Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ireland  > Hands up and all say 'aye' if you are Irish and believe that means we      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Miss Grundy
Msg: 26
Hands up and all say 'aye' if you are Irish and believe that means we are a unique race ..Page 2 of 14    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14)
^^^^ haha absolutely !!

Wrong attitude there missus.

Mixed race is the way to go, let's continue to spread those Irish genes far and wide like we've being doing for centuries....soon the world's populace may actually become a lot better looking and all will have a sense of humour.
 outstanding4u
Msg: 27
Hands up and all say 'aye' if you are Irish and believe that means we are a unique race ..
Posted: 1/19/2009 7:49:02 PM
I was over in Poland recently (Polish food still digesting in stomach) and a few of the Irish lads over there told me something that I did not believe......so I went and had a look myself, true enough, signs outside SOME of their building sites saying "No Irish".....
 Miss Grundy
Msg: 28
Hands up and all say 'aye' if you are Irish and believe that means we are a unique race ..
Posted: 1/20/2009 4:39:23 PM
^^^

Hmmmm...so, Irish people are already emigrating to Poland looking for work as labourers on building sites there ?

It makes sense that they would do if the work is there to be honest but I really truly do not believe that what you say is true, even though it could possibly be true given the flack Polish people who came here for work must have received from their fellow Irish labourers for working for less etc. but nah...I can't believe it at all.
 ~Pedro Sanchez~
Msg: 29
Posted: 1/25/2009 3:31:01 PM
Mixed race is the way to go, let's continue to spread those Irish genes far and wide like we've being doing for centuries....soon the world's populace may actually become a lot better looking and all will have a sense of humour.

'aye! That explains a bit about me then.....muchos gracias!
 Galwegian
Msg: 30
Posted: 1/25/2009 5:23:11 PM
Whats the Vaticans official line on racism these days anyway? Or is it just the gays I'm supposed to be against?
 beesinqueues
Msg: 31
Posted: 1/28/2009 1:48:40 PM
My personal experience is that the "Irish Sense of Humor " is biting, cruel, self-destructive & passive-aggressive.
On the one hand, it is complex and an acquired taste.
On the other hand, it's just vile and makes everybody feel bad.
 Miss Grundy
Msg: 32
Posted: 1/28/2009 4:34:26 PM
^^^^ bull..

Irish humour at worst is self-effacing which does nothing to damage the person hearing it unless you are a sap who can't handle openness and honesty but if you are a person who has grown up with getting used to slagging and understanding that it means you are being afforded attention because people want you to be aware of your failings in a humorous way then you will be grand.

Begrudgery is a pain in the backside having to witness ..but then again ..you, as an Irish man/woman would give as good as you get if you have the balls and self-recognition which is a requirement to be a fully fledged person of the world...as in a person who doesn't allow criticism to dictate how you choose to live your life...we all know that to be Irish means we follow the path of true rebellion..

We might put on the show of expecting people to conform to our expectations but we'd much rather be delirrared and excirrrared by a mad yoke ..who tells us to go and shite and get over ourselves etc.

My personal experience is that the "Irish Sense of Humor " is biting, cruel, self-destructive & passive-aggressive.

Try and walk a mile in mine and every other Irish person's shoes please before condemning us..and I have to say we are a helluva lot funnier than other nationalities.

and quite honestly I would enjoy hearing how you would feel as a member of a nation which was enslaved, tortured and abused yet still managed to retain their identity against all odds and continue to smile regardless.
 Box_Turtle
Msg: 33
Posted: 1/31/2009 11:51:32 PM
Well, you can take the Irish out of Ireland but you will never take Ireland out of the Irish. The two times i've visited Ireland I have always been treated with hospitality and warmth. Then again it might have been because i'm an irish yank but a lot of time other visitors would ask me for directions when they saw me on the street. I look forward when i can return again.
 Box_Turtle
Msg: 34
Posted: 1/31/2009 11:55:49 PM
As far as irish humor I like to throw things out there to make you go mad. you have to love the irish.
 SmilingSalmon
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 2/1/2009 12:38:43 AM
Well, I have never lived in Ireland, but I can certainly understand what Miss Grundy is saying about being unique, in fact, I pretty much said the same things in another thread.

I cannot say I am for certain personally acquainted with the Irish sense of humor because again, I have nver lived there and while I have known many Irish, there was never a strong daily friendship so that I can be sure I know what Miss Grundy is getting at. With that said, I can say that in my family we have a sense of humor, especially myself, along with many members that have now passed, that no one ever seems to get. Could it be the same? I have no idea. Though Irish roots are strong in my family, so I guess it is possible.

To the poster that said Irish is not a race. Of course it is AND it is a nationality.

EDIT: I did not read this 2nd page before posting. After reading it, I am thinking it is very likely true that I have inherited the Irish sense of humor even though I have never set foot in Ireland. I am at times quite self-effacing, which people never get and if they did wouldn't find it humorus. I can, do and strongly believe in making humor out of the absolute straight truth. Unfortunately, most people cannot see the truth, so reaching for humor in it is impossible. No matter what hell I have gone through, i will always come out smiling with a good outlook, but you better damn well give me the space for and expect me to be able to rant madly about the ugly unfair truth of it before I get back to the smile. I WILL make lemonade from the lemons I am handed.
 Thatguy67
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Posted: 2/1/2009 12:53:40 AM

Hands up and all say 'aye'

Aye!
 somel
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 2/1/2009 12:35:18 PM
Hi everyone....

First everyone who comes here deal with you, share you're day to day lives only can say one thing to you as a people "aye".

Irish are by nature a warm and kind people with a great hospitality, a bit like us (i'm portuguese).

Sometimes Irish seems to others foreigners as racists, altough I believe this is not the case, I do think they have some anger (not hatre) for those that exploit irish economy, that come here basically for abuse the , now for those like me that come here to help Ireland, that pay their Prsi and Tax and give more to the irish economy that we receive, we feel welcomed and cared about, and is this kindness as a people that gives the proper value what makes you , for me, Special.

I felt in Love for you as a people, in a place i can call home....

Thanks Irish PPL.
 Elliek2
Msg: 38
Posted: 2/3/2009 12:14:16 PM
I'm not straight off the island. Several generations removed, with a smidge of other stuff mixed in. Just wanted to say hello and thanks for the post. Interesting read. Ellie
 Gaz_J
Msg: 39
Posted: 2/3/2009 12:36:34 PM

Irish humour at worst is self-effacing which does nothing to damage the person hearing it unless you are a sap who can't handle openness and honesty but if you are a person who has grown up with getting used to slagging and understanding that it means you are being afforded attention because people want you to be aware of your failings in a humorous way then you will be grand.

Begrudgery is a pain in the backside having to witness ..but then again ..you, as an Irish man/woman would give as good as you get if you have the balls and self-recognition which is a requirement to be a fully fledged person of the world...as in a person who doesn't allow criticism to dictate how you choose to live your life...we all know that to be Irish means we follow the path of true rebellion..

We might put on the show of expecting people to conform to our expectations but we'd much rather be delirrared and excirrrared by a mad yoke ..who tells us to go and shite and get over ourselves etc.

Try and walk a mile in mine and every other Irish person's shoes please before condemning us..and I have to say we are a helluva lot funnier than other nationalities.

and quite honestly I would enjoy hearing how you would feel as a member of a nation which was enslaved, tortured and abused yet still managed to retain their identity against all odds and continue to smile regardless.

What she said. ^^

"Slagging" is something most people not from Ireland can never get their heads around. I had to stop a fight in a bar in Spain (Madrid) one night. There was myself and a crowd of my friends in, and then a crowd of Dublin fellas came in and the craic and the banter was great, slagging the fook out of each other all night. Then a group of locals (who couldn't actually speak English or understand a word we were saying) overheard our "fight" and decided to intervene. Of course we all thought they were having a bit of craic too but they were deadly serious and it all ended up getting pretty nasty. Being the only one there who could speak Spanish, I had to try to explain to them that us two seperate groups of Irish guys were not fighting - we were in fact having a bit of craic. Believe me - this is not an easy conception to explain to someone who has just stood and watched our two different groups hurl insults and profanities at each other all night!!!

On a side note:

One other time I was in Madrid I was at the cash machine with a friend, when an elderly, extremely drunk, yet impeccably dressed man staggered up to me and shouted: "Estadounidense!" at me in a very threatening manner! (Sorry, that means "American" in Spanish.) I said "No, no, no," carried on my transaction at the ATM and also the conversation with me friend. "Inglés?" He then shouted, waving his finger menacingly in my face! (Ingles is "English.") I told him "No, I am from Ireland..."

At which point he hugged and kissed my friend and I, and proceeded to sing at the top of his lungs in the middle of Madrid "I love you baby, if it's quite alright I love you baby...!"

Still makes me laugh
 Miss Grundy
Msg: 40
Posted: 2/3/2009 2:02:15 PM
Thanks for the posts reaffirming what I said and my experiences as an Irish person...I did feel a bit guilty for being so 'harsh' with beesinqueues but I have a major aversion to the wimps of society and their constant search for reasons to complain and act like victims - I swear if we all bent over backwards and changed who we are to make them happy they'd be even more miserable.
 benagain
Msg: 41
Posted: 2/4/2009 6:24:23 AM
aye im irish and special sure didnt they give me my own yellow bus 2 go 2 school every day on . hav a nice day all tc.
 Nice2eatU
Msg: 42
Posted: 2/4/2009 11:40:30 AM
[QUOTE]Saint Kevin who discovered North America and ended up establishing an Irish enclave in Nova Scotia - a part of the world where people still speak a form of Gaeilge and love their Irishness.[/QUOTE]

I think you may have your facts a bit mixed up about Saint Kevin discovering NA, I've never even heard of him.
Maybe you're mixing it up with Newfoundland, which is the most Irish place outside of Ireland. If you were to visit some of the rural towns and fishing villages, you'd swear you were in the Irish country side.
Nova Scotia(New Scotland) was founded by Sir William Alexander of Scotland, but it's been settled by the French, English, Scottish and Irish. Cape Breton Island is really the only place in Nova Scotia where they still teach Gaelic in schools , but there are a handful of small towns where some folks still speak it.
 MalaSam
Msg: 43
Posted: 2/4/2009 11:50:35 AM
St Kevin?

I thought it was St Brendan, Legend (maybe truth) has it that he discovered America hundreds of years befor Columbus. And there is a story about him standing on a whale thinking it was an Island.
 Gaelgoir
Msg: 44
Posted: 2/4/2009 12:19:15 PM
The Vikings were there even before St Brendan, Im sure they did their fair share of pillaging before Colombus came along and destroyed the place!

Ive relations in Newfoundland, Most people there have a thick Waterford/Wexford accent its so unique!
 Thatguy67
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Posted: 2/4/2009 3:52:28 PM
Actually St Brendan's supposed voyage preceded the Norse excursion by at least 400 years.
 beesinqueues
Msg: 46
Posted: 2/11/2009 2:11:02 PM
I love how you all know your history.
I am half Irish, my mom’s folks coming over to work on the NY railroad. The family did well, raised kids, put a state senator in Washington. Immigrants are absolutely the bedrock of America! And the Irish are all over this land.
When you're raised by drinking, dysfunctional people and, later, figure out what you really need in life to retain optimism & self-respect, then meet a beautiful Irishman who drags you back down into the ashes... well, that's where my comments about Irish Humor being vile were coming from.
I guess.
But, fact is, if one has to degrade someone else – on the personal level - to have fun, it’s no good. If one has to degrade ONESELF for humor it’s also no good! Let’s build up, not break down! (I feel I sound like a preacher.)
We all joke about “types” (blonde jokes, Texas A&M jokes, black jokes) because the characteristics really apply! everybody can relate! and the subjects of the jokes have chosen to be like that stereotype… But, please, the drunken Irishman shtick, for one, is just hurtful.
 Average White Male
Msg: 47
Posted: 2/12/2009 4:02:42 AM
"I did feel a bit guilty for being so 'harsh' with beesinqueues but I have a major aversion to the wimps of society and their constant search for reasons to complain and act like victims.'

I came into these forums out of curisoity and with the hope that this would be a nice way to get to know the POF community a little better. I'm by no means a newcomer to internet forums and fully understand the problems with communication that can arise as a result of such a restrictive medium. I'm also more than familiar with the rough and tumble that can arise as a result of a disagreement or misunderstanding. However...

I am genuinely shocked by this place. Almost every thread I visited in the 'Ireland' section was full of bile, rampant sexism, bullying, and bitterness. I even came across one thread that was just plain racist.

The above quote from Ms Grundy sums up my experience here perfectly. There is simply nothing here but nastiness and blatant lack of respect.

AWM
 itsmeaaron
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Posted: 2/12/2009 7:55:02 AM
well i'm irish/scottish does that count?
 Miss Grundy
Msg: 49
Posted: 2/12/2009 8:51:36 AM

I am genuinely shocked by this place. Almost every thread I visited in the 'Ireland' section was full of bile, rampant sexism, bullying, and bitterness. I even came across one thread that was just plain racist.

The above quote from Ms Grundy sums up my experience here perfectly. There is simply nothing here but nastiness and blatant lack of respect.

Genuinely shocked ?

come off it please.

Perhaps you are just a sensitive soul, even beesinqueues response to what I posted seemed to suggest that she wasn't taking what I wrote too much to heart.

I think if you read all of the threads on these forums you would have come across a lot of posts stating that the threads were very enjoyable and gave numerous people much to laugh about so you are essentially on your own with your thoughts.

My saying I have an aversion to people who play the victim describes your experience of reading these forums...I really doubt that very much.

If you see examples of posts and threads full of bile, rampant sexism, bullying and bitterness why not have your say on those threads and in response to those posts so we can see what you are talking about - generalising is not good enough for me, put your money where your mouth is and make your feelings known on the appropriate threads instead of hijacking this one and going off topic with your whinge.

VVVV haha...I just refuse to accept that people are being genuine when it's clear that what they've written and said doesn't actually make sense if they actually think about what they are saying...so I question them in turn or let them know that what they've said couldn't be or isn't in fact the truth....when you really think about it, in the hopes that they will then think about what they've said and return justifying what they originally said or actually giving a proper honest response instead of a big fat moaning minnie one.
 MalaSam
Msg: 50
Posted: 2/12/2009 8:59:43 AM
Grudy do you have a trophy case in your house full of awards from debating.....I have a picture in my head, with loads of trophies, medals and rosettes, and pictures of you with a big smiley head on ya, with your opposition cowering at your feet
Show ALL Forums  > Ireland  > Hands up and all say 'aye' if you are Irish and believe that means we are a unique race ..