Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 mcbobly
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Last time you were told I Love you?Page 5 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)

It hit me kind of hard that it has been over 10 years since I've had an unrelated (i.e. family) man say that to me.

Well I don't want a non family man to tell me that, but it has been too many years since I have heard those words spoken to me with sincerity. And looks as though it might well be a few more years before I hear them spoken that way again too, bummer.
 OhioIrr
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Last time you were told I Love you?
Posted: 1/3/2009 1:53:08 AM
It has been a long time since I have heard those words spoken to me from someone not in my family. The last time I said it was 5 years ago...
 Onceuponatime61
Msg: 25
Posted: 1/3/2009 8:58:14 AM
Hey 2 of the hottest women on the planet told me they loved me last night on the phone. My Mom always tells me she loves me on the phone and I always tell her that too. An then my long time female friend, we say "love ya" before hanging up too.
Yeah I'd say 10 years is a long time.
 kenpoboy
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 1/3/2009 6:22:07 PM
Way too long. But I'm still hopeful.
 Zephyr2553
Msg: 32
Posted: 1/4/2009 7:30:38 AM
I can look in the mirror, gaze deeply into my own eyes and say with all sincerity, "I love you!"

I think thats narcisism.....but not really. How can you love someone else if you can't love yourself first?

If you love yourself you can drop about 2/3 of the baggage most people carry into a relationship.
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 33
Posted: 1/4/2009 7:55:34 AM

I was watching a movie tonight and during the dating period he told her "I Love You." It hit me kind of hard that it has been over 10 years since I've had an unrelated (i.e. family) man say that to me.

Hmmm . . . I don't know which is worse: not hearing "I love you" and wanting to hear it, or having someone whom you don't love say it to you.

There has not been a void in my life, as yet, of hearing someone outside my family telling me that he loves me. That doesn't mean that I am inundated with men telling me that, but rather, up to this point, it hasn't bothered me.

However, I dated a man last year who, on first having sex, said, "I love you." I responded, "No, you don't." We "argued" about it for about five minutes, then he said, "OK, I adore you."

I can handle adoration.

For three months, he told me that he loved me, and I never reciprocated because I didn't love him. When I broke it off, I asked if he had noticed my omission. He said, "Yes, but that is just because you are incapable of telling people that you love them." (He was a psychologist.)

No, it just means that those words are reserved for people whom I truly love.

I would rather wait and hear "I love you" from a man who truly does love me and whom I love. I am willing to spend that time waiting.

Edit:
And then again, Byron wrote:
"Man's love is of man's life a thing apart,
'Tis woman's whole existence."

Byron lived in a different world and had the romantic's view of life and the universe; times have changed.
 OutMind
Msg: 34
Posted: 1/4/2009 8:07:23 AM
Everything is relative. Someone said that to me only a few days ago. And now we are having huge fights. Hmmm. Go figure.
 10of6
Msg: 36
Posted: 1/4/2009 8:31:28 AM
10 of 6...I will love you.

OBA! Not bad for just a few days into 2009. Thanks, Tracy91007!
 GoneSailinBabe
Msg: 37
Posted: 1/4/2009 9:16:51 AM
Had it said?
All the freaking time.

Had it mean something and actually believed the man meant it?

New Year's Eve last year. Reunited (total accident) with a lover from 8 years before, the entire thing was surreal, but tangibly incredible. He spent the entire night (and part of the next day) telling me and showing me that he loved me.

That sort of love, I'd walk across molten lava for ten years to have again. Beyond words the feel of it.

It was nice, while it lasted. And ya da ya da ya da to those who say if it was love it doesn't end.

Ya, you're right. It was and is love, but that still doesn't make it a long term relationship and those things happening simultaneously would be the best answer. It just doesn't always happen that way. Get real.
 hard starboard
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 1/4/2009 9:41:12 AM
It's been over 4 years... probably a little longer in which I actually believed it. But it's comforting to hear that you can go at least 10 years without it being fatal.
 fancynanci
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 1/4/2009 9:20:24 PM
Daily - by my children. By a man I love? A year.
 ernstt
Msg: 40
Posted: 1/5/2009 11:43:33 PM
let me see, the last time i was told i love you, i would say that was yesterday when i said it to myself
 Popcorn included
Msg: 43
Posted: 1/6/2009 11:44:38 AM
Men and Women use the word in dating (I love you) with in just a Day of dating or a few weeks, months. It is over used in the relationship, Because it is not Meant in the right context. When we get married We tell are partners how much we love them knowing it will last for ever, but when it dose not. The word [lost its value]. I tell many people, children, my kids that I love them every day but I truly mean it with all my soul, I am here no matter what they have to go through, I hold them in my arms when they get hurt, or lose a job, when they fail a exam for college or when they are sick. The word (I LOVE YOU). is to be told to a person that you adore, you care more for then yourself needs.

However a man the first time he has sex with a women, falls madly in love with her for the closeness brings his soul to say, [ I LOVE YOU], as the women it takes time, to see if the man is going to stay around. The man expects to be told it every few hours of the day very needy, but the women only 'says it when she truly means it' For ME! I do not say it or will not be forced into telling you that "I love you" unless I mean it.

I however have been told that a man loves me but hear me out! If a man loved me so much and this word is meant to be a lasting for ever. I love you for ever! THEN WHY AM I SINGLE AT 46YRS OLD?????????????

Then that tells me, it has been over 32yrs since someone has told me they loved me and still never meant it..... 42YRS OF BEING TOLD [I LOVE YOU] AND IF THEY DID LOVE ME THAT MUCH, THEN WHY ARE THEY NOT IN MY ARMS EVERY NIGHT BEFORE I GO TO SLEEP, AND EVERY MORNING WHEN I WAKE UP??????????

Because, the words..... {I LOVE YOU} HAVE LOST THERE VALUE!
 Ms_Lookn4fun
Msg: 47
Posted: 1/8/2009 8:10:31 PM
tonight, several times by my guy
11 months together this weekend and I did not meet him on POF, I was actually out dancing with my friends at a local bar (Missouri) and he was dancing alone all night long.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >