Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Comic Book Geek      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 thatnickguy
Msg: 25
Comic Book GeekPage 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
Wow, for someone that doesn't want to hit a nerve in your previous post, it feels like you're trying harder in this new one.

A few notes:
-I don't use the term "geek" in the classic dictionary sense. My definition of it is someone who gets great enjoyment out of a particular hobby. This can also include anything from a baseball geek to a Star Wars geek, a cooking geek, a yoga geek, etc. Someone that enjoys discovering new terms from a dictionary could be considered a "word nerd", which a girl I dated briefly called herself.

-I don't dress up as Superman. I wear the shirt. I would define dressing up as putting on a cape, tights, etc. I rarely, if ever, go out in public with both the shirt and the belt buckle on (except for last night, to a wrestling event, for fun).

-Who's to say that I DON'T have a balance or that I don't have whatever your idea of masculine qualities? Does hitting the gym and benching nearly 200 lbs count? Or having chivalry, holding the door for people walking into a building? As I asked before, what defines a guy as a "man". Does reading comic books make me a bad person in any way?

I look at it like this: way back in High School, when I was starting to collect, my father complained that I was wasting my money on those things. My response? "Would you prefer I drink, smoke and do drugs?" That, to me, is worse than comics because you're doing considerably damage to your body (drinking, maybe not, in moderation).
 PardonMeMiss
Msg: 26
Comic Book Geek
Posted: 12/24/2008 2:27:28 PM
They're not cartoons, they're graphic novels! lol
 Further
Msg: 27
Comic Book Geek
Posted: 12/26/2008 1:11:04 PM
Okay OP...I will meet you on what you said, now that you put it that way.
I am a music "geek"...lol...that is my passion and hobby...Don't take anyone's postings so seriously, again i just responded quickly with out really giving it a lot of thought.
and I apologize if i offended you...I personally don't think "geek" is a good word to tag ones self with. Given what you have shared with me, I don't see how that makes you a "geek"...Comics are cool...Many of them have brilliant satire in them. I just thought the word geek is something that is used in a negative sense...and i see in certain circumstances it isn't, if yu had said that you had many interests besides the comic books then that certainly would have changed my mind towards your original posting..So thanks for, letting me know this... I did learn something and i like to learn...

Further
Msg: 28
Comic Book Geek
Posted: 12/26/2008 1:45:39 PM
ps..OP I looked at your inerests on your profile and you like Jazz...So, in my books you are no geek!!...lol....

geekybroad
Msg: 29
Comic Book Geek
Posted: 12/28/2008 11:24:34 AM
As long as you can recognize the point when someone's eyes are glazing over, then you're ok. This is pretty much true for any subject, though.

I had a co-worker who shared a geeky interest with me, but I couldn't stand talking to him about it at all because he never shut up. Didn't recognize non-verbal signs of boredom. Didn't let other person offer their opinion or interject. Didn't understand verbal directness (i.e. "I've got to get back to work"). Still would go on about it when you had your back turned, walking away from him, and you were out the door. Of course, since we were the only two people in the office with this interest, he was pretty insistent on talking about it...
 InternetRFunny
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Comic Book Geek
Posted: 12/28/2008 12:20:21 PM
Further... gimme a break. Geek is a slang term. Nearly everyone understands that the word "geek" in every day use has little to do with the dictionary definition. Things do change from generation to generation, y'know, so maybe you need to brush up?
 Evosworld
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Comic Book Geek
Posted: 12/28/2008 7:45:08 PM
I think it's good for people to have different interests. I would support anybody elses interests as long as it wasn't an obsession that completely took over their life. Equally, I would not stand for someone telling me not to do something I loved if that was something I was passionate about. Also, I would not try to get someone interested in something I liked if I could see they had no desire to get involved at any level. In fact, with some things I'd rather keep them separate especially if I use that as a way to relax or let off steam. Nothing wrong with anything you enjoy as long as it has a balance in your life and not something that turns you into a bore. For instance Football bores me to tears yet 90% of the population love it. Bored bored bored.

lol
 ubkobalt
Msg: 32
Comic Book Geek
Posted: 12/28/2008 9:04:39 PM
As long as you can recognize the point when someone's eyes are glazing over, then you're ok. This is pretty much true for any subject, though.

I had a co-worker who shared a geeky interest with me, but I couldn't stand talking to him about it at all because he never shut up. Didn't recognize non-verbal signs of boredom.

I'm very much the same way.

I have quite a few geeky interests, but I don't enjoy obsessing over them. I'd bore myself. Unfortunately, few with geeky interests know how to moderate themselves.

I can tell you how video cards and video games work, but I'd rather not. I've seen most of the FOX cartoons. I used to be into anime.
I happen to enjoy watching Stargate.
Even though table-top gaming has never been my thing, I sort of get it.
But, if I try to find people of similar interests, all I can find are nerds who won't shut up! sigh.
 LakeCountyGal
Msg: 33
Comic Book Geek
Posted: 12/29/2008 5:52:10 PM
OMG, where have you been all my life???? Marry me???

Comic books rule, period. It's a shame there aren't more girls into it. More are getting into them, but it's taken a couple of decades for us to catch up with the boys.

I don't mind trying something new even if I'm not that interested in it, but I'm dating someone who digs it. I don't want to have to do it ALL the time mind you, if I'm not into it, but a little sacrifice every once in a while is no big deal.
 foxyari
Msg: 34
Comic Book Geek
Posted: 12/29/2008 8:26:30 PM
Are you kidding me!!

I think it's ok for people to have different interests but it's not ok for them to belittle yours!!

This is funny because as I was reading your post I thought of all the times I've dressed up as WonderWoman or Catwoman or Princess Leah to go see movies or for Halloween. I've never gone to conventions but boy, would I love to!!! Just the other day I saw the preview for the upcoming movie "Wolverine, The Origins" and I tell you, I was screaming as I realized Gambit is coming out in it!!! I was always disappointed that X-men excluded Gambit from their movies!!

Anyways, as you can see, there are some of us girls that will be more than happy to share you comic-book world with you!!!

Good luck,

Foxy
 geek2geek
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Comic Book Geek
Posted: 7/16/2011 7:59:23 PM
Well then I must the the geek with the most I own a comic book store. and go to conventions all over the east coast. and opening a 2nd store in pittsburgh. and my tag line for the store is RELEASE YOUR INNER GEEK.
 valenciacityx
Msg: 36
Comic Book Geek
Posted: 7/17/2011 1:58:21 PM
If she has a penchant for 19th century Russian Literature, 18th century Brit Lit, and a good dose of Transcendentalism - I would forgive the fact that she doesnt speak Russian......
cant have them all, at least not locally anyways.

If you love comics so much, you should try drawing your own. I have a friend taht started his own publishing house in NY; all from the drawings he used to do in Jr High when he was supposed to be paying attention in class. His most famous is the Pork Choppers (ok, it has a cult following, but really great stuff)
 ndralcasid
Msg: 37
Comic Book Geek
Posted: 7/25/2011 3:18:25 AM
The whole thing is honestly a giant gender issue.

Fact is, women, sadly, are generally not into that kind of stuff. I love my geeky hobbies, but most women don't tend to appreciate them. It makes things harder to connect with them in that sort of medium.

I would 100% be open if a women shared her interests with me, and would respect those interests.
 VegasGambit
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Comic Book Geek
Posted: 7/25/2011 11:37:01 AM
I find that nerd is the new "chic", at least for people my age. Whenever I go out, it's not uncommon to see someone wearing a shirt that has a comic book cover or a classic NES game logo or cover on it.

Actually, I am attracted to "nerd" women or women who are into that gamer/anime/comic culture. Unfortunately, most that I know are taken. I would jump at the chance to date someone who could kick my ass in Call of Duty or who says bye by saying "See you space cowboy." (bonus points if you get that reference).

But yes. It seems like the geeky guy is in, so much as if he can carry himself with confidence and swagger. It's those nerd girls that I want. Can anyone tell me where to find one?
 ndralcasid
Msg: 39
Comic Book Geek
Posted: 7/25/2011 1:39:04 PM
^sadly, nerdy women are low supply, high demand. Its virtually impossible to find a single one
 WhitePanda
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Comic Book Geek
Posted: 7/25/2011 2:02:00 PM
Go to conventions or travel abroad.You can meet all kinds of geeky women.
 ndralcasid
Msg: 41
Comic Book Geek
Posted: 7/25/2011 2:09:28 PM
^ traveling for conventions is ridiculiously expensive (hotels, tickets, food alone..and thets not counting the convention itself). And most girls that go there go with their boyfriends
 priestessoflemons
Msg: 42
Comic Book Geek
Posted: 7/25/2011 7:19:44 PM

Fact is, women, sadly, are generally not into that kind of stuff. I love my geeky hobbies, but most women don't tend to appreciate them. It makes things harder to connect with them in that sort of medium.

I find this to be true with online games. More men seem to play it then women. It's seem to be so much so that I am always called a he and it's also part of the rules of internet if you ever heard of that.

[url]http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-hGJMaELLh3E/TcRbf-IXRqI/AAAAAAAAAlw/ZM051c4b6w8/s1600/Funny-Internet.jpg[/url]

[qoute]You don't have to have 'everything' in common.

I find this to be true and I don't think that everyone is the same even if they did have all the same interests as another. There still will always be some sort of compromise. I personally think that more in common is a plus though.

They're not cartoons, they're graphic novels! lol

+ 1
 priestessoflemons
Msg: 43
Comic Book Geek
Posted: 7/25/2011 7:57:42 PM
ohhh and I knew this guy from online who met his wife through an anime chat room. So it's possible. I also know some of my friends who like to go to borders and barnes and nobles a lot. I bet you could find a geeky girl there. One of my friends actually goes right to the anime section take the manga off the shelf and just start reading it. lol
 WhitePanda
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Comic Book Geek
Posted: 7/25/2011 9:45:32 PM

^ traveling for conventions is ridiculiously expensive (hotels, tickets, food alone..and thets not counting the convention itself). And most girls that go there go with their boyfriends

I wasn't suggesting that he travel for conventions, but that he should just get out and travel in general. But if he does have to travel to get to a convention, there are a lot of ways to cut costs of such a trip. Hostels are generally a lot cheaper than hotels, if there is a motel near by that could also be an option. If he has friends that want to go, they can split the cost.
 VegasGambit
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Comic Book Geek
Posted: 7/25/2011 9:51:14 PM
I could totally pull of a helmet-less Mega Man if I don't comb my hair in the morning

ndralcasid
Msg: 46
Comic Book Geek
Posted: 7/25/2011 9:56:12 PM

I wasn't suggesting that he travel for conventions, but that he should just get out and travel in general. But if he does have to travel to get to a convention, there are a lot of ways to cut costs of such a trip. Hostels are generally a lot cheaper than hotels, if there is a motel near by that could also be an option. If he has friends that want to go, they can split the cost.

I've been to conventions aplenty. They're going to be expensive no matter what kind of costs you cut.

Also, they're good for supporting your hobby and checking the stuff out for your own interest. They're generally a bad place to pick up girls
 WhitePanda
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Comic Book Geek
Posted: 7/25/2011 11:10:48 PM

I've been to conventions aplenty. They're going to be expensive no matter what kind of costs you cut.

Also, they're good for supporting your hobby and checking the stuff out for your own interest. They're generally a bad place to pick up girls

I've been working in the travel and tourism industry for almost 2 decades. Maybe we have different definitions of expensive, but I don't see how this would be much different than people who spend money on concerts or festivals.

The only cost you could not reduce(unless you know someone) would be the entrance ticket. You can stay at a truck stop for free or join couch surfing also free. Public transportation is not expensive either. If you are creative and determined, you can cut a lot of costs.
 frenchfry929
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Comic Book Geek
Posted: 3/12/2016 4:16:43 PM
Hi, by any chance you in Michigan?
 bamagrl68
Msg: 49
Comic Book Geek
Posted: 3/19/2016 8:40:53 PM
sweetness-one- Ding Ding!