Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  > God in a word      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Wind Chimez
Msg: 201
God in a wordPage 9 of 12    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12)
^^^^ that's two words
 Yappy lil Pine Needle
Msg: 202
God in a word
Posted: 12/10/2008 1:31:37 PM
worships meatloafs

Well, I get more from the meatloaf then I do from "god" atleast its real and I can stick a fork in it (((I just shape it like a voodoo doll and then bake it )))
 Life is Always Good
Msg: 203
God in a word
Posted: 12/10/2008 2:33:20 PM

The trouble with learning lifes lessons the hard way, someone might lose a life and they can never be given a second chance

Don't have the answer, but.........Methinks there is something out there.
 redlipstick.
Msg: 204
God in a word
Posted: 12/11/2008 12:31:39 AM
i could think up many

artificial
 XHTML
Msg: 205
God in a word
Posted: 12/11/2008 11:35:41 AM
Today I was stopped behind a vehicle at one of our five traffic lights, and read the bumper sticker affixed to its rear bumper. I think its message is relevant to this topic.

The bumper sticker's message:

It is difficult to convince someone you're killing them for their own good.

I think some of the millions who have been slaughtered at the hands of others might agree, if they were alive to voice their opinion here.
 Life is Always Good
Msg: 206
God in a word
Posted: 12/11/2008 12:58:34 PM
Then of course, we've got the cows, chickens...... Do they live forever if they believe. Cow's may seem dumb, but I've met people with less smarts.
 James Bottomtooth III
Msg: 207
God in a word
Posted: 12/11/2008 8:24:01 PM
F.S.M. Flying Spaghetti Monster
 Montevideo
Msg: 208
God in a word
Posted: 12/13/2008 7:15:02 PM
Who knows.

Maybe Santa Claus could tell us.
 Xavery
Msg: 209
God in a word
Posted: 12/13/2008 7:24:35 PM
<quote>I think some of the millions who have been slaughtered at the hands of others might agree, if they were alive to voice their opinion here. </quote>

This isn't as black and white as it seems. Christ, too, was slaughtered and forgave those who slaughtered him right before he died.

And then you need to consider that some people who are slaughter are already dead inside ... have died an emotional death perhaps due to abuse and trauma.
 jjwills
Msg: 210
God in a word
Posted: 12/13/2008 9:56:41 PM
^^^^WOW!!
That is the best thing I read so far, with such few words and from someone who doesn't believe...amazing.
 XHTML
Msg: 211
God in a word
Posted: 12/13/2008 10:09:14 PM

I think some of the millions who have been slaughtered at the hands of others might agree, if they were alive to voice their opinion here.

This isn't as black and white as it seems. Christ, too, was slaughtered and forgave those who slaughtered him right before he died.

So you are suggesting that Jesus forgiving his killers can be offered as forgiveness by the millions? That does not make any sense.

And then you need to consider that some people who are slaughter are already dead inside ... have died an emotional death perhaps due to abuse and trauma.

Exactly why must we consider this?
 Xavery
Msg: 212
God in a word
Posted: 12/14/2008 5:53:08 PM
Hmmm- the original topic is becoming lost. If you want to believe god is cruel, he will forgive you, so I am not going to waste my breath.

I will say that I think that there are 3 omni words that are supposed to describe God - omnipotent, omniscient and omnipresent. I seem to recall this when I studied Milton's Paradise Lost. I think omniscient is my favorite of these 3 words, so the OP was on track.

"Exactly why (should) we consider this?"

It is always helpful to try to see things from other angles - to approach a state of omniscience. The only way one will ever do this is to consider things from different angles. The poster who wrote about people being slaughtered failed to consider that people can be alive and already slaughtered and it is this group of people who can be very dangerous. Being slaughtered does not always lead to physical death.
 XHTML
Msg: 213
God in a word
Posted: 12/14/2008 6:19:17 PM
Being slaughtered does not always lead to physical death.

According to accepted definitions of the word "slaughtered" it certain means physical death, and rather an unpleasant one at that.

From http://www.thefreedictionary.com/slaughtered

slaugh·ter
n.
1. The killing of animals especially for food.
2. The killing of a large number of people; a massacre

.v. slaugh·tered, slaugh·ter·ing, slaugh·ters
1. To kill (animals) especially for food; butcher.
a. To kill (people) in large numbers; massacre.
b. To kill in a violent or brutal manner.

From http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/slaughtered

slaughter
1: to kill (animals) for food : butcher
2 a: to kill in a bloody or violent manner : slay b: to kill in large numbers : massacre
3: to discredit, defeat, or demolish completely

From http://www.yourdictionary.com/slaughter

slaughter Definition
slaugh·ter (slôt'?r)
noun
the killing of an animal or animals for food; butchering
the killing of a human being, esp. in a brutal manner
the killing of people in large numbers, as in battle
Informal a complete defeat or victory
 Xavery
Msg: 214
God in a word
Posted: 12/14/2008 7:06:29 PM
Okay, let me reword it. Death is not always physical. It is important not to be too literal when exploring abstract concepts like God or you get stuck. In fact, it may well be the key to understanding such abstractions. One should be willing to do as the cliche suggests and think outside of the box or in the case of what is written above outside of the rectangle. All I am suggesting is that people die emotionally and spiritually. It is not really profound.

Mountain Lion 1
Msg: 215
view profile
History
God in a word
Posted: 12/14/2008 7:20:49 PM
Thus Spoke Zarathustra, (F. Nietzsche)

.......Go not to men, but stay in the forest! Go rather to the animals! Why not be like me- a bear amongst bears, a bird amongst birds?" "And what doeth the saint in the forest?" asked Zarathustra.The saint answered: "I make hymns and sing them; and in making hymns I laugh and weep and mumble: thus do I praise God. With singing, weeping, laughing, and mumbling do I praise the God who is my God.

* Zarathustra's Prologue, part 2

* When Zarathustra was alone, however, he said to his heart: "Could it be possible! This old saint in the forest hath not yet heard of it, that God is dead!"

NotBroken
Msg: 216
God in a word
Posted: 12/15/2008 11:17:50 AM
The word "god" is meaningless to me. The concept(s) is/are not meaningless, just the word. I don't think there is a coherent definition of "god" ... there are far too many forms of (pan/poly/mono) theism/deism for the word to be narrowed down.

Until I find a coherent definition of "god", I find any argument about his/her/its existance also meaningless.
 Life is Always Good
Msg: 217
God in a word
Posted: 2/18/2009 12:47:42 AM
God cannot be defined. You believe or you don't.
 MediaNaranja
Msg: 218
God in a word
Posted: 2/18/2009 1:21:17 AM
^^^ So, is that like saying that the painting cannot comprehend its author, the artist that created it?

MN
 Life is Always Good
Msg: 219
God in a word
Posted: 2/18/2009 9:03:40 AM
I believe it's still out there. As a result, we have the recent gunplay in the streets.
 viper6996
Msg: 220
God in a word
Posted: 2/18/2009 9:18:26 AM
I use God or what ever deity a person chooses to believe in quite a bit in my day to day interaction with others.

I figure if anyone puts any amount of stock into the existence of some benevolent being or entity to which there is no tangible evidence of it's work or powers then that person is not dealing with a full deck and is treated as such.

And if ANYONE treats the bible anymore than a work of fiction and nonsense and uses it as a guide to living then I pretty much file that person under "Ignore".
 MediaNaranja
Msg: 221
God in a word
Posted: 2/18/2009 9:24:24 AM

I will say that I think that there are 3 omni words that are supposed to describe God - omnipotent, omniscient and omnipresent.I think omniscient is my favorite of these 3 words, so the OP was on track.

Three words...And having to choose ONE...
If He is omniscient (all knowing) would that make Him all- powerful and always present?
Or would being omnipotent, He would become all- knowing and always present?

Just thinking out loud a bit...

MN
 viper6996
Msg: 222
God in a word
Posted: 2/18/2009 9:30:20 AM
Hans Solo said it best

“Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no substitute for a good blaster at your side”
 Ideoform
Msg: 223
view profile
History
God in a word
Posted: 2/18/2009 10:07:24 AM
God. G O O D. I think it was an ancient misspelling.

A parable:

A long, long time ago, a tribe of ancient people had just decided they were "People." (Before they were a group of individuals or families, but they had been too busy survivng to give it much thought.) To become a People, they had started to see how their destiny's were joined together...fighting Tigers, hunting Antelope, building huts, all were easier done in groups where one person could hold one end of the log, while the other grabbed the other end.

This group survived somewhat more successfully than the other group over the hill from them, because they combined their efforts in a more or less organized fashion. The "People" noticed this difference, and decided they were unique. The term People thus didn't include the guys over the hill.

After a while, they started doing this thing called anticipating the future. They noticed fall was coming and the squirrels didn't eat all their food, or let it spoil, they stored it and found it again during the winter. This planning was hard to pass on to children, who are notoriously forgetful. So they put it into a story about a squirrel, and the squirrel became rather popular, kind of like Sponge Bob.

Planning was such a big improvement, that they almost didn't seem like just People anymore compared to the guys over the hill--they were the Special People Who Always Had Food To Eat Even In The Winter. This was hard to say when referring to themselves, so they just shortened it to Special People (in their ancient language.)

They did so much planning that it was getting hard to remember everything, even with the stories. So they began carving reminders into their pots, and onto the walls of their bedrooms and such. Like, "Best to get Antelope in the Spring when they are calving." (Or something similar.) After writing this out, the main guy saw it, and said "Good."

Everything that worked like this was really, really good. Important, even. Important, good, worth remembering, worth passing down to your offspring. So all this Good stuff, was generalized to that...it was Good. The stories began referring to "The Good." Whatever was good for all of the Special People was Good. This Good was hard to come up with something like the squirrel for stories. Sometimes the good was a huge, protective lion. Sometimes it was a Wolf, or a special place where the main guy would go by a waterfall to wash up. Sometimes it was finding the best mate, who was the most beautiful People person ever.

At some point, Good began to refer to that inner compass that gave the People the ideas for planning, and saving food, and working in groups together in the first place. Whenever a People person had a decision to make, he often thought about "What is the Good thing to do?" It ended up being something like; "What would be Good for me, and my family, as well as the People?" Sometimes this took a lot of thought, so sometimes he would go away to the waterfall place where it was quiet to sort it all out. Because sometimes the answer wasn't so clear and obvious.

The guy who did this a lot, often came up with the best answers, so other People asked his advice sometimes. And it usually was pretty good advice, and it saved everyone from all having to do time by the waterfall to come up with their own ideas.

Eventually, Good got shortened to God, by this guy who did all the carving into the rocks. Much quicker.
 FunnyAndSweet48
Msg: 224
God in a word
Posted: 2/18/2009 1:02:13 PM

I would say that god is everyone and everything in an interconenected state of being. In one word God is, "ALL"

God is also known as "The Great I AM" because He just IS. I totally love that song. Obviously those who have faith in God & live their lives with Him in their hearts do so because it works for them.

I don't understand why those who choose not to believe in God would try to take away something that is a positive influence in someone else's life by discouraging them from believing in something that gives them hope, encouragement & helps to keep them content & remain sane through life's ups & downs.

If you know that something makes another person happy, even if you don't believe or agree with it yourself, wouldn't you want to encourage them to continue doing that which makes them happy? Isn't that just a normal & healthy part of human to human interaction, to want the best for others?

For example, in my last relationship, he was raised Christian but chose not to practice it. He was happy just going about his life (as dysfunctional as it was) without including God in it. I respected his wishes not to attend church & he respected my wishes to attend church.

One day, he received a call to say that he was fired from his job & that a series of letters would be arriving in the mail. There was no valid reason for this. A month of not being allowed to work while the union was fighting for his job & the final decision was made that he was fired.

I was in the hospital, having had several surgeries the previous day. When he came to visit me, I realized that he had hit rock bottom, hadn't slept in days & was in deep depression that his lifetime career had come to an end. I slid over in my hospital bed so he could lie down & I held him as he cried on my shoulder then we both fell asleep for several hours. He was sleep-deprived & I was loaded on morphine injections.

Up to that point, he had refused to let me pray for him when he was sick or in crisis. Well, he was so broken that day that before he left, he allowed me to hold his hand & pray with/for him & his job situation from my hospital bed. As I started praying for him (out loud), he began sobbing because the words in my prayer touched him deeply. He said that he had never heard anyone pray so sincerely from the heart using normal speech before, vs. the recited & memorized prayers we had both grown up with.

When he came to visit me the following day, he said that about 2 minutes after I had prayed for him, as he was headed to the elevator in the hospital, his boss called his cell to say that he still had his job, that the firing was an inter-office error & that he would be compensated for the month he hadn't been allowed to work. Why do I believe in miracles & that God answers prayer? This is just one of MANY reasons.

Disbelief dismissed.
 viper6996
Msg: 225
God in a word
Posted: 2/18/2009 2:05:10 PM

When he came to visit me the following day, he said that about 2 minutes after I had prayed for him, as he was headed to the elevator in the hospital, his boss called his cell to say that he still had his job, that the firing was an inter-office error & that he would be compensated for the month he hadn't been allowed to work. Why do I believe in miracles & that God answers prayer? This is just one of MANY reasons.

Disbelief dismissed.

See while you got God all busy with you and your son's HUGE problem he was too busy to keep a bunch of religious lunatics from plowing a couple of planes into some buildings KILLING thousands of people in the process.

If this is the work of the God of which you speak then we have got an idiot in power who is stoned out of his mind and is a menace to himself and those he is charged with looking after. It's kinda like having the janitor at the hospital running the CAT scan machine.

No good can come of it.

If this is the work of a omnipresent being that loves all then I want no part of that deal.

I'll be quite happy going my own way with the help of few people I keep close to me.

If you want to believe in nonsense then by all means go ahead and I'll even be willing to pick up a weapon to protect your right to do so if at any point that right is threatened BUT keep it in your home and your chosen venue of worship.

Please don't interject your religion or beliefs into my affairs or my dealings with the state. (I don't mean you personally, just the herd that most have chosen to blindly follow)
Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  > God in a word