Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  > The weather      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Ticketoride
Msg: 7
The weatherPage 3 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
One Idiot asked me to help push his car out of his uphill Parking Spot with Summer Tires and rear Wheel Drive only. Another one just down the Street spent 10 Minutes rocking his Van back & forth from the Curb, then gets stuck in the middle of the Street 20 feet ahead spinning his back tires, blocking Traffic both Ways.

What do these Clowns think is achieved getting free from one Area, only to get stuck in another? Totally reckless. If your Vehicle can't make it out from the Curb, you ain't gonna make it anywhere else either.
 Merrylass
Msg: 8
view profile
History
The weather
Posted: 12/18/2008 7:30:28 PM

One would expect that an expert in this field should be able to predict the weather with a greater accuracy

One would actually not expect any such thing if one knew how many incalculable factors exist. But more to the point; you can't exactly see a cold front or a warm front, ya know. Yes, there's radar images that help a bit but we're talking AIR here - it's invisible stuff. Same goes for moisture in the air - you can't measure exactly how much is up there at any time with great accuracy.

I've found that they're right a pretty high percentage of the time. What happens more frequently than not when they're wrong is that they predict bad weather and it doesn't happen. So every now and then they predict good weather and bad happens - that's life.
 FunnyAndSweet48
Msg: 9
The weather
Posted: 12/19/2008 1:19:12 AM

If your Vehicle can't make it out from the Curb, you ain't gonna make it anywhere else either.
I've been stuck many times in my parking spot after a major dump of snow with my tires spinning & going nowhere, but once I dug myself out, rocked myself out or got pushed out onto the middle of the street & got my car moving, it was smooth sailing.
 Merrylass
Msg: 10
view profile
History
The weather
Posted: 12/20/2008 8:42:17 AM
I've lived back East in and in Cowgary, where big snow dumps and icy streets are a regular occurrence. Yes, for sure, have good tires. I've got Michelin all-weathers and they've never failed me. What works best, I've found, is driving in lower gear - it provides more traction. . I don't need to drive highways and my car can do up to 50kph in gear 2 so when the roads are bad, I stay in that gear.

And, of course, keep a much greater distance between yourself and the vehicle you're following than you usually do so that if you slide on braking (you're tapping your brakes, not standing on them, of course), you can still stop.
 Ticketoride
Msg: 11
The weather
Posted: 12/21/2008 12:29:30 PM
How does shifting to a lower gear (increasing the engine speed for same ground speed) have any effect on the measure of friction between the tires and the road surface?

Reduced Gear Ratios provide better Pedal Control so the Tires will not necessarily spin when the slightest of Gas is given.

Although better Traction looking at it from a theoretical or scientific Standpoint has nothing to with it, in Practice by Means of better Control it can be affected.

Going up a steep Off-Road Hill in high Gear may cause the Wheels to spin, in low Gear the Tires slowly grab into the Dirt and Rocks.
 SoLongThanksForAllTheFish
Msg: 12
The weather
Posted: 12/21/2008 3:17:49 PM

How does shifting to a lower gear (increasing the engine speed for same ground speed) have any effect on the measure of friction between the tires and the road surface?

The friction between two surfaces isn't fixed. It changes depending on whether they're moving or not, and for crumbly material like snow or ice could even depend on how fast they are moving. The gear of the vehicle is only relevant in that it gives you finer control over the speed at which the tire rotates, so (for example) it doesn't spin suddenly when you hit the gas, and might not melt snow creating a thin layer of water which would cut friction even more.

I had a Grinch moment on the way home from Subway this afternoon. ...

Walking down Granville Street, on a biggish section which was bare and un-icy because it was sheltered by the roof of a bank, I saw some woman coming up the street towards me with her umbrella open. So I drifted over to the right (inwards towards the building) as I normally do when passing people on the sidewalk. Then she moved over to hug the wall too and we wound up standing there staring at each other. "Excuse me!" she exclaimed loudly and in a rather demanding and abrasive tone.

Now, this is one of my pet peeves; people who insist on keeping their umbrellas open when they're under these big dry roofs already, and not only do they apparently not care that they're taking up twice as much space as they need but seem to expect everybody else to go around them out into the weather they're so desperately trying to avoid. Besides, insofar as there are any sidewalk rules I was following them and not her. So I just stared back and said "pass on the right please, ma'am".

Then things escalated ... "Well, I don't think it has anything to do with that. I'm seventy and you're asking me to move." I do think we should be kind to old people and in another situation I probably would have given way and not thought twice about it... but ... something about this just irritated me even more. This was not some frail 90-year old. In fact, if she hadn't said that I wouldn't have pegged her at 50-something. I'd just seen her dart across two busy streets and to be there at all she must have already walked blocks through the snow. Plus she was the one trying to push me out of her way and not the other way around. I stood my ground and pointed out she was carrying her huge portable shelter with her.

"So you're going to make me go around you in the snow just because you're right?" Well, no... there was plenty of nice dry sidewalk for the both of us. This was all about nothing. Maybe more to the point, if anything bugs me more than self-indulgent whining it's a bully. So I just stared straight back again, nodded and said "Yep" in a cheerful voice, now determined to stand there until it stopped snowing if necessary. Finally she went on her way with a final sharp comment along the lines of "I'm sure you'll get your reward, god bless you!"

I wonder if something about the snow drives people here crazy... and if I'm turning into one of the nuts.
Msg: 13
The weather
Posted: 12/21/2008 11:10:35 PM

BTW aren't there sidewalk rules? same as the road? walk on the right side?

I believe there are, yes.

of course in this Grinch story SHE was the Grinch right????

Well, you can decide for yourself who was the Grinch but I meant I felt Grinchy (afterwards, obviously) fighting over something so silly. It would've made a good Seinfeld episode.

Maybe I'll finish my evening by finding some bunnies to squish.
 FunnyAndSweet48
Msg: 14
The weather
Posted: 1/4/2009 4:55:51 PM
BTW aren't there sidewalk rules? same as the road? walk on the right side?

Yes, same rule applies to escalators, stairs or any place where people are walking in both directions.

The challenge is in trying to do this during the busy rush of Christmas or Boxing Day shopping when people are hustling about slamming into everyone in their path. Try walking only on the right side in Chinatown & you won't move an inch. Having grown up in Singapore, it's a skill I learned from childhood that in order to get anywhere, as impolite as it is, you have to shove & push your way past people, weaving in & out in a disorderly manner in order to get to where you need to go.

Does anyone know whether more snow is expected in Vancouver & the Lower Mainland?
 FunnyAndSweet48
Msg: 15
The weather
Posted: 1/4/2009 8:01:54 PM
I never thought I'd be so happy to see it rain today & was even hoping it would keep raining to melt off most of this white stuff. Ok, it was nice when it first arrived & I had loads of fun shoveling & playing in it at first but enough is enough. When my car gets stuck just trying to make it out of the carport, never mind out of the complex & I'm grounded at home, then it's time for it to leave. More snow expected? Yikes!
Where's the frickin' Happy New Year emoticon?
 Xavery
Msg: 16
The weather
Posted: 1/4/2009 8:36:36 PM
Hmmmm - It is almost blizzarding here in Vancouver. No flights are leaving the airport until the weather improves and I thought we were meant to have rain today.
I think Mother Nature is telling her she is unpredictable. Meterologists still haven't figured it all out.
 A Candle in the Wind
Msg: 17
The weather
Posted: 1/5/2009 8:18:35 AM
[Meteorologists still haven't figured it all out]

Mmmmm.....back to the beginning...Meteorologists have been "predicting" rain for a while now. The road crews were not dispatched as vigorously because of the forecast of rain, again and again...(according to a news item). Why not just have a forecast which actually works??

Tomorrow....cloudy with sunny periods, a chance of rain or flurries or snow at most elevations. Also the possibility of an earthquake or hurricane. More updated forecast after we look out of the window in the morning...
 ocean_gem
Msg: 18
The weather
Posted: 1/5/2009 9:59:49 AM
Add a bit of humor to this:

Blizzard Update Vancouver (Reuters)

Day 2 Vancouver Blizzard 2008

Chilled Vancouver commuters faced their second day of winter hell today, as an additional ΒΌ centimetre of the peculiar white stuff fell, bringing the lower mainland to its knees and causing millions of dollars worth of damage to the marijuana crops. Scientists suspect that the substance is some form of frozen water particles and experts from Saskatchewan are being flown in. With temperatures dipping to the almost but not quite near zero mark, Vancouverites were warned to double insulate their lattes before venturing out.

Vancouver police recommended that people stay inside except for emergencies, such as running out of espresso or biscotti to see them through Vancouver's most terrible storm to date. The local Canadian Tire reported that they had completely sold out of fur-lined sandals.

Drivers were cautioned to put their convertible tops up, and several have been shocked to learn that their SUV's actually have four wheel drive, although most have no idea how to use it.

Weary commuters faced soggy sushi, and the threat of frozen breast implants. Although Dr. John Blatherwick, of the Coastal Health Authority reassured everyone that most breast implants were perfectly safe to 25 below, down-filled bras are flying off the shelves at Mountain Equipment Co-op.

"The government has to do something," snarled an angry Trevor Warburton. "I didn't pay $540,000 for my one bedroom condo so I could sit around and be treated like someone from Toronto."
Msg: 19
The weather
Posted: 1/6/2009 10:56:05 AM
It sounds like all that snow is about to disappear in a flood of rain - 6 or 8 cm predicted by tomorrow.

Are we happy about this?
 we2can
Msg: 20
view profile
History
The weather
Posted: 1/8/2009 1:33:35 AM
What is your vision of really nice?

Lol, it is all in the eyes of the beholder.................
 Yappy lil Pine Needle
Msg: 21
The weather
Posted: 1/8/2009 10:18:48 AM
It should only rain at night between 10pm and 6am and it should only snow in the mountains!!!!!

my rant for the day!
 WesternWildRose
Msg: 22
view profile
History
The weather
Posted: 1/13/2009 3:34:21 PM
Had 2'' of fresh snow Monday night!...grrrrrrr...... and yes still have snow on our roads and snowbanks 5' high here....and I am only 20 minutes from downtown Vancouver.

Got to love living on the North Shore.
SNOW DAY!!!!!!!!!!!
Msg: 23
The weather
Posted: 1/26/2009 10:52:04 AM
Nice sunny day outside, isn't it?

Enjoy it while it lasts. Another 5-10 cm of snow is due to hit the lower mainland tomorrow (and much more inland):

http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/warnings/report_e.html?bc42

mrchicken
Msg: 24
The weather
Posted: 1/26/2009 11:11:01 AM
Lets get on with this global warming already
 WesternWildRose
Msg: 25
view profile
History
The weather
Posted: 1/26/2009 4:51:33 PM
Okie Dokie... no snow here...thank goodness... too cold!!!!!!!!!!
who would of thought I would be celebrating it being toooooooo cold?

so... dug out the mommyvan this morning.. -6C frozen snowflakes on the windows.
got to the kids school.. -7C
down the hill to the Ironworkers Memorial bridge.. -4C
over the bridge...PNE area.. +3C
Renfrew/Hastings... +2C

soooooooooooo...whereabouts are you?... must be snowing somewhere....depending on the elevation.
The banana trees must be doing well in Delta.
 IncognitoGuido
Msg: 26
The weather
Posted: 3/20/2009 6:11:59 PM
^^^ I know what happened to our forums... The WIND BAGS blew away all the good posters...

Nuck nuck
Good slam and totally on topic!

Now back to your regularly scheduled weather program
 WesternWildRose
Msg: 27
view profile
History
The weather
Posted: 3/20/2009 6:30:37 PM
It Rains here...so suck it up.

or get back to bed..that's where I am now...lol

we love the green lawns and the lovely trees...we love the lushness of our surroundings....that requires rain.
 CharminC
Msg: 28
The weather
Posted: 7/27/2011 3:57:09 PM
re-surfacing an old thread instead of creating a new one to ask this.............

Sooooooooooooooooooooo whatcha think of our lovely summer weather B.C' rs??!! Has it affected your mood like it is affecting mine? Has it affected your plans? And for those with kids.... are they moody too?
((puts on a sweater and prays for sunshine))

signed,

a S.A.D victim
 KIWI3nme
Msg: 29
The weather
Posted: 7/27/2011 11:36:03 PM
yes this grey shit is giving me headaches! My brand new bike it sitting there all lonely wiaitng for me to ride it, my self tanner bottle is near empty sighhhhh...my sunglasses are still buried at the bottom of my purse, and my darn cardigan needs washing!!!

U CALL THIS "SUMMER?"

Walts
Msg: 30
The weather
Posted: 7/28/2011 5:35:05 PM
I agree charmin, this summer has sucked the big fat one!!!! I was almost ready to do something very silly soon, but, it looks like summer decided to show up today!!! If we actually get 7 days in a row, I maybe able to do my happy dance under the stars soon.

I'm pretty sure my guys at work are pretty happy that the sun has come out. Seems I go into a different mood when it's cloudy and damp,especially when it's June and July. I think my plants are smiling today,for the first time in a long long time. They are over 3-4 weeks behind their normal growth,height, and flowering.

Now, I'm wondering, do I dare crack a cold one tonight in the back??????
 tizzabelle
Msg: 31
view profile
History
The weather
Posted: 7/28/2011 6:35:27 PM
The North Coast has decided not to participate in Summer this year, we went straight into fall!
Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  > The weather