Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > The High Cost of Exercise      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 compleat_man
Msg: 2
The High Cost of ExercisePage 3 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
sounds pretty cheap compared to open-heart surgery (at least $100,000)

or diabetes treatments, or the thousands of dollars you would or more likely will soon spend on medications for all the diseases that will set in earlier with a sedentary lifestyle, vs. one filled with healthy exercise..
 ForaktarU
Msg: 3
The High Cost of Exercise
Posted: 11/29/2008 6:01:10 PM
I have done the math too.

People like you just need the right incentive. Perhaps a sunami will mow
you out and you will be forced to scavenge for food.
Or, you may end up like that dude from the movie Castaway.

Thou thats unlikely, for 875 bucks ill be your woman and chase you around
with a frying pan with the added bonus of tantilizing you with my
reasonating voice.
Im sure in one month you will be down 20 or 30 pounds.

PS,usually it takes 2 weeks because im well trained.
 Msh90
Msg: 4
Posted: 11/29/2008 8:48:02 PM
Well find an exersize you love and can't live without then do whatever it costs to do that exersize.

Exersize is expencieve I've done the maths and here is my yearly bill for exersize alone....

Bootcamp 3 mornings a week ($270)
Gym fees $80 a month ($960)
Oztag $90
Netball (free - it's a work funded team)
Gym clothes/equiptment $400
Boxing ($200)
so that's almost $2000 bucks a year!!!! in Australian dollars

but you can't put a price on looking great and feeling great if I were you forget the treadmill it wont be used unless you have the self dicipline. Try the gym but you have the wrong idea already a 20 minute drive. Who drives to the gym!!! a 20 minute drive is a 30 minute run and free exersize!!
 ImAHotMess
Msg: 5
Posted: 11/30/2008 8:37:15 AM
A gym membership, using it and eating right is far cheaper than any heart surgery, diabetes, and a bunch of other things that can happen....not to mention beats feeling like shit all the time. ONCE I was a bit overweight from a nasty horse accident and it drove me insane to be on crutches for almost a year. Do not join a gym to go stare at women ( that's retarded,) go to one to get yourself in shape. Not to mention, junk food and poor eating habbits are not cheap either. I love it when people say "Oh, I cannot afford a gym." But they just paid a $50 or $70 dollar bar tab for 2 hours of gaining weight. I think your thought for going 3 to 5 times a week is great. It will take you a while to get used to, but 4 months from now, you will have NO regrets. And diet is about 80% of it. So, just because you go and "work out" does not mean go hog wild (literally) on tragic foods. Good luck, I hope you do this for yourself.
 SLAFFA
Msg: 6
Posted: 11/30/2008 5:31:52 PM
OP, not only is your attitude poor - like so many Americans these days- but you are asking the wrong question. I think the real COST should be readily apparent IF you will simply take the time to answer a few QUESTIONS. I will stick to just a few basic ones.

Do you go to sleep quickly and easily and sleep through the night?

Does climbing a single flight of stairs render you useless for the next fifteen minutes or an hour or ???

Can you "run" or play with your dog or children the way you would like?

Regardless of your height, I am "guessing" that you would be tickled to be 50 pounds lighter from looking at your pics ... if not 100?

Do you have Diabetes already or realize that your [current] lifestyle/eating habits most likely have you on that pathway?

Just guessing again here... how much are you currently spending on meds either prescription and/or over the counter PER MONTH?

You can "probably" give up most if not all of the Meds you are taking plus sleep better AND feel better IF you simply become "Fit" through SOME form of Aerobic activity. On a regular basis. In all likliehood, get "sick" much less often. I feel certain you already realize at least some of the above.

Regardless of all the naysayers above, YES, a treadmill is for most people, the best investment of TIME AND MONEYa person can make in themselves IMO because of One Simple thing. EXCUSES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A treadmill will/can eliminate just about any EXCUSE in the book. You won't need any special/fancy clothes or shoes... Won't have to fight traffic and burn petrol in a more than likely gas guzzling car. Heck you can treadmill naked if you want!

Weather? Irrelevant, no matter the heat or cold outside...

Variety!!! A good treadmill will allow you to vary elevation and speed. Higher elevation increases the workout tremendously so allows you to "walk briskly" but still get the same benefits as "running" at a much higher speed. This simply means less pounding on the legs and joints - not a good thing for overweight folks.

Also, Consumer Reports reports in their Reader Surveys on a regular basis that more people report sticking to their treadmills more than any othere piece of equipment. It IS the most natural form of exercise there is and uses the largest muscles in the body, the thighs, to move the most weight, [do the most WORK] and therefor burn more calories than most any other piece of equipment unless you are supporting your weight with your arms and/or walking at a snails pace.

Two important things!!! One, make sure it is stable and reasonably QUIET before purchasing because Two, it needs to be in FRONT of a tv. This will eliminate the biggest excuse of all - I don't have TIME for exercise. Surely you watch at least a half hour of tv a day? A pair of wireless headphones or a 25 foot headphone extension cord work wonders here...

My treadmill cost 800 bucks on sale, is over 8 years old and has at least 2500 hours on it if not 3000. Total maintenance to date? Less than 50 bucs. I have not been sick AT ALL during this time and don't take any Meds at all for anything not even vitamins. I attribute ALL of this to my treadmill. The way I see it? A Treadmill is one of the best ways to SAVE money [if used on a regular basis] not to mention how it will make you feel. Most likely will add at least 10 if not 20 or MORE "productive" years to your life. Anything wrong with that?

Just one opinion...
 Msh90
Msg: 7
Posted: 11/30/2008 8:51:54 PM
That's Australian dollars and it's pretty average for a gym.
 compleat_man
Msg: 8
Posted: 12/2/2008 8:52:37 AM
^^

Again, there is a cost to everything. You can pay for maintenance or you can pay for many hospital stays, medications or even a coffin! The question I pose to you is this - would you rather pay a little extra a month for your maintance to enjoy a healthy lifestyle or pay with your ill health or even your life! It's your choice! Life - whether healthy or ill - is by choice not chance!!!

excellent post & good points!

there used to be an old ad for Fram oil filters, where a mechanic would say :

"you can pay me now (but the good quality filter), or pay me later (for an engine rebuild) "

telling people not to be so cheap skimping on the filter, which would end up costing them a lot more later..

Important for your car engine? a thousand-fold more important for your BODY (the only one you get..)

"a stitch in time saves nine".
 El_Mariachi
Msg: 9
Posted: 12/3/2008 12:32:07 PM
If there's anything exercise-wise that you like doing.. just do that.

For me... I LOVE walking.. so I do. I find excuses to walk to different places rather than ride the bus or subway or getting a lift. Since I don't drive, this works out really well. When I leave work.. a few nights a week, I'll walk to the subway station where I have to catch my bus, rather than get on the subway for 2 stops or I'll walk to work from that point where the bus is.

So this way I've built a small workout into my day-to-day life.

I'll do workouts off a tape or DVD I enjoy for extra exercise. Or I'll go to a public indoor or outdoor pool (season dependent) a couple times a month or more. In the winter, I'll go skating once or twice a week... but again... I ONLY do what I like to do anyway.

It helps me SO SO SO much to motivate myself that way because I would likely view exercise as a chore otherwise.
 INWITHTHENEW
Msg: 10
Posted: 12/3/2008 6:10:53 PM
Im kinda in the same boat...wondering if the gym membership is worth the gas money but after seeing my mom pass at 60 and leaving my dad kinda lost and confused, I really get it now that health is wealth.

What good will having all that saved gas money be if ur sitting in a nursing home somewhere due to poor health habits.
 Le0
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 12/3/2008 8:54:24 PM
I've only read the OP to be honest, but I have to disagree to some extent. Exercise is only as expensive as you want it to be.

The OP seems to mostly want to get the cardio done (considering treadmill purchase), but that is the easiest thing to do cheap. There are roads where you live, right? Why not just run (or jog... or even walk) there? If it's too cold, there are some pretty good cold weather running gear on the market these days. If it's too hot, do it after sunset or get some hot weather gear... And you already have a bike (though running is still a much better exercise as far as burning calories and building up cardio).

I have to be blunt here, it seems that the real issue is lack of motivation and the "high cost" is just rationalization for not doing it. Why else is the bike a rack for dirty clothes?

I'll be the first to admit that working out CAN be expensive. For me, it's the second-highest monthly expense after rent (though I count my diet as part of exercise regimen). But it entirely depends on how much of it you do, what tools you require, and ultimately on the goals you have.

Best advice I can give is: push through the "I-don't-wanna" and just do it, make exercise a part of your daily routine and put some effort into it every time you do it. You'll start feeling ( endorphins) and looking better (aka fitter), and after that you will not want to stop.
 JimmyD1963
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 12/5/2008 6:21:13 AM
You are also not taking into account that you would have the ability to do resistance training as well at the fitness center which would help build muscle and intern burn more calories. Believe me you won't use that treadmill anyways after a couple of weeks and it will be a clothes hanger or stuffed in your garage for years! Go to the gym and have realistic goals and you will be amazed how much better you feel.

Good luck!
 jyason
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 12/10/2008 4:22:51 PM
Thank you all for the excellent advice.

At this point in my life I'm going to have to go with the gym membership. I'm going to look at using the treadmills they have there and make sure there is a resting area for a dvd player. If so I'll go get a reasonable dvd player and beef up my netflix account.

Motivation is the hardest thing for me yes. I know I NEED to exercise but the THOUGHT of doing the exercise is daunting. I have done a walking program before and working out the soreness of those first few weeks I dont like contemplating.

Who knows. As it warms up again and I feel better about exercising I'll get my bike out and dust it off.
 jyason
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 12/17/2008 12:23:55 PM

Seriously, what can you do on a treadmill that you can't do outdoors?

I'm the type of person that can get lost in a book or movie but not music. I can literally shut out my environment and be engrossed in the plot. If I can do that for 30-45 minutes 3-4 days a week I think it'll go a longer way to my success.

I'm not really into the whole huff and puff around my community. I live in a very very small one and it may be pride but I'd rather not have a whole community of people I know oogling me. For that yes I'd rather go to a building full of ladies in spandex whom I don't know. At least I know we are all there for the same reason.
 compleat_man
Msg: 15
Posted: 12/30/2008 9:26:14 AM

yeah, got to quite pretending the problem lies in more analysis and 'finding out what to do'

the knowledge is there, and has been for decades,a bout exercsie & eating well..

"the problem is NOT in knowing what to do..

It's doing what you know.."

sparing maybe at most 1/2 hour every day or every other day..

so many people say they are "too busy"..then spend hours watching TV and/or on the internet each day..(like POF posters??) :)
 jyason
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 12/30/2008 11:17:18 AM
I've lost 23 lbs over the holidays even and honestly I didn't try that hard....

Whoot... go me...
 jyason
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 1/15/2009 9:33:59 PM
I lost another 10 lbs over this two weeks. Yay!!!
 arcticdude
Msg: 18
Posted: 1/18/2009 8:16:52 AM
OP, Go for a walk for 30 minutes /day instead of the 20 min drive to the health club...Try THAT math on for size...Muhahahaha!
 Xavery
Msg: 19
Posted: 1/18/2009 8:08:50 PM
Exercise is cheap. Just do it! You can run outdoors for free and if that does not work, walk. You can work in your garden. There are so many opportunites people have to exercise that they let slip right by them. Take the stairs! Don't park right by the frigging door - walk a little. The more you MOVE, just move, the fitter you will be.

Join a team. Walk to the store. Lift something heavy. Walk your dog. Plant a tree.

In Canada, local community centres are cheaper than gyms

You can watch a DVD and work out with it - over and over again.

Exericise is cheap, but the will to do it is sometimes lacking.
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > The High Cost of Exercise