Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Why does it seem that men dislike intelligent and witty women?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Guarded Fortress
Msg: 221
Why does it seem that men dislike intelligent and witty women?Page 11 of 13    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13)
men like women who are intelligent, witty and with sense of humor...however, the following things are things that might stand in the way (unfortunatelly): body odor, no sense of style, being clingy, being stuck up, being too short, being too fat, .....you name it...You know these things...insecurity is a big one...we tend to put down the pretty girls because we know that we don't quite look like them...I personally always wanted to be described as unique ,desireable,interesting and sexy...My intelligence is always seen right away as well as my sense of humor so I never really tried that hard...I am a big girl, and I know that there are women prettier than me but what draws men (some men) to me is my personality...
Reevaluate and try again,

best of luck!
 PirateJohn09
Msg: 222
view profile
History
Why does it seem that men dislike intelligent and witty women?
Posted: 11/7/2009 11:28:24 PM

I am a big girl, and I know that there are women prettier than me but what draws men (some men) to me is my personality...

I bet it is, indeed! I've only read one paragraph from you but I already can tell that you have a very positive outlook on life that can be a real man-magnet.

Frankly, I've found the world to be a great mirror. If all you see outside is negativity, then there's probably a lot of negativity inside of you. That's why I choose the women who have a great outlook on life. If they can see the beauty and wonder of the world, then that means they are beautiful, wonderful people inside, too.

If you think you're being rejected because you're intelligent and witty, you're wrong. If you think you're being rejected because you're overweight, you're wrong. If you think you're being rejected because of your height, you're wrong.

The reason you're being rejected is because you think you're being rejected.
 Walkingrain
Msg: 223
Posted: 11/8/2009 7:22:40 PM
I don't think you are getting out enough or just not with the right crowd.

One question. Are you equating wit with sarcasim? That can be a turnoff.

Could it be that some of these guys you refer to lack maturity and self confidence?
 acuddler
Msg: 224
Posted: 11/15/2009 4:16:52 AM
You are picking the wrong guys to meet, or mis-treating the guys you date. J.K. Rowling is intelligent,and witty, and-as the richest woman in the United Kingdom, and third richest woman in the world-she has no trouble getting a date when she wants one. Of course, she has enough money that she is not looking for Prince Moneybags to come along, and rescue her from the drudgery of work, and she already owns her own castle...literally. Without more data, I can't say much about you.
 Juste moi Danielle
Msg: 225
Posted: 11/15/2009 4:50:03 AM
Let's see what we have here...

Men (seem to) dislike intelligent and witty women.
Men/people (generally seem to) like me (as I like most people).
Therefore...
I'm dumb and dim witted.

Thanks a lot!

acuddler
Msg: 226
Posted: 11/15/2009 4:57:20 AM
You couldn't intimidate me if you had the 82nd Airborne to back you up. One thing, though...those of you who think you know it all tend to annoy those of us who actually do. Stupid sexpots are fun because they put out...without expecting the sun, and the moon, as payment. That makes them nice for short term relationships. Intelligent, and witty, is nice for long term relationships. If you are long term material, but constantly trying to hook up with short term minded guys, you are going to be disappointed. Then too, there is humor, and then there is humor. Is your idea of funny: The Three Stooges, Benny Hill, The Last Of The Summer Wine, Jeeves & Wooster, Sex To Sexty, all of the above, none of the above, or what? It may matter. If you hate Benny Hill, but think Macbeth is a laugh riot, don't expect most guys to agree. Younger guys tend to prefer short term relationships with no real commitment. Older guys often want long term commitments. Do you only try to date young guys? If so, consider a change. If you are so intelligent, and witty, what keeps you from being stereotypically sex-pottish? Can't you don a mini-skirt,and low cut blouse, occasionally, to please a man you are with? Perhaps you'd rather die than give a guy head...while the typical sexpots provide guys with great head without being asked? There are too many possibilities for us to know what is wrong with you until we get more information about you. I'll bet it has something to do with your attitude, though.
 dot*
Msg: 227
Posted: 11/15/2009 6:24:48 AM
Yes, some men are intimidated by this. Can't blame them, really. It's just their preference to have women who don't possess these qualities.

As well, perhaps you're giving off the wrong impression. Are you being classy, or prudish? Intelligent, or prestigious? Are you actually being funny, or quirky? All of these personality traits exist on a spectrum.

The women I would describe as classy, intelligent, and funny have never had a problem getting men.
 PirateJohn09
Msg: 228
view profile
History
Posted: 11/15/2009 7:44:20 AM

Men (seem to) dislike intelligent and witty women.
Men/people (generally seem to) like me (as I like most people).
Therefore...
I'm dumb and dim witted.

Wow, that was a brilliant deduction. You must be very intelli---

Oh, wait... Now my head hurts.
 Juste moi Danielle
Msg: 229
Posted: 11/15/2009 8:05:23 AM
^ Mine too (with all that empty space and everything rattling around it's to be expected I guess:)

Mr.Versatility
Msg: 230
Posted: 11/15/2009 10:26:43 AM
I just had to laugh when I read this, I would love to find a woman who is intelligent and witty......

makes one wonder what kind of guys you've been running into!
 HoldingHands27
Msg: 231
Posted: 12/21/2009 1:17:58 PM
I L O V E intelligent women..!!
I recently read a Ladys profile that nearly brought me to Tears...!
As close to a 'Soul-mate' as I've seen, here.....
If it weren't for the 'Distance-Factor' that I'm quite certain she'd cite
to decline any form of 'relationship', I'd Propose to her...right Now!!

Then again....'she's probably a 57 year old quadriplegic male truck driver from Cleveland..!!!
 Pirate Mollie
Msg: 232
Posted: 12/21/2009 1:36:49 PM
ha ha it's because they like me instead.
 MrP.
Msg: 233
Posted: 12/21/2009 1:48:56 PM
I love intelligent and witty women. I can't stand obnoxious know-it-all types who merely pretend to be smart.

MrP
 homegrown27
Msg: 234
Posted: 12/21/2009 4:09:19 PM
this thread sounds like a joke... I would love to find that kind of woman..... I guess it makes sense seeing how most dudes on here arent real men, the majority of men on here wont appreciate a woman like such.......
 Kranck
Msg: 235
Posted: 12/21/2009 5:12:30 PM
op: only a small demographic of men actually like women who portray themselves as classy, intelligent beings with a great sense of humor.
(italics mine)
I’m not sure if this would address the problem, but a person who describes themselves as classy and intelligent might consider the old writer’s adage – “show, don’t tell.”
Rather than tell us they’re classy, intelligent, witty, kind, sexy, etc., they could show us by what they say and do, and let us decide for ourselves.
Although, I suppose there’s always a danger that one’s virtues will go unnoticed.
 EmotionallyDetached
Msg: 236
Posted: 12/22/2009 4:30:02 AM
Because they are arrogant and they want to feel superior or like the White Knight coming to save what they think is the dimwit from herself.
 WaywardWynde
Msg: 237
view profile
History
Posted: 12/22/2009 4:38:14 AM
Men of ordinary intelligence are off-put by intelligent women for the very same reason women of ordinary intelligence are off-put by intelligent men. They feel out of their game.

If you are the one with the gray matter that churns faster, either play it down or accept that slower rate churners might move on because they feel a little like a child listening to a teacher.

If you are a high rate churner, keep in mind that EVERYONE knows something you don't, and most people know a LOT of things you don't. Try to find out what they know you don't, and tomorrow you'll know more than you did today.
 WaywardWynde
Msg: 238
view profile
History
Posted: 12/22/2009 5:51:50 AM

harder job to convince an intelligent ... woman into bed....

yer kiddin', rite? Intelligent women have lower levels of womanly desire for a man's company?

harder job to convince a high-maintenace woman into bed....

yer kiddin', rite? High-maintenance believes their maintenance will be higher if they stay out of bed? High-maintenance usually doesn't have much to offer EXCEPT being in bed.

FWIW, "high maintenance" (emotional or financial) women tend to be quite a bit less intelligent. Intelligent women have more capability to take care of themselves emotionally and financially, and generally don't appreciate the costs to themselves to have someone else prop them up continuously.
 keelo52788
Msg: 239
Posted: 12/22/2009 8:07:16 PM
I think your just meeting the wrong guys. As for me I do like classy, intelligent, funny, women. To me its not intimidating. Im currently unemployed, and at the time I wasnt attending school. I went out with a girl for a year and three months, she went to school, had a job, she was smart, funny. I think the guys that are intimidated are the ones with big egos.
 WaywardWynde
Msg: 240
view profile
History
Posted: 12/23/2009 10:17:40 AM
BTW, I avoid women who say they are "classy" (they have different social values than I do) or "sophisticated" (the term when used to describe people describes someone with a made up personna. "Sophisticated" comes from the word "sophistry" and is still freighted with its nuance).
 ProdigalSon81
Msg: 241
Posted: 12/23/2009 12:48:06 PM
I don't mind intelligence, I think it's a great asset to have. I just prefer someone with a sense of humor over it though.
 WaywardWynde
Msg: 242
view profile
History
Posted: 12/23/2009 3:31:19 PM

What is a woman really saying when she describes herself as "intelligent and witty"?

Most usually? That she wants a higher income guy than her girlfriends have.

Play it if you want, or hit "next" looking for a woman glad you are you.
 Nightfall301
Msg: 243
Posted: 12/23/2009 4:28:08 PM
Because the intelligent and witty women refuse to seek an intelligent and witty man - they find the brainless beefcakes and assume they represent all men.
If you refuse to open a book, you'll never know what's inside it.

I always get a laugh reading all the profiles saying "must have a sense of humor." Last time I checked, that was a basic biological function, present from birth. Ergo - no sense of humor equals corpse. I haven't really seen very many corpses walking around (but I have seen a great many hollow, human-shaped shells - and even those can laugh).
 fissionfusion
Msg: 244
Posted: 12/24/2009 11:26:25 AM
It's not that we dislike intelligent and witty women, we dislike intelligent and witty women who don't have the balls to stand up for themselves. These are the women who let their mouths get them in trouble.
 HoldingHands27
Msg: 245
Posted: 12/25/2009 5:55:26 PM
Maybe 'some'...or... a 'majority' of men shy away from intelligent, witty women...
Those are the ones (the 'Bad-boys' and Macho-Slobs) that want a 'Possession'
(someone to push around and be their 'toy')
...Not a _Relationship_..!
(a sharing, caring, Loving _Partnership_!)
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Why does it seem that men dislike intelligent and witty women?