Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > What are Some Examples of True Love?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Barbarella36
Msg: 73
What are Some Examples of True Love?Page 4 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)

True love - lasts over time and distance. . . he takes my breath away every time I see him . . . and yet not able to really breathe when I'm not with him.
The love of my life went up against his family, his culture, his traditions, his Middle East religion and was disowned by his mother when he told her that he was going to marry me.....An outspoken, independent, once divorced, American woman. I found this to be the ultimate of sacrifices and gifts of true love. And my heart still beats faster each time I see him.
That's very touching
 bedrumeyes
Msg: 74
What are Some Examples of True Love?
Posted: 12/18/2008 2:20:06 PM
One thing I remember from being a kid is a man that worked in a garage down my street. He was an older guy and he had been married since he was in high school. He let me hang out and let me watch him work on cars. When it was lunch time his wife would always bring him a lunch. Sometimes it was hot and sometimes it was a sandwich. He would always clean off a place for her to sit down and they would share it. He never called him his wife he always called her his bride. When ever I think of being married I think of that guy and his bride.
 SexySingle1
Msg: 75
Posted: 12/18/2008 4:26:57 PM

True love, is the inability to think rationally where the person concerned is involved, and it can mean living when you want to die, or dieing so another may live, but its not rational, its not something you think about. Its being so in touch with the other person that entire conversations are spoken without words.

It's hard to explain what true love is, because it’s like trying to explain what the color blue is to someone who is blind. Mere words are inadequate, poetry maybe be better, pure instrumental music better still. It is a state of being.

(MSg 66) That really touched me. That was beautiful!!!
 warmweatherlb
Msg: 76
Posted: 12/18/2008 5:40:45 PM
True love is definitely something that is God given.
 summer_skyca1
Msg: 77
Posted: 12/18/2008 6:00:07 PM
How about driving down the road and stopping just to pick flowers because you know your gf likes them? Going for a walk at dusk with your bf because he likes to go for walks at that time even though you know you will get eaten alive by mosquitoes.
 DharmaF
Msg: 78
view profile
History
Posted: 12/18/2008 6:25:54 PM
True love is the yearning to make another person happy on an instinctual level. Selfless acts, bundles of patience, when they hurt- you hurt. When they're happy - you're happy. To want to give without the expectation of anything in return but to bring happiness to another person. Devotion.

Little kind acts on a bad day. Making you laugh when you want to cry.

Need I go on?
 Saturday Night Rocks
Msg: 79
Posted: 12/18/2008 8:42:29 PM

Lassie and Timmy?
 Dazzling Girl
Msg: 80
view profile
History
Posted: 12/18/2008 8:47:41 PM
Hmmm....example of true love....

The long gas lines of the 1970's--my dad would take my mom's car to get it filled up so she wouldn't have to wait in line to get gas.

When one considers that my dad is not the most patient of souls and HATES waiting in line, this is major indeed.
 luvmysaturday
Msg: 81
Posted: 12/18/2008 9:08:21 PM
On crisp nights when the sheets were cold, he would lay on my side of the bed while I was brushing my teeth to warm them up so that I would feel good when I slipped into bed. That was awesome. ((sigh))
 Ladytabor
Msg: 82
Posted: 12/18/2008 10:05:48 PM
Picture me in my living room cleaning, a total mess from all the house work with the radio on. "Unchained Melody" comes over the radio and my husband who is now passed away walks thru the door and without hesitation takes me into his arms and slow dances with me. Only one small example of true love.

Now picture me standing beside his hospital bed after sleeping in the lobby for ten days waiting and praying that my true love will make it and on the tenth day loving him enough to stand by his side while he takes his last breath and tell him it's okay to leave me even tho I want more than anything to beg him not to leave me. One big example of true love.

There are many ways to express and demostrate true love, sometimes they are small things like something as simple as fixing your mate a cup of hot tea when they are sick without being asked or a gentle touch to let them know you are beside them when they are facing a difficult situation. True love is having an arguement and then making up and forgetting it ever happened. It is a lot of things and not only is the couple aware of it but it is usually very visible to other people.
 Autumn Marie
Msg: 83
view profile
History
Posted: 12/18/2008 11:09:05 PM
Since I think I can honestly say I never was truly in love, though I sure as heck thought it/believed it once, heh. The only example I can suggest is photography. Through certain photos, usually the "engagement" photoshoots, you can see how deeply the two are in love, it is inspiring and you just know by seeing some of those photos, that there's no acting behind it. There's no specific posing that can convey such an emotion, when it is not real.
 La Gioconda
Msg: 84
Posted: 12/18/2008 11:32:41 PM
ladytabor:

Now picture me standing beside his hospital bed after sleeping in the lobby for ten days waiting and praying that my true love will make it and on the tenth day loving him enough to stand by his side while he takes his last breath and tell him it's okay to leave me even tho I want more than anything to beg him not to leave me. One big example of true love.

Thank you for sharing your very private moments, this was beautiful. This is how I think of Love, that it is rather an 'awareness' that an 'emotion'. Although we feel hurt but we follow the wish of our loved ones, sometimes it means helping them to depart from this lifetime, and sometimes it is simple acceptance of things we have no control of, without anger and judgment.

In romantic relationship, I think infatuation period is the period every couple is going through, but I find it selfish and self observent, and nothing wrong with that, it is a journey. I think Ameerra, in post 61 summerized it very well. Eros, this is the initial attraction that brought us together.

The infatuation period will eventually end, and there is another test if we are going to make to the next stage. I think when we are truly connected on some deeper level, the relationship will anchor itself even stronger, once infatuation period is over, and it is only getting more interesting.

Agape - hmmmm, this is devine, but there were many battles that one had to conquer prior to arriving at agape, mainly conquering our egos.

daisypetals has summerized in this post:

They have worked through EVERYTHING. Believe me, I have seen the events that have storm-tossed their marriage and they have come through. Not throwing it out with the dishwater when the going gets a bit tough. They believed in their vows to each other 30 yrs. ago.
 esad
Msg: 85
view profile
History
Posted: 12/19/2008 1:40:21 AM
There are NO bad examples here folks. True Love means very different things to
everyone. Therein lies the Secret, yes?
Figuring out that the last bite of cheese cake means something to
the other person and then being willing, no happy, about making sure they
get it.. Knowing that a pencil sharpener will make someone
laugh/smile/glow.

When i was 18 i worked with a very OLD man ( he must have been 45!),
named George. He drank, used Speed, and looked like Grizzly Adams
after the Bear won their argument. He was a big guy that had probably
been handsome four or five million galleons of booze ago, but now
looked 20 years older than he was and was a good fifty pounds
above his Ideal Fighting Weight.
Then one day he started coming to work with his hair combed,
in clean shirts, and only swore every other sentence.
Something strange was happening.
After a few weeks of harassment he admitted he had run into a High School
Sweetheart and was “In Love”! This of course resulted in days of ball-busting
jokes at his expense. It got worse when we saw a picture of this woman.
It was difficult to think they could be the same age.
One day while eating lunch ( as opposed to his usual drinking a lunch
of a pint of Mad Dog 20-20) he told a couple of us his story.

After a few dates with this woman, George was surprised when she got
suddenly cold during a dinner at a very expensive Restaurant. He questioned
her and finally she confessed that she was upset because George had been
staring at their waitresses legs.
“Hey! I am with you! I don’t want her. But i am a guy. I’m gonna look!
I wouldn’t be upset if you looked at a cute waiter.!” he said.
“ That’s just it, George. When i am with you I DON’T ‘look’. I don’t
even notice other men! I love you and you are the only man i “see’ “
she explained.

Well, George thought she was “ fulluvit” But he watched her for the
next few weeks and realized she was telling the truth. She NEVER
“Looked”. He took her to places where they would be surrounded
by younger guys, in better shape than he, and she never “looked”.

To George, this was True Love! He insisted they get married.
 JasonGrimm
Msg: 86
Posted: 12/19/2008 8:28:09 PM
lol A lot of bitterness in this thread. I'm hearing things like, "I loved her, gave her my all, sacrificed my life for her, then she shot a hole in my wall, shot my dog, and went for me next!"

Seriously though, I'll give this a try.

I wonder if the way I see relationships and true differently or not. You be the judge. I see it as caring and loving someone. Working together as a team in life. Being able to communicate and work out your differences. Being there for each other especially when you need each other most. Being best friends. That's usually how my relationships are. Not to say I haven't had a couple psychos.

One example.
Their was one girl I went out with for over a few years. She didn't have much and had a bad childhood. She was like Cinderella. Very good looking but in rags. We had a lot in common. I bought her new clothes. She did things for me too. We helped each other out a lot.

One day McDonald's had an inspector gadjet happy meal toys set. If you got all the pieces it would make one big Inspector Gadjet. As a child I always wanted one but never got it. So she went out with her friend who drives and is a McDonald's manager, to McDonald's all over 2 different states. Going from one to the next asking if they had such and such piece. She was out for hours doing this. She came home and surprised me with it and I thought it was so awesome that she did that. She didn't have much money but what matters is what she did. I thought it was a really special thing. I don't think many girls would do that just to fulfill a little childhood memory. To some it may seem like something small but to me it was a lot.

Their was more things I could give as examples but I'm not sure how good it would be for my profile history to be talking about exs lol.
 grizzz12
Msg: 87
Posted: 7/6/2009 5:02:00 PM
You are "Spoken For" Each side has valid arguments and 'bents

That said-be interesting how your sig other & and you would discuss this here as Moderator and Representative of Mgmt's position.
 grizzz12
Msg: 88
Posted: 7/6/2009 5:09:27 PM
That is great writing & heartfelt. As a freelance---I 'felt it.' Immediately my jocular (uh, huh) & and oft ***hole part of self went into 'quiet/introspective mode. I was in your shoes--I felt--the pain you just BRIEFLY sketched for readers who can get outside of themselves.

I want to hug your parents & take all hurts away.

Yes --I do have a heart, Too big -so I bury it & cover it with a scathing wit I am NOT always so proud of.................

Thank you.........................
 BigDaddyJinx
Msg: 89
view profile
History
Posted: 7/6/2009 5:13:26 PM

Cleaning your partner's bedpan or sheets if they have an "accident" while under the weather or recuperating from some operation etc.

Or holding their hair while they puke their guts out.
 Pashune
Msg: 90
view profile
History
Posted: 7/6/2009 5:15:29 PM
When she refuses to let me pay for lunch/dinner most of the time?

She really knows how to make me feel spoiled.. and she'll probably pop my hand next time I hand her some money.

As long as we're both happy, I guess I can't complain. I can certainly spoil her in return though..
 grizzz12
Msg: 91
Posted: 7/6/2009 5:22:48 PM
I feel the past..experiences you may be talking about. What is between the lines you write is where the heart speaks. NO--no bs line! This stuff comes into my cranial void & just 'spews' out.
You must like yourself --I am a good...
I can .............
I am...
When, as you point out this is there--------flowering symbiosis. BUT -if one 'takes' the
pollen for himself (correct pronoun) the flower can fail to get nourished, fertilized, watered, & spoken to as (DAMN--gettin' too f n mushy)..

Rest--U know.........What's Love Got To Do With It?

Ah, to be 13 & in PUPPY LOVE heaven. Hell --sex??---that takes ike 12-14. maybe 20 hours right?

What's a girl's Tea Party? (the girls are talking about boners). JESUS! not now...
 marbles231
Msg: 92
view profile
History
Posted: 7/6/2009 6:44:27 PM
My thinking on this has undergone an evolution over time. There are the physical manifestations such as a calming nervousness you lover gives you or the mutual pleasure that can only be described as indescribable with only one person, or the emotional sensations such as the shared intimacy that can only unravel in a conversation with your true love, or their constant presence in your thoughts. All these things are true, but now I've come to believe that it is the willingness to do any unreasonable or dicey thing your lover asks you to do because you have the security of knowing they will never ask you to do anything unreasonable or dicey. Shared and complete trust.
 smellsealsthedeal
Msg: 93
Posted: 7/6/2009 7:50:32 PM
Read about Alexander Graham Bell and his wife .. or Darwin and his wife .. Milton Friedman and his wife.. Madame Curie and her husband.. my favorite couple as their love letters were so deep and caring .. their integrity to one another and their work for the greater cause of mankind sets them apart from .. ordinary to extraordinary .. people of extreme compassion and love for this planet and its inhabitants.. whose depth as people permiated every single molecule of who they were .. They are amazing real examples of stories that endure beyond.. the norm.. they take us to a new elevation and make us believe that is what we are here for.. oh yah .. they were all atheists.. as well hmm believing that the only time that exists is the present.. hmmm
 oblivion77
Msg: 94
Posted: 7/6/2009 7:50:38 PM
My grandparents are the best real life example of true love I've ever seen or even heard of.

After 66 years of marriage, grandad still spanks nan's butt with the dishtowel while they're doing the dishes, they still dance, he still calls her pet names and they both blush and giggle and try to blow it off if the family is around. The way they look at each other, the way they have this whole happy life just humming along for years. They are endlessly cute, and the only example of real love I've ever really seen.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > What are Some Examples of True Love?