Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Single Parents  > Why are there so many young single mothers aged 18-22?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 bigben1731
Msg: 53
Why are there so many young single mothers aged 18-22?Page 2 of 35    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35)
well i can see jaxi but to be honest you have to ask and wonder why they have kid by that age well they have that life i guess they choose that way but none told them to get knocked up at that age
 SweetnessInFlorida
Msg: 54
Why are there so many young single mothers aged 18-22?
Posted: 2/5/2009 10:44:39 PM
^^^Lmao, yes they do i tended bar in one. The lithe tan barbie-type blondes pulled in over a a grand a night easy. Moreso if they could get real acrobatic and shimmy up to the ceiling and back down on the pole. I learned some good moves to (try on my love in private), watching those girls, AND banked at the same time. I miss those days.
Working with crazy strippers was interesting.
 barbee1970
Msg: 59
Posted: 2/8/2009 4:03:59 PM
So many young men are not held accountable for what they do. Alot of them won't step up to the plate and take responsibility for the children.

I still see too many men in their 30s and 40s at home with their mommy and mommy still spoon feeding(supporting) them.
 NotInnocent
Msg: 63
Posted: 2/9/2009 6:56:23 AM
Ok.. OP.. are you ready.. this is a tough one..

We had sex.. to young.. and didn't take proper precautions or had it not work, or thought we were in love, got married to young and it didn't work out.

I know that's a lot to understand.. Do you need a break now???

Sheesh...
 worldclassman
Msg: 65
Posted: 2/11/2009 5:41:38 PM
Good old fashioned family values have been tossed out the window in the past few decades. That is why we have the problems we have today.
 want to travel
Msg: 67
view profile
History
Posted: 2/13/2009 10:02:45 AM
for a lot of reasons, some women mature more rapidly then boys, so i think some younger women are ready to have children, and make the mistake of choosing a a boy to get pregnant with.....maybe in the hopes of the boy growing up, this is where it goes wrong, the boys run for the hills, do not live up to there responsabilities and the young woman is left with a dead beat dad
 blilly82
Msg: 68
Posted: 2/13/2009 3:27:14 PM
Well, i am a 26 yr old with a 2 1/2 yr old son. Things happen and when you're caught up in the moment, you may not sometimes think about what could happen. I did and stopped alot of times, but it took one time not to think about what could happen to me. now i am a single mom. that's something i have to deal with and enjoy what i have. i love my son and wouldn't trade him for anything in this world. not even a million dollars.

sometimes young girls may think that the father is going to stand there by their side. well, not too many do. my sons father did the same thing. when i was 8 months pregnant he told me in my kitchen that we were not together, and probably not ever going to be together.

you can't down someone for having a child at a young age. instead people need to tell them that they are still a good person.
 Artimesia1
Msg: 69
Posted: 2/13/2009 9:39:07 PM
Marknbaltimore
I had to comment on what you said. You are a true gentleman and must be a great Dad. I hope you find someone wonderful in your life. You certainly deserve it!
 OkieRebel1980
Msg: 74
Posted: 2/15/2009 1:14:08 PM
First of all. Your premise of 'old fashioned views' is totally wrong. My own mother was married and pregnant at 17. That was in 1964. My grandmother on my fathers side had her first child at 20, again married and settled. On my mothers side, it was 16; also married and settled. Both my grandmothers stayed married to the same man their entire lives. My mother divorced that man and married my own father ten years later. It has long been common for women to bear children at a 'young' age. The belief that people should wait until their late twenties or early thirties is a "new-fashioned belief". What bothers me, similar to you, is the alarming number that have never been married that are mothers; especially when it's plain from the pictures that multiple fathers are involved. Seems to me that they haven't figured out what causes that situation. Divorce and un-wed sexual relationships are the culprits to your quandry. Barring those situations, they wouldn't be on here at all!
 Boo1988
Msg: 78
view profile
History
Posted: 2/16/2009 3:29:48 PM
Thankyou, somone that is actually making sense! I'm 20 and single and i do a god damn good job at raising my son! I dont screw the system and i work extremely hard! I didnt ask to be put in this situation but i wouldn't change it for the world! Yes it's extremely hard but its worth it.
 SouthernGuy1960
Msg: 79
Posted: 2/16/2009 3:33:59 PM
boo1988; I hope you do Not use curse words in front of your son. Thats not what I would consider a good job. JMO
 mizz_megan
Msg: 80
Posted: 2/17/2009 10:30:26 AM
okay you cant deny you had sex young
if we get pregnant would you like us to abort it?
because to me im pretty sure my child is better off with me then dead or with another family thanks
 Confident247
Msg: 81
Posted: 2/17/2009 2:36:55 PM
OP,

*Some women at a early age want a kid so some get pregnant on purpose
*Some men refuse to use condoms and to women will let them
*Some men and women believe if he pull out in time then they want get pregnant
*Some women do not take birth control
*Some women tell men they're on birth control even though they are not
*Some people do not put the condom on right so it increases the chances of it breaking
*Some men lie about putting on a condom
*Some condoms are manufactured wrong
*Some condoms ware out because they are old or left in the hot glove department of the car
*Some are couples that want to have a baby
 lonesole
Msg: 82
Posted: 2/17/2009 7:06:04 PM
Well I had my daughter a month after my 19th birthday and there were a few reasons for that. First of all I was in a comited long term relationship and have always been mature for my age. Abortion was never something I could even think about and neither was adoption. But I do think you are making way too big a deal of it because considering the divorce rate half of us would probably end up being single moms just at a different age
 pyrogurl5642
Msg: 83
Posted: 2/17/2009 8:45:45 PM
Well I guess I will tell you a little about me before I answer this question. I was 16 when I got pregnant and 17 when I had my son. I finished High school, I am now going to school full time and working full time to give my son the best life possible. He may not have everything he wants, but he has everything he needs. Very true, it does take two people to make a baby, and also true many girls choose to keep the baby with the hope that the guy will stick around. My sons dad has nothing to do with his son, and that is for the best. He was an abusive guy, which I would never want my son around. But on your point about so many single moms being content with being a mother at a young age. I become a mother at a young age, I made the choice to have sex, so I would never of had an abortion, but I didn't give him up for adoption. I kept him and because of having him, I grew up very fast. I didn't get to be a teenager but, I would never trade him for the world. So I guess the point I am trying to make is, most of these single mothers never planned to be mothers at a young age, but looking into the eyes of that perfect little child, makes everything seem ok. I am in no way saying that being a single mother is easy, being a married couple with kids is hard. Being a teenager is hard enough as it is, let alone adding a kid to the mix. Kids should not being having kids, but it happens and it is going to continue to happen. Being a single mother myself, I am perfectly happy being a single mother of a 3 yr old at 20 yrs old, it has its moments but he brings joy to my life everyday. Which is why I am perfectly content being a mother at such a young age. It is not like I can go back in time and change, nor would I ever want to. I am a stronger person today because of my choices and my son doesn't not suffer due to my choice.
 ~Milenko~
Msg: 84
Posted: 2/18/2009 3:06:53 PM
My mother had her children when she was 20 and was married. My parents divorced 20 years later. It isnt uncommon now days, but i do wonder about the uh 14-17 yr old girls that are single mothers. Im 20, soon to be 21, i had my daughter when i was 19. It was my choice to keep her, and yes i am very content with it. Of course i would have rather waited until i was done school, but life does have a tendency once in a while to throw a curve ball lol.

I have been chasitised since i was pregnant for making my choice. Especially on this site i have, but i am keeping my head up. Because as i have read in previous posts, marriage, isnt that common anymore, and divorce is very common, and so is young mothers. Times have changed. Im not going to say that it is a good change, but i can only speak for myself.

Before i got pregnant i was heading in the wrong direction in life, was with the wrong guy that was abusive. Once i found out i was pregnant i stopped everything. Even broke up with the father. I have made my best effort into giving my daughter a better life then what i had. And i will continue to do so.

In my towns in Alberta Canada, there has been a big number in babybooms, literally almost every girl i went to highschool with now has or having a child. ( i swear its the water) lmao.

I will admitt some mothers i know my age, arent or werent ready for a child, because they are still out partying all the time, every day of the weekend starting from thursday to saturday night. I go out as well, but not nearly as much, once a week, even to go to the movies.

Sometimes i sit and think that really children should wait till your older and more mature, because in your early 20's your jsut expierencing life. But sometimes, women wait to long, my aunt waited way to long, she is now in her 40's and cant have children.

So really i dont think there is a right age to have children.
Posted: 2/24/2009 7:50:50 AM
I had my daughter at 19, my then g/f was 17. We stayed together, married, had a second kid, and then she left me for another guy. We just had sex young. That's all. Everyone wants to fall in love at that age and everyone wants to experience all that love has to offer. Or they just like sex. Either of those plus a desire to be a mom and/or not believing in abortion sums it up IMO.
 Samurai41
Msg: 90
view profile
History
Posted: 2/24/2009 10:24:27 AM
because birth control is difficult to use?

no??

uh, because young people are irresponsible?

yep, thats it
 rubydollie2006
Msg: 91
Posted: 2/24/2009 12:22:15 PM
some of us single mothers cant keep a job because daycare is too much and our families wont help us. our families disown us because we got pregnant at a young age... i have a 2 year old son that i love dearly and his father wont step up... i have no choice but to live on state aid.. ive tried going to school and to keep a full-time job....but its hard with noone there to help me with my son... i have had a man in my life to help me out with my son but he left.. try walking in our shoes this day in age and see if you can make it.. without a man or without a degree at least i have my high school diploma..
 freetime2bme
Msg: 92
view profile
History
Posted: 2/24/2009 12:32:33 PM
"some of us single mothers cant keep a job because daycare is too much and our families wont help us. our families disown us because we got pregnant at a young age... i have a 2 year old son that i love dearly and his father wont step up... i have no choice but to live on state aid.. ive tried going to school and to keep a full-time job....but its hard with noone there to help me with my son... i have had a man in my life to help me out with my son but he left.. try walking in our shoes this day in age and see if you can make it.. without a man or without a degree at least i have my high school diploma.."

Would you like some cheese to go with that wine? How about, work from home, work at a day care facility or at least take on line classes at home instead of being on POF while on state help! O I forgot you need a man or a degree.
 WalkingInLondon
Msg: 96
Posted: 2/26/2009 4:20:20 PM
Just wht the heck is wrong with making the decision to have a child during your peak child-bearing years? I was married and owned my own business while attending college full time, when we decided to have a child. I was 20 when she was born, and it was the best thing that ever happened to me. In fact, she is the only good thing to come out of that marriage. I adore my child, I do not live off of the system, I am educated....yes, grasp the concept that you can get a good education while being a mother....Oh my God what an amazing thing!!!!!
So OP, get off of your high horse, and have some respect for the women who don't take the easy way out, single moms have the option to abort, so the ones who have the children are the ones who (most of the time) are being responsible and doing their best to make it in this world. If you don't want to date someone young with a child, then put it in your profile. But don't paint all young mothers with the same brush here...some of us made the CHOICE to have our children young...and we don't regret it.
 THEGREEKONE
Msg: 97
Posted: 2/27/2009 2:06:58 AM
Look, people make mistakes in a relationship. However, the children are not the mistake it was who they were involved with. Chilrdren are the most amazing and incredible and rewarrding things that can be experience in life.

I truly see it as a blessing instead of an issue. The reason being is that they have matured enough to figured out that there is no reason to be miserable for the rest of your life by staying in a relationship with someone who there is no love in their heart for. Buuts only stay because of the child or children.

Everyone deserves to be happy. Just because they may have a child does not make them anydifferenc that anyone else on this site.

In my opinion, it shows a great deal of intestinal fortitude and emotional strength not to mention they are comfortable in thier own skin with who they are and have the ability to stand up for themselves amd make a decision that is a major decision to leave the security.

So many people stay together for the wrong reason, Children, Jobs, Financing Inheritance. The list could go on forever. I commend any woman and or man that takes control of his or her life and musters the strength to walk awasy

I personally applaud them for the bravery to go out on their own and make a life fior themselves Not all men are cut out be be parents. Face it most men are not capable of what is needed to be a father after they climb to z bed with her and dont seem to care of the consequence of what has been done. It's most men were are mindless child whos hope to me a like children who arnt concerned about tomorrow.

I have always respected the singke mom.
 whatsallthis
Msg: 98
Posted: 2/27/2009 2:36:07 AM
Because in their infinite wisdom, the fundamentalist scream "abstinence" (something they can't do themselves), and then stick their heads in the sand and pretend teens won't have sex. Encouraging these teens to have safe sex seems a better idea, but then, that is the same thing as encouraging them to have sex period, isn’t it?

I wish I could take their ( the super religious hypocrites) stupidity and flog them with it.
 a1970boy
Msg: 101
Posted: 2/28/2009 11:05:37 PM
If more people had them, there would be less of us supporting them. Because, let's face it, most single mothers in that age bracket do not hold full-time jobs and live off the system. Part of it is a learned behavior and what kind of morals kids grow up with.

Sooooooo glad a lady said this instead of me! You hit the nail on the head!
 _Alisha_
Msg: 103
Posted: 3/1/2009 3:54:03 PM
I don't want to say accidents happen because I don't belive children are accidents but often times they're unplanned and unfortunately not everyone at that age is mature enough to step up to the plate and man up to their responsibilities.
Show ALL Forums  > Single Parents  > Why are there so many young single mothers aged 18-22?