Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Religion  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 themadfiddler
Msg: 111
SatanismPage 2 of 9    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)
Being familiar with Goetic magic to a small degree I can comfortably say that like LaVey's **stardization of Enochian in the Satanic Bible, to apply parts of a system of magic, willynilly, is a matter of garbage in garbage out. Goetia is part of a complete system of magic that, unless you actually know how to use it will render you zip for results.

If they are under the impression they can contact these spirits as "mentors" then they haven't read the fine print. That's not how they work either.

Good luck to them though. The only thing they will wreak havoc on is their daytimer.
 themadfiddler
Msg: 113
Satanism
Posted: 2/15/2007 11:56:30 AM
There's a whole lot about the mythology and the reality of Goetic magic that just wouldn't mesh with Satanism as such which is what caught my eye...and the King Solomon myth is of course very metaphoric. But the brass vessel is partly right...it is not a jug, but very much more likely a mirror. The "enslaving" part is purely metaphor however...

In any case, since communication with a Goetic spirit occurs under a semi-trance state for either the magus or his seer, what these folks are looking for is just not plausible, nor is the kind of direct communication a la comic books or movies...are these things real discarnate entities? Fragments of our own psyche? A bit of column A and B? Perhaps. But the amount of work required tends to discourage the punters and leave all but those dedicated to ceremonial magic from bothering so the average Satanist of any stripe isn't likely to bother.

For more on real Goetic operations I would refer you to these lovely folks www.templeofastarte.com who have been at it for some time in this era.
 etherealone
Msg: 122
Satanism
Posted: 3/27/2008 3:25:28 AM
i am not a Satanist, but i do have a religion/philosophy that seems to generate the same response as a satanist. as a Thelemite, i have recieved much flack over the years.

it would amaze many poeple on this forum and other christian forums that the things they practice everyday are considered "occult."

deep prayer, meditation, reiki, therapeutic touch, esoteric healing, stone massage, tarot/fairy/totem animal cards are all considered "occult." these are all things that soccer moms and and angry divorcees alike LOVE to soak up and take part in. they all must be occultists?

93 Drummer666, i wonder if anyone here knows the signifigance behind 666? what it means? or more specifically, what it does not mean!
 themadfiddler
Msg: 125
Satanism
Posted: 3/27/2008 4:02:56 PM

In the 16th centery a scientist discovered how to sell his soul to the devil, by signing a contract after 6 hours 6 minutes and 6 seconds is up the devil becomes the rightful owner of your soul.

Is that according to the clocks set in Greenwich or Hell?

I'd really like to see someone attempt to make a "valid" numerological connection between 666 and Satan but outside of poorly written evangelical "spook" books and equally bad Satanist books attempting to cash in on teenage rebellion and gullibility, as well as associations between 666 and The Beast described in Revelations, which in my opinion is a non-prophetic reference to Rome and very likely Nero, there is no good reason to associate the two.

But it looks so spooky on T-shirts and reminds everyone of the Omen Movies and who doesn't like a good boogeyman story?
 themadfiddler
Msg: 128
Satanism
Posted: 3/28/2008 12:38:51 PM

Actually,I read that 666 was a mis translation.According to the Dead Sea Scrolls,the Mark of the Beast is actually "616".

So it's a guy living way down the street from the Beast

this is 6 hours, 6 minutes, and 6 seconds after you sign the cotract presented to you by Mephistopheles (note: Mesphistopheles and Satan are two different Devils) Mephistophelese is a (Greek) devil that is "He who shuns the light"

And it probably says that in some moldy old or not so old grimoire because *insert Jeopardy music and wait for Occam's Razor to kick in* ...the association with the number in Revelations, not because of any actual numeric association between the number 6 and the entity in question. It smells funny in any case...I'd want to redo the work on that one.

The idea of a "Satanic contract" is very likely just a **stardized conception of invocatory magick filtered through the "Chinese whispers" game anyway...so the hour minute and second might relate to the magickal hours of operation but to be honest, I couldn't be arsed to look it up so close to work.
 whitegold765
Msg: 129
Satanism
Posted: 3/28/2008 10:00:20 PM

Christianity and Satanism are complete opposits to, this is because the "coin" is flipped around Satanism is the "left hand path" and all other's are the "right hand path"

ALL others? Not true at all. Though the "left hand/right hand" concept is rejected by a large number of religious scholars, in any case there are a number of other belief systems that walk the same path, including some forms of paganism, setianism and even hindu.

In the 16th centery a scientist discovered how to sell his soul to the devil, by signing a contract after 6 hours 6 minutes and 6 seconds is up the devil becomes the rightful owner of your soul.

You're joking, right? a) In general Satanists don't believe in the devil or Mephistopheles as actual beings. You may have read a different Satanic Bible than mine. b) How did a "scientist discover" this? What sort of "scientist" would study that, and what exactly was he studying when he stumbled on this "fact". c) Who the hell (no pun intended) would sign a contract for 6 hour 6 minutes and 6 seconds? What a ludicrous contract.

I'd really like to see someone attempt to make a "valid" numerological connection between 666 and Satan

There's not a lot of depth to them, but here's what I've come up with. Nero does seem the most compelling explanation. Depending on spelling (it could be Neron in Greek, or Neron in Latin, iirc) it would add up to 616 OR 666, which would explain that difference. 616 appears to be the earliest version used.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number_of_the_Beast_%28numerology%29
http://www.csad.ox.ac.uk/POxy/numero.htm

Getting back to the OP, I know what you mean about that sort of pre-judgement on anyone with a "dark" look. And in fairness a lot of people who go for that Aesthetic do find "real" Satanism appealing. To the people that question the OP's use of the term "real" they weren't making any assessment of what sect or type is real, but rather stating their own exclusion from any such group. Imagine you saw someone with black pants, white business shirt, black tie, holding a large book. You might think they were a mormon. But in this case, they're not. That's their work uniform and the book is one they borrowed from a friend. About Bees. Anyway, they are not a REAL mormon. But that's not a judgement call about what a "real" mormon is. But certainly you aren't one if you... say... share none of their beliefs. At all.

In any case I posted this on another Satanism related thread, but it died really quickly afterwards, so I hope no one minds if I re-post it here. It took ages to write, so...

Ok, this is a really long post. My apologies. I've studied Satanism a bit so I thought I'd clear up the misunderstandings.

Satanism is not about worship of the Devil as an evil entity, but rather worship of the self and the power of the individual. It's a religion based on the valuing of excellence and intelligence, self interest, and individual responsibility.

Few (if any) Satanists actually believe in The Devil (or God) so suggesting that Satanists are backing either the bad guy or the losing side is missing the point. Satanists also don't tend to believe in either evil or sin, as both are arbitrary and subjective concepts, and in many cases completely hypocritical.

Not many people would put Satanism as their religion because a) it's not an option. And b) it's not in their best interests. The latter of which is at the core of Satanism.

Satanism is often blamed for certain crimes. These crimes are usually the action of disturbed people with mental problems who claim to be Satanists. That's much the same as the crimes committed by those who claim God made them do it. Ie, not representative of the beliefs.

An important part of Satanism is that sacrifice of animals is thoroughly not allowed, any Satanist who was sacrificing animals would be rejected and derided by other practitioners.

The long version for those with actual interest:

Satanism is a religion that few but practitioners really know much about. I refer, by the way, to Laveyan Satanism. There are a few different branches of things that call themselves Satanism, but most "satanists" are of the LaVeyan type. (Or occasionally part of a branch off that.)

First of all, few Satanists believe in Satan. I know. Weird, huh? Specifically they don't believe in Satan as a literal being, the opposite of God (who most also don't believe in).

Satanism could generally be thought of more as "elitist self-interest" than anything else. The "Satan" that Satanists worship is themselves. They see themselves at the core and centre of their own universe, and see themselves as the true power in their own lives. Satanists respect and embrace teh beast within themselves, the carnal, the powerful. The other names given to Satan (Beelzebub, Baal, Lucifer, etc) are often adopted as well, to call on the aspects of what those now demonised pagan gods represented. Music, intelligence, truth, hidden mysteries, etc.

Satanism is called that for a reason. It's a deliberate rejection of the "mainstream" view of Christianity. Its aesthetic, doctrine, and name are all deliberately and openly antithetical to Christianity. This is not (just) because they don't agree with christianity, but because they don't agree with any degree of unthinking following of any belief or attitude.

Satanists are almost always pretty much atheists, not believing in God, or the Devil, etc. The reason they're an "ism" at all is that LaVey believed (as many do) that there is a need for ritual, for belief, in the human psyche.

Satanists consider "morality" and "sin" as pointless and meaningless concepts. They are arbitrary and subjective, so attempting to live by them is useless. Satanists therefore consider nothing "wrong" as such, and particularly consider sexual "sins" of little interest or importance.

Satanism values above all things intelligence. They consider themselves an intellectual elite. And to be honest they generally are very intelligent. Satanists therefore do whatever best suits their needs, regardless of morality. They don't kill people... because that would be stupid. You go to jail. Same with being kind to other people. It's generally in your best interests to be kind, courteous, and thoughtful to other people.

Being stupid is actually (literally) the greatest sin. I probably mis-spoke myself earlier. There ARE considered 9 Sins among Satanists. They're basically things like Stupidity (1) and Herd Conformity (5). Pride is one also, but that's Counterproductive Pride (8). Pride itself is considered a positive. It's hard to worship yourself as the god of your own universe without a healthy dollop!

Herd Conformity is one thing Satanists despise, and almost to a man (or woman) they speak of not fitting in, not being like everyone else, and feeling they're better than other people. Any comments about the irony of joining a group of non-conformists are usually ignored.

The actual philosophies of Satanism are really pretty mild. The Satanic Bible is the clearest of all "religious books" mostly because it's written in English, and quite recently.

The 11 Satanic Rules of the Earth

1. Do not give opinions or advice unless you are asked.
2. Do not tell your troubles to others unless you are sure they want to hear them.
3. When in another’s lair, show him respect or else do not go there.
4. If a guest in your lair annoys you, treat him cruelly and without mercy.
5. Do not make sexual advances unless you are given the mating signal.
6. Do not take that which does not belong to you unless it is a burden to the other person and he cries out to be relieved.
7. Acknowledge the power of magic if you have employed it successfully to obtain your desires. If you deny the power of magic after having called upon it with success, you will lose all you have obtained.
8. Do not complain about anything to which you need not subject yourself.
9. Do not harm little children.
10. Do not kill non-human animals unless you are attacked or for your food.
11. When walking in open territory, bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask him to stop. If he does not stop, destroy him.

Most of them are are quite reasonable and even wise unless you find the use of the term "lair" weird, which I do. LaVey uses "lair" to refer to your house, unit, room, caravan, tent, etc.

4 and 11 need further explanation. LaVey was a believer that people who are rude, stupid, obnoxious, boorish and aggressive should not be apologised for, excused and tolerated. They should be driven out, ostracised and rejected. That's what he means by "destroy". Not killing. That would be stupid.

5 is a good theory. We all hate those sleazy losers who hit on every woman. I just wish I knew the mating signal. And was given it.

7 is also interesting, as it talks about magic. Satanists believe in two kinds of Magic (Magick, to differentiate it from stage magic, etc).

The Lesser Magick is the power one person can have over another by things like appearance, wiles, confidence, subtle manipulation, etc. This is no different to what "secular" people do, just mystified up a bit, written out, etc. If you think it doesn't work try wearing a singlet and shorts to a job interview. Women are considered particularly capable of this magic, and LaVey's book on it is called The Satanic Witch for that reason. (I haven't read it. Couldn't find it easily.)

The Greater Magick is ritual magic that essentially uses a number of items and systems to create spells to gain the desire of the practitioner, ranging from wealth, sex and power to killing of enemies. I often wondered about that last, as personally I could never want to kill anyone. Then a close friend of mine was raped (again), and I realised that if I did have the power to do such a thing (kill the rapist at a distance with my will) I would certainly do it.

LaVey was a big believer in this sort of magick, and his book on it (The Satanic Rituals) is full of dark incantations, stuff to do with silver daggers, etc. I've read that one. It's mildly interesting.

The big question, of course, is whether it works. The principle is a well known one, wish for what you want, essentially The Secret, but with scarier costumes. LaVey swore by it, to the degree that it's one of the fundamental points of his religion. But in later years since he died the prominence of it has gone up and down.

My personal opinion is that it doesn't work. I have no basis for that as I haven't tried it, but I'm not that keen to spend weeks of my life in a black velvet cape with a dagger and an upside down crucifix chanting Enochian to prove it for myself.

I agree with many (almost all) of the basic principles of Satanism. In particular the value of individual responsibility. They also push consistently for all churches to pay taxes, which I'm a big supporter of. They (the Church of Satan) do pay taxes themselves, despite being exempt.

Why am I not a Satanist?

1. I don't need to be. That "need" for ritual, etc, LaVey wrote of, I simply don't have.
2. I see no benefit to me in being part of it. Which is sort of the core of Satanism itself.
3. I have no desire to associate officially with something generally (deliberately) percieved as "icky".
4. I have neither belief nor interest in the ritual and magic aspects.
5. The darkness and "spookiness" of Satanism doesn't appeal to me at all. A bit too emo.
6. The worldview is simply too bleak. All other persons are seen as mere pawns to be manipulated.
7. It's too cold and unforgiving. To the Satanist the poor are seen as failures, who simply didn't have what it took and failed at the social darwinism level. While I believe that we're all to some degree responsible for our fates and situations I simply can't go quite as far as the Satanist tends to.
8. Far too much reliance on money as the only counter of success or value of a person.
 themadfiddler
Msg: 130
Satanism
Posted: 3/28/2008 10:50:51 PM

You're joking, right? a) In general Satanists don't believe in the devil or Mephistopheles as actual beings. You may have read a different Satanic Bible than mine. b) How did a "scientist discover" this? What sort of "scientist" would study that, and what exactly was he studying when he stumbled on this "fact". c) Who the hell (no pun intended) would sign a contract for 6 hour 6 minutes and 6 seconds? What a ludicrous contract.

To clarify what I was mentioning earlier and perhaps shed light on this fragment, it looks like a reference to invocation/evocation magick that was done requiring the use of the "planetary hours" of the particular entity involved. One finds which one of the philosophical planets the spirit in question is "ruled by" and then which of the planetary hours one needs to perform the given magick in...these do not conform to standard hours but rather are divided from the rise and fall of that planet in the heavens in your locality.

In any case, this has of course nothing to do with 666 and less than nothing to do with modern Satanism as a movement and any attempt to associate the two would be a load of bollix. I'm afraid I must side with you and say someone needs to be a-checkin' their info...

You know what the most tiresome thing about LaVeyan Satanism is?

Most of the work of the great big "pant-load" known as Anton LaVey is plagiarized from others...the man was a lying, plagiarizing, wife-beating, animal-harming thief, and his life was, quite frankly, mostly one that was of no great moment.

http://www.luckymojo.com/esoteric/religion/satanism/ref.laveylegends.txt

LEGEND: ASL wrote the _Satanic Bible_, his principal work, to fulfill his
congregation's need for a scriptural guide.
REALITY: _The Satanic Bible_ was conceived as a commercial vehicle by
paperback publisher Avon Books. Avon approached ASL for some kind of
Satanic work to cash in on the Satanism & witchcraft fad of the late 1960s.
Pressed for material to meet Avon's deadline, ASL resorted to plagiarism,
assembling extracts from an obscure 1896 tract - _Might is Right_ by Ragnar
Redbeard into a "Book of Satan" for the _SB_, and claiming its authorship
by himself. [Ironically these _MiR_ passages are the ones most frequently
quoted by ASL disciples.] Another third of the SB consists of John Dee's
"Enochian Keys", taken directly but again without attribution from Aleister
Crowley's _Equinox_. The _SB_'s "Nine Satanic Statements", one of the
Church of Satan's central doctrines, is a paraphrase, again unacknowledged,
of passages from Ayn Rand's _Atlas Shrugged_. The last words in the _SB_ -
"Yankee Rose" - have been puzzled over for years by readers. "YR" is
actually the name of an old popular tune in ASL's nightclub repertoire.
SOURCES: ASL, _The Satanic Bible_; Ragnar Redbeard, _Might is Right_, Port
Townsend: Loompanics (reprint), 1896; Ayn Rand, _Atlas Shrugged_ (Galt's
speech, ca. pages #936-993); "Yankee Rose" by Sidney Holden & Abe Frankl
(Irving Berlin Music, 1926).

Ayn Rand, Ragnar RedBeard, Aleister Crowley and John Dee, all unacknowledged or outright ripped off...and that's only in the Satanic Bible... read the rest of the stories at the link above and smell the BS. Astounding.

Too emo indeed.
 whitegold765
Msg: 131
Satanism
Posted: 3/29/2008 1:17:51 AM
Thanks for the interesting info!

I knew some of this. I've read one of the "biographies" listed in that text, and it read to me more like propaganda and mythologising than any genuine life-story.

I didn't know that about his past, the violence, etc. Sounds like a charmer!
 TheLimey
Msg: 133
view profile
History
Satanism
Posted: 4/12/2008 10:58:20 PM

So it's a guy living way down the street from the Beast

You're thinking of 667, the neighbor of the beast.
 themadfiddler
Msg: 138
Satanism
Posted: 6/21/2008 12:58:20 PM

You're speaking of MILITARISM!! "Satan" is a military term referring to rank!!! Duh!!!

At least research a name before organizing a religion around it...... lol

Thank you for listening!!!

BreeZ

Where in the world did you here that? I'd love to know. It's complete nonsense...but I'd love to hear who said it. No offense. Do you have a citation?
 themadfiddler
Msg: 140
Satanism
Posted: 6/21/2008 5:23:20 PM
Well, I'll wait and see if that was indeed the poster's source. I was hoping for something shall we say...uhm...a little more...authoritative *chuckle* than someone like Van "Imp".

That is to say, I already know what the origin is of the word Satan, that it is quite undisputed, and that it has bollix all to do with a ranking system... I just wanted to see where indeed the poster would get such stuff from.

So if your putting bets on Van Impe and the "principalities and powers" thingie, I'd say that's a fair cop.
 pappy009
Msg: 142
view profile
History
Satanism
Posted: 6/28/2008 1:21:41 PM
If you go back into time, well before the bible and its writings. Ancient Astrologers seen the planet Venus as a planet of values, femine. Venus has two direct influences in the sky. Its the morning star and the evening star. As the morning star it rose before the Sun, thus the Bearer of light and given the Name Lucifer. As the evening star its qualities changed as to represent the Sun after its doings of the day. Its name would have Been Isis in Egypt, Inna to the Sumers or Babylonians.(Manly P Hall) To those astrologers, Venus rules all things practical, sensual, money and self worth. All the things the Satanist seem to understand. Values of the Ego.

In mystical understanding, Satan refers, Gnostically to the mind. In Revelations its says, That Lucifer sat on the right hand of G-d. So whose on the left. Through out the bible you often see that said the right hand of G-d and the Left hand of G-d. Now, in Gnostic understanding, G-d created Sophia, an entity under G-d, part of G-d but to a lesser degree. Sophia represents the mind. Thats how the Greeks created the word Philo-Sophia. Please this is all a form of symbolism. This entity called Sophia created a lesser entity and its this entity that believes that its the real G-d and only G-d. Its a lesser creation therefore does not understand or see anything above itself. Thus the self thus the Ego.
Bear with me, Its said in the book or Revelations that "Satan sat upon the throne of G-d", Throughout the Bible again you read about the Throne of G-d, the Throne and so on. Now try to imagine that the Throne of G-d is your mind. As the Gnostic's believe it to be. The left hand and right hand are the lobes of the Brain and that the mind is the builder of thoughts and connections to all beliefs. Satan rules, deceit and deception. So for me, Satan represents a negative form of thinking or a duality possibly ying and yang explanations.
For me Satanism does not really exist as a religion but a way of life of living in this world. Were all sinners because we live here. We should look at Sin as a gift from a creator. We are permitted to Sin. And if the symbolism is correct, then Lucifer who is the Bearer of light represents negative thinking and ego, and its throu this we find redemption and so on to Salvation and so on. So symbolically Satanism or Lucifer is a function of this reality and not something to be worshiped just lived.

What I just wrote is a condensed concept from Astrology, Kabbala, Mythological symbolism, and ancient Greek culture. Oh Yea, Some Rosicrucian concepts. Generalized. Interesting stuff, kind of separates you from religion. either one
 clarence clutterbuck
Msg: 153
view profile
History
Satanism
Posted: 7/4/2008 7:22:08 PM

Anyone who ventures forth and works with the thousands of powers, entities, gods, etc., realizes that they are dealing with a "real" power. They are there, they exist, you just can't plug them into a wall and turn them on like a lamp. We could be addresses 35,000 Hindu gods/goddesses here . . . . . . .

do these deities have any power over a child who is brought up to have no knowledge of or belief in them ,whatsoever?
 Lilith Delost
Msg: 154
RE: Message 132
Posted: 7/5/2008 12:33:34 AM
As a LaVeyan Satanist I figure I'll put my attempt to explain the COS reply to im_literit.

They said: The idea of acknowledging magic is solely meant for internal psychological integration, not for some paranormal or supernatural reasons.

Meaning: We have rituals and magic to provide a form of psychological self-help. If I am upset or very angered at something I will go to my ritual chamber and perform a destruction ritual, which si consdiered a form of 'lesser magic'.

They said: Playing one “game” and then contradicting it in other aspects of behavior can lead to certain forms of unease and emotional dissonance. Thus it is pragmatic, materialistic, and quite functionally apt – in our experience.

I'm not 100% sure, so don't pin me to this as fact, but I think by game he means action. If you do one thing and say another it isn't very helpful or beneficial. Its hypocritical and stupid.

For more information on magic in Satanism see this site: http://www.dpjs.co.uk/magic.html

It might even explain it better then I could.
 Ravenstar66
Msg: 155
view profile
History
RE: Message 132
Posted: 7/7/2008 5:28:16 PM
Pan was a fertility god... and the old gods were frequently not always benevolent. They had their dark sides.

Magick is very real... but I think people mistake ritual for magick.. ritual is quite rightly a way to change your psychological state.. (and physical, as shown by experienced meditators in quite a few studies) which has many uses, but it's not magick... maybe one way to tap into it though - most new-agers are overly dramatic, and frequently not able to be objective. Not sure why. I think one of the misperceptions of magick is that it's something "special" that is only done by a few in very proscribed ways, but I think the real case is it is something that permeates life itself and everyone performs magick all the time.

I see magick as akin to (or the same as) the observer phenomena in quantum mechanics, just part of the way the universe works. Basically life is magick.. and the universe seems to be set up to respond to life. I reading a very interesting book right now called "Biocosm" which looks into the phenomena and research into the anthropic principles of the universe. I'm only just into it so can't paraphrase yet, but it's truly fascinating.

JMHO

Peace
 NorwegianWinter
Msg: 156
Satanism
Posted: 6/6/2009 7:27:26 PM
HAHAHAHAHA!!!

I must admit I have found everyone's views and "knowledge" on Satanism to be quite fascinating, extremely entertaining, and for most part incorrect. This I attribute primarily to a LACK of knowledge on the subject. TRUE Satanism is beyond a religion. Sure, I did notice that there were a few facts stated in different posts that had a bit of truth to them, depending on which denomination or sect of Satanism you are referring to, but most of those I discredit as being TRUE Satanism. Satanism does not parallel christianity, it breaks the barriers of all of the lies and hypocrisies which surround it. Yes, a key point to TRUE Satanism is the complete and total abolishment of christianity, but you must first know and understand the origins of BOTH religions to see the truth as to WHY this is, although as I stated previously I do not see Satanism as a religion. It is beyond the moral and cosmic constraints and doctrine of a "religion".

I was once atheistic and considered myself to be of the LaVeyan philosophy and even called myself a member of the church of Satan, but that proved to be a stepping stone which helped me open my mind to something much greater, so I cannot speak ill of the LaVeyan philosophy, though I do not consider it to be TRUE Satanism. It is merely "humanism" with a "cool" name and theatrical twist to push the buttons of society. There are many flaws with the Satanic Bible just as there are with the christian bible.

I will be more than happy to discuss this topic personally if you have any questions, but TRUE Satanism is for the sinister elite, and I only share the knowledge I have obtained with those who have a true desire to know and learn. It is a truth that transcends "good" and "evil". Nothing to do with "trekkie" mentality or music or clothes or anything of material nature.

I will say that it's kind of a shame that there aren't any dating sites for Satanists. lol.
 NorwegianWinter
Msg: 157
Satanism
Posted: 6/6/2009 7:42:21 PM
...or "adversary".
 2hi-iq-4u
Msg: 158
Satanism
Posted: 6/6/2009 8:07:21 PM
Interesting bump. You realize that most of the people who originally responded have likely moved on?

It' s a sort of logical flaw in the system. You have to search for old threads to bump, and then people respond to the OP instead of the bump.

I really don't claim to know Satanism. I sut relate to Satan being called "The father of lies" and "the great deciever." I have no desire to decieve anyone but for the purposes of protection or greater good. If Satanism understands the truth of lies, then perhaps it can a benefit to come. I am a Shamanist. I follow no one. I lead.
 scorpiomover
Msg: 160
view profile
History
Satanism
Posted: 6/7/2009 7:32:02 AM

Which makes me laugh, cuz being a Satanist isnt a bad thing....if you're being a REAL satanist and not what the judeo-christians label a satanist (anyone who doesnt believe in Christ and the lord saviour). What are your thoughts on Satanism?
AFAIK, the word "Satan" COMES from Judeo-Xian views. So, if you don't believe that Judeo-Xian views are right, then to you, Satan doesn't exist. So how could any such person be a Satanist, anyway?
 2hi-iq-4u
Msg: 165
Satanism
Posted: 6/13/2009 1:18:33 PM
I find some of these dictionary responses hilarious.

The term Christianity comes from "those who follow Jesus"

"Love they neighbor", Right?

"Judge not lest ye be judged," eh?

Do these sound like any Christians you have met? Recently?

(I know there are some)
 2hi-iq-4u
Msg: 167
Satanism
Posted: 6/13/2009 5:51:13 PM
^^

There are many who try to follow the precepts and fail. Even most Christians admit that there are plenty of "Sunday Christians," who work on a quick route to hell during the week, but show up for church bright and early every Sunday.

Anyway, the point was that "Satanism" is simply a word for a belief that is practiced differently by different groups, and there is not a right way or wrong way to worship Satan. If there was a right way to worship wrong guy, would it make sense in the first place?
 scorpiomover
Msg: 168
view profile
History
Satanism
Posted: 9/12/2009 7:47:10 AM

It's cool when you are 14 to 16 but if you're still doing it in your mid 20's, then it's just plain sad. Grow some balls, become an Atheist and be done with it.

No gods, no masters.
I agree that it's really only cool for teenagers, or for people who still live like they're teenage hippies, as I knew quite a few. But once you become an atheist, you're not getting rid of your gods and masters. You're simply replacing them with big business, the media, and whoever is backing the President.
 freetime2bme
Msg: 170
view profile
History
Satanism
Posted: 10/5/2009 1:37:46 PM
"I tend to see most people over the age of 25 that are still athiests as living with some type of stunted spiritual growth."

Logical spiritual growth I.E. question every thing and look for the truth has no real end but being/becoming an athiest. I tend to see people that believe in a god as just be cult members who can not think for them self or just scared little ****es that need to hold on to hope of life after death. What is so sad is when you try to talk facts with these meat heads, they always at some point just go back to god work is a mistery or some other BS. There is no logical reasoning in an idea of a god, talk about stunted spiritual growth. The more educated or the high ones IQ the more likely they are to be an athiest. High IQ and more education does not stunt anything. Blind fath in a lie does.
 StoneMagnetic
Msg: 173
Satanism
Posted: 1/21/2010 12:31:05 PM
First and foremost there are a few different types of satanism in the world. Today we have new groups who have emerged from the ashes of older, or past cults. The first is the ressurection of the Golden Dawn that is now practiced in California(last I heard, so dont quote me on it). For those of you who dont know who or what this is, it's a re-creation of the religion founded by the beast himself, Aliester Crowley.
The second of course is the Church of Satan that was founded by the late Anton Levay. If you are very familiar with these groups then you know exactly where Im going with this.
Modern Satanism is what I refer the C.O.S. as because they have no real set of rules, and of course they are a more modern practice of the religion. I have also heard it reffered to as the "rich mans' satanism". They say "Indulge" which can be alot of fun. My thoughts on it are, as long as you have something to believe in you'll be fine. As far as the term "Anti" goes, well, look at Marlyin Mansons past albums and his biography. He's claimed to be the anti-christ more than once. So have other cult leaders.
Levay on the other hand in the Satanic Bible said; "If there is such a thing as the devil, than I am doing his work."
I find this to be quite hysterical because if you look at old footage of films like The Devils Rain, or Devil Dudes, you'll see the black pope himself dressed up in a devil suit. Classic, yet cartoonish as always of Levay
Though like many groups you must understand, there are those few who are deemed "The Real Deal." My opinion is, these are the ones you have got to watch out for, for they can and will, kill and or harm you just for fun.
A classic example of this was shown in a film called Bless The Child with Kim Basinger and Rufus Swelle. (not sure if I spelled his name right.)
Rufus's character whos name I have forgotten shows the "Upscale" life of a satanist, while you see the rest of the cult as street urchins. In the film it depicts how far some people and groups are willing to go.
Enough of my ranting though, so...whatever you do, dont let others critisize or judge you based on your looks. It's what's on the inside that counts my friend.
 themadfiddler
Msg: 174
Satanism
Posted: 1/21/2010 12:46:57 PM

First and foremost there are a few different types of satanism in the world. Today we have new groups who have emerged from the ashes of older, or past cults. The first is the ressurection of the Golden Dawn that is now practiced in California(last I heard, so dont quote me on it). For those of you who dont know who or what this is, it's a re-creation of the religion founded by the beast himself, Aliester Crowley.

Sorry this is, respectfully, completely incorrect. And Aleister Crowley was only a member...and was in fact expelled for publishing their rituals. He did not create the Golden Dawn at all and later incorporated it's teachings into his own order. And Crowley was never a "Satanist" but enjoyed being referred to as one by the ignorant plebs because it added to his general infamy and played well into his complete scorn of traditional religion, especially traditional Christianity of the Victorian English variety and it's stuffy morals, to which many members of the Golden Dawn and similar orders subscribed.

If you really want to know about Aleister Crowley, the best people to read are Robert Anton Wilson and:

Author and Crowley expert Lon Milo Duquette wrote in his 1993 work The Magick of Aleister Crowley that:

"Crowley clothed many of his teachings in the thin veil of sensational titillation. By doing so he assured himself that one, his works would only be appreciated by the few individuals capable of doing so, and two, his works would continue to generate interest and be published by and for the benefit of both his admirers and his enemies long after death. He did not—I repeat not—perform or advocate human sacrifice. He was often guilty, however, of the crime of poor judgment. Like all of us, Crowley had many flaws and shortcomings. The greatest of those, in my opinion, was his inability to understand that everyone else in the world was not as educated and clever as he. It is clear, even in his earliest works, he often took fiendish delight in terrifying those who were either too lazy, too bigoted, or too slow-witted to understand him." [75]

A complex and often misunderstood figure but no more a Satanist than Billy Graham.
Show ALL Forums  > Religion  >