Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 GeekedNow
Msg: 84
Ever been asked,Why aren't you married?Page 3 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)
I find the question pasted a level 1 inquiry to be rude.

I have been interrogated at work about it during a small meeting to the point where I felt I should have contacted HR.

Although it is an insulting question its also a strong sign of complete stupidity on the one asking for reasons I could write a wall of text on but I would rather not.
 SweetGaPeachy
Msg: 89
Ever been asked,Why aren't you married?
Posted: 8/10/2009 1:34:18 PM
I like your reply.Good one!
 DreamyMaryAlice
Msg: 91
view profile
History
Posted: 4/7/2012 6:35:53 PM
yes alot of times, i asked my cousins, how could stand being bossed around by a guy, told not to go here and there, without them, being with a guy 24/7 would drive me nuts lol, guess thats why i ain't married yet, die without a man in my life, i did have 2 kids tho, also have 3 grankids, but i like my freedom, my own space, being single, i'm my own boss, maybe if i meet a guy who can stand me, than i might get married
 mysticalgypsy42
Msg: 92
view profile
History
Posted: 4/7/2012 7:07:10 PM
Lots of people assume that I have been married as I have had a child or just figure at my age, I would have had to be. Come on folks, not all of us have found someone to spend our lives with. I am very thankful that I did not marry and am enjoying life. Do I leave the door open so that if then right guy comes along? Yes, but I am not going to sit around and wait for him. Someday, I will meet a guy that fits with my lifestyle, but if not, that is fine too. Life is for enjoying no matter what...
 Discerning Virtuosa
Msg: 93
Posted: 4/7/2012 9:09:05 PM
I get asked why i have never been married all the time. Because they think just because I'm easy on the eyes, that I must be deeply flawed below the surface. Lol now I keep my answer short - I simply haven't met my prince charming yet. Like one of the posters above, I get a little miffed when someone who is rarely ever NOT in a relationship giving me unsolicited advice when they know I am actively looking for a mate. They say you need to be happy with yourself, blah blah blah. I'm quite pleased with myself, but having myself as a lover night after night gets a bit old. Spooning is also difficult.
 Gemmie47
Msg: 94
Posted: 4/10/2012 7:34:21 AM
I have an excellent track record for picking the wrong man. I have been single for 9 years and at 65 I still have people ask me why I'm not married. One of my old answers was "Just because your miserable, why do you want me to be." They knew I was kidding but people seem to think you have to be married to be happy. I agree with a previous poster..I come and go when I please, clean house when I want to, don't cook but rather microwave. But marriage would be the ideal if you are wise enough to choose the right mate.
 moonbeamlover
Msg: 95
Posted: 4/12/2012 8:59:43 AM
People who know me well and know how my marriage was never ever ask me that; they are thrilled for me I'm single rather than in what I was before lol.

The people I meet in real life whether in work, social or strangers, almost always express amazement I'm single and ask why I'm not married or with someone, and I never know if I am supposed to feel flattered or offended or both lol
 browneyesboo
Msg: 96
Posted: 4/12/2012 9:17:20 AM
People just assume I'm married. I'm not sure why. I never talk
about a husband or a boyfriend. I was married for 29 years but
I've been divorced now for almost 12.

People never ask why I'm not married, they just start talking
about the husband I don't have, like what did your husband
think of the show you went to the other night? HUH? WTF?

I can't figure out why these people think my demeanor means
I'm married, so I'm also not sure if I'm being insulted or
complimented.

Of course I'm talking about IRL. People in here know I'm single
because they can't imagine anyone wanting to be married to me.

ahahahahahahahaha!
 nativerock
Msg: 97
Posted: 4/12/2012 9:32:07 AM
Just tell them because it would take at least a dozen men to satisfy you.. That usually gets them running for cover

nativerock
 SnowMoon2012
Msg: 98
Posted: 4/12/2012 10:42:28 AM
I put a stop to that at a dinner party one night when rudely asked why I did not have a boyfriend by casually glancing around the table at they're husbands and quietly answered who says I don't...

as for strangers who ask I find a blank stare and staying silent the best tact... eventually they became embarrassed and change the subject...
 Bodypr08
Msg: 99
Posted: 4/13/2012 3:57:22 AM
Yes, I've been asked, "Probably because of my chronic instability."
 Sciencetreker
Msg: 100
view profile
History
Posted: 4/13/2012 7:19:52 AM
Depends who is doing the asking:

On the first date with my girlfried she asked why I hadn't remarried after all these years. I took her hand, looked her straight in the eyes and told her:

'Because I hadn't met you'.

Sometimes a woman I've been doing a project with or in hiking group has asked and perhaps they are trying to figure out if I'm gay. Older people will as but it more like 'Why don't you want to get married'?...as if I'm 25 years old and don't know what I'm missing (homemade meals, etc.)
 *mae* flowers
Msg: 101
Posted: 4/13/2012 7:40:21 AM
I had to fly back home for a funeral in September and after the service everyone was invited back to the community hall for refreshments...you know how it is? Anyhow, out popped * the question* from one of my Aunties not five minutes into the conversation. "I just haven't met the right guy I guess" was my reply. And the strange thing is, the way she looked at my and patted my hand...I actually got the impression she felt sorry for me.

Why is it that so many people take for granted that if you're not married or at least in a committed relationship you're unhappy, or lonely? And they look at you like you have two heads when you tell them you're quite content with your single lifestyle?

I posted that six years ago, I was a newbie at the time ....six years have gone by and not a damn thing has changed.. Lol.... except now if I'm asked the question as to why I'm not married I just reply with, " I haven't yet found anyone who is willing to put up with me that's why.

...mae
 Moonchild51
Msg: 102
view profile
History
Posted: 4/13/2012 7:42:14 AM

I put a stop to that at a dinner party one night when rudely asked why I did not have a boyfriend by casually glancing around the table at they're husbands and quietly answered who says I don't...

This one simply made me lol...good good answer!!! Need to remember that one. I am sometimes appalled by the crassness of people who blurt out "why not married, no man in your life" in front of whoever happens to be there at the time. We should all just flip it around and ask them "why they are married"? lol...

I usually say that I have a very high allergy to marriage...
 c_deacon
Msg: 103
view profile
History
Posted: 4/13/2012 9:24:56 AM
I usually just tell those that mean well, that I am happy with how things are right now, and those that are just stupid about it......that I am waiting for that one to not be married first......;)

Many mean well, and think that if for no other reason, we should not grow old without a companion, and for me, I just shake my head and say "to late"......and that my money is better spent on long term health care over spending it on someone that wants me to be there for them and the lawyers when the divorce happens.

cd
 Bodypr08
Msg: 104
Posted: 4/13/2012 9:52:44 AM
Nobody really asks me that question anyway. They just look at me and--they know.
 twohourbreaks
Msg: 105
Posted: 4/14/2012 7:42:12 PM
They really want to ask, "What's wrong with you that you're not married?" Break it down ok :)
 cap_n_mORGAN
Msg: 106
Posted: 4/14/2012 7:55:13 PM

Many mean well, and think that if for no other reason, we should not grow old without a companion, and for me, I just shake my head and say "to late"......and that my money is better spent on long term health care over spending it on someone that wants me to be there for them and the lawyers when the divorce happens.

I agree 100%!

I can come and go as I please I live on the Gulf coast of Florida, my home is paid for and my work allows for a couple of months time off at least twice a year.

I can road trip most anytime I want........Life is better than it ever has been.

Why would I want to is the better question.
 nubeginnings64
Msg: 107
Posted: 4/15/2012 8:12:44 AM
I haven't been as fortunate as you in finding such good men & I'm patiently waiting for one of you to die to stake my claim.
 1388SmartBlonde
Msg: 108
Posted: 4/18/2012 9:00:30 PM
I have had a steady beau for a year so I do get asked why we have not married already. Truth is, alimony which goes toward my retirement account goes away if I remarry. Unless my beau can come up with a fat dowry that I can put in my personal Roth IRA before we walk down the aisle, I am far better off financially if I stay single...at least for the next 4 years .

But I when I am asked that question, I tell them that the only man my age that I find even remotely interesting enough to marry is already dating my ex-husband. That one usually shuts them up.
 ecochick1962
Msg: 109
Posted: 4/18/2012 9:14:25 PM
I say, "I'm an unclaimed treasure."
 catalina_view
Msg: 110
Posted: 4/19/2012 7:09:57 AM
Because I'm currently under investigation by Met Life (hey, they all died of natural causes I swear and I'd give back every penny for one more day with any of them) and when that's over I'll remarry.
 Casper66
Msg: 111
view profile
History
Posted: 4/19/2012 10:07:49 AM
Yes I've had people ask me this too, thou it isn't any of their business, I just say I haven't found the right one yet, then I describe in detail all the fun things I get to do with all that free time I have, I love the looks on their faces, crazy how they seem to think that being single is some horrible lonely existence. Thankfully the whole why I don't have kids has past now that I'm older, but I have had a few dates that said it was a redflag that I hadn't been married before, this coming from someone who's marriage didn't last a year, I just laughed.
 DameWrite
Msg: 112
view profile
History
Posted: 4/19/2012 8:07:04 PM
Yes and my answer...
I could never marry someone who'd want to marry me!
 Can_It_Really_Be_True
Msg: 113
Posted: 4/24/2012 10:50:28 PM
Well, I've been asked that on every single date I've ever been on in my life and always from men who just can't believe that I'm not married and then that's the last date that I have with them and the last time I hear from them!

I'm just used to it now and tend not to respond but just ask them another question instead.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  >