Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  > Do you wear ear plugs to a music concert?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 *RINGS
Msg: 26
Do you wear ear plugs to a music concert?Page 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
vanity isn't worth damaging one's hearing over.

i don't care who see's that i have ear plug's in....why would i..

it's better that they see my ear plug's...than it would be for them to see my hearing aid..
not that there's anything wrong with hearing aids...but if you can avoid having to use one..

then why wouldn't you?...

i had my ear plug's in last night at metallica....and was glad i had them..
they weren't near as loud as ac/dc though...but they were still loud enough to warrant ear plug's...

i guess if you only go to 1 or 2 shows a yr it you might think it's no big deal about the plug's..
even then over the yrs you're jeopardizing your hearing..

every yr of my life i've went to almost every concert event ...
everything from country,comedy to rock and everything in between...

i hope to be able to be able to still hear them for many yrs to come.....
 whitetigeress
Msg: 27
Do you wear ear plugs to a music concert?
Posted: 12/3/2008 7:52:36 AM
I am lucky, I have hair long enough to cover my ears, so the earplugs are never visible. I think some of my male friends would like to wear them but don't like the idea of them being visible. I think they should wear them anyways, vanity isn't worth damaging one's hearing over.

^^
errrr... didnt you just contradict yourself? you say vanity isnt worth damaging hearing but you cover your ears with your long hair
lol
i can't take my hearing aid out or i wouldnt hear a thing(yes, sometimes that is a MARVELOUS thing )
but
a fact to make you go..................hmmmmmmmmmm ;)

(((slurps creamy-licious sugared coffee)
 Yappy lil Pine Needle
Msg: 28
Posted: 12/3/2008 7:59:38 AM
Emerald Sea, What exactly do the ear plugs do if they dont distort the music AT ALL then do they just make it sound lighter? kinda of like the volume is turned down? I am asking for my mothers sake as I stated before my hearing is perfect and I dont go to venues that would damage my ears, however my mothers hearing is failing which is really sad.
 XHTML
Msg: 29
Posted: 12/3/2008 8:34:05 AM
Yappy

The foam ear plugs I've worn do not muffle or distort the sound. They only reduce the very loud, damaging sound. They dampen the vibration that reaches your ear drum.

I've used the disposable memory foam type and am happy with them. They are inexpensive and be used several times before needing to be replaced.

You can get them at many retailers such as hardware stores, and I think even supermarkets.

Buy a pair and try them at your next concert. You can always take them out.

Here is a link to website you might want to visit.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earplug
 Wind Chimez
Msg: 30
Posted: 12/3/2008 7:25:39 PM
When I go to the Monster Truck Show at BC Place with my children we take ear defenders and so do many others... or they wear ear plugs!
Think it is the type of venue that influences people in what they do,and sadly from trying to fit in with the crowd some suffer permanent hearing loss. I do whatever I please and if I want to wear ear plugs , I will.

Wish I had paid more attention to the volume levels at the discos ( yeah they were called that way back when I was a youth) Should have stood further away from the speakers....you can't tell the young 'uns nothing.
 emerald sea
Msg: 31
Posted: 12/4/2008 12:43:59 AM
^^^White Tigress, my hair just happens to cover my ears so my friends have told me I am lucky as I don't have to think about the earplugs showing. I would wear them anyways, as my ears can't stand loud music and I am in a place with loud music nearly every Saturday.

And Yappy lil Pine Needle, I don't know how custom earplugs work exactly but when I have forgotten them and used foam ones, I did notice a difference in sound clarity. But for people who have never used custom ones, they wouldn't know any difference with the foam ones in.
 XHTML
Msg: 32
Posted: 12/4/2008 8:13:24 AM
emerald sea

Thank you for the information on the custom ear plugs. The number of dances or other loud-music events I get to attend here is not high so I may not be able to justify the expense over the memory foam type of plugs.

I will however inquire to determine if there are any local services that produce the custom type. That fact that the custom plugs fit and stay in place better is appreciated for the foam ones do loosen and work out, especially when dancing.

I really do enjoy music very much and hope to preserve my sense of hearing as much as I can.
 K3VLAR
Msg: 33
Posted: 12/4/2008 1:15:15 PM
I try to bring a pair of earplugs tob shows. Cuz I'm usually right in front of the stage, beside a speaker or something. If I forget to bring ear plugs, I just roll up a bit of toilet paper and jam it in there. There's been a couple of times before I started wearing earplugs, that I woke up the next morning with my ears still ringing. the Voodoo Glow Skulls, and the Real McKenzies are two of the loudest bands I've ever seen!!
 BikerBiker53
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 12/12/2008 1:40:58 PM
Sad to think that some people would rather be stone deaf, and look cool, than to have an ounce of prevention, and use it.

Nothing would make me happier, if I didnt have the constant ringing in my ears,..and have to ask repeatedly ,..."WHAT ?"

Due to many historic Rock Concerts, 50 Caliber Machine Gun Fire, and the report of the Ships 5Inch Gun,...the constant ringing in my ears drives me crazy.....

The use of a box fan, 365 nights a year, helps create "White Noise" so as to somewhat drown out the ringing, so I can get what passes for sleep.

So,..."Look Cool",....or save yourself major problems, by buying a box of squishy Foam Ear Plugs,....you can still hear most sounds, just at a comfortable level......

Or be prepaired to keep asking ...."WHAT?",... to people with monotone voices.
 Entzauberung
Msg: 35
Posted: 5/11/2009 1:57:19 PM
I read the following in another thread:

"Had I not been wearing a bra, he would have had an earplug too."

This is something for guys to keep in mind when planning to go to concerts.

When you pay for admission you explain to the person at the wicket you are buying only the one ticket for yourself, and pointing to your buxom lady companion "... these are my ear plugs."
 FunnyAndSweet48
Msg: 36
Posted: 5/11/2009 2:42:57 PM
^^^In that case, maybe I should stand outside BC Place Stadium & offer to rent my "earplugs" out to those who can't handle the loud music. Wonder if anyone would go for it? Sure beats using foam or cotton.

Only problems I foresee is if I stand behind them to plug their ears from behind, I would get a sore back from bending forward for the duration of the concert & my butt would block the view of the person behind me ... unless ... If I plug their ears from the front, they wouldn't be able to see a thing ... but somehow I don't think they would really mind.
 Whiskey Woman
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 5/12/2009 1:27:54 AM
Live music actually sounds better with earplugs in. You just have to experiment a little to see where in the ear gives you the best sound.

Musicians all wear them now. Why shouldn't the crowd?
 DAKOTATRUCKCOUNTRY
Msg: 38
Posted: 5/12/2009 1:30:32 AM
If the music has got a good heart thumping beat, and music that I just love, NOPE, NO ear plugs at at all.

Got to "Listen To The Music", Doobie Brothers, and love that sound of screaming guitars, to rock to.
 You go first
Msg: 39
Posted: 8/26/2009 8:18:30 PM
I'm going to see AC/DC on Saturday, and yes, I will be taking earplugs. They're so loud you can feel the vibrations through your whole body anyway, and all you really need to hear is the bass.... YAAAA!
 meat me
Msg: 40
Posted: 8/26/2009 8:35:52 PM
That would be paramount to paying full price for light cigarettes.
No !
I live life till it hurts !
Full speed ahead, and damn the torpedoes!
 *RINGS
Msg: 41
Posted: 8/27/2009 1:09:54 AM
i'm going back to ad/dc again this yr..i'm taking my 7yr old to his 1st concert..and we will both have ear plugs..i've seen ac/dc 6 times..this will make # 7..i wish i would have used ear plugs every time i seen them..or anyone else for that matter..:)
 whitetigeress
Msg: 42
Posted: 8/27/2009 8:27:34 AM
Nahhhh... I just turn off my hearing aids......buahahahaaaa

I remember being at the last AC/DC concert ...coming out I noticed everyone screaming at each other or shaking their heads trying to recover their hearing
I clicked back on my aids and said... why are you shouting?

Hells Bells baby
 Alli_oop
Msg: 43
Posted: 8/27/2009 3:08:50 PM
I wear earplugs in loud places. I lost the hearing in my left ear about 16 years ago, so need to protect the other. Although I have been stupid and put myself in dumb situations.

There's a big Taiko group that comes here now and then that I've seen a few times since the loss. They have a bunch of those tiny drums that they hit with the little sticks (local groups do too, but a smaller amount). Those are really painful on m ear. I have to cover it for sure.

I don't listen to music on my ipod a lot, but i do now and then and have the volume locked to i think half way or less.
 LadyDelilah
Msg: 44
Posted: 8/27/2009 4:26:23 PM
A large number of musicians that I have worked with wear ear plugs on stage and so do I. If you want to go deaf, standing near a tenor sax for four hours oughta do it!

I'm goin to AC/DC with my trusty little plugs and I will hear everything quite nicely thank you.
 Mountain Lion 1
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Posted: 8/27/2009 6:12:45 PM
now why would I go and pay for a concert and then plug my friggin ears????
can barely hear as it is...
WHAT???????????
 Worse Than Ever
Msg: 46
Posted: 8/29/2009 12:14:37 AM
exactly! it's like wearing an oral condom to a wine tasting...LOOOOOOOL!!!!!
 esp60
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Posted: 8/29/2009 12:32:00 AM
since my hearing is already shot,i'm not putting plugs in any orifices..ever
 es138
Msg: 48
Posted: 8/29/2009 12:37:49 AM
I think ear plugs make live music sound better. Even more strange, I feel that when I have earplugs in at a show, and a friend is trying to tell me something over the loud music, I can hear them better than if I take the plugs out.
 Worse Than Ever
Msg: 49
Posted: 8/29/2009 12:39:53 AM
oh yeah i can hear better when someone's sitting RIGHT ON MY FACE!!!!! yeah that's right - i know it defies the laws of physics - do you think i'm having a spiritual experience or just debasing myself while in the throes of an acid flashback?
 meat me
Msg: 50
Posted: 8/29/2009 1:56:56 AM
You could sit on my face, if you think that would be more enjoyable!
Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  > Do you wear ear plugs to a music concert?