exact strain with which you are now infected. This can become the "somewhat effective" antibodies for the next strain that is closely related to all the other "flus" you have had. Some people, however, through luck/chance, age, or compromised immune systems, cannot mount this normal immune response to you average everyday influenza. They get very, very sick, and some of them die. This is why children, the elderly, and those with compromised immune systems are advised to get the flu shot every year, to give them a better chance of surviving, should they be exposed to the 2 or 3 strains represented in the vaccine.

Sometimes, however, you get a strain that is so new and so unrelated to other influenza that most people have essentially NO antibodies that are even close. A massive infection ensues and the infected persons die in huge numbers, like the pandemics of the early 20th century. Those who survive develop antibodies to that strain, and then it and its new mutations are not nearly so dangerous to us.

How does this happen? Well, you can be infected with more than one strain of flu at a time. In fact, the same CELL can be infected with the multiple strains of flu. The machinery of the cell then chugs away, making more of both types of flu virus. In rare cases, the manufacturing process screws up, and you end up with some viruses that are partly made from one strain and partly from another. These new influenza viruses look different from both parent strains to your immune system. For a while, this new influenza can rip through the population, infecting a lot of people, because few have immunity to the whole virus. But, it usually doesn't kill too many people, because it's basically the same flu you got last year.

That didn't tell you how terrible pandemics happen, did it? :) The part that was left out is that pigs can also be infected with more than one flu strain at a time. Every so often one of the strains that generally infects only pigs (and has accumulated a lot of minor mutations to make it look weird to your immune system) gets crossed with one that easily infects humans. You end up with a part-pig-flu, part-human-flu virus. It easily infects humans, but it has features that your immune system has not seen before, and it takes a long time to mount even a partially-effective antibody response to this new virus. Lots of people die before their immune systems get up to speed. This is a "swine flu."

Great, now what is "bird flu?" Bird flu is created via the same process. Pigs are infected with both human and avian flu, and a new virus that contains some human-specific-influenza features and some bird-specific-influenza features. Depending upon the details, this new flu can either rip through human populations as a "bird flu," or it can decimate bird populations because THEY don't have effective antibodies. Or BOTH populations can be affected. This kind of thing happens a lot more often when pigs, ducks, and humans all live in close proximity, and it conditions where viruses can be passed between them. Like in poor, rural Asian communities. That's why "bird flu" started in China. Pigs, ducks, and humans all live in the same building, sharing the same water, air, and food. Humans can wash their hands and try to avoid breathing sneezed particles, but have you ever tried to get a pig to wash its hands?

It's not evil, it's not aliens, and it's not intentional. It's just a feature of influenza. It's influenza evolution in action, but since evolution is really about systems rather than species, is also human, bird, and pig evolution in action, all at the same time.

<div class='quote'>I am sure people want to think all of this stuff is natural, and nobody in a lab would create such a nitemare, however biological warfare is not anything new, and has been used against populations since ancient times...

Thyme, I think you've got that completely backwards, at least in the current community: Lots of people want to think this is a biological warfare agent, because it vindicates their conspiracy theories. Sad, and false, but you can't talk them out of it with simple facts and science. Sigh.
 nexthyme
Msg: 988
view profile
History
Posted: 4/26/2009 11:14:05 AM
Thanks for the explanation Rhino... I know since we don't see eye to eye on some things, I seem impossible... I did know a bit of what you were talking about... basic cell biology, part of schooling many eons ago...

OK, so here is what you are saying...Example, my son last summer had a probable light case of bird flu, AT LEAST that is the speculation of the specialist for the game dept ... It is has been up in this valley due to mosquitoes (several prize roosters died from it up the road), and I had to take him to the hospital because he was so sick.

Thus that would make him slightly immune to the "bird and human flu part" IF IN FACT his illness was caused by avian flu?

I know this kind of stuff is also created in the lab, and there is a university that has the most deadly of deadly viruses in there vaults...

HOWEVER, as I said this is not ALIEN (well viruses look pretty alien in nature, and respond in an alien manor to certain degree) and took the time to ask, because there are questions and screamers of conspiracy...

I feel I asked in a logical manor, as to how the combination occurred. After all seems better to ask people with scientific knowledge then to consult unknown sources of pure male bovine excrement...

So thanks....
 nexthyme
Msg: 989
view profile
History
Posted: 4/26/2009 7:17:10 PM
OOPS I errored, West Nile virus was what my son was exposed too...
 stargazer1000
Msg: 996
Posted: 9/8/2009 8:30:05 AM
Ah, the self-hatred evident in the "aliens don't want anything to do with us because we're evil" idea. Sad, really. And you want to talk about ego? How about speaking for an entire proposed galactic society?

Clearly, people have watched too many movies. We cannot know if there are other species nearby and, if there were, what they would think of us as a species.

Last I checked we were in the backwoods of the galaxy

And really, what does that mean? How do you define "backwoods?" What makes our section of the galaxy less desirable, evolved or chichi than some other part of the Milky Way? Do we not have the right inter-stellar restaurants? What is our galaxy's Manhattan?

At some point we will open our minds and work together and collaborate our ideas, our opinions, and our perspective in order to figure out why we are here.

You assume there has to be a why. Isn't it enough that we are here - tiny, frail, insignificant, rare, unique, reasonably-self-aware us the current stage of development of our little blue marble in the middle of galactic nowhere? It seems to me the truly "open" mind must be willing and able to take in that possibility. To assume we have to be here for a reason, or that we were "made" by someone or something, truly is ego gone mad, don't you think?
 Jiperly
Msg: 1000
Posted: 9/9/2009 11:52:20 AM
>>>Anything that can be imagined has a probability.

That isn't how the universe works, and claiming as such shows either an extreme naivety, or a refusal to acknowledge what we see, rather wishing to acknowledge what you wish was there . For instance, as much as I wish it were true, there is absolutely no probability that the lost city of Atlantis is located 1cm inside my anus. Its time to grow up and accept it- some things are simply impossible and improbable, regardless of the comforts you would gain if it were true.

>>> It would just make human's collective inferiority complex even worse, which almost always results in bloodshed.

We're a product of nature, and life in nature fights and competes for resources. It has nothing to do with a "collective inferiority complex", and everything to do with the nature of life itself.

>>>Last I checked we were in the backwoods of the galaxy

As stargazer pointed out, and I feel is worthy of addressing by you- by what standard do you make such a claim? Who are you to make such a judgment? And should we consider it a coincidence that your assumptions re-affirm your beliefs?

>>>if one considers the egos displayed here are viewed as evidence, then we don't deserve such knowledge.

Again, by what standard do you make such a claim? Who are you to judge who does and doesn't deserve knowledge? Who are you to judge whether or not someones worthy of it? Why do you believe you hold all the keys to the knowledge of the universe- and isn't that a distinct sign that you have what you condemn- an ego?

>>>I've noticed that a person can not even correct an individuals mistakes in this forum with out wiping their nose through it in an arrogant manner. At some point we will open our minds and work together and collaborate our ideas, our opinions, and our perspective in order to figure out why we are here.

But allowing people to make the same mistakes over and over again, never correcting them in fear of offending them- that'll help us understand things better
 batdann
Msg: 1002
Posted: 9/9/2009 12:43:27 PM
wow wehat a good viewpoint,now listen to this.....what if humans were actually aliens in the sense that we had travelled here from another planet? R thinking capabilities r unmathed by any other lifeform on this planet.Juss a thought
 coveredinpaint
Msg: 1003
Posted: 9/9/2009 12:59:04 PM
Oh how I wish humans were a result of extra terestrials. Because then the ID theorists would be proved correct, however, not at all on the terms they would like.
 Earthpuppy
Msg: 1007
view profile
History
Posted: 9/9/2009 3:26:37 PM
Loren Eiseley posited not that long ago, that the only feasible way to economically spread life across the universe was via comets and meteors, a low-tech cryogenic sort of technology. It is quite possible, if not probable that much of the Earth's life was seeded from the far reaches, perhaps intelligently or just a matter of the chaos of life in the cold expanding universe. The latest Hubble pics continue to astound us. The universe is far bigger and more complicated than we can hope to comprehend if we keep our minds closed to possibilities.
http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/090909-new-hubble-images.html

http://nai.nasa.gov/news_stories/news_detail.cfm?ID=154
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,367260,00.html
 Jiperly
Msg: 1008
Posted: 9/9/2009 11:14:49 PM
>>>what if humans were actually aliens in the sense that we had travelled here from another planet?

Well, it IS just a thought, I'll give you that.

There is no evidence to support this. In fact, we can clearly see a humanoid like creature slowly appear on the scene through evolution- the concept that everything is evolution, but man is from space, I. . .I just don't understand why you have the need. . .I mean, why couldn't ducks have equally have come from space, and replaced a creature that looked and acted identical to ducks?

-----==------==-----

>>>I have no idea which is true, but claiming "You don't know the Universe works" implies that you DO, when you DON'T.

Granted- I do not know everything about the universe- but I certainly know that the creed of "anythings possible" that people blindly cheer, is not true. I do not need to know everything to know the universe has its limits.
 susan_cd
Msg: 1010
Posted: 9/10/2009 7:54:23 AM
Dunno about "created" by aliens, but we may just be a form of cattle to them.

As the Bible says, "Go forth & multiply". We were dropped off here because it's a suitable planet for us to live on, once the herd gets to sufficient numbers ( maybe by December 21, 2012?) they'll be back to start harvesting.

The alien abductions are just some of the ranchers/health inspectors testing the cattle to see how our general health is, or perhaps culling the herd a little.

Oh, and crop circles are their version of branding, with ranchers staking out their teritory.
 stargazer1000
Msg: 1011
Posted: 9/10/2009 9:29:16 AM

As the Bible says, "Go forth & multiply". We were dropped off here because it's a suitable planet for us to live on, once the herd gets to sufficient numbers ( maybe by December 21, 2012?) they'll be back to start harvesting.

It never ceases to amaze me, with all the challenges and troubles we face in the world, people have to make up more monsters. It's really kind of sad.

It's also ridiculous. The main reason being we share DNA with every other living thing on this planet. That simple.

So don't worry. To Serve Man is not a cookbook.
 Earthpuppy
Msg: 1014
view profile
History
Posted: 9/10/2009 10:34:31 AM
As the amazing Hubble Telescope expands our eyes into time and space, I find it interesting that there is so much glazing over of possibilities back on earth.

There is evidence that the building blocks of life are extraterrestrial, making them by definition, alien. Repeated bombardment of new RNA from space bourne particles could account for some of the rapid evolutionary leaps of life here over the millions of years. We may never know whether this RNA was random, created, or sent by life elsewhere accidentally or purposely. It's still nice to entertain the possibility that perhaps we're not so unique in the cosmos.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/DNA-and-RNA-Came-from-Space-88016.shtml
snip..
For some reason or another, all of us like to believe that Earth is special - after all, our planet is the only one able to sustain life that we know of. Indeed, Earth is special in its own way, but life would not have been possible without the significant contribution of material coming form space. In fact, a new study shows that the compounds making up DNA and RNA actually originated in space, not on Earth as previously thought, and were brought here by meteorite fragments and other similar objects.

"We believe early life may have adopted nucleobases from meteoritic fragments for use in genetic coding which enabled them to pass on their successful features to subsequent generations," said the leader of the study, Zita Martins of the Department of Earth Science and Engineering at Imperial College London.

In 1969, a meteorite fragment, known today as the Murchison meteorite, crashed in the Australian outback. A thorough analysis, following its discovery, showed that it contained uracil and xanthine molecules (nucleobases), which are building blocks for genetic materials made up of a heavy carbon isotope. On Earth, such molecules contain only light carbon isotopes.

However, these two molecules are just a few of many others found in the respective fragment. "There are about 70 different amino acids in the Murchison meteorite. About six or so are the same kinds of amino acids associated with life on Earth," said David Deamer from the University of California.

The uracil molecule is one of the four bases for the RNA molecule, therefore it is invaluable to life. Deamer points out that, although these molecules have been proven to originate in space, they could have been developed on Earth just as well. Nevertheless, the proportion of molecules originating only in space or only on Earth is currently unknown.

"We don't know the answer yet. Most people would say that both contributed to the organic compounds available on Earth, but we don't know with certainty how much of one compared to the other," said Deamer.

Between 3.8 and 4.5 billion years ago, when primitive life first appeared, the Earth and Mars could have been literally bombarded with meteorites similar to the Murchison, thus studying the impact they would have had on different planets could reveal how life evolved in the solar system.

"Because meteorites represent leftover materials from the formation of the solar system, the key components for life - including nucleobases - could be widespread in the cosmos. As more and more of life's raw materials are discovered in objects from space, the possibility of life springing forth wherever the right chemistry is present becomes more likely," said Mark Sephton, professor of Earth science and engineering at Imperial College London and co-author of the study. end snip..
 stargazer1000
Msg: 1015
Posted: 9/10/2009 10:39:01 AM
I think there is a fundamental difference between saying the "building blocks" of life came from space and that we were "created" by space aliens. One is proveable. The other is not.
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  >