Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Why does it seem that men dislike intelligent and witty women?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 PirateJohn09
Msg: 251
view profile
History
Why does it seem that men dislike intelligent and witty women?Page 11 of 13    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13)

Well OP, it goes like this
Men like witty, .. as long as they're not the target of your wit.
Men like intelilligence,... as long as your intellect and critical thinking isnt turned on them.
Simple.

I have to strongly disagree. That may be true for some men, but they're by far the minority.

I very much like intelligent and witty women. What I don't like are women who are arrogant and condescending, yet fancy themselves intelligent and witty.

Besides, so many people have trouble dating and claim that it's their positive traits that are scaring the opposite sex away, and don't give any consideration to the possibility that something else entirely is doing it.
 Anthony Robinson
Msg: 252
Why does it seem that men dislike intelligent and witty women?
Posted: 9/12/2009 11:35:06 AM
I wish i could meet a smart and intellegent girl.
 LUSTING IMPRESSIONS
Msg: 253
Posted: 9/12/2009 12:41:54 PM
I wish i could meet a smart and intellegent girl.

You forgot "and hot"; otherwise just start hanging out in libraries, they're full of smart, intelligent, average-to-hideous looking women.
 Anthony Robinson
Msg: 254
Posted: 9/12/2009 12:44:21 PM
yea but ya gotta remember it's like a girl trying to find a thug who's caring and sensitive...don't think it'll happen. Besides I don't think looks always carrys a relationship
 okcupid
Msg: 255
view profile
History
Posted: 10/14/2009 10:37:45 AM
As with either gender: intelligence, class, humour, etc, mean nothing if you don't check the right prerequisite check boxes, well... by prerequisite I mean more important attributes.

Oh and “classy” is very subjective, can you elaborate on what you think is classy?
 Funcuz
Msg: 256
view profile
History
Posted: 10/15/2009 8:33:07 PM
^Save the farting contest for the second date.
 jwaz
Msg: 257
Posted: 10/16/2009 12:36:36 AM
"...only a small demographic of men actually like women who portray themselves as classy, intelligent beings with a great sense of humor."
- That's because men don't like a fake. It's better to naturally be intelligent, classy, and funny. People who portray, annoy. Besides, most men like intelligent women. You are just filling your head up with the same stupid thoughts most girls do from watching too many movies and too much tv. Get out of your head, your bf left you because you probably annoyed the **** out of him.
 808 syndicate
Msg: 258
Posted: 10/16/2009 11:52:27 PM
In noway what so ever am I intimidated by an intelligent , witty woman. Beside's it's not like I'm gonna be comparing IQ's with her on a regular f*ckin basis.

For some people, you should know that the attractive ones will always have an edge over the witty, intelligent ones.
 betterthanyourex82
Msg: 259
Posted: 10/17/2009 12:50:47 PM
Ok, I have started a few posts that have been deleted, that have more substance than some of these other posts, that get tons of attention and whatnot yet are the most ridiculous things Ive ever heard...

To think that men dislike witty and intelligent women is just ridiculous, what kind of men are you running into? Yeah Online you're probably going to run into these problems, and in real life because truthfully I dont believe a heck of alot of men or women really have their heads on tight nor are 100% confident in themselves and what they want...

Personally I love a Classy women with some intellect and a good sense of humor...

Seems to me that theres 2 kinds of people in this world..... the ones who got it and the ones who dont unfortunately they both keep meeting the opposite and not the other, which is why theres a lack of happyness..

Thats just how I see it.....
 StevieCashmere
Msg: 260
view profile
History
Posted: 10/18/2009 5:59:57 AM
Sounds like a 'honeypot' thread !!
(sic)

~sc~
 CountIbli
Msg: 261
Posted: 10/18/2009 5:10:58 PM
Men like intelligent and witty women, but if there's no physical attraction then intelligent and witty don't matter. Also, if you're a b1tch or just plain annoying then wit and intelligence don't matter.
 valenciacityx
Msg: 262
Posted: 10/20/2009 12:36:56 AM
My delicate sensibilities are frightened and scared of your v-jay powers and your estrogen. I must go pound rock now, make painting on wall, make wheel, start fire.
 The Green Genie
Msg: 263
view profile
History
Posted: 10/20/2009 2:29:51 PM
Men dislike them if they act snobby and talk down to them. Big turn off. Think of some random guy patronizing you and you'll know how we feel. Not saying you do it, I really don't know you that well, but pay attention to the little things, and don't assume that because you're so witty you're better than everyone else. A slightly dumb woman may be more stable and emotionally fulfilling than the ingenious girl that thinks so highly of herself that she looks down on everyone. Again, not saying you do it, but it's just food for thought.
 PittsburghVixen
Msg: 264
Posted: 10/20/2009 8:09:16 PM

My delicate sensibilities are frightened and scared of your v-jay powers and your estrogen. I must go pound rock now, make painting on wall, make wheel, start fire.

miss_contemplative
Msg: 265
view profile
History
Posted: 10/20/2009 10:45:16 PM
^^^That was priceless!

I rarely attract what I'll call "knuckle draggers," probably because they lack the intellectual stamina to keep up with my annoying propensity for deep thought.

I think for these types of men, an intelligent and witty woman is kind of like a novelty, like a unicycle...really cool to watch someone ride one, but has one hell of a learning curve!

To that, I'd ask, what quantifies this intelligence exactly? I mean is it the ability to communicate effectively? Is it how quickly she can grasp things?

I still think that intelligence is cool but I suspect that most men are more attracted to a woman who makes him feel lucky to have her in his life. What determines the element of this luck is something HE has to measure, but I think it's more in how you make a guy "feel" as opposed to what you make him "think."
 cavalry2therescue
Msg: 266
Posted: 10/21/2009 5:16:31 AM
Same here, Parry. I'll take wit and intelligence over physical beauty any day.

Now, as to sarcasm? That's another matter altogether. Based on some things I've learned over the past year and a half: did you know sarcasm is actually a danger sign for anger management problems? (This is a professional assessment from two shrinks specializing in the subject and their book for practitioners .) It's linked with excessive swearing, racism, and other less-known characteristics of anger problems like 'rumination' and 'revenge ideations'. So let that be a warning.
 cavalry2therescue
Msg: 267
Posted: 10/21/2009 5:24:17 AM
Want to know how to separate the dross from the gold? Play Scrabble with her! The wit and intelligence quickly come to the fore. And you can't be worried about losing since that'll be proof positive of her talents and your good character. Two for one!
 whenwillthiswork26
Msg: 268
view profile
History
Posted: 10/21/2009 8:20:33 AM
Men will go for a woman who makes them aroused. Sexually.
That's the bottom line.

Men don't like women who are their superiors mentally. I have had to dumb it
down a lot around men. Submissive type guys get along better with me.
 Vincent_1984
Msg: 269
view profile
History
Posted: 10/21/2009 8:56:02 AM
I think it's more in how you make a guy "feel" as opposed to what you make him "think."

I agree with this, most men don't go for women just because they can challenge their intellect(or at least the vast majority of the ones I have come across). There are already entire industries devoted to the pursuit and distribution of scientific and philosophical knowledge and plenty of social networks that cater to those subjects.

Sure, a lot of men like a smart partner, it's a nice bonus, but it won't make up for more obvious faults; although, let's be real here, most people(men and women) think they're intelligent and/or witty, it's completely subjective.

down a lot around men.
Right, what man wouldn't want a woman that makes false generalizations and talks down to them.
 big pacific
Msg: 270
view profile
History
Posted: 10/21/2009 10:50:10 AM
The honest answer? I will ONLY date women that are intelligent and witty. Period.

The simple truth is that of the women I've personally met, 95% of them think they are "intelligent, witty and funny", when really only about 10% were. To me at least the women that SAY they are smart and funny very seldom are.

I'm sure that goes for both genders.
 farceur
Msg: 271
Posted: 10/21/2009 12:04:32 PM

Men will go for a woman who makes them aroused. Sexually.
That's the bottom line.

down a lot around men. Submissive type guys get along better with me.
Hmm, OK, but what about if what makes the man aroused is the woman's intelligence?
 scottdehart
Msg: 272
view profile
History
Posted: 10/21/2009 12:41:48 PM
It all depends on the guy.

I was watching a dvd, second season of Universe, and it had a lady scientists that I was drooling (almost) over. Smart, articulate and oh so sexy!!! (IMO)

But I'm a nerd.

happy-go-lucky_
Msg: 273
view profile
History
Posted: 10/21/2009 2:03:41 PM
It's a truism that n3rds get no love--males and females alike.

I personally thrive on intellectual exchanges, but that doesn't mean that I expect my conversations to flit from Descartes to Nietzsche to Foucault--it's best when the participants are able to bring original thoughts to the table, and I have tremendous appreciation for a good sense of humour and a sharp wit, as well.

Those are just two types of intelligence though, and it's quite likely that not everyone is turned on by the two kinds I mentioned above. The fact of the matter is, a person akin to George W. Bush is always going to be more popular and better loved than someone who is more intellectually inclined--such is life.
 njbris
Msg: 274
Posted: 10/21/2009 4:23:42 PM
Many or not if most the women who scream out loud that they are intelligent and witty are usually the one's who are delusional. A person who is really intelligent and witty and so on is not likely to scream it out to everyone, they are confident enough to believe that people will just see it without it being mentioned.

Men are not running away from intelligent and witty women, they are just running away from the women who claim to be but are not.
 bucsgirl
Msg: 275
view profile
History
Posted: 10/21/2009 4:49:54 PM

Men are not running away from intelligent and witty women, they are just running away from the women who claim to be but are not.

Agree, the same is true on the flipside.

That's one of the reasons my profile(s) are so outside the "norm". Yes, profiles because I like to write.

I was never all that comfortable with making claims, because bottom line, no matter what I may think about myself, it's up to the other person to make their own decision. Same for everyone else, they do anyway, so I'd rather post something I had fun writing and with a more humorous bent. Like it, lump it, from the email I get many get the humor, a very few don't.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Why does it seem that men dislike intelligent and witty women?