Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > "men outnumber women on dating sites" Fact? or Myth?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 patchman1313
Msg: 197
men outnumber women on dating sites Fact? or Myth?Page 15 of 19    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19)
^^^^^^^^
You reopen your account and get 300 messages in 48 hours. I guess that answers the initial question of this thread. There is no way you can have those numbers and still say this site is not a losing numbers game for men. How successful would many women on this site be if the guys they liked were also navigating through messages from 299 other women. If women who get this many messages are having a hard time meeting the right one, then how in the hell are the guys going to do it. Even if guys take better pictures or improve their profiles, many are still going to get lost in the shuffle. Just like when you look in the profile review thread, almost all of the requests are submitted by men. These kinds of things are proof of the problem. Oh, I know, It's because guys like me are sore losers and cry babies, or maybe we are just truth tellers. For me, I don't care, if you don't believe me look at my profile, and I have even met women on here. Even with my limited success, I am not going to deny the huge disadvantages of POF as a way to meet women.

ATB Patchman
 ozsealady1
Msg: 198
men outnumber women on dating sites Fact? or Myth?
Posted: 2/21/2014 12:33:17 AM
Patchman .... wow.
I just read your profile.

You can catch more flies with honey.......

the_biggavell
Msg: 199
Posted: 2/21/2014 2:59:38 AM
You must have been at 17 to be in ltr for the next 30. Years lol. Throughout that, You gained a lot of skills. I bet people say your quite charming. Now your out and on the prowl.

Reframe it if you like, all of those are used. Depending on the man, in your case, classic could fit.

lol @ the analogy. It seems pretty funny, but it was the best i could come up with to illustrate what every man wants around those ages
 activemelaney
Msg: 200
view profile
History
Posted: 2/21/2014 7:56:21 PM
There is something pathetic about men who hide behind unsubstantiated non facts to soften the blows to their self esteem.

Re a post above on sites are free to women. So now Match, Eharmony, Christian Mingle, etc. are free to women but not men? POF charges men for services they don't for women?

Men and women pair off. One to one. Millions of men have met their partneron this site and others.
 chill78
Msg: 201
Posted: 2/22/2014 8:27:36 AM
At the end of the day, males and females pair off. One to one. If a guy or gal can't be in the acceptable group of a member of the opposite sex then it has nothing to do with male/female ratios. Time to take inventory of 'why'.

The gender ratio doesn't mean men can't find a date. However the gender ratio can make it harder and can put men at a disadvantage. More competition for men. More potential options for women. In particular the ones younger than 40. Suppose there were 20 women and 50 men in a large room. Even if every woman found a date, the majority of men there still wouldn't have a date.

SINGLE, employed men outnumber single, employed women on dating sites? Fact? or Myth?

MYTH

Do you have any stats to back up this claim?.
 activemelaney
Msg: 202
view profile
History
Posted: 2/22/2014 9:24:59 AM
^^^^*

Firstly it's not 20 women to 50 men. It's more like 45 women to 50 men. And after they paired off, no surprise who would be the males left over. Nothing less attractive to us women than whiny negative men.

Also, if so few women OLD, then there must be millions elsewhere pairing off with males. Bars, etc. must have 50 females for every male.... Hint, there are not less females than males. Another hint, just about every one pairs off. If a guy can't find a woman it is not because of the stars are lined up against him.
 chill78
Msg: 203
Posted: 2/22/2014 10:18:33 AM
Firstly it's not 20 women to 50 men. It's more like 45 women to 50 men. And after they paired off, no surprise who would be the males left over. Nothing less attractive to us women than whiny negative men.

Also, if so few women OLD, then there must be millions elsewhere pairing off with males. Bars, etc. must have 50 females for every male.... Hint, there are not less females than males. Another hint, just about every one pairs off. If a guy can't find a woman it is not because of the stars are lined up against him.

This topic is not about whether men can find dates at other venues where the gender ratio might be even or there is more women than men. The gender ratio on POF might be about 50 men for 45 women for people over 40. However for people under 40, there can be 2 or 3 men for every woman. It's not "whining". It's stating a fact. Do a quick search. Based on age and geography. Like I said earlier, I never said men can't find dates on dating sites. I said the gender ratio can make it more difficult for younger men.
 Confident-Realist
Msg: 204
Posted: 2/22/2014 2:52:40 PM

There is something pathetic about men who hide behind unsubstantiated non facts to soften the blows to their self esteem.

To many, it's curiousity and seeing the differences from site to site. You can actually substantiate it, as I have countless times. Log out before a search (so it doesn't filter you out by age & other criteria). On this site, in the late 20s-40 range, it's a pretty big ratio difference. On Match, a pay site, it's smaller.

And you don't count the users with a non-deleted account -- you count the active users within 24 hrs.

It's more like 45 women to 50 men.

Depends what site. But for Match? No, not that close. Here? 42-52 years old -- which ratios get more even in the young column and the old column -- in this mid-sized city area: 391 Females, 653 Males online within 24 hours. This site has a bigger ratio difference compared to others. On small, niche sites you'll either see a very even ratio or one skewed in one direction (usually guys).

Also, if so few women OLD, then there must be millions elsewhere pairing off with males. Bars, etc. must have 50 females for every male

No... many people don't have to go out to bars vs online. And if there are any bars like that, let me know. :)

Hint, there are not less females than males.

Existing in the US & Canada? Pretty much true. Slightly more females, but we can just discount that as it's a decimal of a %. That doesn't mean there's just as many active females on a dating website or at any given bar. There are many people out there, men & women, who don't do much of either.

Another hint, just about every one pairs off.

The discussion's about Online matchmaking sites, and the gender ratio of who actively uses them. Not how many people are out on the planet.

Here's a unsubstantiated, and actually Proven False claim: Women on average sleep with less men than men on average sleep with women. They're going to be Equal if the same # of men & women exist.

But ONLINE, or any other particular area or demographic? That may be a different story.
 chill78
Msg: 205
Posted: 2/22/2014 3:09:55 PM
Msg 453

You are right the types of women that a man emails also plays a role. I wouldn't contact a woman if we had very few or no common interests. She isn't interested in my race or age group etc. There are various combinations of possible reasons why a man ( or woman) has success or doesn't has much success on a dating site.
 LiliMarleen
Msg: 206
view profile
History
Posted: 2/22/2014 5:10:50 PM
Haha, Zauber, you are so right.

My guy had a profile just like that. It was short, and terse, and he had cleverly put things in there he knew would be deal breakers for many women, but attractive to the right one.

And I, literally, had been doing a nationwide search including all the (searchable) qualities I wanted in a man. It was kind of a fantasy experiment to see if my "ideal" would actually bring up any matches.

We have been very happy for three years now.
 DragonBits
Msg: 207
Posted: 2/23/2014 7:34:48 AM

Here's a unsubstantiated, and actually Proven False claim: Women on average sleep with less men than men on average sleep with women. They're going to be Equal if the same # of men & women exist.

What that indicates to me is that a few women sleep with a much greater number of men than average. While men tend towards having a more normal distribution.

It's easier for women so inclined to be able to sleep with a large number of men than it is for men to have sex with an equally large number of women, so intuitively it makes sense that a few women skew the averages down for women if those few women aren't included in the survey.

And are we counting sex workers, since the vast majority are women that service men? A few women will have very high counts. Are they in the survey, and do they count paid sex with men as sex, and do men count sex with sex workers in their counts?

And this is assuming anyone keeps accurate count. It's easy to be accurate when the number is 2, difficult when it goes above a much higher number.

It's easier when you use numbers.

If you take 10 men and 10 women, and 1 women sleeps with all ten men, but the other nine women sleep with 1 of the men, then the average for women is 1.9.

If 9 men sleep with 2 women each and 1 man sleep with only 1, then the average for the men is 1.9 women. All ten of the men had sex with one woman, while 9 also had sex with one of the other 9.

But when you conduct a survey, you only ask a very small number of people the question. Since only one women had sex with all the men, the odds are that in a survey you won't ask that woman. Odds are greater that you will ask 2 women that only slept with 1 man and arrive at an average of 1.00. While when you ask the men, 9 of them slept with 2 women, and only 1 slept with 1, so the odds are you will ask one of the 9 men and arrive with an average of 2.0.

The real answers would be to examine the mean, average and mode of the survey respondents, or to ask every person in the USA, but it's easier and reasonably accurate to say women on average have fewer sex partners than men. It may not be 100% true statistically, but it's close enough for the average American citizen.
 activemelaney
Msg: 208
view profile
History
Posted: 2/23/2014 10:40:39 AM
Zauber...MSG 453.

Exactly!

A car manufacturer, breakfast cereal, clothing company doesn't try to be everything to all people. They target a niche. They distinguish themselves. They create a image that tries to capture 'x' percent of the market. Pink sneakers exclude most males, sparkles on them most adults, kitty cat logo most teens. The shoe company is targeting pre teen girls.

A guy would do much better to try and stand out. Post some corny photos of his hobby. Describe some crazy dream he has,Etc. Do it all in good taste. Go after 10% of the women that meet his criteria. My guy saw my profile and then customized his own profile to catch me. It worked. Everything in it was honest but he he decided to stand out...perhaps be less appealing to 'most' women but more appealing to me.
 Confident-Realist
Msg: 209
Posted: 2/23/2014 2:08:39 PM

But when you conduct a survey, you only ask a very small number of people the question. Since only one women had sex with all the men, the odds are that in a survey you won't ask that woman. Odds are greater that you will ask 2 women that only slept with 1 man and arrive at an average of 1.00.

Yep, and that's how the average can be thrown off. Which also throws off the median, too -- which I think is what people may be getting at.

The average # of men women pork is going to be the same as the average # of women that men pork. That's an inescapable fact (given there's the same # of men & women).

The median (the "middle" number in a list of numbers surveyed) will be different. But one way to see if your list is a correct representation of the population -- is to see if the average is more or less correct. When it's not, throw out the paper.

One paper/article had the average for Men=20, Women=6. And the median for Men=8, Women=3. Now, that 20 vs 6 is ridiculous. Not even remotely close. Which means taking the median from their results will be inaccurate, too, since it's an inaccurate list.

One COULD end up applying a guestimate as to how much the median would shift, due to the inaccurate average I guess. So if the average # is 13 for people (it has to be almost exactly the same for men & women as a fact) -- then I'd guess the median would be more like Men=7, Women=5.

I know what you're saying though. If the median for women is lower (more women on the below-average) -- then you're going to get a lot of 1s and 2s, right? True. But also you factor in LYING as well. The human psychology element of it all ruins the data collection.

If you were to survey a BIG number -- 100,000 people -- do you think the average would be the same for men & women? Probably not. But in reality it IS the same.
 activemelaney
Msg: 210
view profile
History
Posted: 2/23/2014 8:41:51 PM
^^^^dragonbits

Re number of partners. I did read one survey. Women are much less promiscuous than some think. The majority had not slept with a man they did not have a relationship with...about 4 on average before age 60. This more or less is what I would have guessed from what I know of female friends. Men were higher. Unfortunately some of the female patients we have coming through our ward...mentally ill, substance abuse, etc. do more than their share to raise male numbers.
 DragonBits
Msg: 211
Posted: 2/25/2014 12:05:00 PM

Nah, that is just part of the received doctrine of White Knight Pedestalling.

The whole post reminds me a marketing guy I once knew, he could sling BS with the best of them. My eyes would glaze over and at the end, it seemed like he said something important, but what it was no one could figure out.
 Confident-Realist
Msg: 212
Posted: 2/25/2014 1:10:31 PM

I did read one survey. Women are much less promiscuous than some think. The majority had not slept with a man they did not have a relationship with...about 4 on average before age 60.

Yes, and said women could not have been lying, right? :) To verify if the survey was sound, the average # would be essentially the same as the average # for guys. Mathematically, it has to be pretty much the same. These type of surveys are Very Difficult I'm sure, to get an accurate answer.

What that indicates to me is that a few women sleep with a much greater number of men than average. While men tend towards having a more normal distribution.

I don't think it's "a few" -- but notably less, yeah. Women tend to have more guilt about sleeping with a guy "too early" or outside a relationship. Ever hear "I don't normally do this"? Not to say a majority of guys solidly past college age won't have their guilt if the # feels a bit too high. That's why if one's going to base it off a "survey" -- the survey has to show their #s, be a big survey, and have the averages very close together to show it's accuracy.

You'd need an accurate (close to equal) "average" to assume it's an accurate "typical" (median) level for a guy and gal.

Other articles talk about how women's count may be off. I read one where guys tend to guestimate, while women tend to count off from memory which will be missing some. And also, guys may be counting general "hooking up" which may raise their #s, while women may be counting only intercourse as the question suggests, which will result in lower #s than the guys. Interesting stuff.

As far as ratio on dating sites? Much like # of partners slept with, IMO. I think you'll find the # vary depending on demographic. OKC did a ratio assessment in an article from years back... those like 18-22 had a pretty even ratio, but totally changed into sausage-fest when getting older, then going toward evening out later on. However, OKC can attract more people of particular demographics too -- just as POF & Match can differ as well (and they do have different ratio levels).
 DragonBits
Msg: 213
Posted: 2/25/2014 4:30:16 PM

I don't think it's "a few" -- but notably less, yeah. Women tend to have more guilt about sleeping with a guy "too early" or outside a relationship. Ever hear "I don't normally do this"? Not to say a majority of guys solidly past college age won't have their guilt if the # feels a bit too high. That's why if one's going to base it off a "survey" -- the survey has to show their #s, be a big survey, and have the averages very close together to show it's accuracy.

You'd need an accurate (close to equal) "average" to assume it's an accurate "typical" (median) level for a guy and gal.

Other articles talk about how women's count may be off. I read one where guys tend to guestimate, while women tend to count off from memory which will be missing some. And also, guys may be counting general "hooking up" which may raise their #s, while women may be counting only intercourse as the question suggests, which will result in lower #s than the guys. Interesting stuff.

I can think of several reasons why the survey would indicate men have more sexual partners than women.

The most important thing, we don't see the original survey, what population they questioned, nor do we see the distribution of outliers. Some surveys in the past were actually done in a prison.

Surveys like the older Kinsey Reports had significant portions of the samples from prison populations and male prostitutes. That was one reason why they orginally said 1 in 10 men were gay. So how are these other surveys conducted?

There is the problem of self-selection. Maybe women with high numbers don't volunteer for surveys. Maybe they are too busy?

There are big differences between the races and numbers of sex partners. Other surveys indicate black men have 4 times the number of sexual encounters Vs black women.

There are geographical differences, as women in New York City will have a very different set of answers Vs women in Madison WI.

Then are bisexual and gay men included? Does bisexual sex that a man has with another man count? I have read that gay men outnumber gay women 3:1, so if man on man sex counted, then that would throw the numbers off if you didn't know about that.

How are prostitutes handled? Do they count, and if a man has sex and pays for it, does he count that as a sexual partner? Does the woman count it?

I have read the same sort of thing. Though I thought hooking up would include intercourse.

In the past, surveys were done face to face, now they are starting to be done by a computer, which researchers hope will yield more honest results.

Personally, I have asked several women when I knew their counts were low, never asked when I knew their counts had to be higher than average. I assumed the women with higher counts would have been more offended, they might lie and those with lower counts I was more curious why. Lower being less than 3 in 20 years.

When one reads these sorts of surveys, you have to interpret it and just use it as a frame of reference, not an absolute.

And I am not sure what difference it really makes.
 Confident-Realist
Msg: 214
Posted: 2/25/2014 4:47:58 PM
There is the problem of self-selection. Maybe women with high numbers don't volunteer for surveys. Maybe they are too busy?

Or more apt to lie about the # than the men -- ie, exaggerate to a lower #...

There are geographical differences, as women in New York City will have a very different set of answers Vs women in Madison WI.

Actually, Wisconsin is a HUGE party school. But yeah, I get what you're saying. Location location location. I wouldn't expect the Average (mean) to be exactly the same. But my point is: When it's 20 vs 6? Don't believe the results -- ignore it's median (which was 8 vs 3). If one has skewed #s, it should be more of an article about lying about #s if they did over 10k who answered and the questions were posed correctly (many surveys don't in order to get interesting #s).

Lower being less than 3 in 20 years.

That's really low if they were single for most of that time. I think that's where things come in with guilt and why there's worry among some parents (and friends) if one's not in an LTR for too long. Human nature dictates that a relatively social person wouldn't have to be a (male) slut to rack up "high" #s if they were not in an LTR over a long periods of time.

When one reads these sorts of surveys, you have to interpret it and just use it as a frame of reference, not an absolute.

Or worth much of anything, really, depending on it's results. Again, 20 vs 6 average? That's far from what it mathematically should be in accuracy: even (like 13 vs 13). That survey would need to change their topic or question how they were surveying. I wouldn't trust it any more than if they said women=20 and men=6 on average if I was looking for a ballpark figure for something accurate.

Probably a survey should realize by default: Women's is going to most likely have a lower median (# of women on the low end) -- so the survey needs to be very Big -- otherwise the average And the median are both going to be wrong.
 PlentyofThis123
Msg: 215
Posted: 2/26/2014 2:50:04 AM
Funny thing, there was an experiment ran on another dating site, by an avid online blogger here;

http://jonmillward.com/blog/attraction-dating/cupid-on-trial-a-4-month-online-dating-experiment/

Apparently, dummy accounts were made during a 4-month trial, but apparently overall, women got inundated with email, while even the best looking men tended to struggle:

==The results after 24 hours showed that the two hottest women were instantly barraged with suitors, while the men, even the good-looking ones, struggled to get a nibble.

• Each woman received at least one message, but the two best looking women received 581% more messages than the other three combined.

• Only one man received any messages.==

581%...wow!
 DragonBits
Msg: 216
Posted: 2/26/2014 5:01:53 AM

Or more apt to lie about the # than the men -- ie, exaggerate to a lower #...

Men are very competitive and never want to appear weak or not very successful. I get that women may want to think their number is lower.

Yet you keep assuming women lie and make the number lower. Maybe more men lie and make their number higher? How can you tell who is lying, or who is lying MORE? You show a bias.

I don't think the bigger problem is actual lying, I think people just have a lot of biases in their memories, like people usually think they are “special and unique” when others think they are average.

IMO strangers on a survey, they make up answers IE guess at about what they think might be right to get the survey over with. Or some people deliberately lie for kicks. I have to dig at people to get to the truth if I care about it.

Probably a survey should realize by default: Omen’s is going to most likely have a lower median (# of women on the low end) -- so the survey needs to be very Big -- otherwise the average And the median are both going to be wrong.

I don't think anyone wants to pay for a survey that doesn't provide a profit motive, and when I hear someone on the phone say they are conducting a survey, I either tell them I am not interested or hang up.

There are large groups of people who don't want to be bothered answering questions, you will never get those people on a survey.

That's really low if they were single for most of that time. I think that's where things come in with guilt and why there's worry among some parents (and friends) if one's not in an LTR for too long. Human nature dictates that a relatively social person wouldn't have to be a (male) slut to rack up "high" #s if they were not in an LTR over a long periods of time.

Over 50% if all people are married.

I am not sure, how many people are relatively social? Of those relatively social people, how many prefer LTR?

In your mind, what are average numbers and what are high numbers for someone age 40?
 Confident-Realist
Msg: 217
Posted: 2/26/2014 7:56:26 PM

Yet you keep assuming women lie and make the number lower. Maybe more men lie and make their number higher? How can you tell who is lying, or who is lying MORE? You show a bias.

I point that out because 3 is REALLY low. 20 is too high, yes. I think both genders (people in general) will try and keep their #s down when they're (adjusting tie)... adults. Many guys, if their # is too low, would want to exaggerate it to keep it up, yeah. Teens & early 20s guys? Exaggerate high, sure. Women if theirs is too low? Unless a virgin, very few would want to "raise it" in general, when compared to guys.

I don't think the bigger problem is actual lying, I think people just have a lot of biases in their memories

I think lying to themselves -- which is a whole other ball of wax but related to this -- is LYING and about "false memories".

I don't think anyone wants to pay for a survey that doesn't provide a profit motive, and when I hear someone on the phone say they are conducting a survey, I either tell them I am not interested or hang up.

Some places get paid by other places to do surveys, though. The survey place aren't necessarily going to be paid by the taker of the survey.

I am not sure, how many people are relatively social? Of those relatively social people, how many prefer LTR?

I wasn't talking about surveying there, man. You're just being argumentative for the sake of it. Take it easy. :) I'm talking about the concept of human nature and how "easy" it is to even not-so-easily rack up "numbers" when you're single for longer stretches of time compared to someone else.

In your mind, what are average numbers and what are high numbers for someone age 40?

I'm not making predictions on it -- I'm pointing out that if a survey has their results at Men=20, women=6 and claims it as a good sample of the population -- that it's not results to feed off of, since the averages are so skewed. Do you disagree?

Plus, many of them don't show the fine details of the survey which can throw things off.

Anyway, in my mind the average # for men & women at age 40? Roughly the same -- which is my point. :) So when the averages on something are skewed -- it shows more about human perception/memory/honesty than how many people do.
 milkloverx
Msg: 218
Posted: 2/26/2014 11:00:37 PM

Keep the bitterness in check. Women seem picky because they can be. It's simple economics. They are the scarce supply and we are the huge demand. Therefore their price goes up. Their not being shallow their being reasonable.

We would do it too if women outnumbered us.

I wholeheartedly disagree. I've met women from this site and a disturbing number of them have been very shallow, picky and conceited. I've noticed that if there is one thing about you they don't like, it's a deal breaker. Women want perfect hairlines, young, and you HAVE to be at least 6 feet or taller. They don't like men that live in apartments or that drive used cars. The list goes on, and if one thing is not met, you're out..

Then they claim that the site isn't working for them, or they call us losers and claim we're not quite in their league, not stable enough (monetarily of course). They'll meet you and smile the fake mile and act like they're interested, then completely and suddenly disappear without an explanation. Some of them, even though they are on the same level as you physically, or even less so, apparently see themselves much differently in the mirror and claim the guy isn't quite what they expected physically... I know that from experience.. They will tell other people about men posting dishonest photos of themselves and then they are fat and ugly in person, but in actuality it's the woman that didn't look so hot in person. I consider myself an average looking guy but I think I do damn good for being almost 40, and I'm in better shape than most people half my age, but that doesn't cut it for the women my age. Women my age want the younger men even if they don't look that great, to make THEM feel better about themselves, and the women 10 years older than me all send me messages. In the end, I end up dating women a LOT younger than me because they aren't so picky and judgmental yet. I don't exactly complain about that but it's pretty depressing trying to date women my own age...
 Confident-Realist
Msg: 219
Posted: 2/26/2014 11:12:40 PM

I wholeheartedly disagree.

I actually agree, though -- and with you mostly as well.

Women want perfect hairlines, young, and you HAVE to be at least 6 feet or taller. They don't like men that live in apartments or that drive used cars. The list goes on, and if one thing is not met, you're out..

Depends on the women you're aiming for -- but yeah -- very picky. And that's why I Agree with what you were quoting. It's because it's a sausage-fest. In any sausage-fest, the single girls will be very picky. In the much more rare situations where it's tons of girls and few guys -- they'll be less picky, and the guys will be more picky.

They'll meet you and smile the fake mile and act like they're interested, then completely and suddenly disappear without an explanation. Some of them, even though they are on the same level as you physically, or even less so, apparently see themselves much differently in the mirror and claim the guy isn't quite what they expected physically

Not necessarily the latter part -- although you may assume that.... it's mainly because online, this site especially, you have mailboxes that are Very Full where if only 5% were considerable, they'd still have several other options not even counting IRL... plus, many still be entangled with their ex and are just testing the waters.

BUT, when you do meet girls -- *IF* all of them tend to disappear after the first date when everything leading up to it seemed swell, including the 1st half or so of the meetup/date, then maybe it's not so much about them being so picky, but the guy unknowingly throwing them off.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > "men outnumber women on dating sites" Fact? or Myth?