Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 *buzz*
Msg: 55
view profile
History
Your intentions when you Joined POF...Page 2 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
Well, me being me, I did hope stumbling across an exception to the rule and I can honestly say that on virtual wavelengths this exception has materialised several times.

Several years on ... I am very grateful to this site for finding and having wonderful friends who do bring sunshine into my life.
My motto still is: "Never say never"
 That_girl*
Msg: 56
Your intentions when you Joined POF...
Posted: 1/13/2009 4:52:38 PM
my intention with the whole internet thing back when i was new to it 3 years ago was to find a partner for dating an longterm,, however over the course of time now my intentions for still being here an joining other sites is just to make new friends wether male or female an to stay in the forums..

but my door is still kinda cracked open a little bit for that special somebody if they ever come along 1 day other wise after awhile i'm gonna shut my door for good...
 Cynderella
Msg: 61
view profile
History
Posted: 1/14/2009 5:41:32 PM
I was not into the bar, worked there too long to know not much good comes outta that.
Shy
Lonely
After I dipped my feet in...
I found the place nuts.
So...
I was here only for the forums.
Now...
To find a life long partner!
I HOPE!
 Sherlock101
Msg: 65
view profile
History
Posted: 1/15/2009 7:37:27 PM
I joined to better my chances. Not living in a big city sure dwindles your chances of meeting that special someone. The forums and a few friends I've met on POF is for the most part why I'm still here. Getting close to taking a break though.

What I've learned, the internet has changed some people for sure. I can't believe how many women have become somewhat stuck up, "to say it nicely," just because they put up a cleavage or sexy photo. They get hammered with emails from any bone head with a keyboard and all of the sudden they're a princess. "I don't think all are this way so don't flame me."

I'm also kind of shocked about what little common respect and courtesy I see and read. I like the forums for all the different opinions and of coarse the jocularity. I've been known to change my opinion about something after reading several opinions of others but I can also see many are just to hard headed to ever look at something a different way.

Well that's some of the negative stuff but there are still many good people out there. Just surprised the % isn't what I thought it would be.
 singleagain66
Msg: 66
Posted: 1/16/2009 2:47:07 PM
My intentions went from trying to find someone special to friends to now just the forum. The reason being will I am not gonna say but lets just say alot of people think they gonna find that Perfect one that don't exsists. Am still looking for Friends only but I come for the forum till I get in a relationship which in my case will be no time soon.
 carelesswhisper00
Msg: 67
Posted: 1/16/2009 4:34:45 PM
My intentions of when I joined were to meet some nice guys and see where it goes. Well, I have met some nice guys, but I wasn't into them as they seemed to be into me. So, I took a break and regrouped but had to wonder why I attract the wrong kind. I am still here but I don't look for anything more than meeting someone and see where it goes anymore....now if it happens ..it happens, if it don't it don't ......no expectations.
 Perfctly_Imperfct
Msg: 68
Posted: 1/16/2009 10:40:20 PM
I joined and didn't log on for weeeeeeeeeks.

I came back a week ago? To meet men/women, make friends mostly. I basically like talking to people and the forums have become another form of e-entertainment in the meantime. I guess I'm skeptical when it comes to dating sites, I feel best searching out for new friends for now and who knows what's in store for me later on down the road?? I'm in no rush really!
 coltans1965
Msg: 69
Posted: 1/17/2009 6:12:52 PM
I will be honest, I joined POF beacuse it's the only site I know of that is totally free and you can e-mail as many people as you want and if they e-mail you, you can actually read the messages.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 71
Posted: 1/17/2009 6:20:30 PM
I joined as moral support with a friend who got divorced, and over three years later I am still here because I love the forums. I have met a guy or two since then and made a few friends, but my intention never was to hunt anyone down to date.
 airnomad
Msg: 76
Posted: 1/20/2009 11:29:37 PM
well i wanted to take a peek.........now its the FORUMS that i like!
Msg: 77
Posted: 1/21/2009 12:23:00 AM
I joined a while ago with the basic intent of meeting different women who weren't 'friends of friends' etc, someone outside the local gene pool.

It wasn't until quite recently that I added up the time I spent on the site with forums/profile/pics/making contact/emails etc, that I realized the time/success ratio was quite low compared to meeting people in the outside world. Henceforth I've decided to spend less time online and more in actual face to face situations. I still love the forums the best but I think that no matter how well you write your profile or how many recent images you post something is always lost in translation and you are at square one when you actually meet face to face.
 Glenoran1
Msg: 86
Posted: 6/12/2009 10:33:51 PM
I joined to find the second love of my life. Looking for lightning to strike twice in the same place (wry grin).

I have chatted with a couple of very kind fellows who I communicate with platonically. We aren't matches for each other, but we stay in touch by e-mail or POF messaging. I appreciate it, and it helps reduce the loneliness in the meantime.
 miska1
Msg: 88
Posted: 6/14/2009 6:02:40 AM
I have trouble meeting men IRL that want an eventual LT. I thought this would work..............hmmmmmmmmmmmm not so much, met a couple creepy ones, a couple players, and a couple real nice ones, and have talked to scads of guys....................I am more on here for the forums than anything now
 kpooks
Msg: 90
view profile
History
Posted: 6/14/2009 8:33:46 AM
My intentions are the same as when I first joined--to find a lover to poke who also happens to be a cool person I consider a good friend.
 miska1
Msg: 96
Posted: 6/14/2009 5:20:46 PM
Glacier Rider...............PLEASE UP YOUR MEDS OR GET THEM ADJUSTED BY YOUR DOC.............HELL AT THIS POINT I WISH YOU WOULD QUIT TWEEKING IF THAT IS WHAT YOU'RE DOING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yeah I'll probably get reported
 army3
Msg: 98
Posted: 6/15/2009 8:40:08 PM
Origionally I was throwing my line out behind the boat and keeping an eye on it. I keep coming up with barracudas, suckerfish, blowfish........ nothing really worth keeping to me. I'm starting to wonderif I will ever find that fabled salmonthat's supposedly out there somewhere.
 rainman12
Msg: 101
view profile
History
Posted: 11/26/2009 11:12:57 AM
Lol - my friends had intentions for me when they set up my profile.

My intentions when I revamped my profile were to talk to interesting women and take it from there. Still my intention, but I do like the forums.
 DudeistPriest
Msg: 103
Posted: 11/26/2009 12:09:18 PM
Honestly, I had no intention of using this site. A friend of my joined and asked me to look at her profile and give her some male feedback and advice about it. Of course to do so I had to sign on, which I did, and of course she followed none of my advice. I let the account sit for several months before I actually started visiting the site regularly.
 Genuine_Gentleman_For_You
Msg: 104
Posted: 11/26/2009 2:56:29 PM
I joined this site with the intention of finding love. And that still holds true for me today. Now this is my third foray on this site. Nothing came of it during the first and second time. And it's not been looking good this time around either. I do enjoy the forums though. And that is probably the main reason I am still here. That and I'm clinging onto what seems to be an ever fleeting hope that I will find love.
 Nightfall301
Msg: 105
Posted: 11/26/2009 9:30:28 PM
I went through a phase where I wanted to try out the dating sites out there, since my real-world exploits were pretty much non-existent. Unfortunately I found this site a little late. Oh, not for finding someone - I still haven't done that. No, it was too late for the blows my bank account took for the promises other sites offered.
I'm sure everyone's heard of eHarmony. They were by far the most expensive, and very restrictive in their contact procedures. They also seemed to attract more high-level flakes than the others... the women all wanting their Brad Pitt with a brain, personality, and morals. A very shiny veneer for a meat market.
Then there's Yahoo Personals. They actually seemed a little more promising, as I actually got some messages from some decent-sounding females before I even payed for membership. Turns out they were all fakes. The real shocker came when I started trying to contact the ones I determined were real - they couldn't send any replies. Apparently, Yahoo's big match-making secret is that both parties must be willing to pay in order to even talk to each other. Ah, yes, a great determiner of romantic suitability.
Then it was SinglesNet. They turned out to be a quantity, rather than quality, arrangement. Regular as clockwork, twice daily, an e-mail announcing a potential match would arrive. Every one was a terrible match (smokers, when I said I wanted none, for instance). After a while, the sequence would repeat. Apparently, my attention span was longer than they expected, and I wasn't supposed to notice they were matching me to people I'd already shown no interest in.
Cupid was actually not all that bad, but has discouragingly few people (at least in my area)... so I never did buy a membership there.
And through all these exercises, I noticed quite a few women had profiles on two or more of those sites, and were apparently not having much luck, either. I stumbled across POF quite by accident - and the above experiences had left me a bit jaded. Here was a relatively unpolished-looking site, claiming free communication - yeah, right. Where's the catch? Only the catch never came. And I recognized a few women from those other sites had profiles here, as well. So, none of those other sites got a renewal from me.
 apoc81
Msg: 114
Posted: 11/28/2009 7:50:53 PM
Just to see what was here. While i've seen a few interesting profiles, there isn't a lot to work with if your not looking for women with children (no offense to those ladies, but when I have kids, I want them to be mine). Aside from that, i've messaged 3 women on this site since i've been here. One responded and it turned out she wasn't as interesting as she seemed in her profile, the other 2 read the messages and never replied. All good either way, they were shots in the dark.

It seems my foray into online dating will be short, and mostly pointless. But it didnt hurt to look. There are some beautiful women here, but few of them are anyway near my part of Canada.

I definately didnt come here thinking that I would find love. Just that I might meet some interesting people, and possibly have something good come of it.
 all about animals
Msg: 120
Posted: 11/29/2009 11:13:23 AM
My intentions were like most here ... to meet someone and I have seen some interesting women listing from my area. But I still balk at making contact , coming up with excuse after excuse. I never thought a dating site was my thing but gave it a shot anyway.

What amazes me about this place is seeing so many gorgeous women here , from all over the world ... ones that after looking at and reading their profiles, I'd think would never have to resort to a dating site.
 PittsburghVixen
Msg: 125
Posted: 11/29/2009 6:26:13 PM
I stopped going to bars to meet men while I was in my 30s, because I don't like to hang out with drunks; I don't want to "fish" in church; the local supermarket does NOT attract the type of guys whom I'd want to meet in the produce section; and the men I run into at the hockey games are already spoken for.

So...I have been dating in "nontraditional" ways since the mid-80s. When I divorced my first husband, I was living in the Philadelphia area so I used the personal ads in Philadelphia Magazine, and had pretty decent dating success with that. After I moved away from there, I used the personal ads in the local shopper's guide (this was before sites like PoF existed) and I met my second husband through those ads. When I began dating again a couple of years after he died, I was fortunate enough to meet a gentleman on Match.com with whom I enjoyed a five-year relationship. Why not use PoF? The best parts are (1) there are lots of people on here, (2) the forum feature is a lot of fun and (3) it's free!
 becca-ishere
Msg: 128
Posted: 11/30/2009 5:10:18 AM
I joined because I was hoping to meet a few guys and date some. I want long term.
A friend told me the site was free. I wanted to meet an honest man and have a monogamus relationship. I have chatted with a few nice men. But, at present time I am into one man I have met on here and he has caught me hook, line, and sinker. I hope to keep him looking this way.
 Looking For......
Msg: 129
Posted: 11/30/2009 6:59:56 PM
give me a better alternative and i'm there lol
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  >