Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ireland  > Hands up and all say 'aye' if you are Irish and believe that means we      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 su SIE Q
Msg: 251
view profile
History
Hands up and all say 'aye' if you are Irish and believe that means we are a unique race ..Page 11 of 14    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14)
so sad. it,s just another form ignorace,you know---- k k k shit all over again
 su SIE Q
Msg: 252
view profile
History
Hands up and all say 'aye' if you are Irish and believe that means we are a unique race ..
Posted: 2/5/2010 8:17:13 PM
But hey then again that,s what your looking for.''attention'' to push the envelope. We true in our own skins should mock no other.
 MaryJane_Dave
Msg: 253
Hands up and all say 'aye' if you are Irish and believe that means we are a unique race ..
Posted: 2/8/2010 12:19:14 PM
Are there even any first generation Irish here? or is it all just heritage?
 brendon courday
Msg: 254
Posted: 2/8/2010 6:58:33 PM
irish born irish bred and yeah us irish folk are better than all the rest
 1951Taurus
Msg: 255
Posted: 2/27/2010 6:16:26 PM
Uh...Of course we're a unique race...

Disclaimer...my family has been in the USA for several generations, and I do have to admit a small bit of English blood, damn small, and I have no idea how it got into our family tree...(probably something that happened in the middle of the night)

We have one hell of a big St Paddy's Day parade in San Francisco, and it seems like *everybody* wants to be Irish on March 17th...the black kids, the Mexican kids, and the Asian kids all dress up in green, but inside I'm both laighing and shaking my head. Theu have no idea what it is "to be Irish" and I sure don't want to be a black person on Martin Luther King day (A holiday in the USA), or Mexican on Cinco De Mayo...

Most folks here in the USA who are *not* Irish have zero idea that there is a green & orange Eire...My father was a Greenie, my mother was an Orangie...I was rsaised a greenie, but, I gave it up for Lent (oops)...and being a Celt is more than what is seen in a John Ford movie...

There was a time when it was common in the USA to see signs that said "Help Wanted, No Irish"...and this is no longer the case, and folks with Irish heritage make up a large chunk of the American population...and it's OK to be Irish again (as if we had a choice), and where I went to school, you were either Irish or Italian, and many of the Dominican nuns were Irish...so for some of us, we wouldn't know how else to be...nor would we want to be anything than what we are...just us...real people...straight shootin', no bullsh!t, whether working class or wealthy...

May years ago a friend married a gal from Ulster, and I know there's a fair amount of Irish ladies in Northern California, and I'll not give up until my last dying day, so find a lass that isn't afraid to look me square in my green eyes, and speak with honesty of what is in her heart...

Someday I'll travel to all the towns listed in my family tree, which goes back to some guy named William, who liked to Conquere places...and I've got dead relatives all over Nova Scotia...

PS...I don't drink alcohol, so, another stereotype shot down (but I make up for it by cussing a lot when needed)...

My best to all here reading this...

"And don't forget to boogie" ... (Canned Heat)
 1951Taurus
Msg: 256
Posted: 2/27/2010 6:32:50 PM

I don't suppose you noticed that it's says "Ireland" on this forum? It's not surprising you missed it since you've missed the fact you live in another country and are American, not Irish. It's not called the Crappy Poetry forum or the Cultural Schizophrenic’s forum.

Wow...I just stumbled across this forum...and the reality is that many Americans ARE Irish...they may not be Irish CITIZENS, but many families still have direct ties, and if any person wants to play the "You're not as Irish as I am" game, I'd dare them to say that to my face in person...

Then again someone who thinks they can eat a 2000 year old Jewish zombie after some hand waving by a sexually repressed male virgin is not someone who's going to be bothered by reality.

Well, this one is completely "over the top" .... I have no idea to whom you were addressing, but a post of this type reflects rather poorly on the person who wrote it...

Could the intelligent folks here please raise their hands...??? It's getting hard to find you amongst the rubbish...

Will the folks that think online forums are a valid form of therapy please log of NOW...???
 1951Taurus
Msg: 257
Posted: 2/27/2010 6:52:06 PM

DaVincibro said: Religious simpletons can only interpert a complex world in a simpletons way: A or B, Conservative or Liberal, Black or White.
This part of the board is not called the American Forum. Why don't you go on home and figure out what continent you live on.

Hummmm "DaVincibro" sure doesn't sound like an Irish name to me...!!!

Please tell us what part of Ireland you live in...???

So, you're an ethnic mutt, huh...?? (welcome to reality)

You sure ain't no verbal DaVinci, and you certainly are not my "bro"...

As a troll you sure do get your panties in a knot real easily...

To much beer...? Are you old enough to drink (legally)...???

Self appointed saviours are at best misguided, ego tripping, repressed idiots whose IQ is lower than room temperature...and "DaVincibro", you illustrate this everytime you open your mouth and start whining like a neglected puppy...
 Shane__
Msg: 258
Posted: 2/28/2010 2:18:16 AM
Race is an outdated concept. Humans, al humans have travelled far a wide from the dawn of their existence, nationhood however has only existed for a few hundred years and along with it the notion of being Irish.

So no there is no Irish race, there is however a shared culture which in the past has Norman, Celtic and Viking influences to name but a few. More recently globalisation has meant America has a huge impact on how we perceive and present ourselves.

Nationhood is only one stage in a long history of how humans have chosen to present themselves, and if history has taught us anything it won't last forever.

On a grand scale can anyone tell me where someone stops being white and starts being asian? Or where the border lies between white and black? This is why ideas of race do not work.
 BUDDYFORU
Msg: 259
Posted: 3/2/2010 5:35:33 PM
Being born to predominatly I rish parents in the uk and being n 35 before visiting the
auld country I had a profound feeling of timeless ness travelling around kerry
I will always think of it as a very spiritual place.
Oh and the Irish sense of humour PRICLESS
 asarlai
Msg: 260
Posted: 3/7/2010 6:10:26 AM
I like this thread, even though its sad that we have to make a point of stating our uniqueness! But its things like this that will help ourselves pull ourselves out of the lower-class mentality we have been subjected to over the last 1000years.
It's time this yolk was rejected so we can get on with simply being the amazing people we are!
And we are the IRISH NATION!!! Right now, today!
So please affirm this FACT to yourself right now, STAND UP AND SAY "I AM A PART OF THE IRISH NATION"
Lets heal these wounds, beginning with ourselves! This may sound silly but tis an important thing to do, so everyone now, say it again! If you want, go up on top of a mountain and shout it out loud! And you will see there's a reason to be proud!!!!!
 robbie_x
Msg: 261
Posted: 3/7/2010 10:33:52 AM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Have you stop taking your medicine assi?
 asarlai
Msg: 262
Posted: 3/7/2010 11:12:23 AM
Yes I stopped taking my medicine! It was making me a dim witted sarcastic ****! Whats your excuse?
I'm a Bules Brother dude, and I'm on a mission! My life has a deeper meaning than your average Joe. It does'nt make me better than anyone else! It just means I have things to do before I shake off this mortal coil.
And before you say it bud, dont bother, I'm way ahead of you!
Get it, got it, good!
 asarlai
Msg: 263
Posted: 3/7/2010 11:26:14 AM
Look, we have a song here called "a nation once again"! And then theres the slogan, "our day will come". I maintain that this way of looking at things perpetuates a constant cycle of wish fulfillment. It might be tomorrow, tomorrow, tomorrow!
And I wrote this saying, "its gotta be said, if your able to say, I've lived my life to the full today.
Nobody stops and says, how do we change it now? But I think "tomorrow my bollox"!
And dont get me started on the English.
 robbie_x
Msg: 264
Posted: 3/7/2010 11:37:47 AM
Well said buddy......I think! Hey I like a man who speaks his mind although what language your using eludes me, is it a mixture of ancient gibberish and modern bollhox? And why not get started on the English seems to me you Irish can never stop getting started on the English!
 asarlai
Msg: 265
Posted: 3/7/2010 12:06:20 PM
Thats ok lad! I did'nt think you would understand! I lived among the English for 4years.
Its just in our nature as Irish to try to help a simpleton along. I tried to use terms you could read but I guess I've been away from your island for so long I forgot what a load of dumb ****s you really are. Ho, ho, ho!
 robbie_x
Msg: 266
Posted: 3/7/2010 12:26:38 PM
Haha really enjoying this you're such a wag but the father christmas impression at the end cuts no ice with me hmmmm...... why not attempt an impression of two brain cells interacting one with another, that sounds like fun!
 asarlai
Msg: 267
Posted: 3/7/2010 12:40:21 PM
Again I forgot who I'm talking to, or I would have used Ha, ha, ha! Sorry I confused you, again! And why would I attempt an impression of two brain cells interacting, I'm not english! Dam, I must try to remember my days in england. OK, I will type this slowly for you! We Irish dont need to pretend that we have more than one brain cell because unlike the english we are able to do our work for ourselves, and are able to talk rather than kill.
Its just we have a hard time explaining stuff to you guys you are so ****ing dumb! Do you understand!
 robbie_x
Msg: 268
Posted: 3/7/2010 12:51:38 PM
Forgot who you're talking to huh, I can see those two brain cells are being overworked so I'll try and keep this like you - short and simple.......don't want to overload those brain cells so more tomorrow!
 asarlai
Msg: 269
 1951Taurus
Msg: 270
Posted: 3/23/2010 12:15:03 AM
This exchange is *almost* entertaining...

I think all the ladies have been scared off by this bickering...
 aspersions
Msg: 271
view profile
History
Posted: 3/24/2010 2:23:36 PM
Yeah, i agree. All this hooplah trying to convince ourselves we're something special is only codding ourselves. Self-delusion. Previous generations of Irish were much more admirable than the current crop of fools. Put it this way: if you're under 25, you're probably a spoilt fool by default, more than likely still living in your own grubby mess under daddy's roof. You never learned manners that daddy tried to teach you. Guess why? Coz daddy's a num-nutted fool who's p.ussy whipped by his own daughter, running around like a horny teenager trying to satisfy her every whim, forking over wads of cash in the process. You can't cook, so you're buying cheap takeaway or fast-food junk and you're getting fat to medicate the internal distress you feel at not being of any value to Irish, or the global society. Just maybe a few like-minded idiots who cackle like witches with you at your local watering hole.
So you eat your panini thinking that it's the height of sophistication. But you find out that you're actually not that sophisticated when you get over to the country that invented paninis, and they just laugh at you and take all your money.
It's a global world nowadays, and parochial currency will only get you so far. Namely, around your decrepit parish. You need real character to make it on the world stage, and being mannerly and polite is a good place to start.
 aspersions
Msg: 272
view profile
History
Posted: 3/25/2010 11:08:06 AM

So no there is no Irish race, there is however a shared culture which in the past has Norman, Celtic and Viking influences to name but a few. More recently globalisation has meant America has a huge impact on how we perceive and present ourselves.

You're dead right-Ireland is basically America now. All these foolish boggers going around talking as if they're from California. You can travel anywhere in the world, and a lot of the novelty is already taken away, because we have all the exact same shops and fast-food restaurants here. Everyone buzzing around with their stupid i-phones. Ireland is happy to let it's character go down the tubes
 shefashion
Msg: 273
Posted: 3/25/2010 2:42:14 PM
I'm half Irish and proud to be!
 aspersions
Msg: 274
view profile
History
Posted: 3/25/2010 5:59:08 PM

I'm half Irish and proud to be

You're dead right to be. I just want the current caretakers of the country to keep it worthy of your pride. In all fairness, the soccer team were very admirable, and deserved. to have gotten the chance to represent Ireland in the World Cup in June.

Just as an interesting aside, I'm not sure about this word 'aye' though; only a very small percentage of Irish people say that word. I'm sure it's been relegated to stage Irish films like Darby O Gill and the Little People. I dunno, maybe that's a sign of the decline too. Scottish people say it more, presumably, or maybe, the nordies.
 silverfix
Msg: 275
Posted: 3/25/2010 6:18:32 PM
'Aye' is an English word and comes from Norse.

But for the purposes of this thread's title it's quite correct to use.

It's either an 'Aye' or 'Nay' response when asked to take a vote using a show of hands generally - so to take issue with the use of the word 'Aye' is bloody stupid and quite pathetic.
Show ALL Forums  > Ireland  > Hands up and all say 'aye' if you are Irish and believe that means we are a unique race ..