Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Single Parents  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 1234deleted1234
Msg: 108
Why are there so many young single mothers aged 18-22?Page 4 of 35    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35)
:^^^^ did I say EVERY?
NO, I don't think I did!

Sex education is good...the revised education the Clinton administration had ENCOURAGED exploration and experimentation though. They also started teaching much younger children....what they were too sport sighted to see though was that they piqued the children's interest prematurely...they didn't have the maturity to also get the SAFETY message!

That generation has seen an increase in pregnancy, STD's, homosexuality and a marked decrease in the age of first sexual contact.
 Tealwood
Msg: 109
Why are there so many young single mothers aged 18-22?
Posted: 12/25/2010 5:16:28 PM
Rather simplistic is it not to blame the Clintons...or is their influence so great it has crossed boundaries and continents?

But then there are those who see that some social issues go a little further than their own geographical boundaries....but then it would suggest having a little appreciation of things other than what the right wing Christian or small c ideology is espousing?

Would a more prudent or perhaps enlightened person not look at the 1960's and the changes in the divorce rate and its affect on the children and grandchildren? After all i was born a bastar*, or of an unwed mother...something that was heavily frowned on where today there are social services and greater acceptance in society of the situation....as opposed to the simple minded suggestion it was Clintons sex education...Next he will be telling us the Ronnie Regan just say "No to drugs" is actually an enlightened and effective program...better put...win one for the gipper!!

In the U.S. and Western Europe, "It is likely that the frequency of one-parent families, at least as a transitional family stage in the life course, will increase or remain high. These families are highly vulnerable, since most are headed by women, whose social position is still relatively weaker than that of men. These women have to cope with the existing incompatibilities between gainful employment and family life, especially child care." (4).

4. Robert Cliquet, "Major Trends Affecting Families In the New Millennium – Western Europe and North America," Major Trends Affecting Families: A Background Document, Report for United Nations, Department of Economic and Social Affairs, Division for Social Policy and Development, Program on the Family (2003), p. 26. Archived at:

53 percent

The increase in the number of one-parent families in Australia from 1986 and 2001. That is over 14 times the growth in the number of couple families with children (which increased by just three percent.). 23.

23. "Living Arrangements: Changing Families," Australian Social Trends: Family and Community, Australian Bureau of Statistics (April 22, 2004). Accessed at: http://www.abs.gov.au/Ausstats/abs@.nsf/94713ad445ff1425ca25682000192af2/ea563423fdbffd30ca256d39001bc33c!OpenDocument on August 13, 2005.

One really should stop listening to the christian right wing when they need to have answers about why things are occurring in society and around the world.

Or would you like to suggest that Clinton cast that great an influence?

Rather than looking for a second or third partner in your open relationship perhaps a little more reading in respect to social dynamics in and around your country and parallels or differences with other countries?

After all in your profile you seem to suggest you want a woman with some level of intelligence?
 1234deleted1234
Msg: 110
Posted: 12/25/2010 5:58:57 PM
Rather than looking for a second or third partner in your open relationship perhaps a little more reading in respect to social dynamics in and around your country and parallels or differences with other countries?

Naw, I'm having too much fun!
And what concern is it of yours what kind of relationship I have?
If you'd like to join in a thread about open relationships ill be happy to engage you there.

I do think the Clintons were VERY influential across the world actually! They helped bring U.S. in line with most other countries in very bad ways mostly. IMHO.
Overall though they were still just a product of the times too...the entire world us going more left. The most conservative president recently was Reagan, a former Democrat! He didn't move right BTW, the parties moved left. JFK, a Democrat, if running today would be labelled a far right wing nut job! After all he DID try to eliminate the Federal Reserve!

As for the war on drugs... its a sham! It helped CREATE a bigger problem....they made fighting it profitable to the police agencies.....big mistake! Why would the agencies slaughter the cow when they milk it forever?

The whole problem with politicians is they are too weak to really tell us the hard facts do they come up with feel good programs to placate an already apathetic public who fail to look beyond the feeling of helping. They don't see the real costs. I'm a fan of government basics...let the social stuff be handled at the community level...just like it used to be!

As far as either side of the aisle goes, they can all stay out of our bedrooms and homes...beyond protecting the innocent/helpless victims....otherwise stay out.
 Tealwood
Msg: 111
Posted: 12/25/2010 6:10:07 PM
The state has no business in the bedrooms of the nation. Pierre Trudeau.

I never would listen to any politician in terms of understanding what is going on in the world. They are never able to actually tell the whole truth as opposed to how they can spin it to suit their own agendas.

LOL

And have a Merry Christmas

barefootkitten
Msg: 114
Posted: 12/26/2010 1:14:00 PM

The "gold plated pension plan" is teacher funded, btw. Other professions and industries could copy the model if they wanted to. Not everyone wants that much taken off their paycheques. You are correct, though, that there are way more female teachers than male.
Yep, I pay about 1 1/2 times towards the pension plan than I do to income tax, per paycheck.
 nelli_88
Msg: 120
Posted: 1/2/2011 8:41:42 PM
I find it funny that you say 'old fashioned views' Back in the day if you were 22 and unmarried you were considered an old maid and basically off the marriage market. You married around age 14 and didnt stop having kids until you hit menopause or you misscarried to many times to have children. So maybe its your 'new fashioned ideas'?
 mrcs84
Msg: 121
view profile
History
Posted: 1/3/2011 9:47:51 PM

Ummmm .... did you not get my point that people get caught up in poverty cycles?
Young women falling pregnant without means to support a child is part and parcel of poverty cycles.

There are plenty of single mothers, aged 18-22, that didn't come from impoverished families. But I guess you are going to ignore that.

How on earth can you 'control' for those things???
You cannot.

You obviously don't know that it means to control for something. It means that you're factoring out circumstances where other influences have to be considered...such as lack of money.

did they control for that?

The links to the references are in to footnotes. Did you bother to read any of them?

Set some young single mothers up with high incomes, place them in a decent suburb and educate them. Then see what the outcomes are.

If those single mothers fail to bring up healthy well-adjusted children simply due to the children growing up in a 'fatherless home' - then I'll believe it.

So you're basically asking them to do what they already proclaimed to do....control for certain factors.
 mrcs84
Msg: 124
view profile
History
Posted: 1/27/2011 10:44:35 AM

Because there is no male pill
Because she wanted a kid and he just wanted to get laid
Because the condom failed
Because he trusted her when she said that she was on the pill, and perhaps she was for a while, then one day she "forgot."
Because she wasn't competent enough to use some non-pill form of contraception properly
Because most guys do not -want- to raise a child they didn't want in the first place.
Because women are reckless/selfish with having kids and don't look at the repercussions of their actions.
Because emotions and logic don't mesh well together
Because there is a lax in sex education in schools

I always wonder what this world would be like if the children were products of two parents that actually wanted children (with each other) before the sex act.
 mrcs84
Msg: 127
view profile
History
Posted: 1/30/2011 11:18:41 AM

Also seriously how hard is it to carry condoms in your wallets?

You obviously aren't aware that keeping condoms in warm places instead of cool places is really bad for the condom, especially considering all of the wear that the condom will get from being in a wallet for X amount of time.

Interesting that you bash when I say this:

Because women are reckless/selfish with having kids and don't look at the repercussions of their actions.

and yet in a prior part of the same post, you say this...

Yeah okay, maybe in some cases, but usually if a girl is thinking that way she hasn't thought about the long term consequences, and is looking for someone to love her unconditionally because she never got that... - bad parenting.

Which is essentially you accepting the fact that there are women that have selfish/reckless attitudes when it comes to children.

Yes men are such logical creatures. Yet they can be completely taken by a woman because they are in total lust and lose their ability to think rationally.

Exactly. Just like how people stay in physically/emotionally abusive relationships.

I like how most of your reasons put all the blame on the women and you men just say hey its not my fault, I was trapped. Like you men have no control of where your sperm ends up. Men are not always responsible when it comes to sex nor are women.

Considering that there is only 1 form of contraception for sexually active men who may want kids in the future, and it's also the most ineffective form of accepted contraception out there, I definitely do think that women carry more responsibility. Men [who run away] may risk the financial aspect of children, but women risk financial, social, emotional, and physical aspects of children. Lion's share of the repercussions and choices should also equate to the lion's share of the responsibility.

However some men will not raise the child they claimed to want in the first place

"Claim" being the active word. Just like how men "claim" that they are sterile or women "claim" that they are on the pill.

There are men out there that try to get a girl pregnant because they like making babies and not owning up the responsibility.

This sounds beyond ludicrous, and even if it's true, the minority of it is probably too small to be worth mention. The infrequency of such thing is probably comparable to women who give head to a guy, and then save the sperm to try to impregnate themselves. Are there men out there men that have impregnated several women? Yes, of course. Are they -trying- to impregnate them just so that they can run away....doubtful.
 mrcs84
Msg: 128
view profile
History
Posted: 1/30/2011 11:30:50 AM

Not all kids were unplanned or accidents.

"As a general statistic, the Alan Guttmacher Institute in New York estimates that up to 49 percent of the pregnancies in the U.S. are unplanned. This includes pregnancies happening both inside marriage (or committed relationships) and those happening to single women."

http://www.ehow.com/about_4611925_unplanned-pregnancy-statistics.html

about 50% of those will end with abortion. So about 1 in 8 people in this world were the product of an accident

So yes, you're correct, but I think we can do much better.
 mrcs84
Msg: 130
view profile
History
Posted: 1/30/2011 3:39:06 PM

Giiiiiiirls!!! We have a new excuse!!!!!

It says right on the back of the condom box that you shouldn't store them in warm places. How is it an excuse to decide to not use a condom that is potentially defective? It's not that hard to stop by a gas station and buy a 3-pack instead of using one that's been in your wallet for a month.

No not all women are reckless and selfish.

Please show me where I said "all women" in any of my statements. My original list was meant to provide several reasons why there so many pregnant women age 18-22. I never stated anything about frequency of any of the reasons that I mentioned. I'm not paint brushing anything. These circumstances DO happen. I could add something else like "They find a used condom in the trash and use it to impregnate themselves," but again, those circumstances are so infrequent that they aren't even worth mention.

I can think of a time when a guy tried to impregnant me. My first, I didn't tell him I was on the pill, but he slipped off the condom during sex even though I insisted he used it when I was 19, he was 30. Wasn't enough he took my virginity he also wanted to impregnant me. And I know without a doubt I would never have seen a dime from him in child support probably as I also didn't know he had a wife. So that example alone proves that there are men out there with less than admirable intentions and just think about impregnanting a girl and not dealing with the consequences.

Also I know the reason my ex wanted us to have a baby was because I wouldn't marry him and he wanted me not to leave him so he figured if we had a baby I would be stuck with him.

This is not what you were talking about beforehand. You first said :

There are men out there that try to get a girl pregnant because they like making babies and not owning up the responsibility.

If he "figured if we had a baby I would be stuck with him," that sounds to me that he -was- willing to take up his responsibility of that child. Fuzzy logic I guess.

Where I can admit that there are some women who might be devious and not always honest about their birth control you seem to not be able to admit the same about men.

yeah, because I didn't say this or anything:

"Claim" being the active word. Just like how men "claim" that they are sterile or women "claim" that they are on the pill.

Other than that, I never said anything one way or the other in regard to men being devious. You're projecting.

Nor do I make lump generalizations like you do.

So you give one personal experience with the man who deflowered you, and what is that supposed to accomplish? We are talking about a -broad- spectrum of the -general- things that may happen on a -broad- subject. If you want to go to every single mother out there between 18 and 22 to see what she has to say, then be my guest. Until then, I will speak -generally- about this -broad- subject about the broads that keep popping out kids.

you men can't figure out a birth control for men.

Yeah damn us. We created Science, Philosophy, Medicine, Mathematics, and the super majority of the building blocks of modern society, and you're giving us crap about the male pill. I guess we don't get any slack for the FEMALE pill that we developed or any of the other 20-something forms of birth control that we developed. And just FYI, Adjudin is a prospect male pill, but it's still in stage 2 of human testing. So we're working on it.
 mrcs84
Msg: 132
view profile
History
Posted: 1/30/2011 4:58:41 PM

Yeah so if anyone gets a heart attack, stroke, blood clots, weight gain, dizziness, or uterine perforation, it will be the less valuable sex, right? We are just disposable anc ca be buried out in the backyard if a pill gives us a fatal blood clot or an iud punctures our uterus.

Nobody is holding a gun to your head to use any of them, and the aforementioned side effects are labeled on the packaging and/or discussed with you by your doctor.

If "you women" have any better forms of contraception, feel free to put them on the market.
 mrcs84
Msg: 135
view profile
History
Posted: 1/30/2011 7:20:16 PM
Are you for real? Women were herbalist, were mid-wives and then the catholic church came in and named all those women witches.

Interesting seeing how Herbalism LONG predates Catholicism. You're twisting a conversation about "creating" something into one about "participating" in something. I'll pick up a history book as soon as you can consistently argue a topic.

But isn't American society great built by men for men.

No, it's built by men for the sake of continuing the species.
-A slew of government agencies that only help women isn't exactly "for" men
-Making it so that only men have to sign up for the draft isn't exactly "for" men
-Men having longer prison terms for the same crime isn't exactly "for" men

Being a white middle class male in the US is practically a crime in itself.

I used my example because you were saying how rare it is and I doubt it is that rare as some of you men claim it to be.

So you give one single solitary example, and that is supposed to show that it isn't very rare. Come on now. Moreover, your example was not congruent with your original statement about men wanting to get women pregnant and then try to avoid their responsibilities.

Because we know us women are inferior without men and could never create/invent something, hell how do we manage to get dressed in the mornings without a man to tell us what to do.

Lolz
 mrcs84
Msg: 137
view profile
History
Posted: 1/30/2011 9:00:11 PM

I'll argue consistently when you stop making gross generalizations and assumptions about a group of people.

So instead of trying to debunk anything I say, you choose to not make sense. Good for you.

Really when the majority of Americans in prison are African American?

That's not really what I was getting at. Being a white middle class male means that you get no sort of backing from any government entity. You're made to feel sorry for any and all oppression that has happened to any other group, and you're pretty much ignored for any of the problems that you express.

And what do you give generalizations, stereotypes, assumptions based on very little evidence.

Feel free to debunk any of what I said at any time. Though, I'm willing to bet that most of the information you find as to -why- will be just as much conjecture as what I (or anyone else who has posted) have been saying.

You blame teen pregnancy entirely on the young girls and yet don't question the system.

I most certainly do no blame it entirely on young girls, and that has been reflected in my posts. You're just being selective with your reading. And moreover, even with the system at it's utmost, that won't do anything about people who -want- kids at a young age.

And 18-22 used to be the norm for pregnancy. If you didn't have a child by the time you were 22 you were considered an old maid.

You should really get over the fact that you're not in a country other than the one that you live in, and you're not in a time period than the one that you live in. Adopting/pressing the customs of other countries and/or time periods doesn't give you some sort of enlightenment.
 Capitano_Blaugh
Msg: 139
Posted: 1/31/2011 6:01:47 PM
Most of the time these teen girls are impregnated by older men who should know better. Why are these older men not dating women their own age?

Would you mind providing a source for this? You've mentioned it a couple of times and, well, you make it sound like there are guys twice or three times the ages of these girls getting them pregnant.

MOST guys who get women pregnant are older than the women because women most often CHOOSE to sleep with guys who are older than them whether the female is 14 or 40. So, yeah, a 17 year old chick is more likely to get pregnant by a 18-19 year old guy.

A female the same age as the 18-19 year old guy is more likely going to be banging the guy who's 20-21... and so on.

... how about you? Did you get pregnant with a guy who was the same age or younger?

Just throwin' that out there.

Capitano_Blaugh
Msg: 142
Posted: 2/1/2011 11:02:03 AM

All good articles about teen mothers. Do you want the paper too? "Changing our Preception of the Stigmatized Teen Mother" I did get an A+ on it.

Nah, I have no interest in seeing your paper, sorry.

I like how you used the ol' " bombard the reader with an huge bibliography" to make it more difficult to verify the facts....

... I used that same method a couple of times when I was doing my degrees.

But, since not one of the works listed in entitled, "Teenage Girls Banging Men Way Older Than Themselves Results In 99% Of All Teenage Pregnancies", I'm going to have to take your word for your assertion, I suppose....

mrcs84
Msg: 146
view profile
History
Posted: 2/2/2011 7:29:16 AM
WTF?? How come this information isn't printed on the Birth Control Pill package?

I already stated that it's printed on the back of the box that the condoms come in. Methinks you've skipped over a lot.

WTF?? How come this information isn't printed on the Birth Control Pill package?

I'm not sure what you're blathering about. User error, is probably the biggest factor in the success of any non-surgical birth control, and yet you're trying to call it semantics.

I was talking about the new excuse of why men cannot carry a condom "just in case" throwing, once again, all the responsability for birth control and STD prevention on women.

Well aside from abstinence, condoms are still the best form of STD prevention. And your "new excuse" didn't really hold water seeing how I wasn't arguing that guys shouldn't use them. I was saying that storing them in your wallet (or any warm place) is a bad idea.
 mrcs84
Msg: 147
view profile
History
Posted: 2/2/2011 11:58:33 AM

I thought I told you like 3 pages ago that you were not aloud out of the corner!!!...because lemme tell ya mrcs, your hypothetical "what if's" involving a woman actually having sex with you...are really not something you need to worry about!
Your safe...no worries. Get a new hobby before I turn you into my new one!

You can stop trolling at any time now.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 149
view profile
History
Posted: 2/6/2011 7:32:37 AM
"Some people are just best at checking what they write before they post it."
I think this would be more correctly written as " Some people are just BETTER at checking what they write before they post it." Just sayin'.
As for why there are lots of young single moms, I always thought it was because people are more fertile when young.
It's unquestionably true that the number one PREVENTIVE thing for a society to support, is better education, and the number TWO thing for them to do, is to recognize that humans are often prevented from thinking clearly in the heat of the moment by their own body chemistry. Here in the US, when I was very young (1960's), they were only JUST finally willing to let us HEAR in school, that there WAS such a thing as sex. They are STILL fighting about whether telling children how to prevent pregnancy, causes them to have MORE sex or not. And there seems to be no end of "tsk-tskers" out there, who think that by criticizing others, they show themselves to be superior, even though they contribute nothing to solutions.
 SpecificTruths
Msg: 152
Posted: 2/7/2011 7:48:56 PM

I've been told I'm too smart for my own good. Too book smarts but that doesn't equate to doing good in the system because I like to do things the hard way.

Yup...
"Smart" people do it the hard way all the time.
 sexyisback!
Msg: 154
Posted: 2/8/2011 2:50:10 PM

err, I'm guessing it's mainly because there are so few "old" single mothers "aged 18-22 " .. ??
 ohwhynot46
Msg: 156
view profile
History
Posted: 2/8/2011 7:47:24 PM
Teenagers ARE "perfect idiots", and CS is quite right. Isolated incidents don't change facts. As much as I often agree with many of those who post here, the truth is that anyone who engages in sexual activity has no excuse not to carry condoms, if they don't wish to deal with the potential consequence, and anyone who doesn't want to procreate should ensure that they prevent pregnancy, gender aside. We all know the potential outcomes, whether we feel they are "fair" or not. We have to take responsibility for our actions. There is no excuse, unless, of course, one fears they may run out of argument on the pof forums.
 mrcs84
Msg: 159
view profile
History
Posted: 4/7/2011 6:23:26 AM
-Pregnancy pacts in high schools seem to be the new "in" thing.
-Juno was a pretty high selling movie.
-The media in general has done a pretty good job of glorifying sex
-The government set it up so that squirting out a kid will get you all kinds of benefits/assistance for your [bad] choices.
-Not enough teens are having butt-sex. lolz

http://blogs.creativeloafing.com/dailyloaf/files/2010/01/teen-pregnancy.jpg
 Tealwood
Msg: 160
Posted: 5/8/2011 4:57:17 PM

are 18 or 20 without a bloke? surely its better that they embrace their roles and are passionate. plus it usually takes a dead beat father to make a single mum, who is the one to be pointed at out of the two? The deadbeat not the hardworking mum!

Deadbeats are found on both sides of the gender divide!!! But why not discuss along with arguments of it takes Two to tango!!! financial responsibility...and two parties willing and able to be financially providing for their children?

But we have a bevy of single mothers not working...not working full time...or playing at being a student?

As opposed to the custodial fathers and the high percentage of full time employment and doing what is required on their own as opposed to living off the state or living off what they feel entitled to?

But then it seems you list student???? mid 20's????,,,,,perhaps you have a reason for starting a family without the education and without a career? So where does deadbeat start when you are unable to provide for children...on either side of the gender divide?
 Tealwood
Msg: 161
Posted: 5/9/2011 3:46:06 AM
LOL

Well I had different types of roll models....both of my mothers worked full time !!!

Along with my Mom who drove me or facilitated my getting to soccer football and hockey games....

My biological mother who knew she would not be able to financially provide for me put me up for adoption....rather than live off government handouts....but she came out of farm country where they valued self sufficiency and integrity!

So I do not see it as toxic....just a lack of enabling freeloaders or deadbeats who live off society while they look for work...look for reasons not to work....or not to work full time......but then I have that same lack of respect for either gender who is unwilling to pay their own way in life...to live up to their financial responsibilities....you lizzie only talk about the father being financially responsible.....one day ....that free pass may be gone....or the very least....the kids gone....and youth gone....you will be required to pay your own way ....and one wonders...if you will be capable...???

But then you no doubt will be there hand held out looking for someone to pay for you...stating you were disadvantaged raising all those kids.....looking forever at society to pay for your lot in life.....
Show ALL Forums  > Single Parents  >