Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Middle Age and The Common Cold/Flu      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 blondblueyed
Msg: 26
Middle Age and The Common Cold/FluPage 2 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
No, you are not nuts. The recoup time for just about anything can be longer as you get older. You just need to find out what works best for your system.

I also am getting over a cold, my remedy is lots of Vitamin C and sweating it out, feel free to interpret that anyway you want.
 selfsong
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Middle Age and The Common Cold/Flu
Posted: 12/13/2008 1:22:47 PM

thousands of people who do not take medications live disease and illness free, that certainly is an argument against the need for drugs.

I have to agree with this! I see so many into drugs, doctors and such but never really see them get any better. Not saying anything is wrong with the current medical trades but I think we should stop running to it at the drop of a hat.

I really do nothing special, I will at times get a bug in my rear and do C, brewers yeast or what not but in the end I really have no idea if it helps at all!
 arwen52
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 12/13/2008 3:22:56 PM
I get better faster than when I was younger. I also get sick less often.
 prof48
Msg: 29
Posted: 12/13/2008 4:30:21 PM
While there are other mechanisms to boost immunity, I live by the flu shot, literally. I am in one of those health classifications where flu sends us to the hospital for a few days. I haven't seen the inside of a hospital room since I started getting my annual flu shot. Now my immune system has certainly declined as I aged, I typically use up all of my sick days now, but I'm not fighting flu anyway, and what does take me out is generally closely related to my primary chronic illness.
 prof48
Msg: 30
Posted: 12/13/2008 4:39:00 PM

"failed to cite the reference"

I asked people to do their own research. I am not trying to convince anyone to believe what I say, so they don't need to be given references.

"I suggest you make Google your friend and do more research. Perhaps this will get you started........................................etc."

Within the scientific community of which I am a part, credibility begins with citing sources and documenting arguments. One wastes their time if they have to search to find sources only to discover that they are already widely refuted or based on weak science. I have plenty of criticism for pharmaceuticals these days, but that does not increase credence for alternatives that use ad hominem arguments.
 Merrylass
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 12/14/2008 2:58:51 AM
Twice I got the flu shot. I hadn't had 'flu for years before the first shot. Got 'flu that year. Bad. Next year, no shot, no 'flu. Following year - shot, 'flu.

Last year, no shot, got 'flu. However, the medics were saying it was a particularly bad strain of 'flu last year. Oh, a correction, BTW. Someone posted that the shot contains one strain of virus. It does not. The CDC and others try to figure out which strains will circulate in the coming season; a 'flu shot can contain several strains;

The flu vaccine for a given season usually contains antigens from three different strains, two A strains and one B strain. For the 2007-2008 season, the strains are:
A/Wisconsin/67/2005 (H3N2)-like virus (A/Wisconsin/67/2005 or A/Hiroshima/52/2005 strains)
A/Solomon Islands/3/2006 (H1N1)-like virus
B/Malaysia/2506/2004-like virus (B/Malaysia/2506/2004 or B/Ohio/1/2005 strains)
For the 2008-2009 season, the strains will be:
A/Brisbane/59/2007 (H1N1)-like virus
A/Brisbane/10/2007 (H3N2)-like virus
B/Florida/4/2006-like virus.

The A/Brisbane/10/2007 and B/Florida/4/2006 viruses are currently circulating in the Southern Hemisphere.

Anyhoo, I got pneumonia and a sinus infection after last year's 'flu and I've had two colds since plus a lot of aches & pains I never had before. I don't know if my body's going through a change. I do know I haven't paid enough attention to nutrition and I think that as we age we can't afford to abuse ourselves quite as much.

Anyway, the last cold, I took Cold FX and I got over it much faster than the one before. That stuff really does work - I've used it other times. It didn't really help with the 'flu much but has definitely been useful for colds - along with the usuals - lots of rest and fluids and good nutrition.

In terms of the efficacy of drugs and vaccinations, I know a woman who almost died of lockjaw because her tetanus shots had lapsed. We all got shots as kids - if the 'shots make you sick' theory was correct, we'd all have come down with similar illnesses and someone would have figured it out by now.

As for believing in the body's ability to fight infection - you just try letting an infection hit you hard and don't take antibiotics. I had a bad sinus infection several years ago. One day, I was so weak, I could barely walk. The doc told me that exhaustion can be the only symptom of an infection. I'd been getting progressively worse. A few days after I started the antibiotics, the change was dramatic.

I'm tired of the anti-drug conspiracy theorists. Drug companies are organizations made up of human beings and it is simply ridiculous to think that the thousands and thousands of doctors and researchers and employees of pharmaceuticals and the rest of medicine are all in collusion to damage us.
 tallyover
Msg: 32
Posted: 12/14/2008 4:25:14 AM
When I would get the flu it would be followed by 6 or more weeks of coughing. For the last several years I have gotten the flu shot. I no longer spend the winters hacking.

I' also use a product called Air born whenever I feel a cold coming on, or have been close to someone who has one.
 moraima
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 12/14/2008 12:02:42 PM
"Well, I was going to argue that Google is probably NOT the best place for resources (although you can find a few credible references if you know how to look...)"

For every study published, there is a counter study to disprove it. That is one of the reason that I spent several years researching holistic medicine. Taking the time to attend seminars and getting to know well know doctors in that field. I was fortunate enough to be able to spend one on one time with several of these people when they came to Ontario on their their multi country tours. Actually picking the brains of a person, and sitting around listen to others pick their brain is very interesting.

Many people in our society are unable to look past what they were taught in med. school. Others keep learning, and also check out other types of medical care in other countries.

I don't for a moment expect those who believe that their's is the only way will check out alternative ideas. I also expect them to make statements like "When you have read the following info................blah, blah...................., you will know you are wrong", and to try to ridicule that which they haven't check out for themselves." What makes me smile is that every decade the tradition medical profession announces new findings of things that holistic professionals have know for years.
 moraima
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 12/14/2008 12:57:15 PM
For those who enjoy stats -would anyone care to post the stats:

1) For death associated with the flu shots per year.

2) For the amount of times the flu type vaccinated for doesn't match the type of flu for that year.

"have no regard for spreading the flu virus to others in your community" Not getting a flu shot has little to do with spreading the flu. Staying home when contagious, taking precausion such as wearing a mask, hand washing, and just plain common sense does.
Teaching children not to stand in public coughing their heads off without covering their mouths is a huge reason for the flu spreading. Why a sick child needs to go out in public is a mystery to me. I think it has more to do with parents who have little common sense, or parents who don't want to stay home with their sick children.
 Moonchild51
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 12/14/2008 3:20:45 PM

One thing's for certain.................we ain't gettin' outta here alive!

Gee whiz, after that I feel so much better already! lmao...Actually I am feeling better now that I am on some heavy duty meds and I thank God for them. I truly was not getting better trying to fight it off with my own immune system!
 moraima
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Posted: 12/14/2008 3:23:45 PM
There are multiple ways to boost your immune system. Eating a healthy diet plus vitamins (our food takes far too long to make it to our tables), plus taking immune boosters or stabilers need to be done before we get sick.
 DAVE632
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 12/27/2008 10:23:34 PM
What we ALL need to say a little (BIG?) prayer for is that the BIRD FLU doesn't mutate any more and be able to jump human to human as easily as a "normal" influenze.

H5N1 represents a transgenic shift so we have NO antibodies to protect us from this new bug. It may never make the jump but having watched its progress for 4 years it looks kind of determined to add US to its menu and it is very very close to being able to make the H2H jump. If that happens it will circle the globe in 2 to 3 WEEKS - not the 2 years it took H1N1 to traverse the globe back in 1918 with the Spanish Flu. It takes at least 6 months to develop a vaccine to combat that particular strain of flu and you know who gets the first hundreds of thousands of doses - the damn politicians!! Bet on it.

The Spanish Flu was a transgenic shift and killed likely 100 MILLION people (the world pop was only about 2.5 billion then) by the time it went away. It had an estimated fatality rate of around 6% to 7%. Bird Flu is running a fatality rate in infected humans of between 60% and 80% depending on which BS you consider most accurate. OUR politicians and health officials ASSURE us that by the time it gets here (12 hours by 777 !!) it will have mitigated down to around the typical of .04% death rate. How they arrive at this figure makes a bad acid trip seem like a press conference held by Sasquatch him/herself!!

The info that neeeds to be disseminated is ow not to DIE if this bug gets out. In 1918 most of the people who died were in the 16 to 30 age range. When they caught the flu their immune system was STRONG but that is apparently what killed most of them. The body knows it is being invaded but doesn't actually ID the invader for up to 48 hours. The danger here is two-fold. If nothing happens the viral replication can be so swift that by the time you do ID the bug and you start producing antibodies your immune system simply can't catch up and they are overwhelmed by the viral attack.

The biggest danger in the first few hours however is something called CYTOKINE STORM. It is your own immune system going berzerk in an attempt to kill the invaders. It throws ALL the white cells at the lungs where it suspects is the entry point for the invasion. With white cells bunching up like a dam against the invaders it blocks the gaseous passage of CO2 and O2 around the lungs - this is called breathing and if you can't expel CO2 and suck in O2 you basically DROWN in your own juices.

One thing will make this condition 100Xs worse and that's what we do on a normal basis to fight a flu and continue with our lives. We take aspirin or any of the other anti-cold/flu meds that drop our fever. With no fever to slow the viral replication the virus goes nuts and you're dead in only a few hours. This is what happened to the troops during WW1. They caught the flu and were given aspirin to bring the fever down. They died within 10 hours.

DO NOT TAKE ANYTHING TO DROP YOUR FEVER.

Between anti-virals like eldeberry (all the phamaceutical anti-virals are now useless because the Chinese have been feeding their chicken the two main antivirals thet WE use and H5N1 is now about 95% immune to those life-savers) and your natural defense - A HIGH FEVER there is chance of living.

Lets hope my warning about taking meds to bring your fever down don't have to be followed.

Here's some good reading:

http://www.curevents.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=40 (Flu preps and survival info)

http://www.microbes.info/news/bird_flu.php (up to the minute news from around the world often circumventing the main stream media which is ALWAYS too late and full of the wrong info anyway)

http://www.birdflutoday.com/ (just another info site)

http://www.recombinomics.com/whats_new.html (up to date genetic breakdown of the continuing mutation of the H5N1 bug and how close it's coming to eating US!!)

G'luck to ya'll if this comes for us.
 Merrylass
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 12/28/2008 1:26:57 AM
Hey, Henny Penny ^^^ the world is very different now; we have advanced information-gathering and disseminating for starters so that even if a major 'flu outbreak should begin, people would be warned soon enough to take precautions. Remember SARS? Protocols were put in place then that could be renewed, including spotting people that were sick at airports and preventing them from travelling.

We have much more advanced means of keeping people safe and cleaning the environment around them. Governments have even got plans in place to contain disease outbreaks. We have simple tools like masks. In sum, there are plenty more things to worry about other than bird flu. It's not going to take us out any more than 'killer bees' or Y2K did.

BTW, the science on Cold FX keeps reporting good news:

But a new study offers new evidence that Canada's top cold and flu-fighting product provides significant help. The three-year study showed that trial participants who took COLD-FX were about one-third less likely to get a "Jackson" cold or flu. The very sensitive Jackson scoring method is a well-accepted scientific approach for judging clinical symptoms, which include coughing, sneezing, runny noses and others. COLD-FX is a unique extract of North American ginseng discovered by 25 Canadian scientists. The multi-center study also revealed that COLD-FX gave trial participants added protection on top of the flu shot's benefit. The multi-centre study confirmed the results of previous clinical trials reviewed by Health Canada, the federal government's regulatory body. One study published in the Canadian Medical Association Journal showed that for trial participants who regularly suffer two colds a year, COLD-FX reduced their chance of getting a second one by 56%. Health Canada approved strong claims for the product last year.

http://esciencenews.com/articles/2008/09/17/colds.and.flu.cut.one.third.study.canadas.top.cold.fighter.vaccinated.seniors
 Rug Doctor
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 12/28/2008 7:30:39 AM

I conclude in saying this. Some will have reactions the flu shot, some will not (I had no reaction whatsoever, other than not being sick).
How do you know that "not being sick" has anything at all to do with reaction to the shots ?

Significant numbers of people die from flu and it would appear the number of flu victims are far greater than those who get the flu shot.
Since rather immediate mortality from the shots is not greater than the number dying from flu...is this your premise ???

So unless you are extermely healthy and have no regard for spreading the flu virus to others
in your community,
Yes, I understand this part

perhaps you should not get the flu shot.
Isn't this the reverse of what you meant to say ?
 Rug Doctor
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 12/28/2008 7:32:02 AM

I conclude in saying this. Some will have reactions the flu shot, some will not (I had no reaction whatsoever, other than not being sick).
How do you know that "not being sick" has anything at all to do with reaction to the shots ?

Significant numbers of people die from flu and it would appear the number of flu victims are far greater than those who get the flu shot.
Since rather immediate mortality from the shots is not greater than the number dying from flu...is this your premise ???

So unless you are extermely healthy and have no regard for spreading the flu virus to others
in your community,
Yes, I understand this part

perhaps you should not get the flu shot.
Isn't this the reverse of what you meant to say ?
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 41
Posted: 12/28/2008 7:36:10 AM
I am 56 and I don't find this to be true. In fact, last year when I lived with my son and his GF, they were consistently bringing home "bugs" that made us all sick. I recovered sooner than both of them because I don't smoke and I eat a halfway healthy diet.

Plus, I teach (adults) and am constantly exposed to every illness that comes down the pike. I wash my hands a lot because we often pick up viruses from the things we touch.

However, when I was in my 40s, I had my first ever bout of bronchitis. My doctor told me that because of my age, I would probably suffer from it again and again, so he certainly expected or saw a correlation between age and the ability to stay well. I haven't had bronchitis since then.
 DAVE632
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Posted: 12/28/2008 11:43:33 AM
^^^^^^^

Hey merryass. A coupla points.

Hey, Henny Penny ^^^ the world is very different now; we have advanced information-gathering and disseminating for starters so that even if a major 'flu outbreak should begin, people would be warned soon enough to take precautions. Remember SARS? Protocols were put in place then that could be renewed, including spotting people that were sick at airports and preventing them from travelling.

We have much more advanced means of keeping people safe and cleaning the environment around them. Governments have even got plans in place to contain disease outbreaks. We have simple tools like masks. In sum, there are plenty more things to worry about other than bird flu. It's not going to take us out any more than 'killer bees' or Y2K did.

Our ability to actually fight a major influenza outbreak is, medically, BARELY better than it was 93 years ago. Sure we have amatadine and tamiflu but the greedy have made sure that those drugs are as useful as a screen door on a sub these days. Brilliant.

There ARE protocols in place. You know what. They are tossed aside in favor of politically correctness. SARS never would have arrived in North America if the idiots in charge had had the balls to shut down air travel from the infection source but that would have been seen as "racist" so ... welcome to Toronto!!

The other thing with "protocols" is that, as stated, somebody has to make decisions and that takes time. A 777 from Djakarta arrives back in North America in about 12 hours. You couldn't get a politician in our society to make a decision that fast if people were shooting at him/her. They'd convene committees and discuss it with experts and adjourn to make a decision. Meanwhile the 777 has off loaded 36 hours ago and all those infected on board have made their connecting flights and are who knows where.

Hate to break it to ya but SARS was a series of blind LUCK. We did almost everything WRONG. We sent suspected workers home using commuter trains. We knew they had children at home going to local schools. We told them if they got sick to report to the nearest ER. With a 12% fatality rate those so called "protocols" were INSANE! The bug ran a very short course and mutated itself out of existence. WE as a society and as medical professionals did very little to protect society or limit its spread. It did that almost entirely by itself. If it had made it into the general population we would have been screwed because we simply do NOT have anywhere near the resources to handle a 30% infection rate and 12% fatalities. Unless EVERRYTHING is shut down - EVERYTHING - H5N1 will have a 60% infection rate on the first wave alone and even if it's fatality rate halves in the H2H mutation we'll still see 40% of those infected, dying.

Story about your "spotting sick people at the airports" .... A group of 17 Canadian government health officials spent 11 days in Singapore assessing an infrared scanner which could pick people running a temperature out of a crowd at airports. At the end of their trip they thought these would be GREAT in Toronto where most of the SARS sick were arriving from China and they wanted to know where these great scanners could be purchased. The answer was ...... CALAGARY ALBERTA CANADA. The company had OFFERED the devices for free during the outbreak and the politicians had answered with a curt " Fu¬Ęk off, can't you see we're busy with an epidemic here?"

And these are the people YOU'RE gonna trust to save us from a bug like H5N1. Good for you.

...In sum, there are plenty more things to worry about other than bird flu. It's not going to take us out ...

InSUM, anybody who doesn't pay attention to this is a FOOL which of course your posts clearly shows. This being a thread on friggin FLU I thought I'd add something that could be relevant. PARdon me.

Sciencetreker
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Posted: 1/13/2013 2:31:06 PM
Self pity....haven't had the flu or a bad cold in twenty years...now I feel YUCKY.

Effort even to type. My girlfriend's a nurse... says she'll bring me over what helps best.. ice cream and Jello. Hope it's chocolate ice cream.
 Debyduz_
Msg: 44
Posted: 1/14/2013 6:57:40 AM
The viruses are also stronger. You can't get the same cold 2x. The viruses constantly mutate.

Take vitamin C. They say it doesn't matter, but the only time I have gotten sick is when I forgot them for a week.

Also get the flu shot. My daughter was in hospital for something else and flu was everywhere. We all got out shots in Nov. and so far none of us have gotten it. The nurses were holding a baby with the flu and passing him around. They are getting better at matching the shots with the strains that are going around. the nurse have the best info they know what is going around.

I also find if I take cold medicine and get some rest the first time I feel the tickle I can often skip the cold or at least lessen it.

I have been sick once each year for last 2 years the last cold ended up being bronchitis that lasted for 3 months. Although I found out the 3rd month was probably allergies. Soon as I started claridin the cough went away. The year before that I was sick many times and the cold takes over a week unlike 3 days in the past. I was not taking vitamin C then.

When I was sick 2 years ago I wanted to die. They tested for strep and it was negative. So who knows what is was. I had to send kids to dad's house on mother's day.

The other thing is I have surrendered and will go to doctor instead of toughing it out. The bronchitis would have been cleared much faster if I did that.

Check with those walk in medical places they are often a 1/3rd the cost of your doctor.
 timeforall
Msg: 45
Posted: 1/14/2013 10:02:18 AM
Supposedly the flu vaccine this year hits the mark and is very effective. No excuse not to protect yourself and get one.

And in answer to the OP for this five plus year old post . . .No . . Not yet. I have noticed no impact to my immune system in middle age. I almost never get sick, can remember one time in the last ten years . . a flu several years ago that knocked me out for a week, thus the reason I now get regular flu shots.
 Happy_gal2013
Msg: 46
Posted: 1/14/2013 5:30:28 PM
No, I seem to bounce back quickly . Plus I'm also a smoker. I do drink a lot of water and keep flushing my system when I'm sick. As for the hot sauce, I use that often in my cooking along with fresh garlic in some meals that helps. Good luck
 Proteaus
Msg: 47
Posted: 1/14/2013 5:36:24 PM
There are some dietary supplements you can take to strengthen your immune system. I haven't had even a cold in over a year.
 SweetHeartedLady
Msg: 48
Posted: 1/14/2013 6:22:49 PM
I hurt my shoulder last May & it is only 90% better.. and that was 8 months ago. It takes longer to heal. :).. but I like growing older.. it is a new adventure.
 1388SmartBlonde
Msg: 49
Posted: 1/14/2013 9:40:37 PM
Same here, OP. Get the flu shot and the pneumonia shot and load up on natural antibiotics like garlic and cinnamon. A strong onion cut in half and kept on the night stand will clear your sinuses and absorb germs when you cough or sneeze. Avoid over the counter meds that treat your symptoms...they can actually make you worse. Ride it out in misery with Kleenex and Vicks but do see your doctor if you are not starting to feel better within 5-7 days.

Chicken soup and whiskey-laced hot tea with honey and lemon do work at loosening phlegm and quieting a cough.
 mjinict
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Posted: 8/30/2014 8:42:30 PM
I guess the fact that I'm in my mid 50's is one reason my cold has been hanging on for 2 weeks. May have to break down and get checked. No fun going into holiday weekend.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Middle Age and The Common Cold/Flu