Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > Blackeyed Peas for New Years...How do you like yours      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 bizeebee
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Blackeyed Peas for New Years...How do you like yoursPage 2 of 2    (1, 2)
Born near Boston now living near Atlanta, GA.
I have enjoyed a traditional southern style New Years for 19 years.
Black Eyed Peas for luck, collard greens for money. With the economy in the toilet
I would not dare skip! In fact I may have collards twice today.
This year I made corn bread, pickled beets and fried okra too...yummy!
Happy New Year!
BZB
 rustygetsit
Msg: 18
Blackeyed Peas for New Years...How do you like yours
Posted: 1/2/2009 1:04:18 PM
This is the recipe I've done for years! Learned it when I was very young:
2 lbs. black eye peas
1 teaspoon of baking soda
1 pound of country ribs
dash of black pepper
1 tablespoon of sugar
1/4 teaspoon of red pepper
1 tablespoon teaspoon Lawry's seasoned salt
1 large onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic
Soak black eye peas overnight. Drain. Wash peas and cover with water and baking soda. Bring to a good boil. Drain. In heavy pot, brown country ribs, onion and garlic. When ribs are golden brown, add peas, salt, sugar, black and red pepper. Cover with hot water out of kettle. Bring to a fast boil. Reduce heat and simmer on low for 2 hours.

Sometimes I've taken leftovers and made next-day-fritters. In a food processor, process peas, garlic, salt & pepper. Add a few tablespoons of water or broth while continuing to process; enough water to get a smooth, thick puree. Preheat oven to 250ºF. In a large skillet, heat 2 to 3 inches oil & fry 1 tablespoon of the batter till its golden brown. Repeat till all the batter has been fried in this way. Keep in oven to keep hot. Serve piping hot, sprinkled with salt & lime juice.
Good Eatins' Rusty!
 Dovelett
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 12/29/2014 1:33:12 PM
This not black eyed peas but a New Years day meal with~

Happy New Year to all. Well.. Looks like going to a friends having in the ground whole lamb cooked. And next day
I am making a pork roast in the oven with~

Browned Pork loin roast all sides in little olive oil seasoned salt ñ pepper added sliced in angle pieces of kielbasa and cooked it in same roaster with. Pork in large roasting pan adding extremely well rinsed and drained store brought sauerkraut - 2 large onions ñ 2 celery ribs chopped and some celery leaves with 4 or 5 garlic diced - with some pearl barley maybe 1 /2 to move cups , coved with water in bake covered till extremely tender stir once in awhile and adjust seasoning ñ golf and stir turn meat at least once ...once in awhile, Star out at 425 °F. 10 minutes and turn down to 325 to 350 °F. Now covered. Bake slowly till meat falling apart will brown in color and will have the right consistency of broth . Serve over mashed taters or serve over or in bread or just munch away- when baked- the consistency is not real thick but not soupy. More like an alfredo sauce consistency a little thinner.

What are all you having??
 Molly Maude
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 12/30/2014 10:05:02 PM
I feel as though I just read a post from people on some planet in outer space ...
I've never tasted 97% of the foods you mentioned ... I have had mashed potatoes!
 bamagrl68
Msg: 22
Posted: 4/12/2015 4:43:40 PM
SAguy- I also save my ham bone from Christmas, I slow cook the beans with the ham bone over low heat, add some Zaterins, a great Cajun seasoning I love.
Cornbread is a necessity, I make mine spicy, dicing jalapeno into it, I also add cheese to the mix, usually a blend of pepper jack and American, five minutes before it's done, I top it with more cheese.
Serve with butter and chopped onions, yummmy!
 Dovelett
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 12/31/2015 2:37:28 PM
Happy New Year to all. Going out to friends ñ taking pork ñ kraut over mashed taters.
 junipermoon
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 1/2/2016 1:54:19 PM
here in pa dutch country, you do pork and sauerkraut. i don't happen to eat either of those. i had potatoes, salmon and strawberries. i'll keep you posted about my luck this year.
 skoalmate
Msg: 25
Posted: 2/26/2016 11:05:13 AM
Bay leaf, a few pieces of ham, and some long green beans mixed in.
 Lasthookbringsme
Msg: 26
Posted: 3/6/2016 9:46:57 AM
Chawli Usal -- this is one of dishes I make with them
Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > Blackeyed Peas for New Years...How do you like yours