Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Can we create "life" artificially?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Ahron123
Msg: 27
Can we create life artificially?Page 3 of 3    (1, 2, 3)

I was just about to say well we can produce these proteins in labs but then you go and change the rules on what it means to produce a protein! :p

No I guess it's not.

I use the term 'idiot' very loosly when it's not directed at anyone. Obviously if someone HAD said that, i wouldn't have used the term 'idiot' directly at them.
 endlesslift
Msg: 28
Can we create life artificially?
Posted: 1/10/2010 10:15:12 AM
Nobody's done it that they know of.

I suspect it can happen spontaneously.

So it might be a matter of figuring out the conditions where it can happen spontaneously and then setting up those conditions.

Of course the notion of assembly. Someone might figure that out too.
 aremeself
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 1/10/2010 8:44:41 PM
Some chums are working on creating life, BUT, it won't be life as we know it on earth.

I don't care about the rules, we'll critique it when the time comes.

So, can some one give a rough number of particular items that all have to be there, and do they have to arrive in the right sequence? And other critical conditions, which, I think, would be fun to know.
 endlesslift
Msg: 30
Posted: 1/13/2010 12:04:56 PM
I bet that life is always being created spontaneously vs. it being a single occurrence.

It's probably going on in some specific place like volcanoes at the bottom of the ocean or something like that.
 aremeself
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 1/13/2010 5:45:30 PM
Without the convenient rules of physics, the atoms of a rock, [or the whole universe, for that matter] would not exist.
And as far as I know, a rock is 100% made up of atoms.
 Coyotefeller
Msg: 32
Posted: 10/7/2011 3:19:59 AM

A living thing has been defined as a unit that can replicate itself, requires energy for respiration and can be irritated by stimuli.

I knew someone like that once....
 swingarm1966
Msg: 33
Posted: 10/7/2011 4:57:43 AM
What is life? Is artificial intelligence life? This was a great 3 part documentary exploring many questions about technology artificial intelligence and nano technologies

TechnoCalyps - Part I - TransHuman
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7141762977713668208

TechnoCalyps - Part II - Preparing for the Singularity
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2258529707984107504

TechnoCalyps - Part III - The Digital Messiah
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RJXPKo1O4Q
 aremeself
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 10/7/2011 10:39:12 AM
God is sitting in Heaven when a scientist says to Him, "Lord, we don't
need you anymore. Science has finally figured out a way to create life
out of nothing. In other words, we can now do what you did in the 'beginning'."
"Oh, is that so? Tell me..." replies God.
"Well," says the scientist, "we can take dirt and form it into the likeness of You and breathe life into it, thus creating man."
"Well, that's interesting.. Show Me. "
So the scientist bends down to the earth and starts to mold the soil
" God interrupts, "Get your own dirt."
 aremeself
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 10/8/2011 10:30:56 AM
I figure energy [god] always existed, had to have for anything to follow.

'just' takes the proper laws of physics to create what we call matter.

stuff just looks, tastes ,feels, etc, real because in this universe with these laws of physics atoms can combine with other atoms and 'be' something...... matter.

and atoms are just energy, not anything that would still exist without those very exact laws of physics.

our atoms couldn't exist without our very precise laws.

life is another creation.

dirt in that story would have no life in it, like our dirt.
 8plenty8
Msg: 36
Posted: 10/18/2011 7:07:24 AM
Oh yay. Man hasn't figured out how to feed, clothe and house more than half of the population but they have plenty of energy to try and impress themselves by making new life. Ha ha ha.

That's like the man with a huge brood of kids he leaves to starve while he goes ****ing the neighbour's wife to see if he can get her pregnant.

Oh yay. What glory.
 MikeWM
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 10/18/2011 9:58:00 AM
I thought my son had created a new form of life once when I collected all the cups he had built up in his bedroom, some of which I think predated Moses lol

Not being religious, or even that scientific tbh I think this is probably one of those problems that is both unimagineably complex, but unbelievably simple at the same time

My guess is that its likely to continually dumbfound scientists actually looking to figure it out and will probably end up being done by accident by somebody trying to create some new revolutionary type of polymer using some abstract manufacturing process the scientists trying to create life never would have thought of

Sometimes logically exploring something can be counterproductive if the solution isnt in terms of your perspective a "logical" one

Oh yay. Man hasn't figured out how to feed, clothe and house more than half of the population but they have plenty of energy to try and impress themselves by making new life. Ha ha ha.

Actually man does infact "know" how to feed, house and clothe the current population of the globe and probably double that amount, its hardly rocket science

Theres a huge difference between not "knowing" something, and just not being interested in doing it or bothered about doing it

Just the personal wealth and resources of any of the worlds 100 richest people could probably do that and still have money left over. But they dont, its not because they dont "know" how to, they just dont "want" to

Big difference
 suziq977
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 10/21/2011 12:01:10 AM
I know they can create plant life artificially and there have been human pigs now they are doing weird stuff to fish....It is all very disturbing to me when someone or some company tries to play God and mess with organisms that are on the planet. If nature intended it to be here then its here if it didnt then we shouldnt mess with it period I can see all sorts of things that could go wrong. that particular "spell" is vibration. you tube cymatics its quite amazing. From whaT i understand is all life on this plant evolved from vibration
 MikeWM
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 10/21/2011 5:50:01 AM
Thats not really "artificial" life though is it?

Its more along the lines of reconstituted life, processed life, cloned life

We havent created a single "unique" living cell yet from scratch, never mind an animal made up of wholly unique building blocks so its a bit like claiming a kit car is a "unique" car, when infact its made out off a combination of bits from various cars all assembled to make a new "design" but from existing building blocks

Hardly the same thing at all
 aremeself
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 10/23/2011 10:11:59 PM
starting from what???

gotto create our own universe first, don't you think?
 aremeself
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Posted: 3/16/2012 11:39:26 PM
and then, finally, we will be the intelligent creators of life.
 mmadkins
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Posted: 4/5/2012 5:21:43 PM
Does evolution through artificial selection count? You know, like how we do with our vegetables and farm animals? Does that count as creating life? Whole species of organisms have been created through human efforts, it seems that creating life artificially has been going on before people could even write!
 mmadkins
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Posted: 4/5/2012 6:10:59 PM
Well, that's how you're defining what it means to "create life". But, I don't see why you would have to take that view, because it isn't necessary with most things we create. For instance, you don't have to have invented the wheel, axel, etc. to have created a car. You can take a bunch of pre-existing things, put them together, and have something that you created. You don't have to start from scratch.
 60to70
Msg: 44
Posted: 4/5/2012 9:54:51 PM
Why why would you want to? Create life artificially? Nature will always do a better and efficient job. Always. Any twists and turns and additional improvements and progress in Science usually produces very sad and final results. e.g....children born from sperm donors now needing some feedback...etc. etc. ...kick it up a notch and watch the disintegration of what is supremely valid and not meant to be frigged with. Oh ...right...there is only man's unrelenting progress into questionable areas. So be it. We are here for about twenty seconds. Good thing, smile.
 Kevin554
Msg: 45
Posted: 4/7/2012 1:23:11 AM
No scientists haven't and cannot yet actually create life, they cant even agree on the definition of it. They can create simple AI, but AI is nothing comparible to life. As far as cloning goes and things like that, i see it as a nightmare. It's a whole new pandora's box with no hope to pour out with it. As soon as one is allowed to tap into another's genome or dna sequences, that person immidiately loses the will to choose his or her own future. That will rests within the one manipulating dna. If DNA manipulation fully developes, for example: advertising would be a thing of the past, because companies would know just what to do with chemistry to either have a tremendous effect on your dna, or scientist could interlope the developement of ones brain, whether there were good intentions or not, based on beliefs. The one thing we possess as humans, and life as we know it, is will. You take that away, you become an artificially intellegent mass of cells.
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Can we create "life" artificially?