Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Middle Age and The Common Cold/Flu      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Hamilton12345
Msg: 51
Middle Age and The Common Cold/FluPage 3 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
I guess the fact that I'm in my mid 50's is one reason my cold has been hanging on for 2 weeks. May have to break down and get checked. No fun going into holiday weekend.

There has been a nasty bug floating around for about 3 months that seems to hang on for a about 4-6 weeks. Young, old it doesnt seem to matter this virus takes a long time to work its way out of the system. Seems just like a cold except that it sticks around for way too long. Over half my office has spent the summer coughing!

FullMoonGuy
Msg: 52
Middle Age and The Common Cold/Flu
Posted: 8/31/2014 11:19:20 AM

I find that when I get a cold or flu, my bounce back time isn't what is used to be

even the common cold ends up being pneumonia.

Do others experience this same thing at this age?

Not me. At 57, my immune system has actually gotten stronger over the last 10 years.

I haven't had the flu since 1981, and I have never had a flu shot.

I usually get one slight head cold per year, and have actually skipped a year a couple of times in the last 5 years.

Suggestions to improve?

My only suggestion would be to wash hands more often, and even then, I am not fanatical about that myself.
 mjinict
Msg: 53
view profile
History
Posted: 8/31/2014 11:44:08 AM
My work requires me to get a flu shot but I don't have a fever so don't think it's the flu, haven't had that in years either. It's been over 4 years since I had a cold but didn't last this long. I must have gotten it from the grandkids, as they all had it. I just haven't bounced back as quick.
 activemelaney
Msg: 54
view profile
History
Posted: 8/31/2014 5:47:09 PM
A healthy older adult has built up an immunity over the years. Fewer colds and flus
Secondary infections are often the issue...susceptible while combatting a virus. A healthy adult with a good cardio vascular system usually bounces back from a virus quickly. Always exceptions but the better shape you are in, the better your recovery.

Note...colds and influenza are very different. The former is an inconvenience...the latter can be deadly. It is still debatable if rest does anything to combat a cold...no reason to put off a jog. In a healthy adult it just runs its course. The flu is very different..time to completely veg out in bed.

As an RN in my line of work I am required to get a flu shot. Would I if not working...I really don't know. Mixed feelings on it.
 calguy14
Msg: 55
Posted: 8/31/2014 5:57:56 PM
Rarely get a nasty cold.
Do not smoke.
Eat correctly....no excessive carbs.
Real workouts....pick things up and put things down,we were made for this.
Avoid habitual alcohol.
 Dave of Indiana
Msg: 56
view profile
History
Posted: 9/10/2014 9:12:18 PM
I haven't had a cold in so long I can't remember when the last bought was. I've been getting flu shots for the last 10 years and have no run ins with flu.

Of course, I eat right, no alcohol, smoking, drugs and exercise two to three times a week. Might be a reason for the healthy streak.
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 57
Posted: 9/10/2014 9:20:52 PM
Mixed feelings on the annual flu shot here...yet I do get it (for decades) and have been lucky. Knock on wood.
As far as the common cold, remain mindful not to touch nose, eyes, or mouth after coming into contact with handles, telephones, door knobs, and other surfaces that harbor germs. Wash hands with normal soap and don't become hyper about the zillions of silly antibacterial choices. They are actually too effective and reduce natural immunity. The best defense is to be strong, fit, eat a healthy diet, and get plenty of restful sleep. Good luck. :-)
 petula1908
Msg: 58
Posted: 9/11/2014 12:30:29 PM
I am with you. I have had a cold, flu for over four weeks and cant seem to shake it. Are the strains more virulent or the medication just not as effective? When I was younger it was about 3 days and I was over it. I dont smoke, drink and watch my carbs, so what more can I do. I am just older and not as resilient, I guess.
 overunity
Msg: 59
view profile
History
Posted: 9/11/2014 1:23:19 PM
Well I drink and smoke and it's very seldom I get a cold/flu, and if I do it's no biggy. Perhaps that's why, lol.
 mjinict
Msg: 60
view profile
History
Posted: 9/11/2014 7:24:59 PM
Yeah, I used to be one of those who said I very seldom got sick, but this bug I haven't been able to shake for over 3 weeks now. Mostly congestion...It's a good thing I don't smoke.
 TrustInKarma
Msg: 61
Posted: 9/11/2014 10:30:03 PM
My job exposes me to LOTS of germs and viruses (pediatric nurse here). THe first two years as a nurse, I got the flu and pneumonia despite the mandatory flu shot. My immune system was not used to the sudden onslaught from all the sick kids I was exposed to, even though I have kids myself (who never get sick). Now, I haven't had a cold for a long time, and if I feel one coming on, I get some extra rest, drink lots of fluids, pop some vitamins, and it's gone. Can't say that I"m getting more sick in middle age.
 DragonBits
Msg: 62
Posted: 9/12/2014 10:05:25 AM
About 20 years ago I got a persistent cold while on a cruise to the Bahamas. My ex-wife got it first, she had a high fever. Then I got it. I got over it but it kept coming back. Some sort of bronchial infection. After 3 months of it going away and coming back, I went to a doctor and got some antibiotics, which made it go away forever.

In the last 4 years I have gotten 4 colds/flu, one a few years ago while in Cambodia. My fiancée got it first, then I caught it. High fever, then it went away. I was close to going to a doctor for my fiancée, I didn't really know how good her immune system was.

I am just now getting over a cold. Started with a sore throat on August 6th while I was in a part of the USA I have never been in. I spent a week in the Appalachian Mountains in Kentucky. We stayed in a holler near the Red River Gorge with some friends. I was in the mountains on an ATV and went squirrel hunting, it had been raining a lot before we got there, and the ATV kicked up a lot of wet leaves.

I was the only one that came down with a cold. This was the third cold I had gotten in the USA. I did get a lot of bug bites while out in the brush, which I am pretty sure were chiggers, but I never saw a bug. The symptoms of my cold seemed like a regular cold and not something more exotic.

I never put any effort into avoiding germs, I feel that limited exposure to germs helps build a good imune system. It seems to me I am most likely to pick up a cold / flu / bronchial infection when I am in a place that I have never been before. I usually get a flu shot, but not always.

It doesn't seem like I have a harder time getting over a cold now than in the past, recently I have gotten colds more often. Hard to say why since I had spent a lot of time in parts of the world where I have never been before which could be a big part of it.
 sunsetsam
Msg: 63
Posted: 9/12/2014 10:09:08 AM
I follow the wash your hands for a good thorough 20 seconds as soon as I enter my home and I very rarely get Ill.

But all my life I haven't been sick too often , I guess my immune system kicks arse !
 browneyesboo
Msg: 64
Posted: 9/12/2014 11:06:43 AM
I haven't been sick at all in the last 15 years or more.
No colds, no flu.
I don't get a flu shot.
I don't always eat right, I sometimes only exercise
once or twice a week.
I sleep only about 3 or 4 hours a night.
I work about 65 hours a week.
I've not noticed more sickness in middle age.
I either don't have the time or the inclination for it...
or perhaps I have a good immune system as well.
I do tend to wash my hands more, and I do keep away
from sick people as best I can...especially at work.
 DragonBits
Msg: 65
Posted: 9/12/2014 11:30:38 AM
Like many common beliefs in a forum, this one is also wrong headed and the truth is the opposite.

Scientists have observed that as we get to middle age, we actually get fewer colds. Because by the time people reach middle age, they've gained immunity to the vast majority of all the infections they could get.

So we don't have stronger immune systems, it's just that we have been there done that already. At some point we have weaker immune systems, but we have developed immunity to most common infections. However, if we encounter an infection we have never been exposed to in the past, then likely it will take longer to recover.

Most people think their diet, hygiene, research, supplements, homeopathic medicine is responsible for fewer colds, while in reality it's a natural response in middle age.
 _babblefish
Msg: 66
Posted: 9/12/2014 4:05:18 PM

Yeah, I used to be one of those who said I very seldom got sick, but this bug I haven't been able to shake for over 3 weeks now. Mostly congestion...It's a good thing I don't smoke.

could it be seasonal allergies?, my fall symptoms this year are worse than the spring ones were, stuffy nose,
coughing, etc . .
 mjinict
Msg: 67
view profile
History
Posted: 9/12/2014 6:23:10 PM
^^^I've never been bothered by seasonal allergies, so not that I know of. This coughing and blowing my nose is getting really old. Just finished a round of antibiotics earlier this week. My mom said if I had stayed home from work as it came on, I'd probably be over it by now. I'm pretty active at work and just worked through it.
 DivineBovine
Msg: 68
view profile
History
Posted: 9/14/2014 9:27:31 AM
i picked up bacterial pneumonia in the middle of June and had two recurrences. it's only been in the last couple of weeks that i have stopped coughing up *stuff*.

the most horrifying part was realizing how vulnerable one can be to an illness like that. :-(
 lelenc1
Msg: 69
Posted: 9/18/2014 3:15:48 PM
Devine, tell us again please about the time you caught the mad cow disease.

(....just joking.... totally.)
 lelenc1
Msg: 70
Posted: 9/18/2014 3:23:11 PM
Browneyes, boo, you say you virtually never get sick.

I suggest that to cure that problem, or at least to get to the bottom of it, you get an ex-ray or nick your skin to see if you have flesh and bones under your surface cover, or maybe mechanical things, steel wires, electric motors and such.

The character in "Terminator" only picked up human diseases that were dermatological. Or which attacked hair follicles. He also got away with three hours of nightly software overhaul maintenance and reloading the databases in his head. (Ie. "sleep".)

Question: what do you lie to your employer or manager at work on the phone in the morning, when you reeeeely don't feel like going in to work? Obviously being under the weather or a touch of something will not work for you.
 lelenc1
Msg: 71
Posted: 9/18/2014 3:26:08 PM
TrustinKarma: you gave me a naggin' idea. If the kids give the flu to all nurses in peadiatric offices, then how do we know that the kids would be sick if the nurses did not give it to some of them?

I mean, the disease knows no age-hierarchies, or work rankings.

Maybe if they got rid of all paediatric clinics and hospitals, schools and daycare centres, then there would be no more need for sick kids' hospitals.
 c_deacon
Msg: 72
view profile
History
Posted: 9/20/2014 8:43:21 AM
Ah Moonie.....someone dragged this up me thinks.....;)

It seems that many, if not most of what is out there, has mutated or created so many ways to buffer itself, that when one gets something now, it affects us even more. Add to that, all the "meds" that exist to remedy so many problems, that we get impatient when something hits us and takes us down.

Recently I ventured to the east coast for work and pleasure from my area of Colorado, and in the plane were three sets of children, some who were sick, and low and behold, less than a week later, I came down with a respiratory infection that about knocked me out. Found out that the Denver area had one of the worst areas for this kind of sickness and it was significantly affecting kids, especially those with asthma, to the point of many needing to go to the hospital.

One can do all they can to keep clean and healthy, but if captured in places where ventilation is subject at best, or in contact with those sick and no where to remove yourself, you are bound to pick up something that your body has never created proper protection or has not seen such a mutated form of sickness. I know that when that happens to me, as a middle aged male, it can seem like it is hitting my harder, and taking longer to get over, but I am not sure how real that is over just not getting sick that often?

Stay healthy my friend.

cd
 activemelaney
Msg: 73
view profile
History
Posted: 9/20/2014 10:13:52 AM
^^^^ llenc

Actually a virus often does have an age hierarchy. Those of a particular age have often had a variation in the past and have immunity...thus why the great Influenza of 1918 mostly impacted those under the age of 30.

Paediatric nurses would be on constant sick leave if they did not have some immunity to the infections of dozens of munchkins they are in contact with day after day.
 Dee4166
Msg: 74
view profile
History
Posted: 9/20/2014 5:55:13 PM
Of course, I eat right, no alcohol, smoking, drugs and exercise two to three times a week. Might be a reason for the healthy streak

Well...I don;t always eat right, wine for me is a STAPLE, and I was JUST giving myself a pep talk not 5 minuted ago about how I have to suck it up and start working out again....
BUT....
I haven't had a cold in SO long I don't even remember! My secret?

When I start to feel like my head is filled with cotton, I go STRAIGHT TO BED!!! I sleep as MUCH as possible and that usually takes care of it.
A long time ago, a friend of mine told me that a cold was your body's way of telling you to slow down....
I took that and ran with it and figured that if THAT was true, then all I had to do was "head it off at the pass" and save myself a lot of misery!!!
Works every time...Before you cry out that " I would LOVE to do that but I have kids, family, responsibilities, etc.
just think about how time-consuming it will be to be FORCED to take time out when you actually ARE sick!
Vitamin C is also good, but it has a cumulative effect and taking it when you start to feel sick really doesn't prevent so much as shorten the duration of your cold. Even my roommate who SWEARS by 1000mg's of vit. c/day, STILL gets colds!!!
Nothing beats SLEEP.
 LuvFishes
Msg: 75
Posted: 11/15/2014 7:40:39 AM
Hot Sauce and Garlic are actually good choices. Plus a mega dose of Vitamin C when you get that slight not feeling well, and a little extra rest/sleep helps. There is some study that advocates Chicken Noodle Soup Broth too. All in all as we age, our recovery time is slower. Your getting some great tips and yes as a 57 yr. old I pay attention to the itchy throat, or ears that get sensitive, watery eyes as slow down and treat symptoms before getting sick. And I am exposed constantly on daily bases LOL.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Middle Age and The Common Cold/Flu