Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  > God in a word      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 FunnyAndSweet48
Msg: 126
God in a wordPage 6 of 12    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12)
Many people don't quite understand the concept of how God speaks to a person. For me personally, God is the love, light & essence that lives within me so his answers often come as incredibly strong gut instincts from within. It has taken me many years to recognize when God is speaking to me because these gut feelings are much, much stronger than the usual & are more of a gut knowledge really.

Often if I don't like God's answer, I'll ignore it & continue doing my own thing but I can't ignore God because He will speak to me more & more intensely, sometimes to the point where my gut will ache terribly until I give in & say, "Okay, I get it & will do as you say" & the ache then goes away.

God has also answered prayer by sending someone into my life who ends up being or having the solution to my problem or by leading me to a person or place where I will find the resolution I was seeking. Then there are answers which come by form of miracles, which are the absolutely impossible made possible & no scientific or other explanation can discount that it was God's doing.

Speaking in tongues (God's language) has gotten a bad rep because of all those people we see on TV waving their arms around & yelling out gibberish & yes, there are some who want to speak in tongues so badly that they will fake it. But in fact, those who truly have the gift of speaking in tongues will rarely do it in public but quietly in private or in a one-on-one prayer with someone in desperate need. I know several people who speak in tongues & the ones with the true gift, no matter what part of the world they come from, will all sound like they are speaking the exact same language, without all that moaning & groaning nonsense. I have learned over the years to recognize the difference.

I'm a very skeptical person & it takes a lot to convince me of anything. Usually I have to experience things myself before I will fully believe it to be true & be confident to speak about it. If I hear about it from someone else, then it is merely hearsay.

What bothers me is when posters trash a person or a topic that they know absolutely nothing about because they have never experienced it themselves nor do they have full knowledge about it, instead of keeping an open mind & listening & responding with respect to those who have experienced it themselves. Sharing differing opinions is what these forums are about but can we not do it in a mature, civilized fashion without having to put others down in the process of trying to prove our point?

P.S. Thanks for the personal emails. Always glad when something I share candidly can help others through their own struggles.
 XHTML
Msg: 127
God in a word
Posted: 11/29/2008 3:13:33 PM

What bothers me is when posters trash a person or a topic that they know absolutely nothing about because they have never experienced it themselves nor do they have full knowledge about it, instead of keeping an open mind & listening & responding with respect to those who have experienced it themselves. Sharing differing opinions is what these forums are about but can we not do it in a mature, civilized fashion without having to put others down in the process of trying to prove our point?

I completely agree with FunnyAndSweet on this.

I certainly cannot claim to have experienced any miracles and am a non-believer on this topic. I can only speak from my own experiences and conclusions drawn from them, but think respect for the other opinions is always appropriate.
 spiceemomme
Msg: 128
God in a word
Posted: 11/29/2008 3:47:49 PM
perfectly "abstract"
 Ticketoride
Msg: 129
God in a word
Posted: 11/29/2008 4:02:45 PM
What bothers me is when posters trash a person or a topic that they know absolutely nothing about

Many people don't quite understand the concept of how God speaks to a person.

Yes, trashing of Posts is quite acceptable on Discussion Boards.

Perhaps your Criteria what constitutes "Knowing" or "Understanding" are debatable.

Pretty much the same could be said of Someone who claims the Sky is green, a Bystander questions your Claim, and you retort that he knows nothing about the "Godly Sky" because he doesn't believe nor share your absolute Faith/Conviction. When that Bystander then further Queries you, you take that as a personal Affront and trashing against your Beliefs.

Being a Discussion Format, each of our Opinions on other People's Posts is fair Game, be it God, your Beliefs or anything that has something to do with the Topic. And as they are, you are also free to comment on their Posts. Your posted Content is not protected by any holy and exempt Umbrella.

Furthermore, your Assessment that "A Person has been trashed" is also not correct, but the Post Contents have been.

You also claim many People don't understand how God speaks to a Person, and that is about as preposterous to me as the Fact that he actually does. If my Take on your Statement amounts to trashing, then I can only construe you feel your Statement is above Reproach and Comment ... esp. for those who have been labeled by you as those "who know nothing" about it.

And yet on the same Note, a Preacher of deep christian Conviction, after 30 Years of Prayer & Church Service, suddenly realizes its all fabricated Nonsense, and is nothing more than a blind swallowing of Words from a Book ... Hook, Line and Sinker. Just because he no longer subscribes to the Faith, does that mean he doesn't "Understand the Concept of Faith" or he "knows absolutely nothing about it"?

Just because you believe or experience something, doesn't mean it exists, nor necessarily exists for others, doesn't mean other Posters don't "know" or "understand" how God speaks, since it appears you want to define him for everybody else.

Just because I convince myself some powerful Entity exists, I speak to it, I get an intuitive feeling he speaks back to me, would that be a Statement of Fact on what People don't "know" or don't "Understand"?
 Mountain Lion 1
Msg: 130
view profile
History
God in a word
Posted: 11/29/2008 4:17:06 PM

Many people don't quite understand the concept of how God speaks to a person.

^^Sweets,
not meaning to belittle or take away your (or any one else’s) private interpretations reasoning the matters of concern to solve issues related to the very existence or pleasure and any thing in between. You have defined that as “god”, essentially just a name and as such it serves you to comprehend and address what needs addressing. There is nothing wrong with that at all so long as it works for you.

Others including me would interpret these processes of reasoning differently. The basic functions to act are relatively simple in a one cell organism, though perhaps not fully understood in all aspects, but eat least partially explainable.
Matters become more complex the larger the organism and the greater the organisms abilities of function and adaptation are. By no means am I learned enough to even attempt to understand or explain the complexities of these functions and as we all know they are not fully explainable at this time. I am however intrigued by this miraculous aspect of life.

In simple, the information stored in the genetic codes are an accumulation of experiences acquired in the evolutionary process of singular or multiple mega molecular structures (protein based). The success of survival (success) dictates the type of information accumulated over generations that forms a “blueprint” of sorts which allows for adaptation, progress and growth.

In complex life forms such as humans every individual cell is connected in some way at least to the entire organism. One of the dominating and controlling centers of function of the organism is the brain. Here information exchanges processes dictating to other parts the conduct necessary to continue existence (or not). Similar to more simple chemical reactions complex molecules enzymes etc. interact with single cells or groups to achieve specific results (or not).

What you describe as “gut feeling” may be not much more than an instinctive information base, meaning acquired experiences of all life before your existence. That genetic information now interacts with your brain whose function dictates your life and survival. The “anxiety type” feelings you refer to are simply secondary effects which can be counterproductive as they may make you ill and dysfunctional or become a motivator. Either way it is merely a stimulus to cause action.
Alternatively humans have acquired sophisticated brain functions which enable us to also work the other way around by telling the rest of the organism what to do. This abstract reasoning ability has obviously served us well otherwise the evolutionary process would have eliminated the survival of such actions as they would have been irrelevant to survival.

As religious belief is a world wide phenomena experienced and practiced by all cultures there must be some reasons for it. That is however no evidence to suggest there is a deity and it may only be evidence that mankind does have a need to ‘put at peace’ the mind in order to function.

May your god be with you.
 FunnyAndSweet48
Msg: 131
God in a word
Posted: 11/29/2008 5:34:16 PM
Sharing differing opinions is what these forums are about but can we not do it in a mature, civilized fashion without having to put others down in the process of trying to prove our point?

Posts 129 (Tyeee), 131 (Ticket) and 132 (ML) are exactly what I was referring to by my above quote, the respect factor for differing opinions on threads. All three of these posts contradict my own personal beliefs which is okay because we are all entitled to hold different views.

Yet Post 131 (Ticket) comes across to me as an angry & defensive attack, tainted with a certain degree of disrespect, perhaps not meant intentionally but nevertheless still there, whereas Posts 129 (Tyeee) and 132 (ML) also share opposing points of view but are written with maturity & respect for another poster's beliefs.
Thank you Tyeee & ML.
 Mountain Lion 1
Msg: 132
view profile
History
God in a word
Posted: 11/29/2008 6:01:27 PM

Thank you Tyeee & ML.

you're welcome
me thinks, yup believe it, knowing you a little from here...that you as some other posters take a very strong point of discussion which may be disagreeing with your own just a tiny bit too personal ...you know what I mean...we've seen many forums that way where the assumptions take over the point of the discussion and became no longer objective

know thyself and thy need not fear
 Ticketoride
Msg: 133
God in a word
Posted: 11/29/2008 6:02:43 PM
Yet Post 131 (Ticket) comes across to me as an angry & defensive attack, tainted with a certain degree of disrespect

Its ironic you levied a baseless and completely false Charge of having your "Person trashed", then went on to again baselessly suggest what Posters don't know and don't understand, and then tried define for us what God is.

You baselessly label, as you have done before, Replies which address your Posts as being "disrespectful", but you do not actually address my Post or any valid Points in them.

Very nice. We have seen too many proselytizing Posts throughout this Thread where I have questioned what doesn't make any Sense, only to have them turn around to feel offended, hurl Insults but won't actually respond to the Content of the Post itself.

So ... go ahead, answer up Post #131 and how you have been supposedly trashed, how people don't know anything how to speak to God, and whatever else they supposedly don't understand.

The respectful Thing would be to address the Post, not to defer Attention to something else that never took place to begin with.

That's what Discussions are all about, you stir up Ideas, Viewpoints and Opinions a little, bogus Facades of Politeness have little Bearing on anything.
 *Splendid*
Msg: 134
view profile
History
God in a word
Posted: 11/29/2008 6:14:01 PM
Even though you and I share this moment in space and time
we will never perceive or see the sun rise or the sky
with the same eyes, this is the amazing thing we call perception.

Though we will never see the same thing whence we gaze out onto the horizon
I embrace your vision and hope you accept my version .......

I will not try to change your perception of things real or imagined
and hope that you will offer me the same latitude....
 Dr_Evil*
Msg: 135
God in a word
Posted: 11/29/2008 6:55:14 PM
Quite the polarizing thread you've started Light Storm.

It seems there is no shortage of opinions regarding this subject; and whether people believe in god, or "A" god.

For me, the one word I would use to describe/define god is:

Personal

Light Storm
Msg: 136
view profile
History
God in a word
Posted: 11/29/2008 8:42:26 PM
Okay, for people who use multiple words, I'm just going with the first one you use for the sake of these statistics. Okay, I'm sure someone is going to say some of the words I stuck in my little neutral should fall under negative words... but in fairness to the words themselves, it's my honest opinion that the word could be used either way. General single words that are clear slander went under negative words.

So far, I've found 34 words... Love and Faith are the only words that have repeated themselves.

Positive words 35%
1. LOVE ~b2inus2
2. Faith ~Wildman46
3. Love ~RINGS
4. SAVIOR ~Starlite444
5. love ~passionandsong
6. Love ~thismikerocks
7. Warmth ~ * mb728 *
8. HOPE ~tweetiebird66
9. faith ~Mountain Lion 1
10. LIGHT ~Eritta
11. LIFE! ~ -SIMONA-

Negative words 17%
1. false ~Yappy lil Pine Needle
2. Cruel ~Tyeee
3. FARCE ~Temptation50
4. Fabricated ~boatswamper
5. scam ~ryaninvan
6. Unprovable ~fishn mishn

Neutral words 38%
1. Omniscient ~Light Storm
2. Conundrum ~yabbdabbadoo
3. Mythical ~LeaveMeBe
4. Omnipresent ~ Behindthescenes
5. fiction ~rockondon
6. Imaginary ~Wind Chimez
7. Unknown ~You go first
8. transformation ~serenityCW
9. Unknowable ~Life is Always Good
10. US ~Jace B
11. Zeitgeist (Defination: Spirit of time) ~ Phuqd
12. abstract ~spiceemomme
13. Personal ~Dr_Evil*

Other words 9%
1. Cat ~TravellerSEB
2. woGODrd ~Sammy Dreams
3. Spud ~jspudotoole
 XHTML
Msg: 137
God in a word
Posted: 11/29/2008 10:55:49 PM
^^^^

Negative words 17%
2. Cruel ~Tyeee

In msg 7 I used three words, not one.
* Cruel
* Inept
* Uncaring.

I hope this doesn't throw your calculations out too much.
 The PigWig
Msg: 138
view profile
History
God in a word
Posted: 11/29/2008 11:49:58 PM
Light Storm.

Why did you create the thread by the way? Was it intended for people who believe in God only?
 Light Storm
Msg: 139
view profile
History
God in a word
Posted: 11/30/2008 12:34:06 AM

Why did you create the thread by the way? Was it intended for people who believe in God only?

Defiantly not. None believers in God are welcome as well, but at the same time, I can't help but wonder if they can't stand the idea of a "God" or they are a little bit more like me and can't stand the name God as characterized by so many religions.

I came up with the idea to create this post while reading other posts where people where constantly at each others throats about religion vs atheism. I kinda wanted to show the members of the forums that the reason they fight isn't because they have different views of a God, but that everyone has different interpretations of what God means to them. Instead of everyone standing next to their belief, faith, religion and defending it, I kinda wanted to say... look... we all believe in something different, but instead of fighting about who's right, why don't we try and understand a little bit better about why we fight. The simplest game I could come up with was putting everything we know about God, into a single word.

You will not find anyone more anti religious than myself. I can't stand religion, I honestly believe religions are founded on the cleverness of a few and the fears of many. But at the same time I do not deny that there is more going on behind the scenes than we are aware of. There are aspects of life, to perfectly planned to be random chance or total coincidence, the probability are to astronomical to even conceive.
 FunnyAndSweet48
Msg: 140
God in a word
Posted: 11/30/2008 3:20:03 AM
Light Storm: My word for God was "Father", which somehow missed your list.

In msg. 73 & 127, I chose to share my own personal spiritual experiences, hoping that some might find it an interesting read, if nothing more. However, I was glad to receive personal email from a few people thanking me for my candor in sharing on this & another thread because my posts were helpful to them in some way or another. This is my primary reason for sharing so candidly.

I did not choose to open up my heart so others can theorize why my personal beliefs & experiences are "false", "baseless" & "preposterous". You have a right to disagree with what I have said but I am not obligated to submit to demands that I argue a reply or justify my faith in God to anyone. My beliefs are my beliefs ... my life experiences are my life experiences & they are not open to debate ... period.

May a hedge of angels protect all posters from any Spiritual Warfare that might be happening on this thread.
 Mountain Lion 1
Msg: 141
view profile
History
God in a word
Posted: 11/30/2008 4:04:12 AM
Light Storm msg 140
your motives for creating this thread are absolutely wonderful and I thank you

after reading you may also have found not much has changed in the world or even this tiny part of it.
the reasons may be any ones guess, but I suspect that who ever intended to spread something positive long ago ran into the same obstacle we still have today perhaps even bigger now; we generally call that HUMAN

Amazingly pacifism, love and respect for each other is a fundamental part of many original religious scriptures, jet the fanaticism created has lead and still does to more and greater tragedies on this planet than can be mentioned here.

On the positive much of the foundation of our laws governing to make conduct amongst each other tolerable origin in the same scriptures.

For all who believe" there is but one god" remember those who have a different name for it differ only in that and their ways to serve their faith, but we all are subject of the creation of that one deity including the non-believers, and we all must ask ourselves the one question:
What have we done (are we doing) to the creation of this planet?

Salam Aleikum, Shalom, Peace, Pax, Paix, Pace, Paz, Frieden,....
 The PigWig
Msg: 142
view profile
History
God in a word
Posted: 11/30/2008 9:34:36 AM

I came up with the idea to create this post while reading other posts where people where constantly at each others throats about religion vs atheism. I kinda wanted to show the members of the forums that the reason they fight isn't because they have different views of a God, but that everyone has different interpretations of what God means to them. Instead of everyone standing next to their belief, faith, religion and defending it, I kinda wanted to say... look... we all believe in something different, but instead of fighting about who's right, why don't we try and understand a little bit better about why we fight. The simplest game I could come up with was putting everything we know about God, into a single word.

Then my answer is simply this;

Nothing
 ritawayward
Msg: 143
God in a word
Posted: 11/30/2008 10:54:58 AM

The simplest game I could come up with was putting everything we know about God, into a single word.

exploited
 Ticketoride
Msg: 144
God in a word
Posted: 11/30/2008 11:44:22 AM
I did not choose to open up my heart so others can theorize why my personal beliefs & experiences are "false", "baseless" & "preposterous". My beliefs are my beliefs ... my life experiences are my life experiences & they are not open to debate ... period.

You are not reading my Post, but making Assumptions. Under Question was your Claim of what People don't know or don't understand. Anyone is free to theorize why any Belief is false, baseless or preposterous. Your Reason why you post is your own, but whatever you post can be questioned. This is a Discussion Medium, and there nothing, be it your Beliefs or anything else whatsoever thats above Query. That may apply in your Church or polite Company, but not on any Public Message Board.

You have a right to disagree with what I have said but I am not obligated to submit to demands that I argue a reply or justify my faith in God to anyone.

Anyone is free to question anything you post here on the Forums, but you are not required to reply. If you feel making Comment on what other People don't know or understand, then feel insulted when your Point is questioned, realize that has nothing to do with you being "trashed", since it addresses your Post, not you personally.

My beliefs are my beliefs ... my life experiences are my life experiences & they are not open to debate ... period.

Anything you post on a Forum can be taken up for Debate or Comment by anyone as they please.

we all are subject of the creation of that one deity including the non-believers

Based on the Definition of "Deity" on Wikipedia, and as I mentioned earlier, I have nothing whatsoever to go on that would support that except what People and many Religions have stated. Many also believe in several Gods, others state each of us is a God fallen from Grace, yet others propose still some other Cause. Different Theories exist, and so far I haven't found any that appear to have anymore Validity than another. It is for this Reason I am inclined to press for far more Substantiation before I am willing to buy into anything at all.

And in a single Word ... I would also go with The Unknown
 ForaktarU
Msg: 145
God in a word
Posted: 11/30/2008 12:55:37 PM
There IS an infinite Allmighty.

Anything else added is manmade.
I know.
I am of this world, thou not from it.

PS,most are all-ready there,but if you dont agree > go to hell.

WORD = KNOWING
 Mountain Lion 1
Msg: 146
view profile
History
God in a word
Posted: 11/30/2008 1:12:00 PM

The simplest game I could come up with was putting everything we know about God, into a single word.

deceptions
 Sir Raffarott
Msg: 147
view profile
History
God in a word
Posted: 11/30/2008 3:20:17 PM
"Kindness"......
 WesternWildRose
Msg: 148
view profile
History
God in a word
Posted: 11/30/2008 7:16:52 PM
One word eh?... well...

HOPE

I know there are times in all of our lives when the end seems near... either for ourselves or a loved one... someone is on their deathbed...there has been an unforseen accident.... and whether we believe in God or not....whether we are of an organized religion of not.... WE FALL DOWN ON OUR KNEES.....and make a deal with God.

we have all done it....and really...at that point...what more do you have?... you have Hope... you have some faith in something intangible...but still it is all you have to grasp on to at that moment.
 Wind Chimez
Msg: 149
God in a word
Posted: 11/30/2008 7:46:19 PM
Controversy

Illusionist
 Bella™
Msg: 150
God in a word
Posted: 11/30/2008 8:01:34 PM
Illusionist

I just saw Criss Angel in Vegas this past week .. he's definitely hotstuff, but I'm not so sure
I'd call him God.

Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  > God in a word