Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 aremeself
Msg: 49
view profile
History
The Universe is both possible and impossible.Page 4 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
I thought it came from next to nothing.

the big bang.

I was warming up to that idea.

do things return to nothing, or at least very condenced, in black holes? theoretically of course.

sorry didnt read all of the posts.
 aremeself
Msg: 50
view profile
History
I think the word we are stuggling with is improbable.
Posted: 2/16/2009 1:18:48 AM
Wouldnt galaxys have had to go faster than the speed of light to get where they are?
 aremeself
Msg: 51
view profile
History
I think the word we are stuggling with is improbable.
Posted: 2/16/2009 2:17:27 AM
I see [smell] where you are coming from, but that idea stinks!
 Tenacious T
Msg: 52
The Universe is both possible and impossible.
Posted: 2/16/2009 8:50:20 AM
Why do you ASSUME that something cannot come from nothing. I hope it is not because of your mind. Your mind came from the universe!
 aremeself
Msg: 53
view profile
History
Posted: 12/8/2009 5:41:25 PM
what you are saying, I think, is that there obviously were different laws in effect before creation,[take that last word anyway you want] and even for a short time after it all appeared. [big bang, little bang, spurt, or whatever]

another dimension, different rules.
 AtomicGogol
Msg: 54
view profile
History
Posted: 12/10/2009 1:58:22 PM

The universe exist. Therefore, it is possible.

Without sounding like a cop-out, the universe can exist because it does. It's like the Babelfish argument from HHGG.

Since something cannot come from nothing, it is not possible for time, space, matter, or energy to exists. Therefore, it is not possible for universe to exist.

Virtual particle-antiparticle pairs are known to pop in and out of existence, and in the vicinity of a black hole, one falls in while another escapes, thus accounting for the infamous Hawking radiation around a black hole. This basically shows that, from our perspective, something can indeed come from nothing. If you want links to any of this info, I'll gladly help you out.

The universe could not have have always existed for a infinite length of time. Otherwise, since entropy is always increasing, it would have ran down to maximum entropy, and yet the only possibility is that the universe has always existed.

Our current understanding is that the universe is about 13.7 billion years old, so it hasn't existed forever. Since the universe is known to be expanding due to unknown forces, the uniformity of matter and energy will keep advancing until eventually (and I mean a VERY long time from now) everything will be evenly distributed with no matter or interaction between particles. The point is, the universe more than likely does have a beginning of sorts and will never have an end, even if nothing can exist in it by that time.
 coveredinpaint
Msg: 55
Posted: 12/10/2009 2:00:57 PM
Humans. So funny. You think that just because your life, and everything from your perspective has a beginning and an end, then ALL things must have the same type of linear beginning an ending. If you want to truly understand it, then don't think like a human. Think universally.
 AtomicGogol
Msg: 56
view profile
History
Posted: 12/10/2009 2:05:47 PM
If you want to truly understand it, then don't think like a human. Think universally.

Um... what?
 aremeself
Msg: 57
view profile
History
Posted: 12/10/2009 5:11:05 PM
think, there is no real stuff, just energy.

ok, other than energy, there is no real stuff.

help
 aremeself
Msg: 58
view profile
History
Posted: 12/10/2009 5:12:41 PM
think, there is no real stuff, just energy.

ok, other than energy, there is no real stuff.

help
 AtomicGogol
Msg: 60
view profile
History
Posted: 12/10/2009 8:07:26 PM

Clearly you're unfamiliar with Air Supply for they can make love out of nothing at all...out of nothing at all.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  >